Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 13:45   #2116
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Are fellow Thar owners using any lock/chain for the spare tyre? With the tyre thefts increasing in NCR, wondering if it makes sense to go ahead with this
Old 27th August 2021, 15:35   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Are fellow Thar owners using any lock/chain for the spare tyre? With the tyre thefts increasing in NCR, wondering if it makes sense to go ahead with this
I just spoke to someone in Bimbra, he said they've launched some lock for spare tyre.. Please do checkup with them once!
aamishdhingra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 10:34   #2118
Senior - BHPian

I do owe an update to this group here, on my Thar.

142 days of ownership, 5600 KM's, 5 highway runs of approx 3750 km's, three off-roading drives, way into rivers and rocks and no roads - this is what I could do with my Diesel, AT, HT, black beast. After all this, you can't hear a single rattle, I never had issues with the Infotainment nor did I ever worry about the DPF. It was pure bliss and joy, and the family used to enjoy and we almost always found an excuse to go out because of the Thar.

My Thar is now SOLD. Hopefully, the new buyer will pamper it as much as I did and give him more joy that what my family derived. I managed an almost no profit no loss deal.

Now, the reason for sale is very bizarre. If only I had place for a third car, this would never have gone off my parking. The urge for a luxury car has been nagging me since April 2020 and the Camry and Lexus and CLA test drives were all done back then, before the first lock down hit and then came the Thar launch announcement, which I booked. The itch for the luxury probably never went away. The choice of giving away one of the cars meant that the Innova 2.8 AT stays (for practical reasons) and sadly, the Thar had to make way.

That said, I know for a fact that I have unfinished business and I surely will own the Thar again sometime in the near future.

Till then, I shall continue following this thread and wish all the owners and the ones who are waiting, a super joyful ownership. Trust me, no other car will give you a smile as big as the one when you are inside a Thar.
jkrishnakj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 18:15   #2119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamishdhingra View Post
I just spoke to someone in Bimbra, he said they've launched some lock for spare tyre.. Please do checkup with them once!
Thanks. For now, I have purchased a cycle chain from Amazon and it works well. There are no rattles and gives some peace of mind while leaving the car unattended.
Old 29th August 2021, 19:21   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
You could look at locking wheel nuts, like the ones that come on the Ecosport from factory.

Take a look at the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e0bde6a094674c7a8f1b0ded3af58768.jpeg  

Mr.U is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 11:37   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
To be able to use any Active Traction control system you will have to hold the throttle steady and smooth and let the power flow so that the system can divert it. For the rear autolocking differential as well, requires some free wheelspin before it can engage. Both these systems are reactive(unlike selectable lockers), and require some wheelspin to engage.

In the same situation, I would use 4 Low, 1st gear, steady throttle(30-50% maybe) with gentle variations, drop tyre pressures a bit..

The BLD TCS + MLD Autolocker system combination on new Thar is surprisingly well tuned, work well with minimal driver intervention(just use right gear + hold throttle). Only downside is MLD wears down over time and stops working.
Got a chance on weekend to test if MLD + BLD is working
Works flawlessly.
Not sure if it can be recognized from the video as it was shot from a distance.
MLD kicks in at .03s of video

MithunSathianat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 14:21   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

My Thar is now SOLD. Hopefully, the new buyer will pamper it as much as I did and give him more joy that what my family derived. I managed an almost no profit no loss deal.
Great to see you got such a nice deal. I am wondering if the Euphoria around the Thar is declining now.
  • Heard from my SA that the booking period in reality is coming down. They are giving deliveries now to people who even booked in Jun 21. The official stance is still 8-10 months waiting
  • Non-hardcore enthusiasts have started looking elsewhere including the in-house XUV7OO
Old 30th August 2021, 14:30   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great to see you got such a nice deal. I am wondering if the Euphoria around the Thar is declining now.
  • Heard from my SA that the booking period in reality is coming down. They are giving deliveries now to people who even booked in Jun 21. The official stance is still 8-10 months waiting
  • Non-hardcore enthusiasts have started looking elsewhere including the in-house XUV7OO
I don’t think the statement about the booking period is true. Yes, the euphoria has come down. But November bookings are yet to be met. I heard they are receiving only 3-4 booking a month per dealership depending on the city.

Last edited by Pancham : 30th August 2021 at 14:43.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 15:06   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I don’t think the statement about the booking period is true. Yes, the euphoria has come down. But November bookings are yet to be met. I heard they are receiving only 3-4 booking a month per dealership depending on the city.
This is the part which I can't digest.

I clearly checked with SA that only Mahindra has made the car allocation to the person who booked in Jun. Even I got the delivery 10 days back even though my booking was made in end-Apr. And I had made 0 follow-ups and was in no hurry.

It seems like it's a variant challenge. By any chance are these November bookings from last year for Diesel?
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 15:23   #2125
BHPian

Quote:

I clearly checked with SA that only Mahindra has made the car allocation to the person who booked in Jun. Even I got the delivery 10 days back even though my booking was made in end-Apr. And I had made 0 follow-ups and was in no hurry.

It seems like it's a variant challenge. By any chance are these November bookings from last year for Diesel?
I booked a Thar on 30th July, 2021 after a few hiccups. Then I got a offer of delivery of my specific variant, i.e LX Diesel AT HT on 20th of August, 2021.
Don't know how they allot or manage the bookings but as per the sales rep, Automatic booking is less in my area cause its the costliest of them all.
Although I missed the opportunity to get the Thar super early
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 15:32   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes. Mine is diesel. And I am given to understand that Diesel AT is the worst hit. There are no diesels being dispatched. At least in Kolkata. I booked my diesel AT in November. And I have been regularly following up with the dealer since January.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 17:17   #2127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

Now, the reason for sale is very bizarre. If only I had place for a third car, this would never have gone off my parking. The urge for a luxury car has been nagging me since April 2020 and the Camry and Lexus and CLA test drives were all done back then, before the first lock down hit and then came the Thar launch announcement, which I booked. The itch for the luxury probably never went away. .
Oh no. Please do update us on which car has displaced the Thar. Has an Audi stolen your hearts perhaps judging by some other recent posts from you?

Maybe a few years down the line you can opt back for a 5 door Thar.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 19:32   #2128

Hi All,

Finally after a wait of 9months, yesterday got a call that my Thar booked on 30Nov2020 (LX D HT AT Black) is billed and I can expect delivery in coming week.

So I went today to the dealership which is Koncept Mahindra, Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi to pay the balance as asked.

Need advice from fellow members for the following -

1. Price protection is being offered only for the ex showroom price while they are charging RTO(Delhi) on the present ex showroom cost which is ₹15,08,680 against ₹13,75,000.
The RTO(Delhi) charges are ₹1,93,415 against ₹1,76,705.

2. Same goes for environment tax, they want to charge 1% on present ex showroom cost.

2. The dealer is insisting on taking Insurance from them since they are able to match the quotation I got, I don’t mind that.

3. Now for extended warranty, they are forcing this on me for 4th year for ₹14,175, pls advise should I go for extended warranty.

I would not recommend this dealer to anyone looking out for Mahindra vehicles.

Regards
sagargoyal1993 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 20:09   #2129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Has an Audi stolen your hearts perhaps judging by some other recent posts from you?

Maybe a few years down the line you can opt back for a 5 door Thar.
Hello Axe

Yes. The AudiA6 indeed. That is some attention to detail that you have.

The Crysta is what was supposed to go in exchange, but then, it dawned on me that on the odd occasions when we have the extended family the Audi won’t suffice. Sadly, a hard decision to take. And as much as I tried, I could not manage another parking.

I’ll surely come back to own a Thar.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 20:20   #2130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagargoyal1993 View Post

1. Price protection is being offered only for the ex showroom price while they are charging RTO(Delhi) on the present ex showroom cost which is ₹15,08,680 against ₹13,75,000.
The RTO(Delhi) charges are ₹1,93,415 against ₹1,76,705.
This is correct. In Delhi, the road tax amount is calculated on the current ex showroom price. I too took the delivery from Koncept, Lajpat Nagar last month.
Quote:
2. Same goes for environment tax, they want to charge 1% on present ex showroom cost. -
This is again as per rules.
Quote:
3. Now for extended warranty, they are forcing this on me for 4th year for ₹14,175, pls advise should I go for extended warranty.
They can't force you to take it, politely refuse if you are not interested and if need be drop a mail to Mahindra customer care and they will take care of it. I will recommend that if you are planning to keep the car for 4 years, then please do take it. Infact go for a 5 yr, 120k km plan if you plan to keep it for 5 yrs or more. I have faced a failed usb port already.
Tourer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed