Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2021, 17:37   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I thought I was buying the best version of the Thar - Diesel AT HT. Now with all the DPF issues cropping up I feel that the BS 6 diesel is probably not the best option in any car. After patiently waiting for almost 11 months, I checked with my SA if he can allot me a petrol AT instead. Lets see.

In June (I think) he did offer me a Petrol AT.
I don't think one needs to be duly worried with DPF issues. I've booked the same version as well and this thought did cross my mind though diesel has always been my preferred choice. Even when the puny 1.0 litre turbo petrols are guzzling fuel like there's no tomorrow, it's anybody's guess the FE of petrol AT Thars. Another plus which I see with diesel Thar is it has a manual regeneration option for DPF, I would assume one is pretty sorted on that front. There's very less chance of one getting stranded owing to DPF. It's the same chance with many other components that can keep you stranded. A friend who owns a petrol AT Thar just mentioned it's 7-8 kmpl FE in mixed driving conditions. He's a spirited driver though. Such FE is on expected lines for a 2.0 litre turbo petrol, more so when the tune is performance oriented. I'm not quite comfortable with a turbo petrol for such a heavy SUV as Thar and that too a 2.0 litre one. Diesel Thar should give at least 110-130 kms extra range, which is a big plus in off road and on long hauls, both of which I would be doing.

My opinion is you stick with Diesel. DPF is not one solid enough reason to switch to petrol. Take the maximum warranty and it's all set. In case you switch to petrol, would be proposed 20% ethanol mix in petrol start to worry you and an EV Thar would be a long way away . This is one of the rarest and probably the last chance to own a 2.2 litre diesel under 20 lakhs.

Being a new technology as with any others, some teething issues are very much the norm and let's trust the manufacturers to iron it out in the days to come.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th September 2021 at 17:51.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 17:56   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I'm not quite comfortable with a turbo petrol for such a heavy SUV as Thar and that too a 2.0 litre one.
On long hauls with cruise control on, the Petrol MT at least delivers a respectable 13-14 kmpl using tankful method. Plus, the sheer refinement and added power of the Petrol on top of no DPF challenges makes it a strong contender.

Would suggest you do a long test drive of the petrol simulating the conditions you will largely experience and then decide. Do go with the tankful method as the AFE shown by MID has a variance of 1-2 kmpl.
sid_deb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 18:19   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I don't think one needs to be duly worried with DPF issues. I've booked the same version as well and this thought did cross my mind though diesel has always been my preferred choice. Even when the puny 1.0 litre turbo petrols are guzzling fuel like there's no tomorrow, it's anybody's guess the FE of petrol AT Thars.
Completely with you on the FE of the petrol Thar. Range and FE are the 2 reasons I chose the diesel. But boy of boy that petrol Thar is power and smooth.

Also, what happens if the instrument cluster in your diesel Thar fails to show any DPF clogging issue? Its clearly a bug. Thats what I am worried about. Nevertheless, for the 3rd straight month, my SA told me (with proof) that today ~ Sept 27 is my LFAD (Latest Fund Availability Date). But my ASM does not seem to be able to bill the car.

Last edited by Pancham : 27th September 2021 at 18:20.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 18:29   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought I was buying the best version of the Thar - Diesel AT HT. Now with all the DPF issues cropping up I feel that the BS 6 diesel is probably not the best option in any car. After patiently waiting for almost 11 months, I checked with my SA if he can allot me a petrol AT instead. Lets see.

In June (I think) he did offer me a Petrol AT.
Of the 15k KM I've clocked in my Diesel AT, at least 2000 would have been in hill ranges of the south (Ooty, Valparai, Sathyamangalam, Yercaud), and about 700KM of them were continuous hill usage. I have never faced a DPF related issue so far.

I also have a friend in Ooty who has a Diesel Thar (Nov 2020), and has had enough and more pains with DPF related errors. The errors are typical to what you see and read - DPF clogged, that goes to limp mode, service center checks a few things, all good, only to recur. Importent to note, he was getting this issue everywhere - be it on the hills or on 4-laned highways. While it's true that the issue prolonged across 6 months intermittently, it was finally fixed by M&M - they changed the sensor that triggers the clogged warning first, and when that didn't fix it, they changed the wiring harness for the exhaust sensor cluster - and it's been months he's been driving without this issue.

Let me quote what I said in Feb -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Make no mistake - Wiring Harness related loose connections are the Achilles Heel for the new Thar. Most of the errors a new Thar owner encounters will boil down to that .
I'm pretty sure that most of the DPF issues are not BSVI or exhaust related, but wiring issues - this is for the Thar, I do not have an experience or understanding of how, say, Ford's exhaust system is and what's causing their BSVI issues.

I don't know how many in the forum actually have a Thar Diesel, live in the hills or have driven at least 1000km in the hills to say if the issue exists or doesn't exist. I have plans for Spiti/ Leh sometime soon, and I do not have a concern in taking my Thar. You'll of course hear about my experience either way
ph03n!x is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 18:48   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Plus, the sheer refinement and added power of the Petrol on top of no DPF challenges makes it a strong contender.Would suggest you do a long test drive of the petrol simulating the conditions you will largely experience and then decide.
I have driven my friend's petrol AT Thar a fair distance(~500 kms) over the last few months across various terrains. Yes the refinement and power are two stand out attributes. Having said that, I'm more of a diesel guy for it's clatter, low end torque and it's effortless cruising on highways. My choice for diesel also stems from the confidence of using a BS6 diesel(Seltos) since close to two years now. I've had the DPF issues couple of times, but i've figured out ways to manage them. It's diesel any day for me

Quote:
Also, what happens if the instrument cluster in your diesel Thar fails to show any DPF clogging issue? Its clearly a bug. Thats what I am worried about.
I'm not sure on such a scenario and if anyone has faced it. As of now, I'm not losing sleep over DPF issues. My understanding(w.r.t Thar) is if the DPF gets clogged owing to failure in performing passive regen by the car itself, it gives you the option to manually regenerate it after parking the car. This is a good enough safety net for me. Such an option doesn't exist in many other BS6 diesels which is a big handicap.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 27th September 2021 at 18:58.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 22:00   #2256
BHPian

The left door glass while rolling down is now making a weird Grrr sound in my Thar. Seeing this after the car came from the first service.

Is it because of the washing done and will go away on its own in a few days? Or should I get it checked at the ASS. Will be very helpful to get inputs on this.
Old 28th September 2021, 06:09   #2257

Hey, firstly, what an amazing review. I was sold! To the point that we bought a Thar (Petrol LX Soft Top) and eagerly awaiting delivery. Even with the family, most of our daily tea breaks are centered around the Thar, what accessories to get, what trips to plan, where to go for offroading. And one fine day, we thought about the parking. Which compelled me to seek advice from other owners of the soft top.

Context: There is an acute monkey menace in my building. They have chewed out the radio antenna atop our Honda Amaze already. Now, the problem is, we are afraid of the wear and tear of the soft top against the monkeys. There is no solution to the problem of the monkeys itself.

Is the soft top durable enough to get harmed by the monkeys? Even the window cutouts? How much protection would the car cover add? We are thinking of getting made out of tarpaulin as a stop gap solution. If any current owners of the Thar have been in a similar situation, I would really appreciate your inputs.

PS: In case, the post is in the wrong place or otherwise requires removal, please accept my apologies. Challenges of the newbie, amirite?
Old 28th September 2021, 10:31   #2258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsandheer View Post
Hey, firstly, what an amazing review.
==========
PS: In case, the post is in the wrong place or otherwise requires removal, please accept my apologies. Challenges of the newbie, amirite?
Get a big tiger toy (stuffed) and place it visibly. That may scare the monkeys (at least for some days).

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th September 2021 at 10:58. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire post for a short reply, it affects readability. Thanks.
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 11:28   #2259
BHPian

I left India to my work place abroad in September 2020 before the Thar was launched and havent returned since then.

I own a Duster AWD and used to do mild off roading with it. Finally decided to book the Thar without taking a test drive and not even seeing it in person. I made a booking for LX AT Diesel Hard Top in Mystic Copper. I did the booking online on 20-09-2021.

The CPD given to me is 15-07-2022. My long wait begins.
Old 30th September 2021, 13:06   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Today, I start my 11th month of waiting. I booked on November 30, 2020.

Another month, another call from the SA and another similar message: Your Thar is not billed in this cycle as well, Sir. Please check with the ASM.

Despite the ASM confirming (again) that the billing will surely be done by 30th Sept and the dealer sharing with me the ASM's email listing down the cars allocated to them (and the list contains my car), the end result is that they DID NOT bill my car. And this has been happening since January. I was probably too naïve to expect the car in January but May onwards I really believing the car could come - they promised over and over again. Fellow bhpians and friends' received their Thars - but mine never came.

The SA blames the ASM, the ASM doesnt respond to my messages and Mahindra seems to enjoy all this. At this stage, I am really not sure who is playing me. Is it the ASM or the SA or Mahindra. I understand the chip shortage saga but they are delivering other Thars/other customer orders as usual. So as much as Mahindra would like to hide behind the excuse of chip shortage, I highly doubt if that is true cause behind this delay.

After all this, I cannot stop but question Mahindra's unprofessional business practices and if these guys (Dealer/ASM/maybe Mahindra included) are involved in shady practices.

For now, I have lost 99% interest in the Thar. All the niggles that are still cropping up are not helping either. We are car enthusiasts and our clock starts ticking right from the moment we book. But Thar has taken 11 months and still going on. I think my 4x4 dream will remain unfulfilled as there is no other reasonably priced liveable 4x4s in India. All the Zanskar and winter Spiti plans go down the drain for now.

Not sure what the road ahead is like for new XUV 7oo customers but I think I am done with Mahindra. Was a mistake shifting from the Koreans/Germans and considering a product from an Indian company.
Pancham is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 13:16   #2261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today, I start my 11th month of waiting. I booked on November 30, 2020
Hats off to your patience levels, mate! I, for one, cannot sustain these levels of uncertainty and ambiguity. While waiting periods of 8-9 months are not unheard of for the LX AT D HT variant, 11 months is just too much. I suspect foul play at your dealer's end, wherein they are allotting vehicles to folks who are ready to pay a "premium". Why don't you try booking with another dealer? Will the current dealer forfeit your booking amount?

I am sure you would have got in touch with Mahindra customer care already. If not, please do so. If you have, are they just redirecting you back to the dealer?
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 13:35   #2262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I am sure you would have got in touch with Mahindra customer care already. If not, please do so. If you have, are they just redirecting you back to the dealer?
The issue with re-booking is that there will be another 8-9 months of waiting. About Mahindra customer care, yes. Few weeks back I tweeted Anand Mahindra and tagged the customer care (CC). Someone from the CC messaged me and said they are taking it up with the ASM.

So yeah, it goes back to the dealer.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 19:22   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
The left door glass while rolling down is now making a weird Grrr sound in my Thar. Seeing this after the car came from the first service.

Is it because of the washing done and will go away on its own in a few days? Or should I get it checked at the ASS. Will be very helpful to get inputs on this.
Dear all,
Would really appreciate inputs on this. Many thanks in advance
Old 30th September 2021, 20:35   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all,
Would really appreciate inputs on this. Many thanks in advance
Since we are talking about a vehicle here, and not a dog, there is absolutely no reason for it to make a Grrr sound after a bath . On a serious note, you get it checked and documented.
sbanerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 13:07   #2265

After delivery of my PETROL CT/AT and driving few kilometers on city and highway roads, I decided to install the following accessories; LED headlight, HID fog light, rearview dash camera, parking sensors, radiator and fuel tank protectors and few other functional and cosmetic stuff.
Initially surprised with spongy brakes and small thug while changing from D to N and vice versa. Enjoying the prescribed 80 kmph speed limit until first 1000 km service.
Have not faced any water leakage through the soft top in heavy Kolkata rains.
Happy to share two snaps.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-front-view.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-side-view.jpg
Saugat is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks