Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2021, 00:09   #2056
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Couple of more snaps of the Thar 2021 Petrol on the Independence Day. Added the spacers and new headlights, spacers are custom made of HN-8 material and there's zero vibrations whatsoever but the headlights are shooting the beam really high even at lowest adjustment, and the mileage of 4-5 in the city is still being a nightmare even tough its more refiner than some higher end cars
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-238360233_4442487845803896_1821721580315714390_n.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-236804720_4443207215731959_2241239050980294499_n.jpg
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 11:11   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Couple of more snaps of the Thar 2021 Petrol on the Independence Day. Added the spacers and new headlights, spacers are custom made of HN-8 material and there's zero vibrations whatsoever but the headlights are shooting the beam really high even at lowest adjustment, and the mileage of 4-5 in the city is still being a nightmare even tough its more refiner than some higher end cars
Attachment 2194140

Attachment 2194141
The headlights look great..! Any reason for choosing this particular style of aftermarket headlights? I've seen quite a few options, curious to hear the owner's perspective on what's the best option available.

Thanks.
Cavityavenger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 11:50   #2058

Booked my Hardtop Thar on 24 Jan this year, got a call from my SA today stating that I should be getting it on 8th November. Hope it’s not delayed any further. Do you guys know if Mahindra has delivered all the October/November orders of last year?
Old 17th August 2021, 14:54   #2059

I booked Thar on 30th Nov last year (diesel, hardtop, automatic, black colour). Thar is expected to be delivered by the end of this month.
Old 17th August 2021, 16:50   #2060
BHPian

In previous gen thar, people were able to convert auto locking hubs to manual ones. I am being noob here but I think advantage in doing so, is utilising low gear ratios without engaging frontwheels. Engaging 4L and keeping front hubs open, one can use 4L on tarmac. Is there any way we can do this is newer thar? Or it's just my imagination and was never possible in old thar.

Last edited by ganeshk4 : 17th August 2021 at 17:17. Reason: correct alignment
Old 17th August 2021, 17:17   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshk4 View Post
In previous gen thar, people were able to convert auto locking hubs to manual ones. I am being noob here but I think advantage in doing so, is utilising low gear ratios
without engaging frontwheels. Engaging 4L and keeping front hubs open, one can use 4L on tarmac. Is there any way we can do this is newer thar? Or it's just my imagination and was never possible in old thar.
You got it wrong. People opted to manual locking hubs as auto hubs perform erratically. Also to move to 4L, you need to engage 4WD.
If you really need such low gearing for probably load pulling on tarmac, you better use 4wd for better traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
The headlights look great..! Any reason for choosing this particular style of aftermarket headlights? I've seen quite a few options, curious to hear the owner's perspective on what's the best option available.

Thanks.
These lights are pathetic in rain and fog, better stick to stock ones.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th August 2021 at 19:25. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 17:31   #2062
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Just a small update.

Bumper and Underbody installed. Like this stubby look.
Bumper is very very solid and sturdy. There is a winch plate and frame behind the outer shell and it is connected with very strong bolts. Very Thick guage plate is used.
The underbody is aluminum, light and sturdy!
That stance is amazing!

I don't know why but this also reminds me of the first gen Scorpio which used to suffer from this infamous visibility issue when going through water. Due to the shape of the bumper all the displaced water landed up on the windshield making the driver blind for a good couple of seconds. It caught me off guard once and never have I ever powered my way through even partial puddles

Have you noticed anything similar with this setup? If not, maybe keep this in the back of your mind to test sometime in the future!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 20:55   #2063
Senior - BHPian

I am absolutely in 2 minds with what to do ?

I so want to buy a Thar Diesel AT HT, however the thought of letting the Duster 4WD go doesn't seem to go down well with me. It's just 2 years old and 14500 kms on the odo in perfect scratch less condition and a fantastic GT car for the highways.

The only reasons I want a Thar is because I always wanted one, and now the AT makes the deal sweeter. After I bought the Rapid AT, I am all for AT and hesitate to take out the Duster because it's a manual. So for every 7 times I take the Rapid, the Duster is used 3 times. Buying an AT Thar, would make it 50:50. It's just me and my wife, so space isn't a concern or criteria.

However the other issue is, the Thar wont be as fun to drive on the highways as the Duster, ride and handling will be at the opposite ends. Also the places any places we travel to for vacation will never warrant a 4L and the Duster's 4WD Lock is more than enough.

Dilemma dilemma !!
Old 18th August 2021, 15:33   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post

These lights are pathetic in rain and fog, better stick to stock ones.
Respectfully disagree. Stock halogen bulbs are the lowest on the totem pole when it comes to headlight technology and visibility. Thar stock halogens are under par at best.

For someone doing a lot of night driving, off-roading, upgrading the headlights to LED or projector is an absolute must.
Old 18th August 2021, 15:37   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That stance is amazing!

....................... maybe keep this in the back of your mind to test sometime in the future!
Haven't thought of it but will keep in mind. I have actually crossed the age of blasting through puddles of water frankly. Whenever I see a large puddle i slow down enough to firstly not cause discomfort to other motorists and secondly damage my own vehicle and thirdly to be wary of unknown horrors under that puddle(who knows if there is a sinkhole like the singapore and london like roads of Delhi :P ).
Old 18th August 2021, 16:00   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
Respectfully disagree. Stock halogen bulbs are the lowest on the totem pole when it comes to headlight technology and visibility. Thar stock halogens are under par at best.

For someone doing a lot of night driving, off-roading, upgrading the headlights to LED or projector is an absolute must.
My feedback was on light fitted on that Thar, used same hence first hand feedback.
Regarding your second comment on night driving and off-roading, I agree. but knocked off/low cost LEDs are useless. For your refence I am into hardcore offroading since last 15 years and probably 5 lacs kms on highway. Nothing beats 100 W bulb with relay and Hella 3003 combination.
These LEDs are pain in rains and HIGHLY disturbing for oncoming traffic.
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 16:10   #2067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post

However the other issue is, the Thar wont be as fun to drive on the highways as the Duster, ride and handling will be at the opposite ends. Also the places any places we travel to for vacation will never warrant a 4L and the Duster's 4WD Lock is more than enough.

Dilemma dilemma !!
Fun is a relative term, Hope you had taken the new Thar on the highway for a blast, else do it and then let us know. Certainly its not as practical as a 4 door Duster, but Fun? That is for you to tell us.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 16:17   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
................Nothing beats 100 W bulb with relay and Hella 3003 combination.
These LEDs are pain in rains and HIGHLY disturbing for oncoming traffic.
100% agreed! Though Im still looking for that elusive Lucas TVS 7 inch glass housing to plonk in 140W phillips made in Holland bulbs and make Behram Sir Smile even wider from up there!
Any idea where I can source an original one?
Old 18th August 2021, 16:29   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Fun is a relative term, Hope you had taken the new Thar on the highway for a blast, else do it and then let us know. Certainly its not as practical as a 4 door Duster, but Fun? That is for you to tell us.
Thar 2020/21 are bad highway vehicles. Now, given a chance, i will sell my new Thar, keep duster AWD for touring and buy a preowned Gen-2 thar to beat around during weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
100% agreed! Though Im still looking for that elusive Lucas TVS 7 inch glass housing to plonk in 140W phillips made in Holland bulbs and make Behram Sir Smile even wider from up there!
Any idea where I can source an original one?
Yes, Can not forget how he physically helped me setup above in my Jeep and it was awesome.
Difficult to get Made in Holland bulb, try in Kashmiri gate (Delhi), sometimes you get lucky there.
Old 18th August 2021, 18:57   #2070
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I have taken the plunge and booked a Black Thar M/T Convertible Top last week and now the long wait continues.

Also I am in a dilemma whether to shift my booking to A/T as I am going to take it off-road maybe once in a quarter, rest of the times will be used in the city or short getaways.

Guys having A/T Thar's can you kindly throw some light on how the shift quality is and whether it makes sense to shift the booking? I have not been able to take a tet drive of the Diesel Thar A/T.

Thanks in advance.
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks