Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2020, 19:46   #106
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Had the opportunity to test drive the Hyundai Creta 1.4 Turbo last week at Blue Hyundai,Bengaluru.
Model was top of the line SX(O) variant. As we are looking to buy a midsize SUV, I will be making comparisons with the Kia Seltos.
My observations:
1. The motor is a stonker. Very good driveability in the city and isn't afraid to put out more horses when pushed hard. Almost gave me a pushback to the seat. After driving an average Hyundai NA motor for a long time, this felt like an upgrade.
2. Paddle shifters are a delight to use with this engine gearbox combo. Sorely missed this in the Kia.
3. Panoramic Sunroof is a huge USP for this car ,and I absolutely loved it.
4. Infotainment has hard buttons for shortcuts and volume,making it that much more easier to live with than the one in the Kia Seltos. Touchscreen quality is excellent. In-built maps are nothing special.
5. Ride quality is softer than the Kia but I did feel the undulations at lower speeds.
6. The graphics felt laggy when I switched between the modes. But the modes themselves are pretty good. Eco does not dull driveability. However upon switching to sport mode, the steering did not feel heavier as it did on the Kia. This may be a one off case, fellow BHPians please do tell me if you felt otherwise.
7. The driving position is really good for my preference and is a bit higher than the Kia. Seats could have been provided with lumbar support.
8. I have made peace with its looks. The manatee may not look like mermaid,but it's fine now. Lava Orange shade is a stunner and looks amazing.
9. Back seat felt airier than the Kia, mostly because of the sunroof, pillows are a welcome addition. Thigh support is marginally better.
10. Auto hold and Electronic parking brake are a boon for Bengaluru traffic. Very usable.
11. The steering wheel feels good to hold. It's design seems less polarizing as all new Hyundais get a similar design and have normalised it. Absence of a telescopic adjustment is a shocking at this price. Kia gets it and I hope Hyundai provides it soon.
12. Alloy wheel design and color are both boring. Hyundai should've provided dual tone ones.

Overall I felt that it's an excellent package . The pano roof, paddles and the EPB with auto hold are delights. Final decision will be made after driving the diesel autos of both cars (and the harrier auto).

P.S Request to fellow BHPians: Please let me know where the Creta diesel auto is available for TD in Bengaluru.
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 20:11   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Hyundai thinks it is only short-term and hence has asked dealers to keep up the appearance of success. Dealers have been advised not to give an inch to customers in negotiations and to quote waiting periods. However, do not be surprised if you get the delivery sooner than promised
Thanks for this piece of information. It makes much more sense. All 3 dealers I've been speaking to, are offering a quick delivery (in navratras, if I book within a day or two). Have been trying to get rid of some incomprehensible charges such as "handling charges" and 3-4k additional charges for registration cost (polite word would be liason charges). But they dont seem to be budging.

All I have been able to negotiate is small freebies such as mud flaps and perfume! Although I guess one mail to hyundai can get my handling charges waived off, wouldn't mind paying 3k if I get a decent enough deal, considering this 3k may get me better after-sales service
deepakdograbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 21:20   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

As-usual an excellent review.

At the begining, in comparing with the Seltos, I was hating the looks of the Creta. But over the time after seeing so many Creta's on road, I started liking the Creta now. I personally like the looks of the black Creta, it's a looker!

With a more stronger service network, and a plusher ride, I feel the Creta makes a better buy than the Seltos.

Last edited by Samba : 28th September 2020 at 21:28.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 22:31   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
At the begining, in comparing with the Seltos, I was hating the looks of the Creta. But over the time after seeing so many Creta's on road, I started liking the Creta now. I personally like the looks of the black Creta, it's a looker!

With a more stronger service network, and a plusher ride, I feel the Creta makes a better buy than the Seltos.
+1

I, too, was dismissive of the new Creta, owing to its front looks and overall design. But it has started to grow on me now. A silver one looks very proportionate while a white one looks quite big from the front. The dashboard layout and its design in Creta is excellent. Perhaps the best dashboard in the segment.

It is tough to compare the Creta and Seltos in the lower variants (HTK and HTK+ of Seltos vs. Ex and S of Creta).

Subjective design aspects:
Exterior: Seltos marginally better than Creta.
Interiors: Creta vastly better than Seltos.

Features: Seltos offers one or two additional features as compared to Creta. e.g. HTK has reverse camera but Creta EX doesn't.

Between top variants, Creta offers panoramic sun roof while Seltos has 360 degree camera, great alloys design, HUD and lane watch/blind spot camera feature.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 05:17   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One weird piece of information I got from a birdie. Take it for what it is worth. Creta is not selling as well as Hyundai would have liked. The reason could be Covid-19, the reason could be anything else as well. Whatever the reason, stocks are lying unused with the dealers (though not to an alarming level yet).
I can sort of concur. Of all the dealers I spoke to in Pune, everyone said they had a huge demand. But I dont see as many Cretas as Seltoses in the city. In fact one can spot a Seltos every 15 minutes or so while driving. While the Creta is pretty rare. I also wonder if it is an informal arrangement/ agreement from Seoul to let Kia India build up brand value since Creta is well established. Also to note- no salesperson talks ill of the respective sister product in my discussions so far.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 09:03   #111
BHPian

Quote:
One weird piece of information I got from a birdie. Take it for what it is worth. Creta is not selling as well as Hyundai would have liked. The reason could be Covid-19, the reason could be anything else as well. Whatever the reason, stocks are lying unused with the dealers (though not to an alarming level yet). Hyundai thinks it is only short-term and hence has asked dealers to keep up the appearance of success. Dealers have been advised not to give an inch to customers in negotiations and to quote waiting periods. However, do not be surprised if you get the delivery sooner than promised and do not be surprised if you see too many Cretas in the stock yards of the dealer.
My dealership also told me it could take about 15 days to deliver the car. However, when I told him I'll book and take delivery there and then itself, a Creta quickly became available in stockyard. It was a March manufactured car being delivered to me in June end.

However, this was not the case with another dealer who insisted I place order and they'll have to ask Hyundai to ship it in 2 weeks time.

So, maybe larger dealerships are having extra stocks while smaller ones have to order them.
sarav100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 12:58   #112
BHPian

I have been informed of 3 months waiting in Mumbai !!!

Now that Hyundai is increasing rates for Creta on 1st Oct, I am suspecting whether it's a delaying tactic. My dealership is not even giving me an order number even though I booked on 20th Sep. How are these rate changes applied to cars which are already booked? Do I also have to shell out more monies, despite that I've booked my car before the rate increase?

3 month waiting period takes it to Dec and I will NOT be taking any delivery in Dec. I'd rather wait and then purchase a 2021 car. Unfortunately I've put the booking amount in so unsure of what to do now.

Any advice?
Old 29th September 2020, 13:02   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
My dealership is not even giving me an order number even though I booked on 20th Sep. How are these rate changes applied to cars which are already booked? Do I also have to shell out more monies, despite that I've booked my car before the rate increase?
Contact the Sales Manager/GM of that dealership for acquiring the update on your car.

Also 'prices at the time of delivery' is what you'll be billed irrespective of when the booking was made.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 13:23   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I have been informed of 3 months waiting in Mumbai !!!

3 month waiting period takes it to Dec and I will NOT be taking any delivery in Dec. I'd rather wait and then purchase a 2021 car. Unfortunately I've put the booking amount in so unsure of what to do now.

Any advice?
I understand that the month of the manufacture matters more than the month of delivery, in terms of resale, if that's why you are avoiding the December delivery.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 13:38   #115
Senior - BHPian

Had a test drive of a SXO1.5 diesel manual. I had made payment for an EX Petrol right after the test but I am in two minds if I should go for the E diesel instead. The diesel didn't feel anaemic and had a decent punch with 3 onboard. It is surprisingly refined for a diesel and you'd hardly notice its one except for that diesel clatter at idle. Having not driven the 1.5 NA petrol I am a bit worried it won't be as punchy.

The SA promised to price protect me. I asked it in writing. After taking the money and documents for booking on a Sunday he tells me on Monday that his boss stressed that it will be revisrd price on delivery I will have to be paying.

Luckily the SA hadn't finalized the booking because he'd ask me to decide color by Monday. Now he tells me he can wait till October price hike and he'll refund full money as opposed to the 3k cancellation charges I'd lose if the booking was confirmed. Expected price hike is 15k which means RTO will now tax the base model at 18% instead of 12% which means the onroad price will now differ by upto 50k(12.2l to 12.7l).

Now I'll wait for the Thar pricing and if the hike indeed translates to my guesstimates I may go for the Seltos instead.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 14:54   #116
Senior - BHPian

@Nithesh_M: I don't think Hyundai will increase the prices of the base variant. Price tag of 9.99 seems intentional considering the tax slabs and it does not appear reasonable to upset that.

Also, the base model of Creta 1.5 Petrol is Ex (not E) while 1.5 diesel is E.

For getting the diesel engine, you will lose the following factory fitted items:
1. Steering mounted controls.
2. 8 inch touchscreen audio system with android auto, apple car play, bluetooth, phone, 6 soeakers.
3. Front USB port (moderate importance).
4. Front light console with sunglass holder (minor feature).
5. Sharf fin antenna (dogs have broken/chewed all conventional antennas in our cars here so that they can rest comfortably on the car roof).

The OEM ICE system in Ex is compatible with after market camera and also supports DRVM.

Contrary to popular opinion, I believe in stock ICE systems as they are less prone to theft and have lower instances of battery drain etc.

Petrol indeed isn't as quick and will also likely be a fuel guzzler.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 15:18   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
@Nithesh_M: I don't think Hyundai will increase the prices of the base variant. Price tag of 9.99 seems intentional considering the tax slabs and it does not appear reasonable to upset that.

Also, the base model of Creta 1.5 Petrol is Ex (not E) while 1.5 diesel is E.
Hyundai might do what Kia did to Seltos. Keep the prices same but delete equipment from base variants.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th September 2020 at 17:11. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
sarav100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 22:00   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post

For getting the diesel engine, you will lose the following factory fitted items:
1. Steering mounted controls.
2. 8 inch touchscreen audio system with android auto, apple car play, bluetooth, phone, 6 soeakers.
3. Front USB port (moderate importance).
4. Front light console with sunglass holder (minor feature).
5. Sharf fin antenna (dogs have broken/chewed all conventional antennas in our cars here so that they can rest comfortably on the car roof).

The OEM ICE system in Ex is compatible with after market camera and also supports DRVM.

Petrol indeed isn't as quick and will also likely be a fuel guzzler.
The only reason I'm picking the Creta over the Seltos HTK was the fact that the Hyundai guys are pretty chill about modifying the heck out of the base model. Plenty of customers of the old Creta base had dealer's blessings to convert theirs into top variants.

The spares are reasonably priced compared to what Kia is charging.

Steering controls=2k
8" touchscreen= 35k.
Usb ports = jugaad work
Sunglass holder with lights = 3.5k(I think?)
Shark Fin antenna = 1.5k?

For less than 50k your E diesel can be EX.

But I heard from the SA that the price hike will be across all variants ranging from 10 to 15k. Funnily enough this happened to me when I had booked the Seltos HTK with a 3 month waiting period aswell. The HTK went from 11.8l at launch to a cool 13l in a year's time with the only change being rear usb ports.
Nithesh_M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 19:22   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Creta maintains the lead over the Seltos. Seltos must have sold a few units below Sonet seeing Kia’s overall sales.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Creta : Official Review-c0a49bfa243c4372a5b953f1333d3555.jpeg  

Hyundai Creta : Official Review-149dbf45803349ac90efaa0eae247ce6.jpeg  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 1st October 2020 at 19:24.
Old 1st October 2020, 19:35   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I understand that the month of the manufacture matters more than the month of delivery, in terms of resale, if that's why you are avoiding the December delivery.
Oh. I was under the impression that it was the month of registration. Thanks for correcting me. Helps me with my plans.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks