Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:26   #166
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar: Petrol vs Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
you'll see many BHPians who are confused between the petrol & diesel, while some even switched their booking from one engine to the other.
Hello @GTO and to other readers as well, I posted a similar question with my requirements in the Official Review Thread. But I guess readers were too excited with the reviews and were exchanging posts about delivery periods, insurances etc. Nevertheless, I would once again like to ask the forum about their opinion. I have more or less made up my mind to book the Thar, but I don't want to plonk 17 big ones(for the top variant diesel AT) for a possibly third car in the family which will be used occasionally just for fun. I like the Petrol AX base variant(@ about 12.15L on road in Bangalore) which suits my requirement. My thoughts about my decision are as below:-
Firstly I will be owning the THAR.
I don't need the diesel since I will not be using it for regular rides. It will be just for some fun weekend drives.
I don't need the AT simply because I want the MT. My other 2 cars are AT(2019 Alturas G4 & 2009 Hyundai i10 AT).
I can sacrifice all the creature comforts. All I need are basic safety features which are available in the base Petrol AX MT. Some essentials like the rear cameras can be bought later on.
Plus I like the 16 inch steel wheels. Looks raw and menacing. Should also offer a better ride compared to its 18 inch alloy siblings.
And I also feel the AX with side facing rear seats is more practical for 4 people rather than the front faced rear seats considering its ingress/egress.
And lastly, this will be parked outside.

So I request the opinion of the forum members on my choice considering my requirements. Will I regret in future for not picking a higher spec variant or the diesel one.
Thanks in advance.
Pkumarblore is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:42   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Maybe, but when they called me, it was clearly two questions that I remember.
a) Do you plan to exchange any existing car?

followed with

b) What car do you plan to exchange it with ?

Additionally, in the booking form, there is a text field that asks the details on the current cars that one owns. I left those intentionally blank. So, i will be counted as part of the 57% first time car buyers.
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:21   #168
Senior - BHPian

Anyone booked Thar in rural/semi-urban town and got a different delivery estimate than what's shared here earlier?
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:58   #169
Senior - BHPian

The current wait time for the Thar is 4-5 months. I am talking about Agra, Kanpur & Varanasi.
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:58   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Anyone booked Thar in rural/semi-urban town and got a different delivery estimate than what's shared here earlier?
I booked on 9th October and have received delivery dates for 15 Dec 20, (Shimla), don't know if it it would happen, seeing the expected wait time of 20 -22 weeks.
Old 22nd October 2020, 18:21   #171
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
So I request the opinion of the forum members on my choice considering my requirements. Will I regret in future for not picking a higher spec variant or the diesel one. Thanks in advance.
I definitely think you will regret. One of the best things about the new Thar is the improved liveability, greatly helped by the amenities, gizmos etc.

Whether petrol or diesel is down to personal preferences, but I would definitely recommend only the LX. I have never, ever regretted buying the top variant of any car in the long term; on the other hand, I have regretted middle variants.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2020 at 18:24.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:01   #172
Senior - BHPian

What's the news on deliveries for those who booked? My booking was on the 3rd, expected delivery is not before Dec 1st week - of course, I'm told this is the worst case.
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:39   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post

So I request the opinion of the forum members on my choice considering my requirements. Will I regret in future for not picking a higher spec variant or the diesel one.
I am a firm believer of saying "one size doesn't fit all". You would get varied opinions based on each individual's personality. Here is my take.

I have similar lineup of cars. A 2019 Isuzu MU-X and 2019 VW Polo GT. I really dont need Thar, to be honest (head speaking) but I always wanted a open top "jeep" since childhood (heart speaking). I am not really a off-road type of guy, and more of a highway cruiser.

Reading all the impressions and reviews of Thar tells me it is not really fit for my lifestyle. But I still feel like owning one, stripping it bare with just two seats and roll cage, and using it occassionally to roam around town late evenings or early mornings, not crossing 50-60 kmph within city. I can safely park all my cars in covered parking.

Do I really need to buy LX for my use case? I strongly dont think so. I dont need stereo in this car. I dont need hard top. I dont need MLD or BLD. I also feel like just removing the doors. Although I would prefer converible top, I dont want to spend 2/3L just for convertible top. Maybe I can add convertible top fown the lane.

This maybe most impractical version of the thar that I am creating but aren't we buying these cars to reflect our own personality, and not as a practical family car!! I think an AX petrol will suffice my wants. But thats just how I think. I wouldn't be able to convince others with my reasoning. Not even my wife. She thinks highest variant or no car. So I would say follow your reasoning and stick to that. Cheers!!
Comrade is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:43   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
What's the news on deliveries for those who booked? My booking was on the 3rd, expected delivery is not before Dec 1st week - of course, I'm told this is the worst case.
I booked on 06/10 earlier was promised 3rd week november then december and now jan! Its a big circus now is all i can say, all promises verbal Offcourse and off the record.

When i chose the official route all they can say is we will give you clarity by 7th november. Sorry state of affairs seriously though!
This is for delhi, petrol LX a/t hardtop.

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 22nd October 2020 at 20:45.
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:09   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
I booked on 06/10 earlier was promised 3rd week november then december and now jan! Its a big circus now is all i can say, all promises verbal Offcourse and off the record.
This is for delhi, petrol LX a/t hardtop.
I guess the issue was with staggered release of Thar in select cities first and then the b towns. Seems with unprecedented response across the country, the production plan has gone for a toss. Although I guess the staggered release should have helped but seems someone was caught off guard in Mahindra.

My 10th Oct booking has a current delivery promise date of 17th March 2021. Such a long period is dangerous with heart over head purchases. Too much time for rational head to win over irrational heart.

I might not be left with many Youtube videos and reviews to keep myself entertained. Hanging on still though.
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:40   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My booking was on the 3rd, expected delivery is not before Dec 1st week..
So who is taking delivery in the whole of Nov? The ones booked on Oct 2nd, that's when official booking started. And your 1 day delay pushed the delivery by more than a month? hmm.. something doesn't add up.

In a way, a wait is better that one will end up having a 2021 model and less hit with depreciation if at all one plan to sell in the near future.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 22:01   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
When i chose the official route all they can say is we will give you clarity by 7th november
Ask your dealer to look for the CPD Date in the POSO Report from EDCM. That should give the Customer Promise Date - which means your car will ship about a week prior to that date from the factory. Make no mistake, confirmed others will have this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
So who is taking delivery in the whole of Nov? The ones booked on Oct 2nd, that's when official booking started. And your 1 day delay pushed the delivery by more than a month? hmm.. something doesn't add up.

In a way, a wait is better that one will end up having a 2021 model and less hit with depreciation if at all one plan to sell in the near future.
There were a bunch of bookings made BEFORE 2nd My dealer too told me after 15th Aug that they are taking unofficial orders, which will help jump ahead of the queue. I did not take the leap, coz I wanted to know the pricing.

I will go ahead, as I don't intend to sell the Thar for a while, so the MY being one year behind coz of two months doesn't make much difference to me. I would have liked it in time for Diwali though.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 22nd October 2020 at 22:03.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 22:37   #178
BANNED

Motoroids review is out, with a dedicated off-road review in the works.
Old 23rd October 2020, 00:12   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
But I still feel like owning one, stripping it bare with just two seats and roll cage
AX doesn’t get a roll cage but I agree that lower end variants provide that freedom to customise features and source (OEM vs aftermarket). Having booked a LX AT HT, I feel Diesel AX std offers best value and capability.
Old 23rd October 2020, 01:13   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Having booked a LX AT HT, I feel Diesel AX std offers best value and capability.
There is no diesel AX std. Only petrol. Having said that AX is pretty good, if you want to customize. The platform is just waiting for custom jobs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks