Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 12:31   #1801
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Don't know if it's already shared here or not.

Pic showing waiting time of all variants of Mahindra Thar in Pondicherry.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210626_104140.jpg  

msa.30789 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 14:15   #1802
Senior - BHPian

For those who are frustrated with the wait, I see that most who have taken delivery were pushed to the edge. I for one also thought it doesn’t make sense. This feeling is amplified because Mahindra and the dealers, both are notorious in their communication to their potential customers. Looks like nothing has changed yet.

All i can say is, it’s worth the wait finally. I took my car and from what little I could drive (thanks to lockdown), I enjoy every bit. My Innova Crysta sadly has taken a huge back seat.

11 weeks since I have my Thar and in the 2500 KM’s done thus far, it’s a big smile each time.
jkrishnakj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2021, 20:03   #1803
BHPian

Just been on the Mahindra Thar website for online booking and seems like they have stopped taking bookings for HT. Only 2 options they had was AX CT in 2 colors(Red and Black) and LX CT in all options and colors.

Just FYI this was for a friend, I have booked mine in May a CT AT diesel, and my wait has already began like so many of fellow BHPians
Old 26th June 2021, 21:35   #1804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa.30789 View Post
Pic showing waiting time of all variants of Mahindra Thar in Pondicherry.
Looks like the quickest way to get a Thar is to get a convertible top Also evident is the fact that HT supply is a key bottleneck in the supply chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
seems like they have stopped taking bookings for HT
An excellent move, if this is indeed the case. Makes no sense to continue taking bookings when waiting period is running at 8-10 months!
Old 27th June 2021, 12:23   #1805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkad View Post
Just wondering if the Thar 2020 has lock for the spare tyre fixed on the rear?
If not, did anyone come across good locks for the spare tyre?

Found the below one, not sure if this is the right size though

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...R67BWB4I2&th=1
Thar spare wheel does not have any lock! !
Did anyone come across a good one ? It’s risky to keep it open !
Old 28th June 2021, 11:15   #1806
BHPian

My wife and I have cancelled her booking for the Petrol HT AT Thar. It was a fantastic vehicle on the TD we did, but the waiting period was a killer. We booked it in February with a CPD in December '21, but an unplanned event required us to have a second car immediately.

It's too bad but will have to review it again in 3-4 years. Perhaps when the 5 door version is released!

All the best to the new owners. Hope you guys are enjoying what seems to be a wonderful vehicle.
Old 28th June 2021, 16:16   #1807

After wait of 7 months, the moment of stepping behind the wheels was truly glorious! This is my third vehicle and I have not experienced the similar feeling in other cars while I took delivery.

In spite of several practical drawbacks in the vehicle, which cannot escape our attention, Honestly it brings lots of happiness for a driver like me - 4X4, True SUV feeling, Feeling of sitting on roof of other cars. Feeling live and kicking!

Initially I was confused between AT and MT. After initial driving, MT has made me feel more confident. Views from a commoner's initial driving experience -

- The Engine sounds divine
- Clutch are soft (better than XUV)
- Gear shifts were smooth, I didn't feel the clicks as per other reviews, at least not so far!
- Pick up and power is very good
- Did pressure wash thrice - No leakage from roof
- Tried off-roading a bit on rocky roads- AMAZING! Feel of doing something which my other cars cannot.. This is what we pay for..
- Drove on highway - Felt safe, NVH is pretty low and I could converse at 100 KMPH
- A/C was Super for front rows. Since throw was good, hope it will be good for second row
- Audio was good for me. I am not too particular about audio though as long doesn't sound jarring.
- Personally I loved the Aquamarine color .

Cons
- No luggage space. hope the mods lords will come up with something good as roof carrier
- Fit and Finish is not good. I could spot issues, but this was expected
- Headlights. For 16L, M&M should have considered better options
- Armrest missing
- Getting to the second row seat. but once you are there, it feels normal
- Leather seats. M&M has covered only 20%, I wonder why!
- Space for fitting the tools
- Spare wheel lock, it is a matter of 500 bucks
- Feeling of whether or not niggles will pop up

one more thing, SA don't have any clue what this vehicle is about! They just hype up too much which is nonsense and miss out key things which makes sense! M&M should insist on having trained sales guys.

