Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2021, 09:36   #1561
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Guys, the delivery of my Thar soft top diesel is due tomorrow. Kindly give suggestions regarding pre-delivery inspection and other things which need be kept in mind before taking the delivery.

I already have my reservations about the insurance amount quoted by the dealership i.e. 66,000 which includes one year zero dep +2 years of third party. Does it seem reasonable for 13.16 ex showroom price?

Secondly, i want to know if the radiator guard/ bash plate provided by mahindra as an accessory is any good or would it be better to go for a third party one?
Malhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 10:31   #1562
Senior - BHPian

I got quote from New India Assurance for 1st year O/D and 3 year TP for 49k. Zero Depreciation is included.
Old 25th April 2021, 10:54   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
Guys, the delivery of my Thar soft top diesel is due tomorrow.
Congratulations!!

Refer to the trusted TBhp PRI (or PDI) checklist. You might also want to refer to a few of the reviews here to understand how the owners went about their respective inspections.

On the insurance, a return to invoice, zero depreciation, comprehensive, 3rd party should cost you around 55k. Again this might vary given the location (especially the RTI component).

The under-radiator skid plate available on the m2all is made of mild steel. The ones available with Bimbra is made of aluminum. By my reckoning, while steel maybe be heavier than aluminum (adds to the weight), but it's stronger. The prices are more or less similar.

Please do share your PRI/PDI experience.
Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 13:47   #1564

Hi All

Finally got my Thar D AT. Pics attached. Got it delivered home. Listing out the accessories and modifications required. Will be taken up shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-8aa50172d04c4293be3066aa8e81e17e.jpeg  

Jakkireddys is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 16:16   #1565

Comrades, I am new to Thar/jeep family. Before this I have only owned Marutis and therefore I have almost no idea of any after market additions/mods etc. You can say I am scared of adding anything in car as I am afraid of getting the warranty void.

I have a Red MT Diesel Convertible and have driven it around 11k kms since November 2020. I tried my hands on off-roading and that is just too much fun. Loved every bit of the car.

However, I am facing a few minor issues every now and then and I am not sure how to tackle them. They crop up sometimes and when i take the car to service center everything starts working fine. The service center is more than reluctant to check the car when everything is working fine. So some suggestions would be great.

1. My 12v charger socket dies abruptly and then sooner or later comes back to life abruptly. I had a puncture on my trip to Jageshwar, we repaired the tyre but couldn't refill it as the 12v socket was dead. We then used the spare tyre. A week later when we were back to Lucknow, the socket was working fine as if nothing had happened. This has happened multiple times now.

2.Same is happening with my USB port (the one used for connecting Android auto/carplay). Sometimes it works while other times it just refuses to work.

3. Horn- there have been 5-7 instances where i only hear a minor beep instead of the heavy dual tone horn. Service center simply says that when it will stop working they will replace it under warranty.

4. The right side of the rear Soft top portion makes an irritating rattling noise even at speeds of 40+

5. The speaker system is good, if not average, but sometimes a lot of vibrations seep in as soon as a song with bass comes in. The vibrations come from top left speaker only. I have adjusted the equaliser to adjust the speaker such that bass is reduced to as little as possible and that has helped in reducing vibrations, but i hope you all understand that it kills the fun of listening to music. Is there any permanent solution?

6. Thanks to my driving skills and immaculate understanding of the height of the car, i have managed to poke a hole on the top of the soft top. The service center wants half of my ancestral property to replace the soft top. Is there any (inexpensive) way to repair it??

For reasons unknown, the service center is not of much/any help.

Please guide. Thanks in advance
samanvya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 16:52   #1566
BHPian

Hi guys

Any suggestions for headlight upgrade, don’t want aftermarket headlight assemblies.I would prefer just headlight bulb upgrade either to yellow or white light.
Old 25th April 2021, 19:18   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanvya View Post
Comrades, I am new to Thar/jeep family.

6. Thanks to my driving skills and immaculate understanding of the height of the car, i have managed to poke a hole on the top of the soft top. The service center wants half of my ancestral property to replace the soft top. Is there any (inexpensive) way to repair it??
Congratulations on your new Thar.

I have managed to scrape against branches myself - luckily no damage. The height of the vehicle is quite high, specially when coming from a hatch / sedan. I underestimated it myself, as a result I cant park my vehicle in the basement parking at home

Regarding your soft top - its best you replace the canopy. With repairs, you might face issues during the rains
slicvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 19:19   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
Hi guys

Any suggestions for headlight upgrade, don’t want aftermarket headlight assemblies.I would prefer just headlight bulb upgrade either to yellow or white light.
You can go for LED light bulbs, it's plug and play setup and takes 2 minutes to replace. Branded options such as from Blaupkunt cost around INR 5000 for 2 bulbs (LHS & RHS)
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 20:12   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
You can go for LED light bulbs, it's plug and play setup and takes 2 minutes to replace. Branded options such as from Blaupkunt cost around INR 5000 for 2 bulbs (LHS & RHS)
Not sure if simply switching to LED bulbs on a stock halogen + reflector headlight assembly is a good idea.

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 25th April 2021 at 20:15.
Old 25th April 2021, 20:14   #1570

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Congratulations on your new Thar.

Regarding your soft top - its best you replace the canopy. With repairs, you might face issues during the rains
Thanks a ton.

My service center has given a rough estimate of 35-50k for canopy + GST + Labour charges + 2-3 days time. I didn't check from the insurance people, but the service center said that despite zero dep insurance soft top canopy isn't covered under insurance. My experience has been bad with that particular service center and I do NOT trust a word they say. Hence the comments over here.
I have seen youtube videos where people said that they got their soft top converted to hard top in 70-80k. So I am reluctant in spending 50k for soft top canopy.
Any idea how much does the canopy actually cost?
Old 25th April 2021, 21:00   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton.

My service center has given a rough estimate of 35-50k for canopy + GST + Labour charges + 2-3 days time. I didn't check from the insurance people, but the service center said that despite zero dep insurance soft top canopy isn't covered under insurance. My experience has been bad with that particular service center and I do NOT trust a word they say. Hence the comments over here.
I have seen Youtube videos where people said that they got their soft top converted to hard top in 70-80k. So I am reluctant in spending 50k for soft top canopy.
Any idea how much does the canopy actually cost?
I didnt think of the insurance. Theres no reason insurance can deny it, as long as it was unintentional. Read between the lines and try pursuing the insurance angle.

I dont know why people would pay 70K for a hard top when they could have just bought a hard top for 10K more in the first place.
Old 25th April 2021, 21:20   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Not sure if simply switching to LED bulbs on a stock halogen + reflector headlight assembly is a good idea.
The light does scatter in a reflector setup. Hence it's advisable to use LED bulbs only for high beam which can be switched on when needed and not blinding the oncoming traffic.
Old 25th April 2021, 22:02   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Cross-quoting this quote here, update from my ownership thread on my mileage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
...The overall average for the 10,000 KM ownership is 11.55 KMPL, Rs. 7.10 per KM. Yeah, not much of an impact vs. the first 3,000 KM - but am sure I could have clocked better mileage figures in the first 3,000 KM because I was babying the Thar at ~80 KMPH, with only bursts of 90 to 110 KMPH. Oh well...
Quote:
I have a Red MT Diesel Convertible and have driven it around 11k kms since November 2020. I tried my hands on off-roading and that is just too much fun. Loved every bit of the car.
1. My 12v charger socket dies abruptly and then sooner or later comes back to life abruptly. I had a puncture on my trip to Jageshwar, we repaired the tyre but couldn't refill it as the 12v socket was dead. We then used the spare tyre. A week later when we were back to Lucknow, the socket was working fine as if nothing had happened. This has happened multiple times now.

2.Same is happening with my USB port (the one used for connecting Android auto/carplay). Sometimes it works while other times it just refuses to work.

3. Horn- there have been 5-7 instances where i only hear a minor beep instead of the heavy dual tone horn. Service center simply says that when it will stop working they will replace it under warranty.

4. The right side of the rear Soft top portion makes an irritating rattling noise even at speeds of 40+

5. The speaker system is good, if not average, but sometimes a lot of vibrations seep in as soon as a song with bass comes in. The vibrations come from top left speaker only. I have adjusted the equaliser to adjust the speaker such that bass is reduced to as little as possible and that has helped in reducing vibrations, but i hope you all understand that it kills the fun of listening to music. Is there any permanent solution?
First off, congrats on the ownership of the beast! You should post some pics!

Considering your month of delivery, I'm guessing both our Thars are from the same batch. So here is my thoughts -

For #1 to #3, this seems to be wiring harness issue. Luckily, the wiring harness issue in your car is minor (unlike mine, in case you didn't read about it!) - a competent service center should be able to fix it. You may want to see which service center in your locality is competent, and it should be an easy fix.

#4 is probably the window part of the soft top flapping on the curved metal arm of the convertible top. Try keeping a 2 sq. inch foam (common kitchen cleaning foam will do) at the top right corner of the window, right before the transparent window starts.

#5 is because of the convertible top's metal frame - it sits right on top of the speaker mount and at times, they like to touch eachother . The solution is to have an inch thick foam tucked between the metal frame and the speaker mount.

I have done these in my Thar, and will post some details and photos in my ownership thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
Hi guys

I have ordered some 4300K LED from DHGate - ordered a cheap one to test their delivery time, quality of the product, and customs duty (if they slap one or not). It's about 3 weeks and seems to have reached India - I'll update my ownership soon after I get it.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 22:40   #1574
BHPian

Quote:

For reasons unknown, the service center is not of much/any help.

Please guide. Thanks in advance
Hello Mate,

First of all congratulations for owning this beauty, wish you many happy miles with it. Will try to address the issue point wise:

Point No. 1 & 2:
In continuation to what bhpian Phoenix mentioned, it could also be due to a faulty fuse. A good FNG who has a electrician will be able to solve this, just need to open the fuse box, identify and replace the faulty fuse with the spare one. But since yours is under warranty, you will have to sit on ASS’s head to get this done.

3) If it’s a dual horn, the male one would have gone kaput. But it’s pathetic of the ASS to say what you have mentioned.

4) The nutbolts of The bars holding the soft top would have gone loose, I faced this issue in my Thar CRDe and it was persistent. During routine operation it gets loosened up. It’s a 10 minutes job, ASS would be able to fix it up.

5) Bhpian Phoenix’s analysis is perfect in this.

6) You can check with those who deal with aftermarket modifications. The Thar CRDe canopy comes at a range of Rs.7-8k, not sure why they are charging so exorbitant. Depending on the size of the hole you can fill it with a puff solution spray if it’s minimal, if it’s not a hole and big tear it will be problematic. You can also get someone to fix a Nitrile rubber foam with adhesive, it will serve the purpose 99% of the time, during monsoon it will be required to be checked for signs of leakage.

Lastly, prior to owning a Thar I also had a Swift VXI so I can pretty much understand your position, unlike Maruti ASS, Mahindra ASS is a big downer. At times the lethargic approach will boil your blood, Mahindra products are good but the approach of their Service Advisor is a big issue. Furthermore, Jeeps require a separate attention to detail approach which unfortunately most of the ASS guys don’t have. You can check the ownership thread of my Thar 700 and you will get to know how they screwed up a basic wheel alignment issue until I gave them a mouthful. Servicing or solving niggles in a Jeep is totally different than any other car even from the Mahindra stable.

Hence, in nutshell while putting up your Thar for routine service or any other issue, you should be able to stand on their hand and tell them boss I am not accepting any bullshit that you say. I would suggest you to visit Thar CRDe threads, 90% of the answers will be there since the new one is descendant of the CRDe.
abhikb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 22:58   #1575
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,
So I finally got my beast delivered today. Words simply can not describe the excitement of finally getting it. Let me give you a quick recap of everything that went on.
I was in search for a new vehicle after selling my 2014 skoda octavia 1.8tsi, stage 3 tuned by IS20 turbo and all the jazz(now that's a story for another time), let's go back to October 2020.

My dad loved the new Creta, a close family member was pushing the idea of Hector onto my dad and me being me was in love with the all new Thar. Now I'm not going to go in detail and explain why we crossed out the Creta and Hector but it was mostly the generic reasons you'll find in most other posts on this thread. So I convinced my family that Thar was what we needed.

Booked on October 21st, diesel automatic hard top, and dealer being the dealer promised to deliver the vehicle by December 1st week. Obviously that didn't happen. I already had a bunch of mods in mind and got led bars from nilight USA in November. Time passed, I kept bugging the dealership and months went by.

Finally a couple of weeks ago, I got a call from the gm that the vehicle arrived at the dealership, but no infotainment system. And that it will arrive within a week or so. Obviously after a 6 month wait I was super excited and couldn't control myself. Went to the lot and checked out the car and did my PDI. What a beauty she was.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210426wa0066.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210426wa0067.jpg

So I started bugging them about the infotainment system and went again after 3 days, meanwhile we had mild rains the day before I visited the lot. Me and a friend got I'm the car and when we'd gotten out, his bottom was completely wet. As funny as it was, I'd realised it was most probably a roof leak. I'd called the gm and informed of the same, he said he'll look into it.
The infotainment system finally arrived today and they installed it and called me. Went to pick it up and saw water was leaking after the wash.
The SA told me water would've been sprayed inside while the cleaning. I asked them to wipe it again and spray water on top. Voila it was leaking. I have a video of it and can't figure out how to upload it, so here's a snapshot from the video. Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20210426223130_whatsapp.jpg
But I was too eager to get the car and told them to get it done at the first service. Took all videos and spoke with the gm about this.
Now about the vehicle, it had done 7kms when I saw it in the lot andbwas at 12kms during the delivery. 67 kms done as of today. And what a car it is. Took to slight dirt tracks also. Ordered some gorilla waterproof tape and plan on taping on the top of the roof, if it looks good and works, will leave it, if not, I'll see. I want to go on about the pros and cons, but I think the previous posts are more than enough. Adding a few pictures I took of the Thar.
(this is my first long post, please don't mind any mistake made). That's it for today folks. Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210426wa0061.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210426wa0062.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210426wa0063.jpg
darkpython9 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed