Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 10:17   #2356
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Hey, has anybody checked the used car listings for the new Thar ? I'm seeing alot of 2020/21 Thars with 2k-10k on the ODO in Mumbai. Alot of dealers calling themselves investors and selling slightly used Thars at either a premium or almost the same price as a new one.Most are asking for 19lacs (pretty much the on road price for a new one).

However one of the dealers I know has offered a 2021 Thar D AT HT with 5k on the odo for 17.85 lacs (almost 75k cheaper than new), not sure whether to consider it or not.
Old 18th October 2021, 11:26   #2357
BHPian

What is the size of the speakers in the Thar? Front, top (back) and the tweeter. While the stock speakers are awful (darn M&M and their cutting corners), I don't want anything that needs additional wiring. I want to DIY replace the stock speakers and wanted to know what dimension I should look for. Is there a factor of depth as well besides diameter?
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 11:35   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
Got delivery of my Mystic Copper AT Diesel on Dushera. I had booked it on Nov 29 2020 under price protection. For now, just sharing some pictures whilst i enjoy the fruits of the 11 montha of waiting Im loving the attention the open top Thar gets.
Congratulations and wish you many happy miles with the new ride!
You're right, the open top looks just amazing! Looks like they have started to deliver diesel ATs in Bangalore in full swing. I'm waiting for mine in another 10 days or so in the same color option but its HT. Open top ability will badly be missed, I'd look for some (easily) removable HT option after a while in market if it shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
Hey, has anybody checked the used car listings for the new Thar ? I'm seeing alot of 2020/21 Thars with 2k-10k on the ODO in Mumbai. Alot of dealers calling themselves investors and selling slightly used Thars at either a premium or almost the same price as a new one.Most are asking for 19lacs (pretty much the on road price for a new one).

However one of the dealers I know has offered a 2021 Thar D AT HT with 5k on the odo for 17.85 lacs (almost 75k cheaper than new), not sure whether to consider it or not.
I think we are going to see many of these, there would be many Petrol edition for resale once the honeymoon period is over, I won't be surprised if market will be flooded with those petrol ones and many diesel as well.
I'd suggest, not to get 5k run vehicle with the same price (or even bit less) on road currently. You'll soon see that this drama around high demand and dealers making money would end. Go ahead and book now, to put that placeholder (you can cancel any time), I feel they are going to speed up the deliveries in all the regions soon. I'd wait for 2-3 months (guess that would be the diesel waiting period going forward, or even less) rather than getting a 5k used one, difficult to gauge if the transfer case or any other parts were abused, dealers would mask those signs easily.
Ketan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 11:53   #2359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
You'll soon see that this drama around high demand and dealers making money would end. Go ahead and book now, to put that placeholder (you can cancel any time), I feel they are going to speed up the deliveries in all the regions soon. I'd wait for 2-3 months (guess that would be the diesel waiting period going forward, or even less) rather than getting a 5k used one, difficult to gauge if the transfer case or any other parts were abused, dealers would mask those signs easily.
I had put in my booking about 45 days ago. But given how the waiting period stands currently, I'm keeping an eye out for a good used example at an acceptable price. I'm in particular rush yet as I'm still in the process of selling of my current car. However since Dussehra I've seen a bunch of new listings pop up for mildly used Thars (mostly diesel). What do you think would be a good price for something with less than 5k on the odo for Thar D AT HT ? To be honest 17.85 sounded good to me if you factor in what the other dealers are asking for on olx.
Old 18th October 2021, 12:14   #2360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
Even the SC guys take ample time to pull them out and the problem is that the dashboard part where the vents are fitted in take a hit. They put in screwdrivers etc. to pull out the vents and the dashboard plastic bear marks of the same!
I wonder why they cannot have a better way to replace them!
All Bhpians owning a Thar should join together to demand Mahindra a proper recall for replacement of the AC vents with better built and if needed, with simpler design elements. The current ones are very flimsy.
I dare not touch them, just made the adjustment once and left it now.
Another issue is the blower. The blower even at setting 1 is a bit too fast and loud. It also needs some adjustment.

Mahindra, if you are reading this. Address these minor issues which effects the ownership experience.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 12:50   #2361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
I had put in my booking about 45 days ago. But given how the waiting period stands currently, I'm keeping an eye out for a good used example at an acceptable price.
Despite all changes that have gone in to make the new gen Thar a more "livable" vehicle, it is a jeep at the end of the day, and not everyone's cup of tea. As the honeymoon period gets over and many owners realize this, they will get rid of their Thar's, while trying to capitalize on impatience of folks who have been waiting for their Thar's for many months.

Compared to a regular car, a part-time 4wd vehicle like the Thar has higher chances of being abused because most of these folks would have bought a Thar for the style quotient associated with it, with zilch knowledge of part-time 4wd mechanism, thereby leading to inadvertent misuse of (and possible damage to) the drivetrain. Going by videos of amateur owners being uploaded aplenty on Youtube, the way most owners are treating their Thar's is horrifying to say the least!

If I were you, I'd stay away from used examples. Be a little more patient and get a new one, unless you plan to satiate that urge for beating a jeep around for fun and selling it off after a few years. I am sure waiting periods will come down soon, given that many potential buyers have moved on to other options due to the long waiting periods as well as launch of more practical options like the XUV7OO.

Last edited by cool_dube : 18th October 2021 at 12:56.
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 13:29   #2362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

Compared to a regular car, a part-time 4wd vehicle like the Thar has higher chances of being abused because most of these folks would have bought a Thar for the style quotient associated with it, with zilch knowledge of part-time 4wd mechanism, thereby leading to inadvertent misuse of (and possible damage to) the drivetrain. Going by videos of amateur owners being uploaded aplenty on Youtube, the way most owners are treating their Thar's is horrifying to say the least!
I hadn't thought about how off road newbies would've used the car that deeply, was mostly just going to get it inspected by a Mahindra ASS, but perhaps will be more cautious now.
Old 18th October 2021, 14:56   #2363
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase and thanks for the nice review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post

Convertible Top:
This is the #1 feature why I got the Thar! I wanted the top-down experience in the hills and it was worth the wait. I had previously seen videos on how to open/close the mechanism and the first time I did it, took me 2-3 minutes to open the top and maybe a couple of minutes longer to close it. The mechanism is very simple to use, and the only thing that can prolong the time frame is getting the side panels to snap-in. Having repeated this process several times, it requires minimal effort.
Having said that, you didn't post a picture with the top open
Old 18th October 2021, 19:51   #2364

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
All Bhpians owning a Thar should join together to demand Mahindra a proper recall for replacement of the AC vents with better built and if needed, with simpler design elements. The current ones are very flimsy.
I dare not touch them, just made the adjustment once and left it now.
Another issue is the blower. The blower even at setting 1 is a bit too fast and loud. It also needs some adjustment.

Mahindra, if you are reading this. Address these minor issues which effects the ownership experience.
I have faced similar quality issues with AC vents and one bit fell-off during adjustment.
Cold air blast is too much to handle at level 1 and fogs up the bottom-center of windscreen. I have tried to adjust by keeping the window slightly open and also fine tuning the heating mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211017_081828.jpg  

Saugat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 20:36   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugat View Post
I have faced similar quality issues with AC vents and one bit fell-off during adjustment.
Cold air blast is too much to handle at level 1 and fogs up the bottom-center of windscreen. I have tried to adjust by keeping the window slightly open and also fine tuning the heating mode.
I had the exact same issue like you are having with the AC vent center knob.
I had added a post regarding my DIY fix for the same issue as yours. Just to stop my OCD seeing the missing black center part of the AC knob.
Here is the Link (2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions)

Last edited by dr_TJ : 18th October 2021 at 20:37.
Old 19th October 2021, 09:59   #2366
BHPian

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum but have been following this thread for over a year now! After lusting for years I took the plunge and had booked a diesel MT HT in August in aquamarine colour.

However, after a month or so the dealership called and said they have petrol AT HT available (as mentioned by many others now). I took the plunge and switched my booking to what was available. I took the delivery last week of the Thar in Galaxy Grey colour.

I've already taken it to Polo forrest over the weekend (on a 300km trip) and it has been an absolute pleasure to drive. However, while returning from the trip I heard a knocking sound from the rear of the Thar every time I put on the brakes (especially over 50km speed). I took it to the service station and the mechanic informed me that it needs the rear drums changing. He said it in a way that indicated that this could be a wider issue (he said they are receiving 16 drums on Wednesday).

Has anyone else faced the same issue? Hope there are no further quality related issues with the vehicle.

Thanks.
bhargav_dave is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 10:30   #2367
BHPian

I would love a vehicle with exteriors of Thar and interiors of XUV! Not much bothered about offroading but those looks are killer.
Old 19th October 2021, 10:35   #2368
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations on your new Thar! Petrol AT is a great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav_dave View Post
He said it in a way that indicated that this could be a wider issue (he said they are receiving 16 drums on Wednesday)
Did he indicate that he has seen this issue with other Thar's as well? I do not recall reading about anything of this nature on this thread.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited by cool_dube : 19th October 2021 at 10:36.
Old 19th October 2021, 11:07   #2369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Many congratulations on your new Thar! Petrol AT is a great choice. Did he indicate that he has seen this issue with other Thar's as well? I do not recall reading about anything of this nature on this thread. Please keep us posted.
Thanks. I think it is a good choice too (barring the fuel economy of course!).

I did try to prod him but he was not forthcoming beyond what I picked between the lines. Could be a batch related issue (he was on the phone with his manager when we were test driving and he was talking about it if it was a known issue).

It will go to the service station tomorrow for the replacement. Will post an update after that.
bhargav_dave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 12:27   #2370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav_dave View Post
Thanks. I think it is a good choice too (barring the fuel economy of course!).

I did try to prod him but he was not forthcoming beyond what I picked between the lines. Could be a batch related issue (he was on the phone with his manager when we were test driving and he was talking about it if it was a known issue).

It will go to the service station tomorrow for the replacement. Will post an update after that.
Congratulations and wish you many happy miles with your new ride! I dont remember reading it on the niggles/issues thread. I'd suggest you go ahead and mention this on that thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...solutions.html (2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions)
You may hear from others if they faced such an issue or should be able to help with your experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks