Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2021, 19:03   #1651
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldk2 View Post
Is there any push from the SA to buy things from them, like insurance and other stuff?. Looks like, come couple of weeks I may bug you with more and more questions. Hope I don't get blocked and do keep us posted with tons and tons of pictures of your beast.
At this point no push from them. I would say they have been easy to deal with. Car should be available in 3 days or so.

Car loan, I am getting from my Bank (HDFC Bank) as I committed to them long back itself. I told my bank to process it asap.

For Insurance they said they will try to match the outside quote. HDFC said they will offer insurance around 50k. I will check with VVC once I get the quote. Seeing the failures being listed, I have decided to opt for all the addons available. This ride will see water for sure.

Accessories I listed a few which I wanted. They agreed to that. No chrome for me.

Below is the quotation given. Glad to see that I saved close to 50K due to price hike and the road tax.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-october-booking-quote.jpeg  

indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 19:23   #1652
VRJ
BHPian

Thanks to Team-BHP’s PDI checklist and BHP’ians ph03n!x virtual help via DM, I just finished the pre delivery inspection of my Thar. Received a call out of blue on Friday from the GM that my Thar is in transit and it arrived today morning. I immediately drove 30 kms to their stockyard to do my PDI. I’m stoked . Lot of firsts with the Thar. The security guy and the service staff were surprised as to why I have come to the stockyard. They haven’t seen a customer there before, lol. Well, BHP’ians are very particular about their rides. I test drove for 2 kms. Everything seems alright. One thing tho, the 4x4 lever is soo damn hard to move from 2H to 4H to 4L. Will it become smoother in due course?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-717a3a6dca264a90a313cb29eec3921f.jpeg

The only fly in the ointment during the PDI is I spotted water leakage from the hardtop. I asked the service guy to spray some water and I was praying not to see water on the inside. But I did, on the passenger side. I clicked the picture after a few drops fell on the seat. Quite disappointing . In the Thar manufacturing video, they show that all Thars are tested for this and yet this still happened. Mega fail by QA and QC. Took pictures and sent it to the GM. He’s a friendly chap and said he’d get it sorted. Hopefully the sealant fix can also fix my broken-heart.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-93d0bbb507f44a74b03625e0b533a412.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-b7789ec100fd4be9adb644104cd39c8b.jpeg

I’m all set to take delivery this Wednesday at 10:15 AM. I be vibin’ in a couple of days boys!!

Cheers!
VRJ is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 19:29   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post

The only fly in the ointment during the PDI is I spotted water leakage from the hardtop. I asked the service guy to spray some water and I was praying not to see water on the inside. But I did, on the passenger side. I clicked the picture after a few drops fell on the seat. Quite disappointing . In the Thar manufacturing video, they show that all Thars are tested for this and yet this still happened. Mega fail by QA and QC. Took pictures and sent it to the GM. He’s a friendly chap and said he’d get it sorted. Hopefully the sealant fix can also fix my broken-heart.

Attachment 2154222

Attachment 2154223

I’m all set to take delivery this Wednesday at 10:15 AM. I be vibin’ in a couple of days boys!!

Cheers!
Congrats VRJ. Can I ask you the manufacturing month of your Thar? If it is a recent build, I would assume they are still not checking this carefully.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 19:39   #1654
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Congrats VRJ. Can I ask you the manufacturing month of your Thar? If it is a recent build, I would assume they are still not checking this carefully.
Thank you Pancham . I have no idea about when my Thar is manufactured. I didn’t bother to check since the Thar is in such high demand and every Thar that is being manufactured is already sold. So, I was with the assumption it’s fresh from the assembly line. It was the same case when we took delivery of our Fortuner 30 months ago. It was in high demand and I wasn’t afraid of receiving a car that sat in a lot somewhere. However, since you asked I’m going to text the GM to send me the VIN number. Hopefully someone can decode it. Is there any other way to know the manufacturing date other than the VIN number? Thank you!

Cheers!
VRJ is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 20:43   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Pancham . I have no idea about when my Thar is manufactured. I didn’t bother to check since the Thar is in such high demand and every Thar that is being manufactured is already sold. So, I was with the assumption it’s fresh from the assembly line. It was the same case when we took delivery of our Fortuner 30 months ago. It was in high demand and I wasn’t afraid of receiving a car that sat in a lot somewhere. However, since you asked I’m going to text the GM to send me the VIN number. Hopefully someone can decode it. Is there any other way to know the manufacturing date other than the VIN number? Thank you!

Cheers!
Congratulations and best of luck for Wednesday. Minor niggles aside, you will enjoy your ride.

I took delivery of my thar from VVC Motors only a few days back and mine is a march 2021 make. So I'm assuming yours could be from a similar batch too.

You will know the manufacturing date if you look at the TR draft that they send you before generating the TR number.
Diesel9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 20:47   #1656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Pancham . I have no idea about when my Thar is manufactured. I didn’t bother to check since the Thar is in such high demand and every Thar that is being manufactured is already sold.
If you check the unique serial number in the plate on the LHS front dash, it should give a pretty good idea of manufacturing date. My Thar, made in Dec 2020 has a serial number of 6205. I guess monthly production in Q1 2021 is around 3000 units, so March-made Thars should have serial numbers in the range of 15000 or so.

On a different, but often discussed topic of Fuel efficiency, cross-posting from my ownership report, as I guess it has less visibility:

Autocar report on the real-life fuel efficiency of the Thar Petrol AT, Diesel AT and Diesel MT.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...plained-420757

I would say the Diesel AT figures are fairly accurate (11.3 city and 11.5 highway) as far as the city mileage is concerned. As for the highway fuel efficiency, they do not state the target speed at which the vehicle is being driven in the highway - my guess is around 100 KPH. A slightly slower speed of say 90 KPH should see 1-1.5 KPL higher efficiency. Also, being the heaviest variant at 1783 kg, the Diesel AT has a natural disadvantage.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 10th May 2021 at 21:17.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 00:02   #1657
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on the Thar!
Don't worry about the roof leak, mine had a very similar leak when I did the PDI. Got it done at 1000kms service. Leaked the next day again. Gave an earful to everyone in the service department. They took it back and delivered the vehicle the next day and no leaks since. They just remove the sealant from the factory and use the sealant used for the windshield. I was expecting them to take off the front bit of the HT, but they don't.
Anyways the sealant is holding up solidly for now atleast.
Also, I'm form a small city and apparently there have been about 8 Thars with HT leaks.
Mahindra is following Teambhp, I got a call from a person asking me about all the issues I had, the ones I had spoken about on Teambhp. He told me that there is a department which follows every forum and notifies them of issues. Cheers to Mahindra for that.

Did moderate off-roading and a superbly capable 4X4. Did ascents and descents of 30° ( I don't know how impressive 30° is, but sure felt like a lot in the car).

Adding a few shots below.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210510wa0100.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210510wa0099.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210510wa0101.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th May 2021 at 08:05. Reason: Including the line from the previous duplicate post. Thank you!
darkpython9 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 04:09   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
Mahindra is following Teambhp, I got a call from a person asking me about all the issues I had, the ones I had spoken about on Teambhp. He told me that there is a department which follows every forum and notifies them of issues. Cheers to Mahindra for that.
If this is true, Mahindra please note and add these features straight away.

1. Dead Pedal
  2. Outside Ambient Temperature
  3. Removable roof just like freedom top in Wrangler
  4. Armrest for front seats
  5. Rear Stop Light needs better covering. It outrightly looks feeble and ugly.

These features won't cost much as Thar already has the provisions to integrate these.

Also, please look into your QC Department. A person who has waited for 8-9 months for your product can wait 4 days more but for God's sake, check the product thoroughly before handing it over.

I wish mine is free from the niggles and have the features listed above.
Only if wishes were horses...
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 08:13   #1659
BHPian

Quote:

Did moderate off-roading and a superbly capable 4X4. Did ascents and descents of 30° ( I don't know how impressive 30° is, but sure felt like a lot in the car).

Adding a few shots below.
Attachment 2154289

Attachment 2154290

Attachment 2154291
Location looks cool. Where is this place ?
Old 11th May 2021, 09:00   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel9999 View Post
Location looks cool. Where is this place ?
There's a belt of hills to the south of Guntur called kondaveedu and except for one hill the rest of the hills are pretty much unexplored. They are getting explored by me . One at a time.
darkpython9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 14:27   #1661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Below is the quotation given. Glad to see that I saved close to 50K due to price hike and the road tax.
Insurance amount seems quite high. You may save 40 grand if taken online. Please talk to other insurance providers also. 50k-60k is the normal range
MithunSathianat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 14:41   #1662
BHPian

A friend has recently got the Thar and isn't on Team-BHP. Posting on his behalf.

Are there any good off-roading locations where one can enjoy the 4x4 capabilities in Delhi NCR? Understand there is one course on Gurgaon-Faridabad road which is a paid one. Of course, he is planning to go after the lock-downs get lifted.

Mods: please move this post if this isn't the right thread
Old 11th May 2021, 17:01   #1663
BHPian

Telangana just announced lockdown . There goes my ride coming home for a few days.

In the meantime ode to the Thar

Thar is at home in every terrain. Right from Thar desert in Rajasthan to the Beaches down South. Himalayas up North to the Ghats. Be it Hyderabad ORR or Gandipet Lake or a Mall parking lot every place is its natural Habitat.

Seriously it is an appealing design form in any background.

Quote:
There's a belt of hills to the south of Guntur called kondaveedu and except for one hill the rest of the hills are pretty much unexplored. They are getting explored by me . One at a time.
Nice man. I will explore them when I go to Guntur in a Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Insurance amount seems quite high. You may save 40 grand if taken online. Please talk to other insurance providers also. 50k-60k is the normal range
100 years Man, I was just looking at the Insurance quotes from various vendors. SA informed me the revised quotation as 60,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel9999 View Post
The BF Goodrich tyres are up on the Thar and they have definitely enhanced the stance! The 'wranglerification' is now more complete
What was the additional unsprung weight with these tires. How much did they cost you.

Anyone here tried downsizing the Wheel Rims to 15" or 16" for the Thar 2020. I am exploring tire change along with Upgrading the tires. 16" is anyway the standard size so should not be a hassle. What tires will have similar stance as the 18" ones. What will be the weight penalty.

Last edited by indian21r : 11th May 2021 at 17:02.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 17:04   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
What was the additional unsprung weight with these tires. How much did they cost you.
I believe they are INR 22,000 per tyre.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th May 2021 at 17:07. Reason: Fixed.
darkpython9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 21:17   #1665
BHPian

Damping work started today, but we have lockdown from 12pm and the guys working on the car wanted to leave at 11am. So only floor and speakerbox done so far.
All three doors still need to be done.
Adding pictures below.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210512wa0053.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210512wa0052.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210512wa0051.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210512wa0050.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210512wa0049.jpg
darkpython9 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks