Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2021, 18:59   #1786
VRJ
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Hello folks, hope you’re all doing well. Here’s a short update on my Thar. Completed 1500 km’s. It’s been 45 days.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-82f8ab53707c496d8ac7773e5c89189b.jpeg

First service done. Costed 250Rs. Got the underbody paint/rust protection for around 3k at the service centre during the first service. Comes with 2 years warranty. I live close to the beach, so better to be on the safe side.

Thanks to covid I haven’t been able to drive much. Unfortunately, a key member in our firm passed away a week after I got the Thar, so I had to take over and get things done leaving me no time to drive much. Hell, I wanted to write a short review from the past two weeks and I finally got around to write a short update on my phone.

Complaints in first service:

1. Knocking sound from the right rear when I go over rough roads. It is solved. Apparently it was because of the hinge of the boot. The SA said the rear tyre is very heavy and this lead to the problem. Wonder what would happen if I put on a bf Goodrich on it.

2. Thar going left on highway. SA said he did the alignment. Drove back home and it is still going left. Just don’t have the time to go back again for now.

3. AC is trash. The vents used to fog up. Cooling was very mediocre (I know it’s the opposite of what every Team-BHP’ian has felt). SA said some thermo sensor was loose. Vents fogging up has stopped, but the AC is still average. Again no time to go back to the service centre. Just noticed today that the windscreen is getting fogged up. Weird. I guess there’s AC leaking from the vent close to the windscreen.

To be honest, the only thing keeping me sane at the moment with all the work pressure is our farm and the small house we’re building there.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e26a500ece384076b20961cf6d0b8fec.jpeg

I should say the monsoons has given me a good opportunity to test the 4x4 capabilities of the Thar close to our farm. I should say I’m impressed. This is mine and my fathers first stint with a 4x4. It just goes through everything and anything. We’re loving the experience

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-31306a176c4e4645bf2dc41b0a201cc8.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-a55f8bb75b5e41e2b14d53ef1b1f811e.jpeg

The Thar’s efficiency seems to be very and I mean very sensitive to throttle input. Cruising at 80-90 kmph on the highway (55km one way to our farm) gives me 17.8kmpl and if I cruise at 100-110, it drops by 80%. Damn that’s bad. The wind noise at speeds above is 100kmph is ridiculous. Actually ridiculous is an understatement. It’s annoying.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-52ab31ca5fc641ac8b681f932d580f52.jpeg

I’m still contemplating on whether to start my ownership thread. There are already two great diesel AT threads. What do you guys think?

Cheers!!
VRJ is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 21:41   #1787
Senior - BHPian

So I got BFGs sometime a week or so back and have been using the Thar as my daily drive to work. The Petrol engine is a gem. Brings a wide smile everytime I mash that throttle. The whole Jeeper feel is taken to another level with this silent smooth engine and drive-train.
Coming to the BFGs. I was a bit skeptical about how many had said the ride is hard. And the overall ride becomes jarring. Some suggested that even if I have to get then, I should get them in 16 inches. And not the 18 inches which I have.
Locating the 16 inch tires was a tough job. Next I would have had to install very heavy steel rims with no real backing as to what quality they are of.
Atleast the I know how the stock ride is and that the stock wheels are of pretty good quality.
Went and took the plunge for 265/60R18. Didn't go for the 285s as this is a 7 inch rim and that would truly be taking things a bit too much and in turn ruining the fitment of the tire on the rim.
First thing that I noticed when I got the first tire mounted was the width of the tire. These were way way wider than the stock ceats.
There was another thar getting 22 inch 285s installed and this tire matched the width of those random 22 inch 285 tires.
I was shocked! These are very wide. Not just 10mm more than the 255 ceats.

Once installed I ready for that bumpy and jarring ride. Especially since the tires were filled up to 31 psi to calibrate the tire sensors.

Here came the big surprise!! The ride is actually more settled. Especially at the rear!
The bumpy ride which the ceats gave is gone! It doesn't jump around. The Thar stays planted! Maybe it's because of the weight of the tires but it stays planted. Doesn't jump around like the ceats. It just flattens the broken parts of the road and doesn't jump around on the speed humps.

The constant movement in the cabin is eased to a small amount. Of course as it is the nature of the suspension and chassis and not the tires.

Leaving with a random photo of the Thar. Haven't been able to take out time to take more pics.
Oh and a little birdy tells me that some Australian suspension is coming up for that Thar. And it is in tie up with an aftermarket company from India as well as Mahindra.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210624_143954.jpg  

navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 22:00   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Oh and a little birdy tells me that some Australian suspension is coming up for that Thar. And it is in tie up with an aftermarket company from India as well as Mahindra.
Looks really Good, BFG's are the best
White lettering is on the inner side?
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 22:32   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S
Leaving with a random photo of the Thar. Haven't been able to take out time to take more pics.
Wow. Looks awesome. I have been eyeing the 265 BFs for a very long time as I wait for my delivery. Can you divulge a bit more details?

- How difficult was it to find the 265s?
- Is this new stock or old 2020 ones?
- How much did they cost you?
- Where did you find these from? As in, which dealer?

BFs are extremely hard to find due to the import restrictions, hence the questions.
Old 24th June 2021, 23:03   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Looks really Good, BFG's are the best
White lettering is on the inner side?
265s in 18 inch don't have white lettering. They start from 285s. These truly are something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Wow. Looks awesome. I have been eyeing the 265 BFs for a very long time as I wait for my delivery. Can you divulge a bit more details?

- How difficult was it to find the 265s?
- Is this new stock or old 2020 ones?
- How much did they cost you?
- Where did you find these from? As in, which dealer?

BFs are extremely hard to find due to the import restrictions, hence the questions.
I got these from Ranjit Tires, Guntur. They are the only ones left with tires. 2020 make which doesn't exactly make it old so to speak.
Plus prices are shooting up. Please look up Ranjit Tires on Instagram and you'll get their number there. Best person to ask for prices. A friend of mine bought the same set the next day for quite a bit more. Haha. I have seen people being ripped. A person has bought the 265/60R18 for 40k apiece also! Beat that!
And I got a great price for the Ceats as well in buy back!

And in the process of searching for the BFGs I literally know all the big dealers in India who deal in good expensive tires and wheels.

Funny thing is when I asked for some offroad wheels they all send me the same design pictures in the same order!!! All of them. Not a single one showed anything different.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 02:30   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
So I got BFGs sometime a week or so back and have been using the Thar as my daily drive to work. The Petrol engine is a gem. Brings a wide smile everytime I mash that throttle. The whole Jeeper feel is taken to another level with this silent smooth engine and drive-train.
Hey navpreet

Your red thar looks beastly
Could you elaborate on the effect on FE caused by the upsized BFG albeit 10mm

Brgds
Capt.Arun
Old 25th June 2021, 07:55   #1792
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkad View Post
I booked by mid December and got it delivered this month. I booked Aqua color!
Venkad, Can you please give details where you booked and dates exactly !? I have booked on Dec 6th and still no sign of delivery nor calls from the dealership so far (Anant Cars). I think I made a huge mistake booking with these guys !!!
Old 25th June 2021, 08:46   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
......... But I will make sue I come back documenting my experiences post few kms.

The Red looks awesome and can't wait to read your ownership report.

One thing I can surely say, Thar goes through potholes in a much softer way as compared to my Ecosport. ...............
Thats a relief I must say. I am used to the ride quality and suspension of the Ecosport and its firmness actually gives confidence on the highways but pot holes are a pain at slow speeds. That's why was skeptical about the Thar's ride quality.

Wishing you many many Happy miles on your Red.
Drive Safe
Old 25th June 2021, 10:22   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
Hey navpreet

Your red thar looks beastly
Could you elaborate on the effect on FE caused by the upsized BFG albeit 10mm

Brgds
Capt.Arun
On paper it is a 10mm upsize. Actually due to the square profile of the BFG, the upsize is close to 30mm atleast.

I didn't notice any perceptual change in the FE. As it is the petrol fuel efficiency hovers around 7 to 8 kmpl in and around the city.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 15:27   #1795

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Venkad, Can you please give details where you booked and dates exactly !? I have booked on Dec 6th and still no sign of delivery nor calls from the dealership so far (Anant Cars). I think I made a huge mistake booking with these guys !!!
I booked on 10th December for AT Grey and then updated to MT Aquamarine color on 24th Dec! I think it also depends on color+variant choice. Someone before didnt get loan and so this specific model got passed on to me. SA gave me 20 days after lockdown to complete registration.

Mahindra is closely tracking the bookings. IMO, it is highly difficult to by pass the queue. Hold on Bro, it is worth it!

Last edited by Venkad : 25th June 2021 at 15:29.
Old 25th June 2021, 22:25   #1796
BHPian

I had booked my Napoli black thar diesel AT HT on November 12th at CAI Coimbatore. I was promised delivery of the thar on 12th June 2021. But because of the lockdown situation in Tamil Nadu and particularly the extended lockdown in Coimbatore district iam yet to get any updates on the delivery of my thar. This near 8 month wait has been very difficult. Hopefully with the showrooms now being allowed to open from Monday I hope I will get an update sometime next week. Fingers crossed.
surgvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 00:44   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgvij View Post
I had booked my Napoli black thar diesel AT HT on November 12th at CAI Coimbatore. I was promised delivery of the thar on 12th June 2021. But because of the lockdown situation in Tamil Nadu and particularly the extended lockdown in Coimbatore district iam yet to get any updates on the delivery of my thar. This near 8 month wait has been very difficult. Hopefully with the showrooms now being allowed to open from Monday I hope I will get an update sometime next week. Fingers crossed.
Hey surgvij

I had booked my Napoli black petrol AT HT during the last week of October 2020 at CAI coimbatore and I'm still waiting for delivery.

My cpd got pushed from March to May then to June and at present it stands as 11 July 2021.
Even after consistently following up with the SA and the manager the delivery still seems cloudy.

Fellow tbhpians kindly advise as my patience is running thin and frankly right now the Thar's charm has started to wear off.

I already have my 2015 city ivtec doing its duty quite well and the Thar was supposed to be nothing less than a lifestyle vehicle as well as the second car.

Should I keep calm and wait for the Thar till my Napoli black hair turns to galaxy grey or cancel the booking and buy a bigger and better more fun car/SUV 2 to 3 years down the line?

Brgds,
Capt.Arun.
Capt.Arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 05:10   #1798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post

Fellow tbhpians kindly advise as my patience is running thin and frankly right now the Thar's charm has started to wear offense.
I do get similar thoughts and this is what I tell myself:

I have already spent a good 7 months waiting for the Thar. With a standard waiting period of 8 months - with the lockdown, chip shortage, et al - my vehicle cannot be too far away now. It is just a matter of time.

Moreover, you already have a drive to serve you till then. So I'd definitely hang in there.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 07:45   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Hang in there and get your Thar Capt. You've already passed 99% of your waiting time. Go and visit your dealer. Be adamant on meeting the dealer principle. Ask him for expediting the vehicle. Get after your dealer daily. If it still doesn't happen as for the Area Manager from Mahindra. He will help you out definitely. Go and get your Thar buddy!
That petrol engine is worth it!
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 09:10   #1800

Just wondering if the Thar 2020 has lock for the spare tyre fixed on the rear?
If not, did anyone come across good locks for the spare tyre?

Found the below one, not sure if this is the right size though

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...R67BWB4I2&th=1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks