Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2021, 23:46   #1546

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
Received my LX P HT MT RB Thar yesterday.
Congratulations and wishing you a lot of happy miles. Will be taking a delivery of the same variant in a week.

Need suggestions in terms.of the insurance, how much did it costed and the selected insurance provider?
Is it possible to get a 3 year comprehensive + 3rd party? (The insurance guys at dealership said that it's not possible
Old 21st April 2021, 15:52   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolambifly View Post

Need suggestions in terms.of the insurance, how much did it costed and the selected insurance provider?
Is it possible to get a 3 year comprehensive + 3rd party? (The insurance guys at dealership said that it's not possible
I got mine for 54,419 from the showroom itself. It includes return to invoice, zero dep with consumables, coverage for all passengers and 3 years 3rd party, rest I'll have to enquire from the showroom. The dealer tried to match the quote of 50.5k I had from outside, but quote didn't include coverage for all passengers, which was said to escalate the premium to around 52k. Upon request by manager, who is a known I settled for 54+k. Company is Edelweiss GI, of which I haven't heard before but ....
My earlier quote was from Kotak Mahindra. PM me for any other details.
pariyadav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 16:11   #1548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Received my LX P HT MT RB Thar yesterday
Ah, finally a petrol Thar on the forum! Many congratulations and wishing you hundreds of thousands of happy and safe miles on the jeep!

A few queries for you, if you don't mind:
  • Why petrol and not diesel?
  • Did you take a test drive of the petrol AT before finalizing on the MT? If so, how would you compare the two in terms of power/performance?
  • Apparently you did not find the petrol to be as silent as expected. Is it noisy just from the outside or inside the cabin as well?
  • Looks like your Thar got the new version of the front skid plate. How sturdy is the material?
Do keep us posted on your experience, given that a petrol Thar is a rare species on this forum

Thanks in advance and happy jeeping
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 21:46   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

A few queries for you, if you don't mind:

Q.Why petrol and not diesel?

My running does not justify a diesel and also, I plan to keep the Thar for my lifetime, so an additional 5 years (NCR Diesel's validity is 10years only) legally is preferable.

Q. Did you take a test drive of the petrol AT before finalizing on the MT? If so, how would you compare the two in terms of power/performance?

I TDed only the diesel manual. The reviews of petrol were good, but they were available only for the AT. I am more of a manual gear person and I expected the MT to give better mileage, so that too was a plus.

Q. Apparently you did not find the petrol to be as silent as expected. Is it noisy just from the outside or inside the cabin as well?

No intrusive noises anywhere, neither outside or inside, but after reading reviews I was expecting it be as silent as say a Swift or Honda, too high expectations is my reason for saying so. Main sound is from the radiator fan, upon switching on the AC the sound of the fans increases further. Also, the engine runs so hot that the heat radiates outside and it is uncomfortable to sit on the bumper for more than a few seconds. The inside of the bonnet is so hot that holding the hood stay has to be done quickly.

Q. Looks like your Thar got the new version of the front skid plate. How sturdy is the material?

It is plastic and I don't have a reference to the one available earlier so I'll reserve my comments on that.

Q. Do keep us posted on your experience, given that a petrol Thar is a rare species on this forum

Unable to drive due to the lockdown in Delhi, but will update as and when I start driving for reasonable distances.

Always happy to help and answer queries
pariyadav is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 22:09   #1550
BHPian

Quote:

My running does not justify a diesel and also, I plan to keep the Thar for my lifetime, so an additional 5 years (NCR Diesel's validity is 10years only) legally is preferable.
Always happy to help and answer queries
Congratulations on the purchase of Thar Petrol. I would say that you've made a good decision, given the Supreme Court and NGT ruling for Petrol cars. I am in Himachal and you never know if this rule is implemented across other states too.

Are you planning to add accessories to your Thar or planning to keep it as it is. When I say accessories, I am referring to parts to amplify its off-road capability.
Old 21st April 2021, 23:01   #1551
BHPian

Quote:

Q. Looks like your Thar got the new version of the front skid plate. How sturdy is the material?

It is plastic and I don't have a reference to the one available earlier so I'll reserve my comments on that.
With regard to the buying the petrol, its absolutely a logical decision made at your end, given the norms prevailing in Delhi for Diesel and petrol vehicles. Moreover, the power and torque figures of petrol motor is higher than the diesel one. If one can live with the single digit mileage of petrol engine, it does make more sense to have one.

Regarding the skid plate is it plastic or made of hard plastic? In any case on an off road path the plastic skid plate will not have that endurance to take the beating. Why Mahindra why Mahindra

Anyways there won’t be anything else that will ever come close to a Thar when talking about user experience because most of the buying decisions are heart over mind.

All the best and wish you many happy miles ahead.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:20   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
If one can live with the single digit mileage of petrol engine, it does make more sense to have one.
I was hoping my driving style will help me hover in double digit figures, let's wait and watch. Else I will have to live with the single digit FE . I hoped the MT would breach double digit and still believe that. Rest will keep all updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Are you planning to add accessories to your Thar or planning to keep it as it is. When I say accessories, I am referring to parts to amplify its off-road capability.
I haven't done any off roading other than in sponsored events where everything from the vehicle to snacks was arranged by the company/showroom, we just had to arrive there in the given time slot.

The experiences were scary (when someone else was driving) but exciting. Off roading accessories will be added only if/as and when I start off-roading.

I don't plan to put off road tyres like BFGoodrich or anything else right now.

I only plan to put in foot mats, mud-flaps, air dam, rain visors preferably for all 4 windows, window shades, headlight upgrades if the current ones are insufficient. Scorpio like seat armrests.

This one is quite significant for me for luggage carrying and will be done as and when it is available. Fortuner like middle seats for the rear which can slide as well as flip forward to help put in extra luggage, I don't want rails to be fixed on the boot floor. Such seats were available in my earlier fortuner which could slide and flip and we're only hinged to the floor and had locking points.

Pics attached for both the seat changes available separately, as shared in a whatsapp group. Sliding one is available with Bimbra (prices mentioned too), the other I am not aware.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb_img_1618483528706.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210407wa0011.jpg  

pariyadav is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 14:20   #1553
BHPian

@pariyadav, I was kind of hoping that you would answer in that way and nice to hear on your inputs. All-in-All, Thar has very good potential and it does talks to your heart and invokes that small rebel hidden in everyone.
Do keep us posted on the additions and the drives that would be doing in your Thar.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 20:55   #1554
BHPian

Received these pictures through WhatsApp, of a rear seat that flips and benches made on the sides in the rear that cover the wheel arches and extend into the boot.
This an entirely different than those seen before.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210422wa0057.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210422wa0056.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd April 2021 at 16:47. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
pariyadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 22:14   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
Received these pictures through whatsapp, of a rear seat that flips and benches made on the sides in the rear that cover the wheel arches and extend into the boot.
From the dashboard this seems to be the previous generation of Thar. Also this arrangement is aftermarket. You'll find ample of these conversions in previous generation models.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:04   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Received these pictures through whatsapp, of a rear seat that flips and benches made on the sides in the rear that cover the wheel arches and extend into the boot.
This is most definitely a previous gen Thar. The 2020 thar has elevated floor towards the rear and as mentioned above, the dashboard is completely different. And no roof mounted speakers.

A quick question for current Thar owners, has anyone thought of damping or deadening the new Thar?

Booked mine in October and after a cumbersome and very irritating wait and me irritating the dealership, the Thar arrived 2 weeks ago. Sadly enough without a HU. I was informed that it will come in soon and that I should get the delivery by Saturday or Monday.
darkpython9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 11:26   #1557
BHPian

My front windshield have been fogging up during the nights which is causing serious trouble.
Fogging happens mostly on the lower middle part of windshield.
Many owners have been reporting this issue in WhatsApp group. Seems this is a common issue.
Is any one here facing this issue? If so, any resolutions from Mahindra?
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:12   #1558
BHPian

Now will you call it fate or just a series of coincidences?

I had been eagerly waiting for my Thar and was ecstatic to hear that I would be getting my beast during the end of April.

Come April, fate played real life April fool on 1st April and I contracted Covid that day with my family also positive. And 2 days later I got a call that my beast is allocated. What timing.
Next 2 weeks while recuperating from and fighting Covid, I kept getting calls to provide loan papers etc. While dealership was considerate upon knowing my Covid situation, I could sense their eagerness.

2 weeks later, I and family managed to come out of this Covid menace and I started to arrange the loan papers and asked for evaluation of my Ecosport, my apartment was declared a containment zone and locked for 14 days. Da*n the coincidences.

Now I am in a peculiar situation that my beast is reaching the Yard in a day or 2 but I can't do PDI for next 12 days. I can't get my Ecosport physically evaluated also till this ends.

Huh, series of coincidences. And I continue to wait for my Red Rage beast.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:52   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Huh, series of coincidences. And I continue to wait for my Red Rage beast.
That's too bad brother. Hope everything will be fine. And don't worry, as long as the vehicle is allocated to your booking the showroom should hold on to it for you, until and unless some jugaad happens.
Did you get the vin/chassis number?

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd April 2021 at 16:46. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please don't quote large posts entirely. Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2021, 20:50   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
My front windshield have been fogging up during the nights which is causing serious trouble.
Fogging happens mostly on the lower middle part of windshield.
Many owners have been reporting this issue in WhatsApp group. Seems this is a common issue.
Is any one here facing this issue? If so, any resolutions from Mahindra?
Though it has revamped itself completely, the roots of its DNA goes back to the jolly old Jeeps.

This issue was there with the old gen Thar also, the windshield defogger even though not engaged leakes some air due to which when the blower is in operation it creates fog at the lower part of the windshield.

Fortunately in my Thar CRDe this had kept away till now or it is because probably mine was the last of the lot before CRDe was discontinued, Mahindra had sorted out almost all the niggles in CRDe before it got discontinued. In any case, the ASC would be resolve it since then had also already done in the CRDe.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks