Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 1.0L Turbo Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

The problem with the i10 is its neither here nor there, a mid variant which is poorly equipped and priced at 7.7-7.75 ex showroom, a class below and as a package it trails behind the Polo TSI.
Fast, spacious, comparatively reliable and better after sales makes this a good alternative to the Polo TSI. And from what I read in the reviews it’s more refined too!
So as a package it is the more sensible choice!
buntee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:50   #32

A great new engine option, however if Hyundai had maybe taken the new range of turbo petrols in a more productive direction and offer the 1.0 turbo with the DCT and offer it under their globally used ‘N’ line include some features to justify the badge such as - all round disc breaks, 6 Air bags and maybe a better steering wheel unit. A price hike even a bit more would be justified and would really make the ‘Nios N’ a real hit and would make Volkswagen really wake up and take notice.
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:16   #33
BHPian

Interestingly, the non-turbo-petrol variants in the Sportz trim get 14-inch wheels while the same variants in Sportz trim with a dual-tone body colour get 15-inch wheels

What? Either I have miss understood it or it makes absolutely no sense. Why a change in wheel size for a dual tone option? Is to make the car look better with the dual tone option? (Can't think of any other reason)

If I have understood it right then this is pure playing with the customer's mind or perception. Makes me feel sick being an enthusiast.

Please correct me if I have got it wrong!
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:02   #34
BHPian

Thanks for this review!

Apparently good package from Hyundai but the comparison with VW Polo TSi becomes inevitable. If turbo engine with 100 bhp with abundance of torque is meant for enthusiasts, then driving dynamics and mechanical features get prioritized.

In comparison to Nios Turbo, what VW Polo 1.0 Tsi offers

An additional COG, instead of 5, Polo offer six gears.
Cruise Control – convenient on highways
Steering adjustment both Rack and Reach – better fit ergonomically
Adjustable Head rests – Safety and not to appear cheap, yes, integrated head rests appear cheap !
Rear Wash and Wiper – Convenience and safety
Auto dimming IRVM and electrically adjusted ORVM – Convenience
Wider and bigger wheels – better road manner
Harman Audio – Premium entertainment
Rain-Sensing Automatic Wipers – Convenience
Driver/Co passenger Arm rest - Comfort

And

4 Star Safety Rating with far superior driving dynamics

On road price difference after discount, between Polo TSi and Nios Turbo is only 35-40 thousand, where Polo is costlier. But every penny of this premium is worth, except the engine, Nios appears as compromise!
Subby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:31   #35

Really good and in-depth review of the engine. It is a fun to drive car though a bit too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The Garrett turbocharger sits at the back:

Garrett turbocharger manufacturer has filed for bankruptcy:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ment-Initiates

As the company sorts its finances out, there may be parts availability and supply issues in Hyundai turbo petrol's and other companies who use Garrett's parts, in the short term. The pandemic is causing cash flow issues in debt laden companies, whose demand has taken a hit.
raunak2X90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 14:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Stumbled upon this YouTube video by 91Wheels:

Probably not the most reliable or the definitive comparison, but I truly appreciate their efforts in making this video.

What I love about this video is their inclusion of India's First Real Hot Hatch

This not only shows how good the small capacity turbo charged engines are in comparison to big NA engines of the yesteryears, but also showcases how quick the Polo TSI really is!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 23rd September 2020 at 14:26.
Vik0728 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 11:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Stumbled upon this YouTube video by 91Wheels:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=n0h5EfSaXhY

Probably not the most reliable or the definitive comparison, but I truly appreciate their efforts in making this video.

What I love about this video is their inclusion of India's First Real Hot Hatch

This not only shows how good the small capacity turbo charged engines are in comparison to big NA engines of the yesteryears, but also showcases how quick the Polo TSI really is!!
You very well know whom that "India's first real hot hatch" belongs to.
sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 05:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Posting on behalf of a friend: What would BHPians recommend between the the Nios vs Polo? My friends wants a manual as he rarely drives in choc-a-bloc city traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
On setting off without buckling up, the seatbelt warning light in the instrument cluster starts blinking. A warning chime accompanies it. Even if you stop, the light keeps blinking and the chime keeps playing. Despite such measures & more, 75% of drivers in India don't buckle up - related thread. Manufacturers are trying hard, yet the masses simply lack common sense !
These fools use an dld trick - buckle the seatbelt with no person and then sit on the seat.
Old 30th September 2020, 10:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Posting on behalf of a friend: What would BHPians recommend between the the Nios vs Polo? My friends wants a manual as he rarely drives in choc-a-bloc city traffic.

These fools use an dld trick - buckle the seatbelt with no person and then sit on the seat.
Nios is more practical of the two: More Space, Better ASS, will be cheaper to run/maintain in the long lun. Polo has more sorted dynamics and better engine of the two. Polo is arguably safer too. Its really a heart vs Mind dilemma. I want a Polo but will probably go for a Nios!
buntee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 13:53   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If friend is single then Polo otherwise Nios Turbo.

Wife/Kid/Parents will not approve Polo in front of Nios.
shashant is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 19:56   #41
BHPian

Hello folks, I’ll be getting the 1.2 NA i10 Nios Sportz AMT soon and was thinking if a couple of things are possible / necessary:

1. Is it possible to get the second key converted into a smart key?
Contradictory to their reputation, I find that Hyundai skimps on many features, like no key hole on passenger door, no rear wiper in Sportz, no adjustable headrests for driver in any variant and so on. Many of those I can’t do much but was curious if it is possible to get a smart key for the spare key.

2. Headlight upgrade over the standard Projector halogens.
I’m glad the AMT version gets projector headlamps but wanted to know if the factory fitted lights are considered adequate or if I should upgrade. The Hyundai Mobis accessories and spare parts website lists a couple of options, but I’m not sure what is suitable or if it is necessary.

3. Tire upgrade
How important is it to upgrade the tires right out of the showroom and if I should are there any generally recommended ones? I was looking at the tire guide and since I won’t be driving much outside the city, at least for the first 6 months, my current feeling is that a tire upgrade might not be necessary right off the bat.

4. My friend recently faced huge bills due to rodent damage in his car (it was a Maruti), this got me thinking if there are any useful solutions for that which I should get done. I park in our apartment’s basement parking so the chances of rodent infestation is high.

Thanks!
Old 6th October 2020, 22:15   #42
BHPian

The headlights are quite good. I also own a next gen Verna (the current version -1) and I feel that Nios has better lighting. My wife (primary user of Nios) often goes around with just fog lamps switched on without even realizing.

Regarding the tires, I think they should be ok given that you will be travelling primarily within the city. We recently drove it 900kms in a day with a lot of luggage in the back seat and didn't feel nervous anytime.
ramradcliff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 11:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinshark View Post

4. My friend recently faced huge bills due to rodent damage in his car (it was a Maruti), this got me thinking if there are any useful solutions for that which I should get done. I park in our apartment’s basement parking so the chances of rodent infestation is high.

Thanks!
I have been victim of severe rodent infestation in my Dzire post which I take this aspect very seriously. Tried all possible suggestions available in this forum and nothing works as a one time fix. So you would need to be innovative based on the severity of infestation. As your car would be brand new you can start off with pepper spray. Get one with higher potency. Impower is a good choice and available online. Try to get the one mentioned Pepper as there are many options like black pepper and green chilli. Spray that once a week in engine bay specially on wires. Oleoresin chemical is not particularly liked by rodents and hence there are chances that even if they enter the engine bay they would not resort to damage.

This is one of the easiest way you can start with. Keep monitoring engine bay once a week for any signs of infestation or damage. Other easy trick is to keep changing the spot where you park your car. These 2 ways should be sufficient for a beginner with new car. If rats have heavily infested your car and they reach the cabin too then its an all together different battle which am sure you would not need to undertake if you are vigilant enough. Hope you enjoy a rat free car experience for years to come!
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 20:38   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
So you would need to be innovative based on the severity of infestation. As your car would be brand new you can start off with pepper spray. Get one with higher potency. Impower is a good choice and available online. Try to get the one mentioned Pepper as there are many options like black pepper and green chilli. Spray that once a week in engine bay specially on wires. Oleoresin chemical is not particularly liked by rodents and hence there are chances that even if they enter the engine bay they would not resort to damage.
Wow! That’s really an innovative solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Other easy trick is to keep changing the spot where you park your car. These 2 ways should be sufficient for a beginner with new car.
Unfortunately that won’t be possible for me short of parking it outside in direct sun as I have designated parking spot. It is also close to a groceries shop, which I had not paid attention to, and now I’m more worried hearing your story. It seems I should take this more seriously than I thought before. Thanks for the advice and heads-up.
Old 27th October 2020, 10:55   #45
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Shocking that no dealer in Chennai has a test drive car available of the 1.0 T GDI that powers i10 Nios and the Aura. All the SA's I contacted say its due to the lukewarm response from customers demanding for this engine, infact 99% of the NIOS sales are for the 1.2 NA engines. Still think Hyundai hasn't done enough to market the turbo petrol variants and surely the dealers don't even mention of such a variant exist, unless the customer asks for it specifically.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks