Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 25th October 2021, 16:57   #2416
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I recently completed 12 days driving across 7-8 states especially remote areas of Kashmir, Ladakh and Zanskar valley. Many of these places did not have telephone network or much civilization. I must admit that I had constant fear of driving electronic laden BSVI vehicle with DEF. Furthermore, manual says DEF freezes at -11C. Whereas we reached minimum temperature of -13C overnight.
My only saving grace was another non BSVI vehicle with 4WD and enough space to accommodate me if something would have gone wrong. Luckily, I didnt face single issue throughout the trip. Even many locals had warned me about DEF issue but i followed a simple routine of manually driving Thar above 2000 RPM for 20-25 minutes (few places anyways needed such RPMs) every few hours to avoid DEF issue.
The only issues after 12500 kms is increased buffeting noise between hardtop and windscreen and rear door making noise.
To be fair with Mahindra, Thar first gives you indication for REGEN and this is something you SHOULD NOT ignore. At this stage you can manually do the Re-generation.
Heard stories of locals rejecting BSVI vehicles or opting for petrol vehicles wherever possible. But these are hearsays and not first hand experiences. Most of the new Thars are petrol in Ladakh region as per my observation.
Conclusion: Will most probably take my non Scorpio, Pajero etc, next time to avoid anxiety. As more people travel to these remote areas with BSVI diesel vehicles over next few months, things will be more clear.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1634802240310.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1634802240316.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1634802240322.jpg

Last edited by Shubhendra : 25th October 2021 at 16:59.
Shubhendra is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 18:28   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMachine View Post
So finally took delivery of Petrol LX HT AT in Napoli Black on Dusshera.
1) Rear camera
2) Piano Black Taillamp Appliques
3) Piano Black Headlamp Appliques
4) Piano Black side mirror Appliques
5) Steering wheel cover
6) Radiator protection kit
7) Fuel Tank protection

Accessories # 5 - 7 are out of stock hence pending to be installed. Hope to get it done this week. In addition, have also installed front centre arm rest with storage and cup holders and rear seat side armrest with storage and cup holders from outside.

The drive experience so far has been super. Still getting to learn/unlearn few things. Dead pedal is sorely missed. Planning for aftermarket install.
Congratulations! Wishing you many happy miles with the new ride!
Have you compared the full underbody cover from aftermarket with the radiator grill and fuel tank protection? I'm confused, if the full underbody protection from aftermarket is going to add too much weight to it; although heard its some light aluminum alloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I recently completed 12 days driving across 7-8 states especially remote areas of Kashmir, Ladakh and Zanskar valley. Many of these places did not have telephone network or much civilization. I must admit that I had constant fear of driving electronic laden BSVI vehicle with DEF. Furthermore, manual says DEF freezes at -11C. Whereas we reached minimum temperature of -13C overnight.
My only saving grace was another non BSVI vehicle with 4WD and enough space to accommodate me if something would have gone wrong. Luckily, I didnt face single issue throughout the trip. Even many locals had warned me about DEF issue but i followed a simple routine of manually driving Thar above 2000 RPM for 20-25 minutes (few places anyways needed such RPMs) every few hours to avoid DEF issue.
The only issues after 12500 kms is increased buffeting noise between hardtop and windscreen and rear door making noise.
To be fair with Mahindra, Thar first gives you indication for REGEN and this is something you SHOULD NOT ignore. At this stage you can manually do the Re-generation.
Heard stories of locals rejecting BSVI vehicles or opting for petrol vehicles wherever possible. But these are hearsays and not first hand experiences. Most of the new Thars are petrol in Ladakh region as per my observation.
Conclusion: Will most probably take my non Scorpio, Pajero etc, next time to avoid anxiety. As more people travel to these remote areas with BSVI diesel vehicles over next few months, things will be more clear.
Thanks for sharing, beautiful pictures!! I feel these DEF related issues are slightly over-hyped. I guess one should be concerned about it only if you see the REGEN alert. I wish M&M can make the alerts logs available to the infotainment so they are not missed.
I feel the 2K rpm is not something that you must run at to avoid the alert, I feel to get to that 2K, you may have to run at 100kmps on plains.. now you may run at 80/90 kmph, less than 2k rpms, for a very long time and you may not see the alert, it may start to clog only with very low rpms and starts to clear quickly above 2k rpm, hence the number suggested.

A question to experts here.
I have received the VIN for my allocation today, the mfg month seems to be June this year and the sr# is 120xx. It's LX D AT HT Mys Cpr. I have asked sales rep about the reason, yet to hear another story in response.
Is this because of the chip shortage that the car may have parked in the factory for these many months? What are the other possibilities you can think of?
I'll have to make sure I perform through customer-PDI on this vehicle, I'll look for our standard document if attached to this thread.

Last edited by Ketan : 25th October 2021 at 18:32.
Old 25th October 2021, 18:42   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I feel the 2K rpm is not something that you must run at to avoid the alert, I feel to get to that 2K, you may have to run at 100kmps on plains.. now you may run at 80/90 kmph, less than 2k rpms, for a very long time and you may not see the alert, it may start to clog only with very low rpms and starts to clear quickly above 2k rpm, hence the number suggested.
You can reach 2K RPM at 20 Kmph in first or second gear
In rough hills, anyways you can not drive more than 20-30 kmph throughout the day.
My interpretation is to run engine at higher RPMs for prolonged time for regen to take place. Most of the tips point to the same. And auto regen does hold RPM at 2.1 K for 15-20 mins for this purpose.
Old 25th October 2021, 19:55   #2419
BHPian

I got an auto dimming IRVM installed on my Thar and found it a very useful accessory. In fact I have to jump from the seat during drives to reach the IRVMs to flip the knob as Thar is such a tall boy. Here are few pictures and I must say its neatly done by my accessory guy. This model of IRVM goes very well with the overall interiors and looks like an OEM fitment.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211025_190645.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211025_190658.jpg  

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 25th October 2021 at 19:56.
highwaypatrol is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 19:58   #2420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In rough hills, anyways you can not drive more than 20-30 kmph throughout the day.
My interpretation is to run engine at higher RPMs for prolonged time for regen to take place. Most of the tips point to the same. And auto regen does hold RPM at 2.1 K for 15-20 mins for this purpose.
My highway speeds are usually between 85 KMPH to 100 KMPH, and the engine will be spinning at a lazy 1500 to 1800 RPM (Mine is an AT). No DPF issues in 16k KM.

What I've understood from my ASS' tech head is - it's not about pushing it above 2000 RPM for day to day driving to avoid DPF getting clogged. It's about getting the engine and exhaust heated up enough to burn the soot off.

When it's almost choked, the parked regen takes 20 min at 2000+ RPM. But for regular usage, as long as the engine is running long enough, DPF should be taken care by the wizardry.

In other words, if most of your driving will be under 5 or 10km (under 15 - 30 min), yes - do a 2000+ RPM drive. If you do drive for 30 min to an hour or more, even in bumper to bumper traffic, just drive normally and do not turn off the engine at signals or prolonged stops.

The example/ use-case the tech head gave was milk/ fruit/ delivery vehicles that drop goods off from store to store - this is in the Nilgris, that too. This dealership faced DPF issues with these vehicles in the initial days. They did a RCA, advised the drivers to not switch off the engine between each stop - and the issues stopped
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:05   #2421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

What I've understood from my ASS' tech head is - it's not about pushing it above 2000 RPM for day to day driving to avoid DPF getting clogged. It's about getting the engine and exhaust heated up enough to burn the soot off.

The example/ use-case the tech head gave was milk/ fruit/ delivery vehicles that drop goods off from store to store - this is in the Nilgris, that too. This dealership faced DPF issues with these vehicles in the initial days. They did a RCA, advised the drivers to not switch off the engine between each stop - and the issues stopped
My friend's Thar got stuck because of DPF issue between Manali and Leh. Reason: he was driving between 1000-1500 RPM throughout the day.
I am not sure which version to go but I took extreme precaution in remote area with snowfall and no network. I dont even think about DPF issue either in new Safari or Thar in 12000kms of respective running.
Missing BD sir for technical knowledge sharing
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:12   #2422
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Shout out to Petrol AT Thar owners - What is the real-world kitna-deti-hai figures you are getting in urban conditions?

Sorry if this has been answered already by owners in previous posts. I tried looking for details but could not find any in the sea of replies in this massive thread.
Old 26th October 2021, 11:40   #2423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Shout out to Petrol AT Thar owners - What is the real-world kitna-deti-hai figures you are getting in urban conditions?

Sorry if this has been answered already by owners in previous posts. I tried looking for details but could not find any in the sea of replies in this massive thread.
6-8 kmpl in city conditions.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:46   #2424
HTC
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Disclaimer: No offensive to existing, future or prospectvie THAR owners.

Off late I am seeing lot of Thars on road. Looks like the novelty factor is fading off for Thar. I dont tend to turn back and take a look at Thars like I did before. Below pointers are not helping either,
  • Constant price hikes
  • Uncertain delivery timelines ( come-on, few in north india have gotten it in couple of months, but in karnataka its minimum 10 months without guarantee of delivery)
  • Snobbish attitude of mahindra sales people who are basking in glory of back to back success( now that I have booked the Thar, when ever I ask for a test drive, they give lame excuses like 'car has gone for a event to coorg'. This I have heard several times. Once they made me come to mysore showroom and said test drive vehicle is not available. So much for customer satisfaction)
  • Compromise in luggage space for touring purposes( though we pack light, we end up purchasing many stuff on the way(like clay cooking pots in kerala, plants from nurseries in ooty, yercaud. All these adds more fun to joirney and we bring back memories)

With the entry of New Gurkha which seems more practical and loaded with accessories from showroom, few might jump the ship here. I'm keeping my Thar booking intact and when time comes, I will decide on which way to go - pre owned, Thar or Gurkha.

Or may be I'm thinking too much. Effect of WFH maybe
Old 26th October 2021, 13:12   #2425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
With the entry of New Gurkha which seems more practical and loaded with accessories from showroom, few might jump the ship here. I'm keeping my Thar booking intact and when time comes, I will decide on which way to go - pre owned, Thar or Gurkha.
All of your above stated points make sense.
However, I personally wouldn't go the Gurkha way - mainly because of the under-par engine and lack of Force ASCs. A pre-owned Thar would still be a better option.
Old 26th October 2021, 13:32   #2426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
With the entry of New Gurkha which seems more practical and loaded with accessories from showroom, few might jump the ship here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
However, I personally wouldn't go the Gurkha way
Good discussion, but more apt for this (Force Gurkha vs Mahindra Thar vs Isuzu V-Cross vs others) thread
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 14:02   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend's Thar got stuck because of DPF issue between Manali and Leh. Reason: he was driving between 1000-1500 RPM throughout the day.
I am not sure which version to go but I took extreme precaution in remote area with snowfall and no network. I dont even think about DPF issue either in new Safari or Thar in 12000kms of respective running.
Missing BD sir for technical knowledge sharing
True.. we miss that stalwart in more ways than one

About your friend's Thar, was he/ she driving continuously through the day, or was it engine on - low RPM - engine off in short period - engine on - repeat kind of a driving?

What I'm given to understand, and belive to be true from my experience (and yours) is that as long as the engine is on continuously even if it's halt and go, the DPF issue shouldn't occur. If the engine and exhaust system goes through warm - off - warm off, then it's a recipe for trouble.

The one thing that M&M could have done - display how's much % DPF is blocked in real-time in the MID so that we don't have to bite our fingernails in anticipation of the dread!
Old 26th October 2021, 14:20   #2428
BHPian

Quote:
Right, that's another way you were performing manual REGEN while doing so and thats right thing to do in your situation and place you were driving to make sure one doesn't get stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The one thing that M&M could have done - display how's much % DPF is blocked in real-time in the MID so that we don't have to bite our fingernails in anticipation of the dread!
That would really be great! However, looks to be a long shot to get that kind of information on MID.
Do you know if the alerts on MID are being logged/saved somewhere? That can also provide some information on what alert generated and when.
If that is not there in the MID, I'm sure we should be able get to the alerts/err codes generated using a simple app + OBDII scanner to find out the history on REGEN alerts!

I'm going to repeat this question to see if I can get some responses on this.

I have received the VIN for my allocation today, the mfg month seems to be June this year and the sr# is 120xx. It's LX D AT HT Mys Cpr. I have asked sales rep about the reason, yet to hear another story in response.
Is this because of the chip shortage that the car may have parked in the factory for these many months? What are the other possibilities you can think of?
TIA

Last edited by Ketan : 26th October 2021 at 14:26.
Old 26th October 2021, 15:07   #2429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know if the alerts on MID are being logged/saved somewhere? That can also provide some information on what alert generated and when.
If that is not there in the MID, I'm sure we should be able get to the alerts/err codes generated using a simple app + OBDII scanner to find out the history on REGEN alerts!

I'm going to repeat this question to see if I can get some responses on this.

TIA
If it's an actual alert - it will show in the MID and ICE as well. If it's just a notification, then no. What I've seen in my Thar (related to DPF) are only alerts.

M&M ASS can plug in their Toughbook and check what's the % of clogging is though. I have not tried my OBC scanner yet to see if it shows.

For your question on June manufactured date - my bet is on chip/ ICE shortage. Do your PDI. Check for clean wheel arches and underbody, intact vent spews (those hair-like protrusions) and tyre's thread, engine bay, interiors etc. That'll tell if you're jeep moved around during these months.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 16:18   #2430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have received the VIN for my allocation today, the mfg month seems to be June this year and the sr# is 120xx.
A serial no. in the range of 12k and manufacturing month of June do not seem to add up! Reason - Mahindra started dispatching Thar's in October last year at and average rate of 2.5-3k per month. With this rate, the serial no. for a June 2021 manufactured Thar should be in the 20k range, at a minimum. Folks here who have got June 2021 manufactured Thar's can confirm this.

What are the 3 figures just before the 5 digit serial no.? It should be M2F if it is a Jun 2021 manufactured Thar - "M" for year 2021 and "F" for the month of June.

Last edited by cool_dube : 26th October 2021 at 16:19.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed