Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2020, 17:24   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Considering the ridiculous used prices of previous Thar until last year, I doubt prices will go down much for the new used Thar.
After much effort I found one, yes just one, 2015 Thar which I considered "reasonable". Almost all other 2014-2018 Thars in Pune area are in the range of 8.5l or more

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
So can you maintain such a large FRP top to match the shiny paint in long run?
Armorall protectant is good and available on Amazon India. On my Subaru Outback's black cladding and a top box made of similar material I used 303 Aerospace protectant to extremely good results in incessant rains of the area I lived in. 303 is unavailable here but Armorall is next best IMO.
We have extreme sun so parking under covers is recommended even after 303 treatment but considering my friend's first gen Thar's custom hard top still looks quite good after 5 years, I have a feeling that OEM HT from MM will be much better quality and thus last longer before starting to fade.
He has used numerous plastic protectant products including aforementioned Armorall on that top and it has held well. It does look faded after every 3-4 months and he reapplies the protectant. I think its the cost we have to pay for having HT but its not a lot. Its still better than faded and saggy ST.
amol4184 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:28   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm27 View Post
Hi Guys,

The Sales Rep just sent me the Price Lists.

Please feel free to point out irregularities. Please :

I am personally interested in the Diesel HT AT. All pointers to save some money on it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Environment Tax - Never heard of this - please debate
Essential Accessories - Should not be there - please debate
Insurance - way too steep - Please debate with the dealer or get yourself one from outside- This will be tricky as they will say it is not allowed.
Incidental Charges - never ever heard of this.

It seems this dealer is trying to make more hay in the sunshine than permitted.

PS - I have just messaged my dealer in Agra to send me the quotation and shall share it - should let you know the exact accurate figures.

Please be aware all showrooms and states are having there own terms etc it seems.
vkochar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:37   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
....Nobody really needs a 16L 4x4 2 Seater with a below-average ride quality to go to a mall, but the majority wants to ....

....Considering the ridiculous used prices of previous Thar until last year, I doubt prices will go down much for the new used Thar.....
Agree to both the points
The Thar was always a style statement and cool quotient.
Old 5th October 2020, 17:40   #484
BHPian

Took a Test Drive and came back mighty impressed. For city use this is a proper 4 seater as the Rear Seat with reclining seats is a place of comfort, provided the back benchers are athletic enough to squeeze in. The glass area from B pillar to the C pillar is huge.

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-img_20201005_154115.jpg

Can this be a replacement car for any family car? No

What is Thar? It's a Big Boy Toy, period. The grin on your face won't stop while you are behind the steering and touring across any possible terrain. It's the throne that you would never give up!

How does it fair against the old Thar? Well for the very reason, I had my friend Tejesh drive it while I was seated in the rear and a small video about how things have changed, for the better.

There are tons of gizmos to play with but this one caught my attention.

The clutch is super light, Gear Shifts are precise and the torque and power delivered out of this all Aluminum Engine Block is more than adequate.

Overall verdict: This is a vehicle which has the potential to be the New Classic Range of what it did to the Royal Enfield as a brand.

Last edited by soumobakshi : 5th October 2020 at 18:05.
soumobakshi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 17:57   #485
Senior - BHPian

That's sad. Do you have a pic? A workaround could be; properly securing it to the sides using 3M heavy-duty velcro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The new Thar's toolkit is contained in a plasticky bag of sorts and just placed on the floor behind the rear seats. There is no place to properly stow the toolkit, thereore it will keep moving around and rattling when the car is moving; more so when on bad roads.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:08   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That's sad. Do you have a pic?
Here you go, lying there:

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20201003_131440.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
A workaround could be; properly securing it to the sides using 3M heavy-duty velcro
Good idea! There is some space around the rear corners.

And this is that wire thing: Need to be careful, if you pull that off by mistake, I guess it will strip off the whole defogger lining. (not sure)

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-20201005_120841.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 5th October 2020 at 18:10.
balenoed_ is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:10   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
There are tons of gizmos to play with ...
It would have been good if the Thar had an outside temperature guage.

Most vehicles in the Thar's price range have it these days and its very handy to know the temperature. It would be good to have this in the Thar's Dashboard console.
Old 5th October 2020, 18:11   #488
BHPian

Great insights and Thanks for covering initial look and feel of the car.

I am somebody who do not have the fear of confined spaces but, looking at the interior space i already feel claustrophobic. Definitely not liking the new Thar.

Keeping aside my presumption, Exterior quality seem to have improved a great deal with this new Thar, so is the instrument cluster. Looks to be a very promising product for Mahindra. Kudos to M&M.
Old 5th October 2020, 18:20   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
No one really has practical use for Thar so you are not alone. It is suitable for off-roading and possibly rural rugged travel, moreover only for 2 adults. So its like buying a 15 lakh toy for the desires of heart. But then you only live once and in that too young enough for few years so might as well as buy.
No one? I see that most comments are about will the men like the new Thar. Terms such a big boy's toy validates this. Are we getting biased in our analysis by ignoring women?

My wife is head over heels for the new Thar. She currently drives a Grand i10 on Bangalore roads and feels that with the new Thar she would feel more safe. No more getting side swiped by BMTC , cabs and autos. Plus with the additional seat height, she will be much more confident while driving.

Won't this be a good alternative for women drivers, atleast in metros. Agreed that they may not be using the Thar for what it is meant for, but then that's the case with any SUV.
Lambydude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:28   #490
Senior - BHPian

Lambydude -

My wife will have this as her primary vehicle.
Of course, i will use it for those one off trips for an off-road here and there. My wife loves this a lot more and is beginning to count the days for delivery more than i do. Its a new type of emotion that i have noticed in her for the past 2 plus decades. That's how much she wants it !. Maybe she was cross with me when we didn't get a Thar home back in 2010.

And the 'Practical Use' of cars is quite debatable for any car honestly. But, i am not wading into it now.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:32   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.bramha View Post
I am somebody who do not have the fear of confined spaces but, looking at the interior space i already feel claustrophobic. Definitely not liking the new Thar.
I know what you mean, but trust me, the interiors are fine. Youre sitting so high up that interior space doesnt matter. Infact, even the rear which isn't great from feet positioning point of view (trick is to slide one under the front seat and other flat on the floor), it desnt feel claustrophobic due to large glass window on both sides.

Although, I am not sure how it is to ride sitting on the rear with another person on a slightly not so perfect road.
Old 5th October 2020, 18:40   #492
Team-BHP Support

Being an ex Thar owner, I was eagerly watching the launch and was all excited about the pricing, almost had the itch to call the dealer and place a booking (my upper limit was 15 Lakh OTR for Petrol AT LX). Then realised I missed out on the additional amount for automatics lol. Anyhow after a long drawn thought, it is ambundatly clear that at 17+ Lakh for the petrol AT, it is better to wait. Yes the new one is improved (alot), the company fitted hard top took care of the sole gripe I had with the Thar I had (ok brakes still seem iffy). The new Thar was clearly messing around in my head.

Idea was to replace the Grand Vitara 2.4 AT (GV) and wife's Ignis AMT and get this for wife, and I can use it for the occasional drives. I have almost completely moved on to the bikes and GV just gets a mandatory outing on Sunday to keep the battery juices up and occasional highway trips or one-off offroad drives, thanks to Covid 19. So idea of consolidating 2 vehicles to 1 was strong motivation. Then I took the GV for it's usual weekend drive yesterday and was wondering what is wrong with me?! No matter how crazy my itch is, Thar cannot match the comfort, convenience and the versatility that GV offers. Similarly however excited wife maybe, Thar will not be a carefree car for her to drive and park in the spots she visits.

GV has done about 60k kms and another 4 years for the 15 year fitness renewal. Best is to wait for couple of years and look at a mint preowned Thar that comes, and upgrade the Ignis with a small EV for the wife. Maybe the Covid 19 has killed some of the spending recklessness that I am used to I guess.
Jaggu is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 19:26   #493
BHPian

Attachment 2063514

That exposed metal is definitely ugly on other wise a well built jeep like this. However a simple DIY can sort this thing out. Using a Polyolefin Heat Shrink Tube you can easily conceal that exposed part including the entire wire. You can find this in amazon. https://www.amazon.in/KTC-CONS-Labs-Polyolefin-Shrink/dp/B071RF8457/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=Polyolefin+Heat+Shri nk+Tube&qid=1601905401&sr=8-11
Old 5th October 2020, 19:27   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.bramha View Post
Is it the black color all around that's causing the feeling? It can be easily remedied at moderate costs by using lighter colored seat covers. Later on if you feel adventurous enough, re-upholstering the insides of HT with similar lighter liners would help even further.
I say that because the interiors are really not that tight, not even in the rear. Just don't turn around and look into luggage space. The front seats are expectedly even better. Great tall point of view all around, large greenhouse, excellent legroom.
Its a 2D car but not exactly small in conventional sense. Sitting area is proper sized at the expense of bootspace. You should be good IMO.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 20:15   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
No one really has practical use for Thar so you are not alone. It is suitable for off-roading and possibly rural rugged travel, moreover only for 2 adults. So its like buying a 15 lakh toy for the desires of heart.
I don't dispute that this sentiment would apply to many out there, but by no means can it be attributed to everyone. For some of us, it reeks of practicality. In my case, apart from the occasional city drives, on every drive into the wilderness and rural countrysides for my photography and conservation purposes, the Thar has moved my world with me. A 70 lt. backpack, two 40 lt. camera bags, tripod bag, sleeping bag, assorted other equipment like umbrella, camping tripod, trekking boots, tarpaulin etc. On longer stays, I have even lugged along my dehumidifier cabinet, 21-inch iMac and UPS

Besides, far from being a 2-seater, I have many a time, packed in 7-8 village folk looking to hitch a ride. And, of course, its unmatched competence on broken rural roads, dirt tracks and even trackless forest stretches. And once all that is done, doing comfortable 100 kmph runs on the highway for hours at a stretch.

I'm sure the 2020 Thar too, in some variant, can accomplish the same. I simply cannot think of any other vehicle with this level of versatility that can help me with what I do. And if that isn't practical, I would love to know what is.

But yes, it still would be an expensive toy for the image-conscious urbanite doing the occasional weekend trips.
TAHR is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks