Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2021, 11:05   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
When I take it out of my parking in the morning, the tires squeak loudly and feel as it they're skipping and sliding.
From the looks of it, not only are the front hubs locked but also the transfer case is engaged, i.e. the jeep is running in 4H setup. Essentially, the whole of front drivetrain is engaged. Had it been only the hubs that were locked, the steering would have been a tad heavier (which you would not have felt anyways, since it is a power steering setup) and the jeep would be running a teeny bit sluggish. However, given that front tires are slipping, the front axle is locked, implying that front drive shaft is mated to the transfer case.

All the best for a speedy resolution. Do keep us posted on how this goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Is Petrol AT better or Diesel AT? I drive only 1-2 times per week for 100 kms so is manual better or AT?
With this level of running, petrol all the way!

Quote:
I dont offroad and only need this for looks. So to go for Hard top or soft top?
Practicality vs. fun - a very personal choice.

Quote:
Which color? Black/Red/ Aquamarine? From perspective of scratches.
Of all the available colors, Galaxy Grey would be most forgiving when it comes to scratches being visible.

Quote:
Dealer is saying can deliver Petrol AT within 5 months. Is he telling truth?
If it is a hard top, then he is bluffing. The variant with least waiting period (6-7 months) is petrol AT convertible top. All hard top variants have a minimum waiting period of 9-10 months, extending up to a year for diesel AT.

Last edited by cool_dube : 21st July 2021 at 11:07.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:06   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_shyam View Post
Looking good! Please share where you got them.
The Grill looks really good, the paint matching is in point. I have seen many videos wherein the paint quality on the aftermarket grill seemed below par. Request if you can share the details from where you bought it and installed it.
I was fortunate enough to find a unused Hella 470 in Olx. The seller posted it just two days back of the deal. When I enquired, he has bought it from a Hella distributor in Chennai to install in his Jeep Compass. As he has sold his compass, he wanted to sell the light bar too.

The Grill is from Azad4X4. Material and Paint Quality is just average.
Installed from a local garage near my home. Any good mechanic can do the job.
MithunSathianat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 21:14   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well. Seems as luck would have it there is an issue with my Thar........
So I went to the Mahindra Workshop today.
Gave my inputs as to what problems I'm feeling.
Asked them to fund out the cause.
First thing they wanted to do was change the wheels and tires to stock.
I had got a new set of 18 inch wheels as well.
I was a bit apprehensive but anyways let them do their bit and swap the tires and wheels with a new Thar.
And voila problem gone.

Was initially shocked but then this meant only one thing. Something was wrong with the new tires and wheels.
Turns out the new wheels were interfering with the front brake caliper. And the caliper had infact made a groove in the wheels itself.
Got the wheels installed again and saw that there were metal shavings dropping from the front wheels. Drove it a bit more and the groove was complete and the wheels were freely moving now.

Coming to the 4x4 system. They were a bit doubtful that the motor which moves the front hubs might have been locked and got unlocked when the car was moved up and down on the lift multiple times.
I had a word with the engineer and he suggested that this should not be used as a shift on the fly system. Infact vehicle should ideally be in "N" and stationary and moved just a bit after getting into 4h if there is a whining noise of the hubs not locking.
This is concurrent with the manual as well.

So the shift to 4H with the vehicle in D might have caused the hubs to get stuck.

We tried the 4wd system multiple times after this is the correct manner and it worked like a charm.

So had a big relief that there is no problem with the car as such and it has been reliable. Problems was caused by me.

Had a word with the wheel dealer and we're working on a solution. Will keep you guys updated whatever solution we end up finding.
navpreet318 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 01:34   #1924

Hi Everyone

Calling out to tyre experts here.

I plan to upgrade my stock tyres to one of the following options:
1) BFG K02 285/60/R18
2) MAXXIS AT 980- 285/75/R16
3) MAXXIS At 980- 285/65/R18

My questions are as follows:
1) Which one would you suggest for best on road handling(90%) and off-road(10%) scenario and why?
2) Which size is ideal? And what changes am I going to face compared to stock?

I have been struggling in the monsoon in slush conditions in Coorg and other farms and not getting much traction with my stock tyres. Even in 4H and 4L. Hence I want to upgrade my tires

Look forward to your inputs thanks!
Old 22nd July 2021, 07:28   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charminator444 View Post
Hi Everyone

Calling out to tyre experts here.

I plan to upgrade my stock tyres to one of the following options:
1) BFG K02 285/60/R18
2) MAXXIS AT 980- 285/75/R16
3) MAXXIS At 980- 285/65/R18

My questions are as follows:
1) Which one would you suggest for best on road handling(90%) and off-road(10%) scenario and why?
2) Which size is ideal? And what changes am I going to face compared to stock?

I have been struggling in the monsoon in slush conditions in Coorg and other farms and not getting much traction with my stock tyres. Even in 4H and 4L. Hence I want to upgrade my tires

Look forward to your inputs thanks!

Please refer to the immediate post above yours (that is post# 1924 from Navpreet) and his previous posts on this thread on tire upgrades to 265/60/R18s - you will get a fair idea on the dos and dont's.
Slipstream11 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 07:48   #1926
BHPian

So I’m supposed to take the delivery of my Thar today, maximum by tomorrow. I booked it late in the month of February and mine is a Soft Top Convertible AT.

I did not pull any strings, I did not chase up frantically, nothing of the sort really. I did however, play a bit smart and I do think it made all the difference in the world. Anyone looking for a tip can PM me.

I can’t believe that after waiting for 5 months, I’m feeling that I didn’t really have to wait that long. But such is the world that we live in.
Ravi_chd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:00   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) BFG K02 285/60/R18
Where are you getting these tires if i may ask? Please be careful about the date of manufacturing.

Otherwise BFG is the be all, end all of AT tires. Some love it, some hate it, but no one can contest its capabilities.
Old 22nd July 2021, 13:35   #1928
BHPian

Is it me not up to the date but the on-road prices of Thar have increased for the second time and just saw the Automatic Petrol and Diesel, they are both expensive by 1 lakh.
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:23   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turns out the new wheels were interfering with the front brake caliper. And the caliper had infact made a groove in the wheels itself.
Lesson learned - stick to OE configuration as far as possible Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Quote:
Calling out to tyre experts here
You could not be luckier to come across an example of fiddling with OE configuration, as recent as the above ^. Whatever tire you choose (your use case calls for a mud-terrain, BTW), please stick to OE size/config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_chd View Post
I booked it late in the month of February and mine is a Soft Top Convertible AT.
Congratulations! However, normal waiting period for CT was in the range of 5-6 months earlier this year, and did not require pulling any strings as such. It now stands at 6-7 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Is it me not up to the date but the on-road prices of Thar have increased for the second time and just saw the Automatic Petrol and Diesel, they are both expensive by 1 lakh.
Yes - please refer to this (Mahindra Thar : Official Review) post on the same thread.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:30   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Lesson learned - stick to OE configuration as far as possible Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Lesson Learned- Its a Jeep Thing

So the Underbody and the Front Bumper have arrived as well as the original ABS front grill which mahindra had planned to launch in the Thar. ABS and not FRP.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 22nd July 2021 at 16:31.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 16:58   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lesson Learned- Its a Jeep Thing

So the Underbody and the Front Bumper have arrived as well as the original ABS front grill which mahindra had planned to launch in the Thar. ABS and not FRP.
Please do share pictures of the accessories. Also the alloys.
Old 22nd July 2021, 20:40   #1932

Got a call today from my Mahindra SA asking me if i wanted to cancel my booking or wanted to continue waiting. According to him, quite a lot of people have cancelled their bookings and that specific showroom is calling everyone who is in the queue to confirm the same. I guess people have ran out if patience when it comes to Thar.
Old 22nd July 2021, 20:59   #1933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvinator View Post
Got a call today from my Mahindra SA .
was it Trob (DeeEmm) or Koncept. It's six of one and half a dozen of the other with both of them.

Also they are checking because its possible to have it "delivered" faster!! Bookings are moved around, Delivery Orders are changed, I've seen it happen personally in one these places, of course with the consent of the original booking party

Quite apart Mahindra really needs to shake its dealers up. They start at bad and go to atrocious.
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:19   #1934
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*I did however, play a bit smart and I do think it made all the difference in the world. Anyone looking for a tip can PM me. *SNIP*
PMed you, thanks

Cheers
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:28   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did not pull any strings, I did not chase up frantically, nothing of the sort really. I did however, play a bit smart and I do think it made all the difference in the world. Anyone looking for a tip can PM me.
I think it will be really helpful for us fellow enthusiasts if you could share the tip in the thread. We believe in helping out each other including readers who cannot PM you.
Pancham is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks