Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 20:18   #1981
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

It would be nice to see the new Thar pitted against the Duster in an off road contest.
In fact a few of the compacts SUVs and a big 'un or two could be thrown in for relevance.
Old 1st August 2021, 22:17   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matizcrazy View Post
It would be nice to see the new Thar pitted against the Duster in an off road contest.
In fact a few of the compacts SUVs and a big 'un or two could be thrown in for relevance.
That wouldn't be a fair comparison, except for the big 'uns that come with 4L - even then, the longer wheelbase of, say, an Endeavour or Fortuner implies the shorter wheelbase Thar has an edge

Duster maybe able to do 70% of what the Thar does. But AWD ≠ 4WD, that the Thar is. I'm talking about all of 'em in stock form, and in actual 4x4 terrain. For day to day use, the Duster AWD is a very capable car though.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 1st August 2021 at 22:19.
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:35   #1983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I actually found the lower gear selection to be a bit irritating when going downhill, as RPMs tend to be higher and the car noisier overall. While coasting down with your foot completely off the accelerator pedal, one wants to enjoy a smooth relaxing downhill cruise.
Grade shifting, The logic in AT gearboxes would be to use nearly the same gear down hill as used while climbing up-hill - else the brakes would over heat. Some of them would need you to tap the brakes once to know that you want to maintain slower speed, others would detect the slope and do what is necessary. Earlier AT gearboxes used to give you 1-2-3 or L mode for driving in the hills, nowadays it can detect where its heading and downshift as necessary.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:23   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
*SNIP*

Wind buffeting is high post 100kmph and you need to bump up the volume to enjoy the music. *SNIP*
Even in a hard-top? I thought this was an issue only with the soft-tops!

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:55   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Even in a hard-top? I thought this was an issue only with the soft-tops!

Cheers
Sorry my bad, I meant to write "noise" and not buffeting but lost the edit window.

It is increased noise due to the wind at those speeds which creates a loud zone inside.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:27   #1986
BHPian

Took my Thar for a 3 hour off-road drive during the weekend. This is the second time I did off-roading. So I chose one of the toughest terrain.
I was surprised to see it defeating most of the obstacles.

I felt in one situation, it was difficult to come out - when both the diagonal tires loose the traction. I felt Break Lock Differential (BLD) was unable to channelize power to other two diagonal tires.

Adding few pics and videos (I am not good at editing, uploaded as captured in mobile) here.

When the diagonal tires got stuck at one instance:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1627897085911.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1627898164590.jpg  

MithunSathianat is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:44   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Took my Thar for a 3 hour off-road drive during the weekend
Awesome! That is some serious terrain that you are putting the Thar through It seems to be in its element!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I felt Break Lock Differential (BLD) was unable to channelize power to other two diagonal tires.
BLD in Thar works only for front axle. However, it should have braked the FL wheel when it started to spin freely, consequently powering the FR wheel. Similarly, the MLD should have kicked in for the rear axle when RR wheel lost traction. Interesting to note that neither kicked in.

Experts - please comment.

Edit: this kind of terrain warrants lockable rear diff. Wish the Thar had one.

Last edited by cool_dube : 2nd August 2021 at 19:46.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 00:09   #1988
Senior - BHPian

There is a difference in rotation speeds of the wheels at which the MLD and the BLD kick in. By the video that difference was definitely not met.
There are numerous videos showing how and when the MLD and BLD kick in. Please do have a look. BHPian and new Thar owner Anshuman has a few videos in which it is clearly depicted.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:14   #1989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
There is a difference in rotation speeds of the wheels at which the MLD and the BLD kick in. By the video that difference was definitely not met
So, you're suggesting that the driver should've revved harder for the rotation speed to be substantial enough for BLD/MLD to kick in? Possible! Theoretically, that might seem to be the solution but isn't it a tad tricky to rev that hard on a terrain like the one in discussion? The vehicle would lurch ahead as soon as one of the diffs lock, quite possibly causing serious underbody hits. Or maybe it won't in 4L. Worth a shot.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:24   #1990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
*SNIP*

Edit: this kind of terrain warrants lockable rear diff. Wish the Thar had one.
Thar does "have" two "locking" diffs - the BLD in the front and the MLD in the back. BLD is electronic and MLD is mechanical, but neither of them is manually selectable - which is what you would have preferred, if I understood your meaning correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
There is a difference in rotation speeds of the wheels at which the MLD and the BLD kick in. By the video that difference was definitely not met.
*SNIP*
Quote:
So, you're suggesting that the driver should've revved harder for the rotation speed to be substantial enough for BLD/MLD to kick in? *SNIP*
I am not at all an expert; but if memory serves, I believe the difference in revs is as low as 100 for the locks to kick in - someone please correct me if I am mistaken. In the attached video it did not seem to a layman's eye that there was such a difference.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:52   #1991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but neither of them is manually selectable - which is what you would have preferred, if I understood your meaning correctly.
Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks for correcting

A manually lockable diff is a boon in such situations. Just engage it, along with 4L, and crawl out of a sticky situation like the one shown in the video.

Quote:
I am not at all an expert; but if memory serves, I believe the difference in revs is as low as 100 for the locks to kick in
I too, vaguely remember it as a difference of 100. Looking at the video again, I could see that the rpm of the spinning wheel was not too high, possibly not high enough to lock the rear diff or activate the BLD on front axle.
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:55   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle would lurch ahead as soon as one of the diffs lock, quite possibly causing serious underbody hits.
This would have surely happened and I was very much concerned about hitting the underbody.
The radiator protector was hit couple of times. Luckily the impact was not so hard to break it. I am planning to get an aluminum underbody protection asap.

But there were few other instances where I could rev little more harder but the result was same. Had to step out and arrange some traction to either one of the rotating tires.

You are very true that Mahindra should have provided lockable differential too!
MithunSathianat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:32   #1993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
A question to Thar owners, especially the taller ones. I’m somewhere between 6’2 and 6’3. If there’s one thing I hate about the Thar, other than the suspension, are the seats.
I am 6'2"and agree with you on the seats being not go great for the lower back. I think it is a fallout of the upright seating that comes in with the default position of the driver seat and a good part of the range of adjustments possible do leave the seat still quite upright. After encountering this issue on couple of long trips, I tried as much of a "laid back" seating position as possible on my most recent trip.

Push the seats back to almost their rear-most setting, lower the seats as far as they go and recline your back as far as you feel comfortable. Then increase height and fore-aft position to make sure the reach of pedals and steering wheel is OK as well as visibility. Then use a fair bit of lumbar support. It is a pity the steering wheel is not reach- adjustable, so you are limited on how far back you can take this posture. On the other hand, the seating on the Thar is quite high, which makes up for the visibility loss quite a bit.

With this seating posture, I found it to be much more comfortable on my recent 8 hour drive. Also change the seat position occasionally, with a minor bit for fore and aft movement of the seat or raising/lowering seat in a small way with the seat height adjuster, or meddle with the recline adjustment. After these steps, I was pretty comfortable, though not as good as doing the trip in a sedan, which was much less painful due to the sofa style seating that affords.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd August 2021 at 11:36.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:43   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, you're suggesting that the driver should've revved harder for the rotation speed to be substantial enough for BLD/MLD to kick in? Possible! Theoretically, that might seem to be the solution but isn't it a tad tricky to rev that hard on a terrain like the one in discussion? The vehicle would lurch ahead as soon as one of the diffs lock, quite possibly causing serious underbody hits. Or maybe it won't in 4L. Worth a shot.
Yes, Please check the videos by Anshuman on youtube. Just search Anshuman Bishnoi on it. His videos depict it quite clearly.
The jerk etc. shouldn't be very high to damage the vehicle. Offroading is an art to be learnt. It is not like Jeremy Clarkson says- Speed and Power!!!

I have seen a few videos where on similar obstacle with similar intervention of BLD and MLD, some cleared it without any issues smoothly by controlling the resultant jerk whereas some who delayed controlling the jerk made the vehicle angle precariously. So all in all with all these aids the driver is still the weakest link.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 22:26   #1995

Thar Arrives Finally.

After a long and arduous wait of almost 9 months, my Thar LX Diesel Hardtop Manual has arrived at the dealership in Lucknow.What worked for me was my constant mails to the Mahindra customer care alerting them of the highly annoying approach of the delivery agents where I had booked the car. That is a story for another day. Will leave for Lucknow in a day or two to take possession of my Chariot and will surely write my experience down here.
WemaKadphises is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks