Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 11:54   #46

Re: Renault Duster 1.3L Turbo Petrol : Official Review

If we rule out service and resale value doesn't Nissan Kicks gets the same engine with more features and relatively better interiors ?
Old 9th October 2020, 16:05   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSharma View Post
If we rule out service and resale value doesn't Nissan Kicks gets the same engine with more features and relatively better interiors ?
Yes, absolutely. For Rs. 13.59 lakhs, the Duster top end RXZ misses a lot of features that the Nissan Kicks XV Pre (priced at 14.15 lakhs) has. The Kicks is also better built, with heavier body panels, superior plastics etc. the Kicks is almost a Duster 1.5 Gen - so extensive were the changes Nissan made to the interiors and the build quality as well as addition of any and all features feasible the platform is able to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Is this a 3 or 4 cylinder engine with direct injection? On the International spec VW Polo 1 Tsi, start stop operation is noticeable.
This is a proper 4 cylinder engine. The 3 cylinder 1 litre version of this will come in the Nissan Magnite, which will be comparable to the Polo 1.0 TSI engine. The 1.3 TcE is actually 1330 cc - Flexible architecture with each cylinder being 333 cc and can we had in 3 or 4 cylinder versions. The 1.33 TCe is co-developed by Mercedes and will also appear in the base version of the upcoming Mercedes Benz GLA. I doubt the engine start/stop will be bothersome in this latest world class engine designed to to be used in hybrid powertrains, where it will be supplemented by a battery and require frequent and rapid start-up/shut-down of the engine to complement battery power.
84.monsoon is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 05:21   #48
BHPian

While considering a new car I never rejected any model because of interior looks, but have rejected many based on engine, transmission, utility, driving comfort and foremost is reliability.

I have a 2012 model RXL110. Owning Maruti and Toyota models parallelly, issue with Duster is the parts are too costly compared to initial purchase cost and longevity is not great except for engine and gearbox. Still I was considering the AWD Duster as the replacement for my current model since nothing else is available in the market which is matching my taste (Off course Fortuner is out of my reach and Jimny is not available yet). Since AWD is gone from Duster portfolio, Duster is off my list too.
arunrajk81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 11:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
nothing else is available in the market which is matching my taste (Off course Fortuner is out of my reach and Jimny is not available yet). Since AWD is gone from Duster portfolio, Duster is off my list too.
Just curious, if Jimny is in consideration, why no thoughts given to new Thar? I am also in two minds changing from first gen Duster. That car has spoiled us with brilliant ride and abuse friendly nature. If nothing else, we will look for later model year diesel Duster again.
Old 18th October 2020, 15:01   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Renault calls this 'premium blue glazed' seat upholstery. It is available in the RXZ variant:
One of the big reasons I opted out of this car and gone for Ford Ecosport and later shifted my choice to Marazzo which is again a different short story.
Old 18th October 2020, 19:07   #51
BHPian

Nice review - rated 5 stars! I am getting a feeling that this car might suffer the same fate as the Abarth. 90% buyers will look for features and nice interiors and will move elsewhere. Enthusiasts are far too few in number to get the sales going and even for them - the "magic" ride quality is gone, no AWD and the headache of long term reliability issues (I have a 6 year old Duster AWD, and I have got a rich experience)
I am expecting heavy discounts raining in the next 2 years.
Old 20th October 2020, 04:24   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Just curious, if Jimny is in consideration, why no thoughts given to new Thar? I am also in two minds changing from first gen Duster. That car has spoiled us with brilliant ride and abuse friendly nature. If nothing else, we will look for later model year diesel Duster again.
Till now Thar was too crude to be used as a daily driver for normal roads. I haven’t seen the latest model in real. Even if new Thar has improved drastically over previous generation, I still doubt it's my taste. I might consider a Jimny over Thar.

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 20th October 2020 at 04:47. Reason: correction
Old 24th October 2020, 12:25   #53
BHPian

As always, amazing review

Coming to this duster, it is engine, engine and only engine. Nothing else. What were the bosses at Renault India thinking . Any sane management would have updated a successful vehicle to its next generation.

Honestly, I don't even understand why Renault (and even Toyota) aren't bringing their impressive global lineup to India. Rather they are shoving cheap (the interiors looked budget even from the day it launched) and basic Dacia through our throats for a decade now . It is not a proper global Renault at all in true sense.

Maybe the initial investment is high for bringing the global lineup but almost all new cars have modern modular platforms, be it for Renault or Toyota having TNGA. Bringing those up to lay the foundation to manufacture 'n' number of models is definitely a worthwhile investment in the long run I feel, owing to low cost of labour and manufacturing costs, as well as the growing purchase power of Indian customers. They might export from here to other nations as well.

Hope Renault brings some exciting models to India soon (rather than just focusing on kwid and triber). Even Toyota too, they should also start bringing their monocoque vehicles here rather than just milking with their body on frame duo.
klgiridhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 11:40   #54
BHPian

We have a Duster CVT in the family. My wife mainly uses it for work commutes and errands around the city. We initially got it for highway runs and did a couple of Pune - Ahmedabad runs in it. Then the Hexa came in and the Duster got relegated to city duties. I love the car though. The ride, NVH levels, steering feel are awesome. Way better than the Creta. Sure its no rocket, but on highways it runs like a charm.

The biggest grouse I have with Renault is RASS. It is probably the worst I have encountered amongst all the cars I have owned so far (VW, TATA, Hyundai, Honda). They simply have no professionalism whatsoever. Almost every time I am there, I see people arguing and it ruins the experience. I just got back after dropping it off for third service and it was not a pleasant experience. They're never on time and the service center looks and feels like its been abandoned. I was planning on checking out the turbo petrol on the way back but given the service experience I didn't bother.

With outdated interiors and a sorry RASS experience, I am not surprised that I haven't seen a single turbo petrol on the road over the last few months. I am sure its a gem to drive but I can't imagine dealing with RASS for a few more years. FNG next time it is.

Last edited by yd_gli : 28th December 2020 at 11:50.
yd_gli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 16:05   #55
BHPian

Fellow BHP'ians,

I wanted to upgrade from a sedan (Tigor 1.2 Petrol) to an SUV and had zeroed down on Duster 1.3 Turbo Petrol. I've taken a test drive (CVT version) and liked what I drove. I can make do with the features (or lack of) that this vehicle comes with purely on the basis of driving pleasure, however, I've read many horror strories of Duster's long term reliability and after sales service and wanted to check with the best automotive online community, whether it would be wise to invest INR 12.7 Lakhs? (On-road Kerala, RXZ version, after exchange with dad's 8 old EON, exchange bonus and corporate discount of approx INR 2.1 Lakhs, as a down payment)

Dear Mods: I do apologize if I bumped up an old thread, and if what I asked is not relevant here. This is my 1st post. I'm really looking for some opinions and possibly a solution to my dilemma.
Old 8th March 2021, 17:17   #56
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
I'm really looking for some opinions and possibly a solution to my dilemma.
I haven't driven the 1.3 T-Petrol version but after living with these cars since 2012, I would say you should stay away.

There was a time pre-Seltos when the lack of features felt livable. Today, even a base model Creta offers more. Duster is stuck wherein comparison to the segment below makes it lose out on features and maintenance cost, similarly in the segment above, it loses out on the long term service and parts availability factor since Renault's plan to continue the Duster brand is uncertain.

The Govt. is also looking for higher taxes on imported automotive components which means that the spares for this (T-Petrol+CVT) drive-train will keep the maintenance costs high.
Old 7th April 2021, 18:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

Rs. 1.05 lakh discount on the Renault Duster!

This month, Renault is offering benefits of up to Rs. 1.05 lakh on the Duster.

Renault Duster 1.3L Turbo Petrol : Official Review-163986.jpg

The 1.3L turbo-petrol version comes with an exchange benefit of Rs. 30,000 (available on RxS and RxZ variants), loyalty benefits of up to Rs. 15,000 and a cash benefit of Rs. 30,000 (RxS CVT & MT). Besides this, there is a corporate discount of Rs. 30,000.

The 1.5L petrol version comes with total benefits of up to Rs. 75,000, which include exchange benefits of Rs. 30,000 (RxS and RxZ), loyalty benefits of up to Rs. 15,000 and a corporate discount of up to Rs. 30,000.

Renault is also offering benefits of up to Rs. 60,000 on the Kwid and Rs. 65,000 on the Triber.

These offers are valid till April 30, 2021. There are no discounts on the recently launched Kiger crossover.
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 18:13   #58
BHPian

Re: Rs. 1.05 lakh discount on the Renault Duster!

If they only spruced up the interior even to a Kiger level , Renault would have far better traction in the market with the 1.3 Duster ! Even a 3 lakh discount won't help at this stage
JishD is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 18:27   #59
BHPian

Such a wonderful car but hardly sells 200-300 units per month. I think this discount is not enough to boost sales numbers, Renault has to bring new age Duster to Indian customers.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th April 2021 at 18:46. Reason: typo
Old 7th April 2021, 19:25   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
If they only spruced up the interior even to a Kiger level , Renault would have far better traction in the market with the 1.3 Duster ! Even a 3 lakh discount won't help at this stage
I agree. They should do what Jeep Compass did. Totally revamp the interiors. The car still looks good. I for one would have gone for it if it had better interiors

Most Viewed