After a spin, I have left the car for ceramic coating on the delivery day with a hope to retain the shine for few years! I didn't feel the need to spend much for coating considering I may take it for off-roading! So I got a contact through a friend of mine in Bangalore. He did a wonderful job and on par with big names for coating. I don't want to promote brands and want to strictly adhere to thar review. But FYI, if someone in Bangalore wants the coating for reasonable price, try talking to Sachin @ +91 9844445504. Let me attach the WIP pics

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210627-4.43.08-pm.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210627-4.43.08-pm-1.jpeg
Venkad is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 16:56   #1808
BHPian

Congratulations, If I am not wrong this is Aqua marine color, can you post some day light pics in outdoors
a4_attitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 20:44   #1809
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkad View Post
After wait of 7 months...Let me attach the WIP pics
The colour looks fantastic! Happy Motoring!!! I'm aquamarine with envy

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th June 2021 at 05:28. Reason: Quote tags fixed
NIP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 12:38   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
Congratulations, If I am not wrong this is Aqua marine color, can you post some day light pics in outdoors
Here are a few pictures of the Thar in Aquamarine color. Looks quite good in daylight, although some might find it a tad too "flashy".
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-t1.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-t2.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 29th June 2021 at 12:47.
cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 18:02   #1811
BHPian

I could see Bushranger Winch listed as an official accessory in M2all website.
Link:https://www.m2all.com/mahindra-genui...c-rwr100s.html

Does anyone here installed or enquired about this with dealer?
How are they gonna fix it without modifying the bumper?
or is the alteration by dealer/ Mahindra to fit this winch is legal?
Old 29th June 2021, 22:57   #1812

Quick Update:

Took the delivery of our Thar yesterday. Initially booked on Oct 15th (co-incidentally Team-Bhp review was also live on the same day). Variant: Diesel HT-AT, Galaxy Grey.

Initial Impressions:
It feels like nothing else currently on the market and also cannot be compared to anything available currently(in the price bucket that is). There'll be a smile plastered on your face as soon as you see the vehicle. In-fact, I'm not sure how many times I've just sat looking at our CCTV monitor just staring at the stationary vehicle in the parking lot.

The commanding view, the smooth mHawk engine and the bounciness in the ride(lol!) puts a smile on the face when one lifts the legs of the brake and steps on gas!

Used to drive a Mazda6 & LexusES 300 previously in US and a Honda City iDTEC here in India so my driving impressions would be mostly compared to the sedans (which I obviously shouldn't).

Got the rear camera(would rate it 2 out of 5 since it does the job) and mud-flaps from the dealer.

Things I'm looking to add to make the ride more practical
- Floor Mats (Should order it from AutoFurnish like fellow Bhpian ph03n!x, the ones from Mahindra are expensive and don't want any more Thar branding)
- Arm rests (like the ones that are attached to the seat itself)
- Remote Fuel Lid Opener (Any leads in and around Bangalore who has done this mod in a clean way)
- Interior grab handles (Making ingress and egress easier)
- Full Underbody Armor from Prad 4x4 (for the farm visits)

Things that are currently in the periphery but not a priority at the moment:
- 7 slat grill (well..)
- Ceramic Coating/PPF (Phew! Detailing costs an arm and a leg and little did I know that PPF costs are so damn high)
- Headlight and fog lamp upgrades (Any suggestions here?)

Cheers!
phkr19 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 03:13   #1813
BHPian

Test drive no.3:

Preface:

I had a test drive of the all new thar diesel manual way back in October, booked the diesel auto HT and headed out to sea.

After days of contemplation, I had swapped my booking to petrol auto HT by the end of October.

After my tour of duty was done, I got back home by March 2021.
Was able to extensively test drive the petrol auto during late March which included a bit of mild off roading. Was thoroughly satisfied with the vehicle.

Sadly the cpd date kept getting pushed further and further.
As I was perennially frustrated with the CPD push backs I had requested for another test drive sometime during this week as the showrooms were functioning since Monday post lockdown.

Long story short, the thar is still "fun fun fun" and is as practical as a blind sailor.
Had my brother in law (was also my senior in school back in ooty) drive the car who has always been critical *read voice of reason* of my decision towards buying a raw, crude uncut mahindra instead of a more practical higher segment vehicle.

This was his first encounter with the thar and he was floored with the looks, the responsive engine and the high seating.
Not so much about the lack of some basic creature comforts, storage space, fit and finish which was kinda expected.
He found the glove box funny and the lack of dead pedal to be a practical joke.

But during this 45min drive, I could see him thoroughly enjoying the thar and to top it off was quite inquisitive about various ways to get the vehicle home as soon as possible.

To be honest, I have been seeking reasons to cancel the thar incase the present cpd is not honored which stands as 11 July 2021 for a booking made in October.

Eventhough there are umpteen reasons to axe the plan, I still find the thar an absolute brute packed with loads of fun.

I quickly got on the phone with fellow tbhpian and thar extraordinaire ph03n!x and discussed about further pressuring the showroom to honor the present delivery date.

Looking forward to the delivery I suppose!

Fyg, the avg FE achieved in the petrol AT during the test drive today was 8.8kmpl over moderate traffic with patches of clear roads.

Brgds,
Capt.Arun

Last edited by Capt.Arun : 30th June 2021 at 03:18. Reason: typo error
Capt.Arun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 09:28   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Captain for this post. Frankly, after waiting for 8 months I too am (was?) looking for reasons to cancel. But this new Thar is something else. Just a few more days/weeks is what I tell myself.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 10:48   #1815
BHPian

Electric footstep for Thar. Found this particular accessory quite interesting. Related link below-

Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks