Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2022, 22:04   #3151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I've just heard from a source that Ironman suspension upgrade is now available for the new Thar. Has anyone taken the plunge? So far, Avo by Arka was the only option and there's been consistently good feedback about them.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 1st May 2022 at 22:06.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 19:14   #3152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I've just heard from a source that Ironman suspension upgrade is now available for the new Thar. Has anyone taken the plunge? So far, Avo by Arka was the only option and there's been consistently good feedback about them.
There is one more option, that seems to be almost half the price of AVO. ARC suspensions for Thar, not adjustable. I'd like to see more reviews for Avo, ARC and any other in the market.
https://www.arcsuspension.in/mahindr...-with-bushings
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 06:36   #3153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
Sorry to say but that's a very ostensible deduction of the thought behind my aspiration to own a certain product. I aspired to own it and when I checked it out, it seemed fairly acceptable to me but when I saw what the competition has to offer......
Well put and laid-out summing up! I couldn't help noticing that the drive-line (FWD/RWD - I'm not mentioning AWD/4WD as you have cleared up that point) does not feature as prominently in your post as your other likes (handling, nimbleness, sun-roof, safety).

Last edited by shashanka : 3rd May 2022 at 06:38.
Old 3rd May 2022, 16:55   #3154

After a lot of trial and tribulations I finally got the BH number, LX D HT AT. I got the delivery on 8 April, have been so busy since then couldn't update the thread here.

Completed 1000kms in just 5 days Agra-> Delhi -> Sonepat -> Delhi -> Sonepat -> Haridwar.
These were mostly highway mileage showed 14.8 -14.9 km/L , as suggested by @pho3nix I did vary the rpm quite often for run in.

The Agra-Delhi yamuna expressway seems quite flat to me, but on leaving the handle car goes to left I tested in couple of times on other roads to same thing.

When I went for the first service the underbody, suspension, nuts etc were not checked. Wheel alignment also wasn't checked despite complaining, as they had only a single machine which was occupied by some truck driver who was creating quite a ruckus.

But the SA did test drive with me, and said this is not an issue of left pull but road taper. If left pull is there then you'll have to maintain constant pressure to right side and start having minor pain.

Being naive with cars in general, I trusted him. Had to leave for Banglore that day so couldn't wait for the alignment machine.

Did a Sonepat to Banglore in 4 days with a friend of mine who lives in Sonepat, Haryana and a lot of luggage in the back.

Day1: Sonepat-> Agra , 4-5 hours drive
Day2: Agra -> Turia gate, Pench National park, Nagpur
13-14 hours, around 800kms, it was a Sunday so we stretched a bit and the roads after Jhansi are buttery smooth.

Day3: Pench National park -> Hyderabad
Day4: Stayed in hyderabad
Day5: Hyderabad -> Banglore

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-num.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220503-4.45.34-pm.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220503-4.45.36-pm-1.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220503-4.45.36-pm.jpeg

A lot of people in this thread are from Banglore, please give any suggestions for off-roading or road trips near banglore ?

Not the forum for doing this but if anyone can help out in renting flats for bachelors nearby bellandur please let me know.
newbie_thar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 13:58   #3155
BHPian

Hello Guys!!

So I did ask on this thread a few days back for feedback from anyone with experience of removing temporarily and refitting the hard top on the Thar but don't think anyone had done it yet. I went ahead and tried it nonetheless on my Thar and used it for a wedding in the family. I had asked the service guys at the workshop and they said they have had no experience either of removing a hard top but have fit a hard top on a convertible without any issues, used a contact and checked for information from the plant as well and was told that it is a pretty easy process and should not be an issue. Mineel at Mkraft Mumbai was also quite sure about managing it without any issues so got the job done at his workshop. Have been using the car for a few weeks now after refitting the hardtop including a few fast highway drives and have not faced any issues, have also tried pressure washing and not found any leakage, but I am hoping I don't get any surprises during the monsoons.

The process of removing and refitting the hard top was fairly easy the difficult part was the storage as the hardtop is very bulky. I had it taken out for a week and it took up so much space that the Mkraft guys could not manage to hold it for more than two days at their place without it affecting their operations due to space constraints so I had it trucked out and kept it stored at my factory. All of this was quite an effort but totally worth it coz the Thar looked bloody hot and was quite an attraction at the wedding.

Few pictures for your viewing pleasure;

My very Non-Petrolhead father had a great time driving the Thar around without the roof on a Sunday morning wearing his best Aviators and got very excited when we crossed a girl walking on the road and heard her exclaim "So sexy" to the guy next to her, I hated to break it to him that she was talking about the Thar and not him .

Name:  IMG_9589.jpeg
Views: 2635
Size:  257.1 KB
Name:  IMG_9591.jpeg
Views: 2702
Size:  270.5 KB
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9588.jpeg

Decked up for the wedding along with my Bimmer.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9629.jpeg

With the top back on.
Name:  IMG_9733.jpeg
Views: 2622
Size:  254.4 KB

Hope my post helps anyone who wants to take off the hard top.

Cheers!!
VVB

Last edited by manson : 4th May 2022 at 15:44. Reason: Deleted mention of alcohol.
vvb8530 is offline   (116) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 14:05   #3156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_thar View Post

A lot of people in this thread are from Banglore, please give any suggestions for off-roading or road trips near banglore ?

Not the forum for doing this but if anyone can help out in renting flats for bachelors nearby bellandur please let me know.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I can help you with one or both of these that you are looking for. However, I'm not able to PM you, guess you may have to cross 25 posts to be able to do so. There is a Thar group in Bengaluru where member go for trails around and far from the town, at least once in a month. When you get to the ability to PM, please do and I shall share more details.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 15:32   #3157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Hello Guys!!

Hope my post helps anyone who wants to take off the hard top.

Cheers!!
VVB
Thanks for sharing this information, Going off topic after looking at your wheels, Can you share your experience of city and highway driving with size of shoes and wheels
what a lovely setup you got
Old 4th May 2022, 16:19   #3158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I can help you with one or both of these that you are looking for. However, I'm not able to PM you, guess you may have to cross 25 posts to be able to do so. There is a Thar group in Bengaluru where member go for trails around and far from the town, at least once in a month. When you get to the ability to PM, please do and I shall share more details.
I don't have the PM ability either.
Can you please email your number to codebleed3@gmail.com.
Old 4th May 2022, 17:12   #3159
BHPian

I drove the Thar last week, and not surprisingly it felt great at speeds up to 50 kph. Anything beyond that and it was all over the place. But then, for a short wheel base body-on-frame off-roader, I'd say it drove pretty well.

I usually drive with bare feet, and did the same with the Thar. I was shocked to find the floor blazing hot. Asked the sales advisor about it and he casually brushed it off saying 'gaadi running mein hai na'. I've never experienced such heat even after continuously running a car for 15 hours, but such heat from the Thar was really abnormal. It was the same case with both Diesel MT and Petrol AT. Was it a one-off case or has anyone else also experienced it?

Last edited by Vibhav-Van : 4th May 2022 at 17:13.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 17:20   #3160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
Thanks for sharing this information, Going off topic after looking at your wheels, Can you share your experience of city and highway driving with size of shoes and wheels
what a lovely setup you got
Thanks. Tyres have been upsized to 285/60 and width of the wheels has increased to 9J. Driving mannerisms haven't changed too much, I use my car as a daily in the city and it doesn't see as many highway runs. It does still feel more planted but steering is heavier at crawl speeds. The only major issue is the tyre noise that has noticeably increased even with these AT tyres.
vvb8530 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 17:23   #3161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
The only major issue is the tyre noise that has noticeably increased even with these AT tyres.
can you hear the noise with windows up as well?
any other cons you can think of?
what brand are these alloys and how much a complete setup costed you?
a4_attitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 09:39   #3162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
Was it a one-off case or has anyone else also experienced it?
I posted a similar issue on this thread a couple of weeks back - finally I have some company!

Yes, indeed I have had a similar experience. This however has no bearing on the distance driven or driving style or speed - not at least in my case.

The reason cited by the ASC is that the catalytic converter is located just under the driver's side footboard; and other vehicles usually have a matting underbody to keep the heat from getting transmitted from the cat-con to the metal underbody and then inside the cabin.

However, that matting seems to be missing.

I am not sure how far that is true, but that is all I have got.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 09:49   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
AT any day. having done close to 4500kms in 3 months, it is a breeze to drive. AT itself has hardly any space in the footwell. I wonder how tight the space is in the manual.

Had booked Thar MT Diesel , with expected delivery this month. Could not arrange MT Thar for test drive till now. Can some fellow BHPian / Thar MT user throw some light regarding the footwell space and its performance with reference to city use....
Old 5th May 2022, 10:20   #3164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankushbansal View Post
Had booked Thar MT Diesel , with expected delivery this month. Could not arrange MT Thar for test drive till now. Can some fellow BHPian / Thar MT user throw some light regarding the footwell space and its performance with reference to city use....
Have been using the diesel MT for the last 9 months.

I personally don't see an issue with the foot well space in the Thar. I guess it is all about getting used to it.

City driving is enjoyable - the stance, the sitting position, the view - all work in your favor.

At slow speeds the wheel is heavy, speed bumps (especially rumble strips) might just throw you off. Clutch throw is long. Gear lever will take some getting used to - second to third might feel a bit notchy. You need to be wary of the biting point of the brakes.

Please get a rear camera (70mai seems to be the best).
Slipstream11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 19:15   #3165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AadvityaG View Post
I recently took delivery of my thar diesel auto a month back.Upon hard acceleration,I can feel vibration on the accelerator pedal when the gears are changing.It is most evident when gear is shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
Anyone else also facing the same issue?
TIA.
Aadvitya, Were you able to get this resolved? I have similar observations but not bothering to the level that I report it to MASS.

Most Viewed