Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 12:57   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

A friend upgraded the headlight bulbs on his Thar with Philips X-tremeVision G-Force bulbs. It's of the same wattage(55/60 W) as OEM and a plug and play fitment(no relay). He says the improvement is 100% with much better illumination and throw vis-a-vis stock. Cost is 1500₹ a pair. Colour temperature is upto 3500 Kevin bright white light. Few pictures below in both high and low beam. There's no comparison image with the stock lights.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07ZRRBXR2/...2AF83S9KBR52A5
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20211005wa0024.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20211005wa0023.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211006_125851.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 6th October 2021 at 13:02.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 18:50   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Guys who made their booking online and then cancelled, could you please help me out with the refund procedure? My dealership, which is apparently the biggest Mahindra dealer in West Bengal, is not sure about the cancellation and refund process. They asked me to cancel the booking online in the website where I made the booking - but I could not find any option to cancel my booking.

I have sent the dealership an email to cancel my booking but they said the booking will get cancelled but I wont get the INR 21,000 back till I ask Mahindra (website) to cancel it.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 08:20   #2283
BHPian

Hi Guys. Somehow not able to find the previous gen Thar official review. Can anyone let me know the basic suspension setup difference between a 2013 Thar and 2016 Thar?
Old 7th October 2021, 09:06   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Hi Guys. Somehow not able to find the previous gen Thar official review. Can anyone let me know the basic suspension setup difference between a 2013 Thar and 2016 Thar?
Here you go, but don't know if it has the info you need:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...11-2019-a.html (Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019))
Old 7th October 2021, 09:23   #2285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
CRDe has torsion bar and leaf spring. New Thar has coil springs.Both of them are a Scorpio of different generations made to look like a Jeep.

Review in here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...se-look-3.html (2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look)
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 09:14   #2286
BHPian

Hello Thar Owners,

I shall be taking the delivery probably by next week. The extra accessories I look forward to install are a seat mounted arm rest and a reverse cam. Dealer has quoted Rs. 4800 for the camera where as M2all shows a price of Rs 2600. Are they same? Which is the best quality reverse cam model available to install?

Regarding seat mounted armrest, can anyone help me with a reference here in Bangalore who can do a neat job? Iam not fond of the center mounted types as it looks so cheap.

Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 10:49   #2287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hello Thar Owners,

I shall be taking the delivery probably by next week. The extra accessories I look forward to install are a seat mounted arm rest and a reverse cam. Dealer has quoted Rs. 4800 for the camera where as M2all shows a price of Rs 2600. Are they same? Which is the best quality reverse cam model available to install?

Regarding seat mounted armrest, can anyone help me with a reference here in Bangalore who can do a neat job? Iam not fond of the center mounted types as it looks so cheap.

Thanks
Almost all Mahindra accessories are poor quality and overpriced.

Mahindra Camera is poor quality, go in for Blaupunkt DHO2 or DH04 camera much better quality.

As for armrest, you will get better quality with aftermarket sellers like Bimbra.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:07   #2288
Distinguished - BHPian

Birdie chirps to all New Thar AT owners - petrol and diesel - to get the transfer case cable abutment checked at your next service for extraordinary wear and tear. There's a possibility of cable breakage due to incorrect operation one too many times.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:13   #2289
BHPian

Hi! Just out of curiosity, have any new Thars come with the new Mahindra logo? Havent seen one in the wild and was wondering if and when that would be happening.
Old 8th October 2021, 11:27   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Happened to catch a quick glimpse of this white beauty near JP nagar signal at Blr yesterday. Zoomed away once signal turned green and could not sight it later.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-7231be56e4ed481eb8b75a6cd57ac55d.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:43   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys who made their booking online and then cancelled, could you please help me out with the refund procedure? My dealership, which is apparently the biggest Mahindra dealer in West Bengal, is not sure about the cancellation and refund process. They asked me to cancel the booking online in the website where I made the booking - but I could not find any option to cancel my booking.

I have sent the dealership an email to cancel my booking but they said the booking will get cancelled but I wont get the INR 21,000 back till I ask Mahindra (website) to cancel it.
If you have still not cancelled, if its still there in the system, I'd suggest keeping it. Sad that those of us waiting for such a long time have to cancel the booking due to such a pathetic response from M&M and Dealers. I see quite a few deliveries happening around and yours shouldn't be that far.
Although I never expected that exclusivity of new Thar during initial period, when there are hardly any seen on roads, I only have the practical use of the vehicle in my mind, my excitement is fading away but still holding on.

Please check with the customer care and they should be able to help cancelling booking on their system or at least point you to right contact who can do that.
Bookings between Dec 1st and date announced for the first price hike can be refunded in full is what I heard from my Dealer some time ago.

Anyone's aware of an escalation matrix or something that we can use to figure out the real reason why deliveries for some is taking such a long time? I'll complete 11 months of waiting by end of this month, from the current response from Dealer or ASM/M&M it doesnt look like they are going to deliver anytime soon.

Last edited by Ketan : 8th October 2021 at 11:45.
Old 8th October 2021, 13:07   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
If you have still not cancelled, if its still there in the system, I'd suggest keeping it. Sad that those of us waiting for such a long time have to cancel the booking due to such a pathetic response from M&M and Dealers. I see quite a few deliveries happening around and yours shouldn't be that far.
Although I never expected that exclusivity of new Thar during initial period, when there are hardly any seen on roads, I only have the practical use of the vehicle in my mind, my excitement is fading away but still holding on.

Please check with the customer care and they should be able to help cancelling booking on their system or at least point you to right contact who can do that.
Bookings between Dec 1st and date announced for the first price hike can be refunded in full is what I heard from my Dealer some time ago.
I cancelled yesterday. For the first time ever, I received 3 back to back calls from Mahindra asking me the reason for cancelling.

All this while their standard response was "Sir, talk to the dealer". This time around they listened. But I still cancelled the booking. They will refund after deducting the 10% cancellation fee which I opposed to but they said that is the policy.

To be honest I have lost interest in the Thar. I know its a feeling, its special, blah blah. But at the end of the day, its a vehicle and no one wants to wait for a year for a car. My dealer confirmed that they may not be able to deliver in the next 2-3 months which is absurd. May be they have given my car away to someone else, not sure. But I am done with Mahindra and all these "Made in India for India" taglines that they flaunt. All this is a sham.

I know the customers who got their cars delivered are having a good customer experience. But it honestly means nothing to me because I never got to own one. All I got was a blank expression from the SA, ASM and M&M. This way I dont think they will not be able to attract new customers (I was one).

Anyway, now I hope I will get my money back.

Last edited by Pancham : 8th October 2021 at 13:12.
Pancham is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:24   #2293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhrai View Post
I am looking for an upgrade to my 2016 Hyundai Creta. I am strongly considering Thar as my next car. People keep saying it's an impractical buy but my reasoning is that I am young and single, so I can afford to make this mistake (if it is one).

I am badly confused between Thar diesel AT and Kushaq 1.5 DSG. I don't feel any other car will be a worthy upgrade to my existing ride, keeping the budget under 20 Lacs..
Contrary to the positions that most members have taken, I am going to offer a slightly different opinion. While with the first generation Tar, it was okay to say it’s either the Thar or nothing, but the second generation car is truly engineered to compete with rivals from the other, more general segments. It is one of the best city cars, given its short length, high seating position, ease of driving with the automatic transmission, and more than decent fuel efficiency in the diesel avatar. It’s a very good mile muncher on the highways, as I have found out from the 5+ trips I have taken of over 500 km each time. Contrary to some of the early reviews of the car, it is not at all unstable at higher speeds and feels solid and plated on curved roads due to its immense width and wide track, compared to the length. I have found it to be quite composed safe even at 115 km/h and have adopted that as my standard Thar cruising speed on the brilliant TN highways after a few initial months of staying at 100-105 kph. Yes there is wind noise, but if you have an upgraded audio system and a hard top you can get over this. For being a breadbox shape, still efficiency is not bad and has improved after 8000 km of running - it is possible to consistently get 13 km per litre even with 110 km/h cruising speed on the diesel AT.

The only part of your question that makes me think Thar may not be the right answer for you is the one about being chauffeur driven. The Thar is meant to be self driven, it does not have a great backseat to enjoy a relaxed journey with the chauffeur driving you. The front seat as an option, however it is not very passive, given the wide glass area and the commanding vistas, you are bound to be drawn into the motion of the car and the views outside. If you really want the Thar, fire your Chauffeur and start driving yourself. You will enjoy it immensely!

I don’t know much about how the Kushaq 1.5 DSG drives, but other than outright power and acceleration, I do not think it’ll deliver anything like the interesting experience that you have driving a Thar AT. The extra power may keep you excited for a few weeks initially, but the Majestic relaxed drive of the Thar will keep you excited for years to come. Also if it is just power you looking for, you may be better off with an XUV700, it is way more powerful than the Kushaq, and delivers all that power at much lesser price point as well.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 15:59   #2294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

The only part of your question that makes me think Thar may not be the right answer for you is the one about being chauffeur driven. The Thar is meant to be self driven, it does not have a great backseat to enjoy a relaxed journey with the chauffeur driving you. The front seat as an option, however it is not very passive, given the wide glass area and the commanding vistas, you are bound to be drawn into the motion of the car and the views outside. If you really want the Thar, fire your Chauffeur and start driving yourself. You will enjoy it immensely!
When chauffeur driven, I sit beside him and not in the rear seat. One of the major factors for considering Thar apart from the regular ones is this only, the rear portion of the car will hardly be ever used.

I use the driver only for work trips, for leisure ones, it’s me, no one else is allowed to drive.

So, after contemplating a lot, I have realised that Kushaq or any other car in this segment would not be a worthy upgrade from my Creta. All of them offer something or the other, but nothing significant.

Hence, I have finalised two cars, Thar and Compass, both top ends Diesel AT. If budget permits and family approves, it will be Jeep. It’s offering me decent performance upgrade and entry to premium vehicles. If not, then Thar, which is a completely different category. In a sea of crossovers, it is a proper SUV which can be used as a daily driver as per your and others reviews.
saurabhrai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 16:09   #2295
BHPian

Finally took a leap of faith and booked LX P AT HT in black. Dealer here has in ready stock. I don't know whether it's result of cancellation of petrol bookings due to XUV7OO or something else however dealer offered 3 colour choices in same variant i.e. Galaxy Grey, Napoli Black, Rocky Beige. They told me about having ready stock for delivery due to festive season which I'm unable to digest. Diesel variant still has 11-12 months waiting as per dealer.

Anyways, have asked for VIN and other details to get absolute clarity on allotment before I go ahead with further process. Dealer agreed for me to take insurance on my own. Initially they kept haggling but relented eventually. The quote is ~ 93,000 vs 60,000 - Dealer vs self

Hope to complete pending formalities and taking home the Thar soon. Super excited.
LeoMachine is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks