Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2021, 21:45   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

The Thar came home this week, 27 days flat from booking to delivery! Absolutely loving the experience so far More details to follow...
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-t1.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 22:29   #2507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Thanks! Please let us know how it goes. A question to you and other fellow members. All these after market changes; will it have any impact on warranty? Even things like dashcams (front and rear) will need some modifications to wirings and fuses. I am wondering if it will have any bearing on warranty specifically for electricals and electronics.
Will surely update here. Don't know about aftermarket accessories shop, but I will never cut any wiring on my new car, although Scotch-lock splice connectors can be used for wire splicing and tapping power.
But using a fuse tap is much better, safer and reversible way to install accessories whenever possible.

Sadly even the Mahindra service center guys don't use splice connectors when installating the official reverse camera. I got mine installed but the software update of the Infotainment for reverse camera functioning was not successful. So, I will have to visit the service center again for that.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 6th November 2021 at 22:45.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 10:03   #2508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Just a small update, with a larger review soon to follow. Took delivery of my Thar LX Auto HT day before yesterday. Everything was super smooth at the dealership. I had booked the Thar in July and getting it so early was a pleasant surprise. *SNIP*
Congratlations. I have a few specific questions for you; and please do feel free to respond privately if you do not wish to share the answres here in the public forum:

1. Was your early delivery due to someone cancelling?

2. If yes, was your booking for the same colour and trim level or was it for a different colour? The reason I ask this speficially is because I was told by my dealer that I would be called only if someone cancelled the same variant I booked, including the same colour.

3. Did you get early delivery because you might be an influential / connected person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
The Thar came home this week, 27 days flat from booking to delivery! Absolutely loving the experience so far More details to follow...
Awaiting "More details to follow" eagerly! And to you too the same questions I asked @Kapany above

Cheers

Cheers
Old 7th November 2021, 11:28   #2509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Congratlations. I have a few specific questions for you; and please do feel free to respond privately if you do not wish to share the answres here in the public forum:

1. Was your early delivery due to someone cancelling?

2. If yes, was your booking for the same colour and trim level or was it for a different colour? The reason I ask this speficially is because I was told by my dealer that I would be called only if someone cancelled the same variant I booked, including the same colour.

3. Did you get early delivery because you might be an influential / connected person?

Awaiting "More details to follow" eagerly! And to you too the same questions I asked @Kapany above

Cheers

Cheers
Hi!
1. Yes I believe someone cancelled their booking in favour of the XUV 700.
2. The cancelled booking was in the exact trim I wanted.
3. I wish
Kapany is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 22:43   #2510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Got multiple quotes for the vents, they are overpriced at 15K,but the same vents are available at Aliexpress at less than half the price.
Thanks for the Ali Express tip! Is Ali Express shipping to India again?
Old 8th November 2021, 07:10   #2511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
Thanks for the Ali Express tip! Is Ali Express shipping to India again?
Unfortunately no. There is some work around, there are some websites (like import agent) which provides there Hong Kong address for us to use for buying from Aliexpress and the 3rd party finally ships the item from Hong Kong to India for extra charge. There is a discussion about these in another thread here in Team-bhp. (Search for buying from Aliexpress).

But we end up with a total cost that is not worth paying or waiting for.
You can get these AMG style vents for 12K from some vendors. That's the lowest I could find for.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 8th November 2021 at 07:12.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 11:13   #2512
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!
*SNIP*
2. The cancelled booking was in the exact trim I wanted.
*SNIP*
But was it also the same colour? That is the more important question.

Cheers
Old 8th November 2021, 12:03   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a small update, with a larger review soon to follow. Took delivery of my Thar LX Auto HT day before yesterday.
Congrats!! Is it diesel or petrol?

Quote:
Congrats!! Which variant is it and how did you manage the get a super fast delivery?
Old 8th November 2021, 12:12   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Congratulations! Enjoy the ride! Did you get any documentation for TCS from the dealer? Also, please share the list of accessories you have got. I will be interested in dash cam if you plan to go for one.
Thank you. I shall check this out, I don't think I have got any from dealer except the invoice where its mentioned. I shall recheck the documents I have received.
I went ahead with following for now.

- Wheel arch cladding
- Engine protector/guard
- Boot snack tray (I think it may be useful for camping trips, yet to see the practical use)
- Magnetic Sun Shade (set of 2)
- Bug deflector
- Mud flaps set, front+rear
- +2 years extended warranty

I forgot to add the radiator guard, thinking about better options after market or shall I take it from M&M
I also would be adding a better headlamps that is warm white for better visibility, working on the options.

Quote:
But was it also the same colour? That is the more important question.

Cheers
Based on what I have learnt, after the initial chaos they created with the deliveries, ASMs and M&M has been closely watching the vehicle allotment, one will get the benefit of someone cancelling only of the exact configuration + color matches, guess they have the SKUs for each of these combinations and one will get the exact SKU in case of it's being cancelled.
Now, you may have an option to change the booking to a configuration that is common, for e.g. black color. Cancellations are common since these are booked by many and you may get the benefit of it.
In my case of mystic copper color, it wasn't that common and I never got that opportunity of getting benefit of cancellations.

I have received the Thar last week, finally and had an opportunity to ride around a bit.
A couple of trips to Bangalore Airport, short weekend trip via NICE road was all I could put since I have got it.
I feel it rides well, not so bad. It's like the OnePlus, Never Settles when on uneven roads. However, I found it to be great on smooth surfaces, not much of difference when compared to my little experience of driving XUV 500. I'll be watching AVO suspension reviews and would like to get them if it makes it more planted.
I observe the wind noise, mostly from around roof area at front, though very little around 90kmph, I pushed it to 110 for a few times and the wind noise was slightly increased, not by great margin though. Good enough to convince myself on my decision of taking HT when I was looking to change the HT to CT but couldn't do it.

During my Airport trips day before, I heard the noise from the rear tyre and suspected it to be the stone stuck in the new treads. At the airport, I suddenly get the alert icon and I remember the icon from the manual, it was indicating low pressure, looked at the tiretronics and I see that left rear is loosing the pressure, it lost few more psi in next few minutes after I stopped. When I look at it, I see the nail.
Fortunately, I found a shop outside airport open at 1AM to fix this, to our surprise it was real huge one, wondering how exactly such a big one got in. Got it fixed with two strips in the same puncture that this thing made. Tiretronics alert was useful helped me locate the place to fix it in time, in worst case, I could have complete flat tyre and me stranded on the road at that odd hour with guests onboard.

I'm also thinking of PPF. I see the normal PPF may cost around 60-70K and if I decide to go with the pro series (3M) it may go even higher!
A couple things I'm looking at from PPF is protection + the matte finish would give a complete different look and feel/finish on Mystic Copper. Again, I'm thinking weather its worth spending so much for PPF on a vehicle that I may be roughing out with adventure trips in future. Inputs from experts are welcome on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211105_174124.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211105_174605.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211105_181449.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211107_224110.jpg  

Ketan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 12:55   #2515
BHPian

Dear Tilt, yes, it was the exact same colour I wanted-Napoli Black.
Dear Jaguar, thank you! It is the diesel variant.
Kapany is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 14:45   #2516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
However, I am full of doubts all of a sudden. Thar owners please help
Ride is okay, not very plush like a car or monocoque crossover, but not bad at all for a jeep. Second row does get a little more bumpy compared to the front. I would strongly suggest taking another test drive or two, till you are absolutely sure about your decision. INR 17-18 lac of one's hard-earned money is not an insignificant amount. As contemporary as the new Thar is claimed to be, it is still a 2-door jeep which cannot be (and should not be) compared to a "normal" car.

Quote:
Was your early delivery due to someone cancelling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Which variant is it and how did you manage the get a super fast delivery?
My Thar is LX Petrol AT CT. I was given a tentative waiting period of 3-4 months at the time of booking in early October. In fact, the reason I waited till October to book it was precisely to get delivery in 2022 but to my surprise, I was informed in third week of October that vehicle has been allocated against my booking and I will get delivery in early November! My (obvious) question to the dealer was about allocation against any cancellation and the dealer replied in negative. On further probing, I was told that petrol variants are being delivered within a month or two (also corroborated by delivery reports from other TBHP members on this thread) as production is more or less able to keep up with the demand, which is not the case with diesel variants. I did not bother to dig further as I was more than happy to get one within a month of booking The only fact I checked upon, and verified, was the month of manufacture being October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thank you. I shall check this out, I don't think I have got any from dealer except the invoice where its mentioned.
That is all you will get on this front. This will be linked to your PAN and can be claimed (if applicable) when you file your IT-returns for the year.

Quote:
Engine protector/guard
Never heard of this. Would you mind sharing more details, please?

Quote:
I also would be adding a better headlamps that is warm white for better visibility, working on the options.
Philips Xtreme Vision 55/60 is the best non-invasive option, as far as I know

Quote:
guess they have the SKUs for each of these combinations and one will get the exact SKU in case of it's being cancelled.
I guess you are right. The "allocation against cancellation" step now seems to have moved upstream in the process and is now being done by Mahindra itself, as opposed to leaving it to dealers' discretion. This could be the only plausible explanation for the super-fast delivery in my case.

Quote:
I'm thinking weather its worth spending so much for PPF on a vehicle that I may be roughing out with adventure trips in future.
I'd recommend against it, for the very reason you have mentioned A basic ceramic coating should be enough - will make regular cleaning a very easy job, while also protecting the paint from fading, bird-droppings, etc. for 2-3 years, if done well. Should not cost more than 12-14 k.
cool_dube is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:22   #2517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm also thinking of PPF. I see the normal PPF may cost around 60-70K and if I decide to go with the pro series (3M) it may go even higher!
A couple things I'm looking at from PPF is protection + the matte finish would give a complete different look and feel/finish on Mystic Copper. Again, I'm thinking weather its worth spending so much for PPF on a vehicle that I may be roughing out with adventure trips in future. Inputs from experts are welcome on this one.
Quote:
I'd recommend against it, for the very reason you have mentioned A basic ceramic coating should be enough - will make regular cleaning a very easy job, while also protecting the paint from fading, bird-droppings, etc. for 2-3 years, if done well. Should not cost more than 12-14 k.
First off, congrats on the new Thars! May the tribe grow

On PPF, here's my take -

My Thar is covered with PPF on the hood, front and rear fenders, the frame of the windshield (partial) A pillar, B pillar, both the left and right doors and edges of the rear door too - essentially, all painted surfaces except for the top part of the windshield frame, and the rear door.

I've documented this in my ownership thread for photos and references, but when I did my offroading last year, shrubs and even thorns on the path ended by making fine scratches on the paint (front fenders, doors, rear fenders), as well as leaving some marks on the plastic cladding over the wheel arches.

I had ceramic coating earlier, which cannot help in the wild. If your use-case involves off roading in rough/ unpredictable terrain, better do the PPF. It's cheaper to change a scratched PPF than rub and polish painted surfaces - and doing the rubbing polish repeatedly will damage the clear coat sooner than later.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2021, 16:31   #2518
BHPian

Guys, today during my afternoon drive from work to home, upon parking at my garage, I got a burning smell mostly around the rear wheels and exhaust area. What could be the issue?
On a side note, I have got the official Mahindra genuine rear camera installed at the Mahindra Service center although they couldn't install the software for the reverse camera display, which will be done later.

Could the burning smell come from a botched up wiring from the service center guys or any Brake issue with the rear drum brakes or its just the hot exhaust gases smell?

The smell is similar to burning rubber although mild

Last edited by dr_TJ : 8th November 2021 at 16:48.
Old 8th November 2021, 21:57   #2519

Took the delivery of My Thar D AT HT last week. Big thumbs up to @ketan ji for his elaborate PDI experience, mine was somewhat the same I guess we’ve got cars from the exact same lot. Also @ph03n!x your ownership thread kept me convinced to wait for my thar for 11 long months.
Completed close to 450kms already and it feels surreal.
PriyanshSpeaks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 01:18   #2520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm also thinking of PPF. .... I'm thinking weather its worth spending so much for PPF on a vehicle ...
I had put PPF on some critical areas like door sills, door edges, behind door handles and around ORVM to protect the paint from wearing out in these areas and it has served me well.

Full body PPF seems appropriate for very high end vehicles which come with multiple layers of paint and its difficult to get the factory like finish later on, even if it costs 1 to 2 lakhs is still miniscule compared to the cost of the vehicle.

Generally for regular vehicles, where the full body painting itself would cost less than a lakh, spending a lakh or more for PPF to protect the paint seems illogical.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 9th November 2021 at 01:21.
for_cars1 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks