Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 13:26   #616
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Thar AX variant walk around. The crowd in the showroom is just ridiculous !

Definitely does not look as bad the spec sheets make it out to be. Maybe buy the AX to get the MLD instead of the AX Standard.

It's bare basic nature is quite attractive to me.

Last edited by Shanksta : 8th October 2020 at 13:32.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 13:31   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I was just going through the accessories catelogue for Thar and saw that Mahindra is also selling roof top tent as camping accessories. Question is, are they just selling it for the sake of it or they really think someone will put one on the frp roof. I dont see a roof rack though in the accessories. Doesn't make sense to me.
One question, does the warranty get void if I put a roof rack?
I have previously overlanded in a Thar accessorised with a roof top tent. My understanding is that an external frame/roll cage would be necessary to mount any kind of load bearing accessories to the roof of the Thar. That is considering the frame and bodyshell are structurally similar for the new and old Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20190218_150048.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-dsc06298.jpg  

ask99 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 14:18   #618
Senior - BHPian

From the official accessories brochure

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-untitled.jpg

I think this is a more practical 17" alloy wheel.
sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 14:26   #619
Senior - BHPian

Oh - I had booked the AT. The TD was a manual one. And i was generally having some fun looking at her adjusting to the stick after years.

And yes , one over enthusiastic customer banged it just a few hours before I could TD. Star TD cars of such hyped up cars will really be abused I guess.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 15:05   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
I have previously overlanded in a Thar accessorised with a roof top tent. My understanding is that an external frame/roll cage would be necessary to mount any kind of load bearing accessories to the roof of the Thar. That is considering the frame and bodyshell are structurally similar for the new and old Thar.
Thank you for really valuable information I've been looking for. I am thinking about getting an external cage installed with a roof carrier such as yours, on the new Thar once I get it.

Could you please share closeup pictures of the cage/ mounting details and roof carrier along with any specific overland conversion and accessories you've used?

I'm in Hyderabad and would like to know where I can get these installed.

Also, an approximate cost to get them done?
I appreciate your help!!

Thank you!
Old 8th October 2020, 15:07   #621
Senior - BHPian

I have been thinking a lot about the Thar and practically the 6 seater is pretty good but in a LX HT AT Trim for me and my requirements.

Why is this not being offered ? Any reason.

I have 2 kids - 8 & 12 almost and they would be a lot more happier in the rear facing seats and would be more fun to zip around weekends and even do the long trip with a few duffel bags thrown in the middle.

I also love to cycle and have 2 MTB's and would love to fit these in with the front wheels removed.
I already own an Innova and 2 other cars and this really is a replacement for my Verna which is nearly 8 years old and 1.5 lacs on the Odo.
But practically the 6 seater seems to be a lovely idea.

I assume doing this setup on our own later should not be a problem ? What do you experts think ?
Also can we fit a THULE Bike Rack on the HT variant ? I suppose not ?

Oh its going to be exciting pimping this ride up !
Old 8th October 2020, 15:52   #622
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
From the official accessories brochure

Attachment 2064951

I think this is a more practical 17" alloy wheel.
I think you meant to say 16" alloys. This must be the alloy option for those who will pick up the AX variant as they will not need to change the tires on the same as they come with 16" steel rim as stock. Also will be a good option for those who want to downgrade from the LX variant also.

Last edited by udy : 8th October 2020 at 15:54.
Old 8th October 2020, 16:29   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I would go for the diesel AT. But it's beyond my budget. So settling for the diesel MT. Petrol out of the question....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I would definitely recommend Diesel AT....
Thanks, I am also inclined for AT and will be booking the same by tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Its Anant motors, BG Road. What they are doing is to ensure that everyone who booked is getting a TD, regardless of time, so long as the people wanting the TD are comfortable with the time. ...
I finally have a TD booked for Sunday. I might get the same treatment if I book one tomorrow. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish View Post
I guess the warranty for the hard top alone would get void, So if you face any water seepage/leaks Mahindra would not be responsible for it. But please do check with your SA at the dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
Roof rack with an external frame is doable for sure but I don't know if it has any impact on warranty. I might not be looking for a roof top tent, but ability to put a Awning might be useful and some extra luggage carrying capacity.

I would love to have a low profile roof rack like the one shown in this video. It fits to the internal roll cage so no need for the external roll bars. Trail recon has another DIY video showing how he set it up on his wrangler.

Old 8th October 2020, 21:01   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I have been thinking a lot about the Thar and practically the 6 seater is pretty good but in a LX HT AT Trim for me and my requirements.

The side facing rear set is not safe. As you know it is not even legal in most western countries. It was OK in the 20th century in India when speeds were in the 40-50 kmph range, but today with big and powerful engines, it is highly unsafe. I am not sure the AX back seats come with seatbelt’s and even if they do, seat belt action itself is considered more harmful than any benefit they deliver in side-facing seats.

The new Thar can apparently touch 160 kmph speeds. At any speed over 80 kph, sudden breaking can put the rear passengers at risk of serious injuries from impacting hard parts of the car including the roof, rear door frame etc.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 21:46   #625
BHPian

Quote:

Based on my experience of living with side facing bench seats in the Storme, I would not recommend it for your family. The 4 seater configuration is the correct seating for the Thar for a two plus two family like yourself.

Your children will be comfortable in the second row forward facing and please do try a TD with full family in that configuration.

The side benches can be quite tiring, nauseating and not to mention unsafe over long distances and the Thar doesn't have that kind of room in the rear to have any decent side benches installed. It's at best a namesake 6 seater so would advise against it.
Old 8th October 2020, 22:43   #626
BHPian

Found this on instagram, I guess someone got the water wading depth wrong !
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-screenshot_20201008224047880-1.jpg  

hareshjethwani is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 00:20   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
Found this on instagram, I guess someone got the water wading depth wrong !
Everyone needs to drink 8 ounces of water daily. Thar is doing the same. Please stop judging.
vellatechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 00:50   #628
Senior - BHPian

I had a lackluster experience at Sireesh Auto, Silk Board, Bangalore today. The sales executive with whom I was in touch with, informed that TD vehicle was available and asked me to come over. But when a friend and I reached the showroom we got to know that there was a token system. Even though our guy had already procured tokens, there were some 20 odd people in the queue ahead of us. That meant a wait of at least two hours. And unlike how some other members had mentioned, there was no sanitization of the vehicle between TDs. So we decided it was not worthwhile to wait and returned without the TD.

Few observations that have not already been mentioned before
1. The rear top mounted brake light is not attached to read door/glass and hits the head.
2. Filling the windscreen washer fluid is going to be a difficult task owing to its placement on the firewall.
3. With the rear seats in the reclining position, the already minuscule boot space is even reduced and won't even fit cabin size luggages. Not sure where to store recovery gear even.

I wish they launch a LX two seat variant with hard top and the auto box. IMO, anyone thinking of touring in this would end up removing the rear seats and use it as a pure two seater.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 08:43   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Attaching the Thar Color Guide shared by my dealer. It has pretty good views of each color, but some colors look very different from what I would expect.

I have been looking into the color options for the Thar. The Black looks great right now, and is probably the safe bet, but I worry that the plastic hard top roof will fade over time. While the body can be maintained jet black and shiny, the roof may lose color and become more of a "grey" color rather than black. This may start to look bad, as a darker roof on a lighter body color looks good, the other way around looks like a "greying" vehicle

The aquamarine is intriguing, the dealer confirmed that this is the same exact shade that one seems commonly in the XUV300 - to me this is more greenish than blueish and it may look a bit weird on a large SUV like the Thar. The rocky beige gives the Thar a classic look but does not stand out and look a bit utilitarian (reminds me of the police cars of my childhood days!). The Galaxy Grey is very different form any other grey I have seen , it is a new color to the Mahindra family. The color guide book shows this as being a very light grey and it appears to be non-metallic color here, very different from what we see on YouTube videos. So, overall not sure of this shade until one sees more on the road. Also, my current car (Ecosport) I am planning to replace with the Thar is Grey color, and would like a change from this color. Red rage is a head turner but a bit too loud for my liking.

So that leaves the Mystic Copper. It looks pretty posh and premium on the Thar. It does not look as good on the XUV500 in the same shade. Probably because the XUV is large and single tone and there is too much of the color in a large vehicle. On the Thar hard top, due to the contrasting elements of the front bumper, black wheel arches and the black roof, the monotony is broken nicely. I think the black roof will go well with this color and looks totally nice as a dual tone combination. Even if the black fades a bit, it will still be darker than the rest of the body and would look fine. Due to all these reasons, mystic Copper is the color I have chosen on my booking.

However, feeling a bit nervous if it will come out looking good in the end or will it be too garish? How well will it age - will it still stay fresh say after 5-10 years? I wish Mahindra had launched a proper dark blue type shade, would have been my ideal pick. Please share your views.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The All-New Thar_Colour deck (1).pdf (4.25 MB, 982 views)

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 9th October 2020 at 08:54.
84.monsoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 08:49   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have 2 kids - 8 & 12 almost and they would be a lot more happier in the rear facing seats and would be more fun to zip around weekends and even do the long trip with a few duffel bags thrown in the middle.
I think you'd be better off in a safer car with 6 airbags for the family (like Seltos/Creta) instead of the Thar. The Thar is best for 2 people with majorly offroad/bad road driving. Its not a weekend family excursion car.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks