Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2021, 23:22   #1486
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Is everyone taking delivery of AT Thars now getting chrome-ringed 4x4 shift levers?
Nope, mine does not have a chrome ring. I checked with sales executive if it can be added before taking delivery. He informed me that it would be difficult.
IMHO, Chrome ring adds style for the short gear.

Atleast Mahindra should provide it as an accessory.
I am waiting to check this again during the first service.
Old 7th April 2021, 10:24   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
*SNIP*

Congrats bro! I'll definitely update you on my hardwiring of the 70mai later this week!

*SNIP*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
*SNIP*

And I look forward to the 70mai installation too. Need one for my Thar.

*SNIP*
For the two of you who have fitted (or will be fitting) the 70mai dash cams, I have a request:

Since the windshield on Thar is not as inclined as on sedans, and the 70mai is more designed to fit sloped windshields (in terms of lens rotation), I would like to see videos of some captured footage from your cameras.

I want to see how much of the road and sky is visible and how much of the bonnet.

My preference with dash cams is that I want to see as little of the bonnet as possible and as much of the road and sky. 70mai (and others like Viofo) etc., do not have as much rotation in their lenses to permit this.

Thanks and cheers
Old 7th April 2021, 20:51   #1488
BHPian

My Thar finally reached Delhi yesterday, sans the infotainment, will take delivery in Navratre. If it arrives by then ok, otherwise delivery without stereo. Variant is LX P HT MT RB, books on 08.10.2020.

Any advice for pre delivery?
pariyadav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 00:26   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY View Post
The vehicle had arrived at the dealership on 24th march but was waiting for the infotainment system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
My Thar finally reached Delhi yesterday, sans the infotainment, will take delivery in Navratre. If it arrives by then ok, otherwise delivery without stereo.
Congratulations to all the new owners of this beautiful jeep. Wishing you lakhs of happy kilometres with the magnificent Thar.

Pardon me not going through all the 100 pages of this thread, but are the vehicles reaching the dealers without the touchscreen (infotainment) system or is there something else I have missed here? Or have you upgraded the audio system and getting it installed at the dealer?

Because this is quite new to me. Haven't heard of cars and infotainment systems arriving separately at the dealer before.

If the dealer is installing infotainment systems then how is the quality of work being done? I mean are the dealers able to match factory finish in terms of installing the screens and handling the electricals?

I'm sorry for asking too many questions together but just got curious as to what is happening here.

Thanks.
Old 8th April 2021, 10:52   #1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Many congratulations. Getting a Thar delivered has become akin to winning a lottery, that’s the kind of feeling we are getting. Glad the ordeal ended and you got your beast. Mine too is a Red Rage, but I am still in queue.
Who was your dealer and what was your booking date?
Wish you many happy miles. Keep us posted.
Thank you justwheels. I have booked my Thar on October 12th from Anant cars, bannerghatta road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekjsk View Post
Congratulations buddy. The Thar definitely looks smashing in the red color. Wishing you many happy miles with your ride.
Thank you shekjsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Even the owner's manual hasn't got much info about the running-in procedure, except the lines copied below:

Driving smoothly during first 1000 kms. will help to prevent abnormal and premature system wear. Proper running in will be improving the life of drivetrain and vehicle components.

A new engine may consume more oil during the first 1000 kms. of running. This should be considered as a normal part of break-in and not interpreted as any problem with the engine.

Many congratulations and wish you a million miles of safe and happy journeys!
Thank you comfortablynumb. Yes, except those lines on the manual, there is no other instruction given by the SA. I talked about it to a couple of owners and heard a similar response. However, I decided to spend some time and break it in the old fashioned way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Hey Many congratulations and Happy Miles to you.

Got a question for you if you can please help. In this forum previously someone had mentioned that the front sensors are very noisy and standalone unit which is not integrated with the HU. Can you please throw some light on this. Thanks
Thank you jayeshdamle. Yes, I have not read a single positive review on the front sensors and yet decided to go ahead and get one fixed. And it turned out to be one of the most used accessories for me. I think people were expecting it to be integrated into the system (Like the XUV 300 and I still don't know why is this not an option for Thar owners). However, even with the external hardware, I found this sensor to be extremely useful. The noise can be switched off with a button hidden behind the glovebox. Here is a picture for your reference

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar_front_sensor.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Congratulations! It looks smashing. Wish you many happy miles on it.
Thank you cool_dube.

** Update after two weeks and 1300km on Odo

Apologies to everyone for the delayed response. The last two weeks kept me occupied with Easter and driving between Bangalore and Kerala.

There was a strange issue I have faced with my Manual diesel Thar. At around 600km, on a short drive near my hometown, I have noticed that there was smoke coming from the engine bay along with a burning smell. I have also noticed that there was a significant loss of power. My dad was driving at the same time and we decided to take it home and call the SOS. Mahindra sent a pick-up truck and the Thar was sent to Eram motors, Kannur.

The SA called me the next day after the inspection and told me that there was an issue with the transmission cable, and when you slot the first gear, the car was engaging into 3rd gear; which explains the power loss . And the smell & smoke were the aftermaths of extreme clutch use due to the power loss. This is something that I'm finding hard to swallow since we did not engage the clutch throughout and the distance was less than 5km. They have also told me that the smell will fade away in time.

I have driven another 700 odd km after this incident including some off-road where I needed to engage the low range gears. I have not had the issue ever since and the intensity of the burning smell has reduced to nill by now.

Upon arriving Bangalore, I was called by the Anant Cars SA for inspecting the leakage on the Hard Top. I have explained everything that happened and he had a similar response. I insisted on a checkup and he confirmed that they couldn't find any anomalies in the Thar.

Though it's not acceptable for a brand new car to go through these issues, I knew what I was doing when I signed up for buying a brand new version of the Mahindra vehicle. Being an engineer myself, I'm aware of the quality issues in the first version of any product. But I want to know if anyone else in the forum have faced a similar issue. Also, it would be helpful if anyone with some technical knowledge can chime in.

PS: Away for two weeks and a few more of us got hands-on with their Thar. Many congratulations to jkrishnakj, MithunSathianat and DSY. I hope Mahindra is fixing their supply chain issues and blessing the customers with more and more of Thars.

Here are some more photos of the eye candy

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210401_180433010101.jpg Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210403_085109010101.jpg Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210403_08594701.jpg
darwin is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 12:39   #1491
BHPian

Congrats to all the latest owners of Thar.

More so reasons to complain. Are there any more guys still left, who booked before 10-October-2020, & still awaiting their delivery? I booked on 9th October & now CPD is 19th April 2021. Not sure, if this date will honoured or not.
Old 8th April 2021, 14:31   #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Are there any more guys still left, who booked before 10-October-2020, & still awaiting their delivery?
Mine is after a week (Oct 17th) and Promissed Delivery Date is April 25th for Petrol LX MT variant from Sireesh Automobiles, Bangalore.

So far the dealer has responded positively on the adherence to the delivery date. Yet to get a solid confirmation though.

Since you have a week seniority above me, I assume you should get your delivery on time.Would recomend to buzz your SA on a confirmation.

Which variant and dealer is your booking?
Kolambifly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 10:55   #1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolambifly View Post
Mine is after a week (Oct 17th) and Promissed Delivery Date is April 25th for Petrol LX MT variant from Sireesh Automobiles, Bangalore.

So far the dealer has responded positively on the adherence to the delivery date. Yet to get a solid confirmation though.

That is interesting. My booking date is 1st November and the Promised date is 29th August. Did Mahindra receive tons of bookings in those 13 days or is this a ‘set low expectations and then over deliver’ kind of a Promised date?
Old 9th April 2021, 11:36   #1494

Hello All,
After all the trails and tribulations my Thar as finally arrived. Took the delivery on 7th April at 20:00 from the dealer, the documentation process went thorough without any last minute hassles. Got the radiator grill, side claddings, shoulder appliques, bumper cladding, visors, side mirror appliques and rear view camera as the additional accessories, also ordered a 7D floor mat from the dealer itself, which i will install during the weekend.

Now all set to explore new frontiers!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210408_163149.jpg  

AutoSatvik is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 12:36   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolambifly View Post

Since you have a week seniority above me, I assume you should get your delivery on time.Would recomend to buzz your SA on a confirmation.

Which variant and dealer is your booking?
Hello Kolambifly,
You are lucky to get a petrol one so early then. Mine is Diesel LX AT, booked at Snowview automobiles Shimla. I am constantly buzzing my SA everyday now , I have reasons to do so,:, & now date has been pushed down further to 22nd April. Dates only get pushed further, not earlier. However, I took this opportunity to enquire about the status of company fitted infotainment system. As per him, April deliveries are being sent out with OEM Infotainment fitted at the factory itself. So once the vehicle is at dealership, hopefully there won't be any further delays.
Old 9th April 2021, 13:33   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
Thank you justwheels. I have booked my Thar on October 12th from Anant cars, bannerghatta road.
Here are some more photos of the eye candy

Attachment 2142143 Attachment 2142144 Attachment 2142145
Congrats on the ride. Can you tell us where did you click these pictures, which beach is it? Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 17:12   #1497
BHPian

Hi Friends

Sorry for writing so late.

I received my Thar on 31/03/21 booked on 20/10/20.(though it was at the dealer yard since end of February but was delayed due to infotainment system).

Details as follows:-

Aquamarine Blue AT convertible top,Diesel.
Accessories installed- Rear camera,Window sunshades & floor mats(all OEM)

Initial Feedback-

Driven around 500 kms. so far ,one gets used to high driving position ,big front, small back end, in a couple of days., but good six speed AT (not as fast as my 7 speed AT Vento DSG).Fuel efficiency is around 12 kmpl with a mix highway and city.

None problems faced till now except for horn which was changed by the dealer there and then.

Attaching a few images for your pleasure:-

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1215.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1036.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1035.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1201.jpg
braveheart_77 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 18:00   #1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
Congrats on the ride. Can you tell us where did you click these pictures, which beach is it? Thanks
Thank you Technic90. The beach you see is Muzhappilangad beach, Kerala. It's the longest driving beach in Asia and one of the very few in India. The other pictures are taken from Udayagiri, Kerala. It's where my aunt and family lives
darwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 18:14   #1499
BHPian

^^
That is a really unique color, and it look so nice. Congratulations. I wish a deep sea blue was also available on the palette!
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 14:27   #1500
BHPian

I guess the most aesthetically pleasing handrest would a simple one which can be mounted from sides of the seat itself. Center mounted ones from azad and bimbra feels so shoddy. Any one has any idea of seat mounted ones just like the ones found in old gen scorpios?
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks