Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 13:52   #2446

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@PriyanshSpeaks, @Ketan - I hope you are not confusing the last digits of the VIN with the serial number of the Thar
====
. The 1798 will keep increasing with each Thar manufactured, but the VIN will not correlate with this, will depend on the rest of the VIN, that is, the month and year plus the unique ID (among other things).
I’m a little new to this, so I can’t really make the difference out. I’ll post my VIN details as I got in the same format below. You can pls verify and see if it’s a confusion.

Eng YFM4K52161
CH MA1UJ4YF7M2F10835
Old 27th October 2021, 14:14   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@PriyanshSpeaks, @Ketan - I hope you are not confusing the last digits of the VIN with the serial number of the Thar.

The serial number - which is the sequence number of the vehicle - has no relationship to the VIN's last 6 digit.

In my case, the VIN had a sequence of 44xxx as the last 6 digits. But my serial number is 001798. The 1798 will keep increasing with each Thar manufactured, but the VIN will not correlate with this, will depend on the rest of the VIN, that is, the month and year plus the unique ID (among other things).
Thanks, looking at the last 5 digit on your VIN, it seems it's not the serial number. However, I was referring to this article where Spike confirmed that in case of M&M the last 5 digits would represent vehicle serial number. My assumption on that was wrong in that case.

https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/find...facture-vin#p4

My ASM called me after I reported this to some M&M officials.
He asked me what are the challenges you think you'll face with the Jun mfg vehicle (they do have courage to ask this question for Thar, had this been another model, not moving in the market, they'd have some offers for picking the vehicle)! M&M is ready to provide you with the warranty from invoice date and assurance of the newness of the vehicle. He agreed to the fact that certain components like tyres would lose the prime operational life if not used over a period of time. He requested me to come and perform PDI and also the mfg dates on other parts and then take a call if I want to go ahead with this vehicle or reject it.
In case if I happen to go for the PDI, I shall take a look at the areas you indicated and think over it.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 14:45   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
In case if I happen to go for the PDI, I shall take a look at the areas you indicated and think over it.
My 2 cents. If in doubt, why not reject it outright. It may mean few more weeks of wait which in my mind is worth it for 15+ lakhs vehicle which I am sure you plan to keep for few years.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:07   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
My 2 cents. If in doubt, why not reject it outright. It may mean few more weeks of wait which in my mind is worth it for 15+ lakhs vehicle which I am sure you plan to keep for few years.
You're right, that makes a lot of sense. I have already asked for the next availability. I'm not planning to visit for the PDI as of now. I'm hoping M&M as a manufacturer may adopt some learning out of the episode. If not, we would continue to encounter such situations as consumers.
Getting closer to the anniversary celebration of the booking now!

Last edited by Ketan : 27th October 2021 at 15:09.
Old 27th October 2021, 15:55   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The serial number - which is the sequence number of the vehicle - has no relationship to the VIN's last 6 digit.
Ah! I guess this is root of all confusion! Thanks for clarifying, mate

Quote:
I was referring to this article where Spike confirmed that in case of M&M the last 5 digits would represent vehicle serial number
That's exactly what got me, too

Quote:
I have already asked for the next availability
I'd second that. Wait for a fresh piece, if you can. Wonder why would Mahindra ship a June manufactured car now? Are you sure it has not been lying with the dealer all this while?
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:11   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I'd second that. Wait for a fresh piece, if you can. Wonder why would Mahindra ship a June manufactured car now? Are you sure it has not been lying with the dealer all this while?
ASM is assuring that it's been billed in Oct and send to the channel partner in Oct only. I trust him on that, Dealership would have delivered that to me long back if they already had it! Or do you think it was with dealer for a while due to infotainment system not available reason or similar! I guess not! Dealer would have communicated that in that case is my assumption.

Last edited by Ketan : 27th October 2021 at 16:18.
Old 27th October 2021, 16:20   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriyanshSpeaks View Post
Eng YFM4K52161
CH MA1UJ4YF7M2F10835
M = 2021
F = June
Quote:
However, I was referring to this article where Spike confirmed that in case of M&M the last 5 digits would represent vehicle serial number. My assumption on that was wrong in that case.

https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/find...facture-vin#p4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That's exactly what got me, too

Spike's article, and Wildon's thread that it's based out of, is from 2010

Back then, we wouldn't have realised that there will be a serial number confusion. The article is correct, the last 5 digits of the VIN is the unique serial number from the manufacturer.

Here is my VIN plate, under the driver seat
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-vin-plate.jpg

The serial number we are confusing it with in 2020 / 21 is the sequence number (if I may rechristen it so) for the Thar, which is given in a separate plate near the glove box - like this:

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-1798.jpg

For both @Ketan and @PriyanshSpeaks - I don't think there is cause of concern and a detailed PDI will tell you if it's a go or no-go, but if the mfd month is bothering you, you should ask for a more recent vehicle even if it means a longer wait. Afterall, it's your ₹
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 10:15   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Now, 17.3 kmpl is a crazy mileage from Thar. Within city speeds of less than 50 kmph, of course!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211028_080623_capture.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 13:18   #2454
BHPian

Hello friends!

A friend’s new THAR has completed 1000 kms. But he is stuck in a different state/city without his owner’s service manual. What are the best options w.r.t. the 1st 1000 km service?

1. Make it a paid service (given there is no service manual) at the nearby service Center?
2. Make it a paid service after he gets back to his home city with the service manual? This would mean it’d have covered 2500+ kms by then.

How important is the 1000 km service? Is there a need for it to be done before 1200 km or so? Please suggest. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by TokyoDrifter : 28th October 2021 at 13:19.
Old 28th October 2021, 13:20   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
Hello friends!

A friend’s new THAR has completed 1000 kms. But he is stuck in a different state/city without his owner’s service manual. What are the best options w.r.t. the 1st 1000 km service?

1. Make it a paid service (given there is no service manual) at the nearby service Center?
2. Make it a paid service after he gets back to his home city with the service manual? This would mean it’d have covered 2500+ kms by then.

How important is the 1000 km service? Is there a need for it to be done before 1200 km or so? Please suggest. Thank you in advance.
You don't need the book to take it in for service in a MASS. Their system will tell the Service Advisor the details, and it'll be free.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 14:02   #2456
Senior - BHPian

Wow, you really seem to be enjoying the Pajero the way its supposed to be. Will take tips from you once I dip my toes into the offroading world.

The Ikon probably had done just over 100k or so, considering the Odo stopped working at 71K about 6-7 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks Samarth. Been good so far. Here's something in case you missed it :

That is indeed sad. We went through the same emotions when we decided to scrap our Ikon. How many kms had it done over the years?
Old 28th October 2021, 15:09   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
You don't need the book to take it in for service in a MASS. Their system will tell the Service Advisor the details, and it'll be free.
They are insisting for the 1st service coupon. Finally, we spoke to the BLR SA and he agreed to let us get the vehicle after Diwali (2000+ kms) for the 1st service check up. Hope they don’t spring any other surprises later on. Is there an upper limit in terms of mileage for the 1st service? (or any service for that matter)
Old 28th October 2021, 16:16   #2458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
They are insisting for the 1st service coupon. Finally, we spoke to the BLR SA and he agreed to let us get the vehicle after Diwali (2000+ kms) for the 1st service check up. Hope they don’t spring any other surprises later on. Is there an upper limit in terms of mileage for the 1st service? (or any service for that matter)
That is very surprising! Here's my service coupons - all intact, and I've done the 1,000 KM and 10,000 KM services already!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211028_1611332.jpg

I suggest that you get in touch with customer care - missing a service schedule *can* become grounds for rejecting warranty claims, though M&M is not as stringent as a few other MNCs in our country
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 00:55   #2459

@Ketan ji, I read over the PDI thread that you’re going for it tommrow, even im going for my thar’s PDI day after tommrow. As we know that we’re in the same boat of having June manufactured vehicles allotted to us it’ll be of great help if you post the PDI experience and details tommrow once done. It’ll help me more day after when I go to check my vehicle out. Thanks in advance
Old 30th October 2021, 04:21   #2460
Senior - BHPian

A special package from down south. Will be getting it installed after Diwali. This should hopefully sort things out a great deal and give my back some good comfort as well.
A review will be on order soon enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211029_131950.jpg  

navpreet318 is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed