Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2021, 12:58   #1816
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
After days of contemplation, I had swapped my booking to petrol auto HT by the end of October.
That is a great decision, Capt.! The mStallion engine is miles ahead of the mHawk in terms of refinement and power. I test drove both of these back to back, and found the diesel mill - which is indeed quite refined compared to earlier Mahindra diesels - to be no match for the petrol unit. If one's running is low, the petrol is a no brainer. The fact that you avoid the whole DPF/AdBlue mess is an added bonus!

I had booked a petrol myself back in April but the dilly-dally around the CPD and dealer's callous attitude lead me to cancel my booking for now. Will book again sometime next year, once the whole booking/delivery process gets saner.

All the best for a speedy delivery of your Thar!

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th June 2021 at 13:01.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 17:43   #1817
Distinguished - BHPian

I was having a look-see under the Thar on the lift, this thing is made very well underneath. The Chassis is quite massive for something of its size, There is the radiator and DEF tank that needs protection but otherwise things look pretty impressive underneath. You can surely throw this around , jump, do whatever and still fly home through the highways.

I doubt if M&M is making much money out of it at all or as much as they could.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 07:45   #1818
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I was having a look-see under the Thar on the lift, this thing is made very well underneath. The Chassis is quite massive for something of its size
The chasis will be shared with the next generation Scorpio, so I guess they had to make it strong enough for a full size seven seater SUV. The Thar has a shorted version of the chasis.

Quote:
I doubt if M&M is making much money out of it at all or as much as they could.
I sincerely doubt the 2020 Thar is a charitable venture by Mahindra. They are surely making good margins like they made on the previous gen Thar CRDe also.
4x4addict is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 21:49   #1819
BHPian

Does the rear Tyre have a sensor too?
I don't think so.
But this popped up on my Thar.Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210702_211804.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210702_210250.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210702_211833.jpg
darkpython9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 22:54   #1820
Senior - BHPian

So guys a small update on the BF Goodrich tires. A friend was after me to try 28 PSI or less in the tires. I was a bit apprehensive but then gave in and reduced the pressure from 31 to 28. And what a world of a difference it made! The Jeep now glides over stuff!! And I went a bit further to 26 PSI. This thing is meant to be driven on BFGs at 26 PSI. All the movement etc. Is reduced to negligible. Super super happy with the result and my choice.
Some parting shots of the BFGs.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210701_151942.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210701_151931.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210701_151912.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210701_143724.jpg  

navpreet318 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 23:13   #1821
BHPian

I booked my Thar on 1st May 2021. Diesel Auto.

I'm an NRI and living in UAE. My usage will be very less. 1 month maximum per year and mileage also will be less. So was thinking of changing my booking from diesel to petrol.

What you guys advice?. Shall I stick to diesel or change to petrol auto.
Old 2nd July 2021, 23:48   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
So guys a small update on the BF Goodrich tires. A friend was after me to try 28 PSI or less in the tires. I was a bit apprehensive but then gave in and reduced the pressure from 31 to 28. And what a world of a difference it made! The Jeep now glides over stuff!! And I went a bit further to 26 PSI. This thing is meant to be driven on BFGs at 26 PSI. All the movement etc. Is reduced to negligible. Super super happy with the result and my choice.
26-28 is the sweet spot for these... Best offroading tyres period. How much did you pay for them?
Old 3rd July 2021, 07:04   #1823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
Does the rear Tyre have a sensor too?
I don't think so.
But this popped up on my Thar.]
I had the exact same query and wanted to check here and lo, I see your message.

I have the Tyre pressure low warning sign pop up on the screen. I went to the Instrument cluster and when I saw in TPMS, all 4 seemed ok and that’s where I noticed the spare one being off.

I’ll pump in the spare today and see is the warming light goes off.
Old 3rd July 2021, 07:36   #1824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Stick to an inflation pressure closer to OE recommended 1-2 PSi here and there is okay.

Running an under inflated tyre is dangerous, an emergency lane change at high speed is going to be... I think you got the picture. This vehicle is seriously fast for a Jeep, don't mess with its balance.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 08:58   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Stick to an inflation pressure closer to OE recommended 1-2 PSi here and there is okay.

Running an under inflated tyre is dangerous, an emergency lane change at high speed is going to be... I think you got the picture. This vehicle is seriously fast for a Jeep, don't mess with its balance.
Running a car always on low pressure will also lead to extra strain on engine, thus by affecting its life on the long run. Please do not attempt this unless you don't care about the vehicle performance over a longer period.
Old 3rd July 2021, 09:01   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes. Being in this field for now decades, I can say that I understand the mechanics.
But there is a reason why these BFGs can be taken to such levels. Some are running even lower.
These have a 8 ply rating sidewall and are load bearing LT tires. The stock are 2 ply rating. So you can imagine how the stock sidewalls would fare.

I took the vehicle for some spirited driving on a banked road with severe undulations to check its limits. Happy to report that even pushing it with sanity intact I wasn't able to reach the limits. So it's good to go.
navpreet318 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 15:46   #1827

It’s been less than a week since the delivery of our Thar, haven’t had much chances of taking the vehicle out for a spin besides the usual grocery runs.

Took the vehicle out for a quick run around the city (30kms), once back and parked observed that the floor of the driver side foot well was hot. Vehicle is a LX Diesel AT HT.
I still haven’t gotten the floor mats installed, is this heat expected?
Old 3rd July 2021, 15:49   #1828
BHPian

Saw this heavily modified THAR in our building recently. It's got a full interior and exterior mod, no idea how much then owner spent but clearly looks like a lot! The entire body kit is custom built.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20210703-15.47.14.jpeg  

Old 3rd July 2021, 16:15   #1829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
Saw this heavily modified THAR in our building recently. It's got a full interior and exterior mod, no idea how much then owner spent but clearly looks like a lot! The entire body kit is custom built.
That looks like a previous generation Thar, not the new one. And surely is DC design's undoing.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 3rd July 2021 at 16:16.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 16:28   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrvSafe View Post
I'm an NRI and living in UAE. My usage will be very less. 1 month maximum per year and mileage also will be less. So was thinking of changing my booking from diesel to petrol.
I would strongly suggest switching over to petrol. Having test-driven both engines, the petrol is a no-brainer for a low-running Thar - refinement and power are multiple notches above the diesel.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed