Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 15:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta : Official Review

Is the Creta a bit taller than the Seltos in person ? It appears so sometimes. Also, the front approach angle seems to be slightly better because of the bumper design. Any comments in that regard?
Old 19th September 2020, 15:22   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
The Hyundai Creta is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 9.99 - 17.20 lakhs.

What you'll like:

• A superbly engineered all-rounder that delivers a premium experience
• We find the Hyundai Creta to be well-priced for what it offers
• User-friendly interiors with sufficient space & good quality parts
• Loved the 1.4L turbo-petrol & 1.5L diesel. These are fantastic engines
• Smooth & competent automatic gearboxes available. With the useful "auto-hold" feature too
• Sorted road manners & handling for a Hyundai, including on the highway. You will be surprised!
• The Creta's safety package includes 6 airbags, ESP, all-wheel disc brakes, TPMS etc.
• Impressive kit (panoramic sunroof, paddle shifters, Bose sound system, cooled seats, cabin air purifier & loads more)
• Hyundai's competent after-sales service, fuss-free ownership & upto 5-years standard warranty

What you won't:

• Oddball love it or hate it styling. We find the Creta's exterior design to be too weird & futuristic
• Firmer suspension isn't as cushy as the 1st-gen Creta. It is more comfortable than the Seltos though
• Back seat's width makes it better for 2 adults and a kid, rather than 3 adults
• Some misses (no auto wipers, 360-degree camera, illuminated window buttons, full-size spare tyre on top trims)
• Dual-clutch ATs (like the Hyundai Creta Petrol DCT) have a history of poor reliability in India
• Diesel’s 113 BHP & 250 Nm – although adequate – are the lowest in the segment. Old 1.6L CRDi was superior
• No manual transmission available with the fast 1.4L Petrol (Seltos offers this combo)
• The stiffer Seltos has an edge in the handling department. IMHO, the Kia is better looking too
• You get bigger SUVs & Crossovers for the same money (e.g. Hector, Harrier, XUV500)
I have just purchased the 1.4 SX(O) last month and have driven a 1000 kms so far.
I agree with most of what has been observed here and want to add my 2 pence to the discussion. Having been to a customer feedback session on the features they valued and didn’t value some time ago, most didn’t appreciate the auto rain wipe feature as they felt it got activated at the smallest of water sprays and damaged the windscreen many a time. Only the VW group cars had a weight sensitive auto rain wipe feature
The Great and Good Bits
1. Its a heavy car and the weight of the AHSS (Advanced High Strength Steel) used in its construction can be felt. This makes a big difference to its handling and the way it drives
2. Engine gearbox combo is very good and I would hesitate to call it excellent though honestly I have not driven a VW that is comparable (Ex the T-ROC). The engine growl when you hit the accelerator is truly awesome.
3. Panoramic Sunroof whether needed or not is a debate that will not end soon, but the feel good factor is unmistakeable.
4. Auto Hold feature is paired to the Electronic Parking Brakes and when you employ the Auto Hold (works in D and N modes), the car automatically employs the Electronic Parking Brakes when you switch it off. The Parking Brakes disengage automatically when you move from P to D or R when you restart the car. The Auto Hold function is SUPERB to use in the city and one can just engage the gear lever to Nuetral at signals (to avoid the autobox overheating issue) and be rest assured that the car wont slide away. Once you come to a standstill, pressing the brakes engages teh Auto Hold function (If chosen in advance ONLY)
5. In the VW cars, music that is playing does not get effected when you start the car (assuming you are playing music with the engine off). Its abolsutely seamless. I saw this in the Skoda Rapid and am not 100% sure if its the same in the Ventos and Polos. Though the Creta does not have this exact seamlessness, the downtime is hardly a second. Its far better than my earlier Maruti Ertiga where the music would be down for some time before getting to life again
6. Cooled seats is genuinely a great feature
7. Cruise Control engaging and re-engaging when you employ brakes to slow down, is a dream. The fuel average shoots up when you use this feature on stretches like the journey to the airport.
8. Braking with all 4 discs is spot on
9. Lots of settings options like
a. Deciding whether or not you want the "Welcome" sign of the mirrors opening up when you approach the car,
b. How many flashes do you want when you use the lane change signalling,
c. When you want the doors to unlock? (Upon getting the Auto Box to P, or when you switch off the car, etc.)
and some more
10. Lovely spray for cleaning the windscreen unlike the jets in some other cars which are honestly old gen

The Not So Good Parts
1. Rear AC does not have controls. People at the back want a more powerful experience, then you will need to increase the speed of the fan for the whole car. Honestly very irritating
2. The inbuilt maps don't switch off. They are NOT intuitive and once switched on will haunt you. I have just put it on mute now to save my soul!
3. Now this can be very personal and possibly controversial. In the first 300kms of driving the car the parking brake lights started coming on suddenly when I was driving. It even started giving me messages that the parking brake vacuum has an issue. Bringing the car to a halt and restarting only resulted in short term relief with the problem re appearing. The Hyundai service guy came over and reset the systems electronically (something like bringing things back to factory settings) and after that its not happened again. Just that too many electronics can lead to such snafus and I would loudly call out CAVEAT EMPTOR.
4. As has been said in the review too, the shock absorbers are slightly on the harder side but much better than the Seltos which I avoided purely for this reason.
5. Stock tires of JK seemed to be cheap for a car that costs 21 L OTR in Bangalore. Changed them to Pirelli P7 the day I got the car.
6. Lots of electronics are visible if you peep under the driver and co passenger seats due to the cooled seats and electronic adjustment of driver seat features. I don't know how these things look in other cars that have these features, but I felt they could have been managed better.
7. There is a small perceptible lag in gear shift speed, that can be felt at lower speeds and though this is no way a deal breaker, probably these are some of the points were the VW products would score higher points.
8. For getting into the Sports mode of driving you have the option of either employing the mode selector or just pulling in the auto gear lever to the right. Doing the latter does not change the color of the speedo to red the way it does when you choose sports mode through the mode selector. Someone here can correct me if you feel this expectation is wrong.
9. Should not the option to have the Auto Hold function getting employed automatically once the car is started, not have been done? Needs to be manually employed every time.

Last edited by niranjanprabhu : 19th September 2020 at 15:36.
niranjanprabhu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 16:35   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoker View Post
I see no reason to spend so much on an x1 or a Q3 when we can get cars like this at ~20 lakhs. Love the Creta in black. If I had 20 lakhs to spend on a car I'd spend it on this (4 more lakhs and I'd get a Harrier!).
What would make you leave Creta for the Harrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
So continuing from other thread, after test driving new Creta I felt the ride quality to be very poor(Both DCT & Diesel AT).
I also found the same. If this is a big criteria, have you considered the Duster? The turbo petrol is quite a performer too.

Last edited by pseudo_coder : 19th September 2020 at 16:37.
Old 19th September 2020, 19:10   #64
Senior - BHPian

Even I was surprised that Hyundai saves on pennies by giving JK. How are the Pirellis? What was the exchange deal? I'm planning to move from Michelin Primacy to Pirelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post
Stock tires of JK seemed to be cheap for a car that costs 21 L OTR in Bangalore. Changed them to Pirelli P7 the day I got the car.

Last edited by Sebring : 19th September 2020 at 19:25.
Old 19th September 2020, 19:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanprabhu View Post

For getting into the Sports mode of driving you have the option of either employing the mode selector or just pulling in the auto gear lever to the right. Doing the latter does not change the color of the speedo to red the way it does when you choose sports mode through the mode selector. Someone here can correct me if you feel this expectation is wrong.
Hey Niranjan, I think these are two different things. While moving lever to S mode means driving car with manual gear selection, Sports mode makes engine rev at higher RPM which can give add some pep to the acceleration.
Old 19th September 2020, 21:14   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Even I was surprised that Hyundai saves on pennies by giving JK. How are the Pirellis? What was the exchange deal? I'm planning to move from Michelin Primacy to Pirelli
Pirellis are good. I got 4.5k per JK tyre
Old 19th September 2020, 21:59   #67
BHPian

What a detailed review Chirag and Team. Rated it Excellent.

The attention to detail is amazing and that’s where Team BHP review scores. Be it “hexagonal detailing and chrome inserts in the headlamp cluster” or “wheel air curtains (vents) next to fog lamp” – after reading this review only, was aware of this and went down and observed these design elements in my Creta.

Thanks to the information on Hyundai iBlue Remote App – which serves as a remote control. Was not even aware of it, nor informed by Hyundai persons. My Kids love it.

I need to read through the review at least two or three more times to understand the dynamics and feature of this car.

An update on my Creta ownership:

a. Have driven the DCT Turbo for 250 km within the city
b. Getting about 11.5 km/l mileage on the MID
c. Auto Hold is a great boon in the city traffic.
d. The doors, boot and bonnet feel heavy and sturdy (as compared to Honda City – my previous car)
e. The drive has been on comfort mode. Yet to experiment on Eco or Sport mode.
AshBabu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 13:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

I just had a very brief test drive of the Creta diesel AT( SXO). My observations are as follows
1) the Creta does feel a bit taller than the Seltos with respect to the other cars on the road.
2) Bonnet expanse is wider. Needs front parking sensors for shorter drivers.
3) Seat compound feels softer than the Seltos or Harrier. You feel like you are sitting on a comfy office chair.
4) You get a sense of being cocooned in a heavy car. Somewhat like sitting in a Compass.
5) Feels slightly less spacious than the Seltos in the rear. Maybe the squarish cabin of the Seltos lends that feeling.
6) Cabin quality feels good enough, not excellent. The MID feels more MIUI than stock Android (Seltos) , if you get what I mean.
7) The Diesel engine performance felt identical to Seltos.
8) Ride quality feels softer.
In short, the Seltos feels more car like, while the Creta feels more SUV like. You can’t call it an overgrown hatch anymore. It’s perceived external appearance belies it’s stated dimensions, especially in White or Black colours.
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 14:04   #69
BHPian

I just got a call from Hyundai dealership in Bangalore, saying that Hyundai is planning to stop E diesel and EX petrol variants very soon. Not sure if this is genuine info or made-up info to make me a booking.
Old 20th September 2020, 15:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I just got a call from Hyundai dealership in Bangalore, saying that Hyundai is planning to stop E diesel and EX petrol variants very soon. Not sure if this is genuine info or made-up info to make me a booking.
According to me fake news as these versions have massive bookings according to my salesperson. There is a lot of value in these trims

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdograbhp View Post
Hey Niranjan, I think these are two different things. While moving lever to S mode means driving car with manual gear selection, Sports mode makes engine rev at higher RPM which can give add some pep to the acceleration.
Actually checked the S mode again, it behaves exactly like in the Sport Mode. The gears show us S1, S2 etc and in the sports mode it still shows as D1 D2 etc . Not sure what exactly D or S should mean

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th September 2020 at 16:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
Old 20th September 2020, 17:18   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
I asked this question to my SA while I was thr for a test drive and he confirmed that its not true. But the waiting period has shot up to 6-8 months for the base variants. I got this info from Advaith ORR.
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 19:55   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post

Sad that the Creta's MID doesn’t have a gearbox temperature gauge (Seltos gets it) which would help avoid this in the first place.
As per Owner’s manual in LCD display modes – Transmission Temperature is listed as one of the screen under Trip Computer menu. Please see the screen shot below:

Hyundai Creta : Official Review-screenshot-20200920-002631.jpg

I have tried Up/Down selection, but it is not being displayed. I think even in Seltos, which earlier had Transmission Temperature screen displayed by default, with software update they removed it. But there was a work around to display it.

Not sure whether it is possible to display Transmission Temperature in Creta. Owners can provide an update.
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 20:02   #73
BHPian

Came across this on Rushlane Crashlane Facebook Group.

A Hyundai Creta broke down within 16 kms of running (as per the owner).

Do note in the 3rd pic, the owner claims to being harassed via phone calls to not to go to consumer court against Hyundai, via what could be the brand's PR team. Is this how Hyundai deals with issues faced by customers??

P.S.- Attached pics below as I don't think Facebook allows sharing links of posts (They didn't allow me atleast!)

The ones from Rushlane Group-
Hyundai Creta : Official Review-creta-breakdown-1.jpg

Hyundai Creta : Official Review-creta-breakdown-2.jpg

This one was from the owner's profile-
Hyundai Creta : Official Review-creta-breakdown-3.jpg

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 20th September 2020 at 20:31.
theAutomaniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 20:03   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post

Bonnet expanse is wider. Needs front parking sensors for shorter drivers.
Exactly the problem for 5-5" guy like me upgrading from a hatchback.

Any BHPian has got this done in aftermarket, particularly in Delhi NCR? Hope this won't void the warranty.
Old 20th September 2020, 22:52   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Is the Creta a bit taller than the Seltos in person ? It appears so sometimes. Also, the front approach angle seems to be slightly better because of the bumper design. Any comments in that regard?
The bonnet line is higher on the Creta. Gives it a bulkier appearance from the front compared to Seltos
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks