Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2021, 07:29   #2566
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Though they are trained but I doubt the fit and finish will be as good as it comes out of the factory (though I may be wrong on this).
Thankfully Mahindra Thar's headunit fitment is extremely easy. Top panel to remove, four screws, then snap on the surrounding bezel of the HU.
Hardly a 15 mins job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am not sure what all accessories should I get from the showroom. Sales person was suggesting to go for the camera at least.

Will go through this thread but it has become very exhaustive. I will be keen to know the minimum accessories that we should pick from the dealership. It’s Diesel Auto - Hard Top
As per as Accessories are concern, I would suggest to get the Bug Deflector, don't know about others, but for me, the Bug Deflector is the single most important accessory cause it really deflects bugs on my Highway drives and helps to keep the windshield free of bugs mostly. Also the reverse camera is a good accessory to add.
All the rest of the accessories are just aesthetic addition, does not have much functional value. But I did add the black appliques on the rear lights and mirrors. I found them good looking.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 16th November 2021 at 07:31.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 08:53   #2567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Finally after waiting for around 11-1/2 months, our Thar came to the dealership.
Congratulations sir, good to know you also got a mighty Thar.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 17:00   #2568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Though they are trained but I doubt the fit and finish will be as good as it comes out of the factory (though I may be wrong on this).
Fitting HU and software update is just 30 minutes job. Even my Thar got it separately and was installed in dealer yard in front of me. No issue in fit and finish. Just plug, play and update software.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 17:20   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
It is probably Wrap. A friend got his Thar wrapped in white
Really hope someone from Mahindra is reading this and would add White to the colour options. The Thar looks great in white and will also have a sizeable demand to justify the cost for Mahindra.

Wraps and aftermarket paint jobs are doable but updating the RC is a pain.
jubingoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 14:46   #2570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubingoel View Post

Wraps and aftermarket paint jobs are doable but updating the RC is a pain.
This is so true. I wanted to get a Nardo Grey Matte wrap but kudos to the DL laws, no one is suggesting me to get a wrap done because of the ever desperate Police officials on the streets. Sadly, had to consider a Ceramic only.
aamishdhingra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 02:07   #2571
BHPian

I had this question for long term owners of Thar, during my short test-drive I found it comfortable both in the Driving Seat and at the back seat. I am 6'3 (92Kg), now that test drive was not for more than 15 minutes but did drive on the Highway and a really bad section of road with lots of undulations and pot-holes.

How is the long drive experience with Thar, like say someone wanting to do 600 to 800 kms in a day or like Ghat sections. This drive will be with another Adult and a kid (5 Years old). Space is one constraint that I find in Thar, apart from that, it checks all the boxes for me.
I know the comparison is awkward as they are build for different purposes altogether. These are the on-road prices in Chandigarh.

XUV700 AX5 Petrol AT - 17.09L
Thar LX Hard Top Petrol AT - 16.76L
Old 18th November 2021, 08:57   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Does Ecosense actually give you ratings based on your driving - considering you also have an AT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I will surely post a picture soon. Yes, Ecosense does give a rating for my driving on the HU.
Will click pictures and update here.
Quote:
Here is the Ecosense tab in my Car Info.

So, If they do update the software for my HU for the reverse camera functionality, Ecosense tab might get removed.
So as per my guess, with the software update done for the HU, reverse camera has functionality but the Ecosense tab on the HU is gone. Can be compared with my previous post a few days ago.

And meanwhile I have added the bug deflector, which I bought online from Mahindra's m2all. Installed it myself but found the edges of the deflector not aligning well with the bonnet edges. Needed some extra strips of 3M double sided tape.
The Bug deflector is surely a essential accessory
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-p_20211118_082621.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-p_20211110_15491001.jpeg  

Last edited by dr_TJ : 18th November 2021 at 08:59.
dr_TJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 11:31   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
So as per my guess, with the software update done for the HU, reverse camera has functionality but the Ecosense tab on the HU is gone. Can be compared with my previous post a few days ago.

*SNIP*
Hmm... I thought the TPMS would display the pressure and temps of all five wheels, but in the picture you atatched I only see "OK" and only four wheels).

Has there been any change thaty I missed reading about?

Thanks and cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 12:04   #2574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Has there been any change thaty I missed reading about?
You have to press the Show All button to display the detailed description about the pressure and temperature of each wheel. IIRC it doesn't show the details of the spare wheel, not sure though will check and let you know.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 12:09   #2575
VND
BHPian

The TPMS indeed shows the pressure and temperature of all four wheels, but you need to press show all tab for that.

Also does Thar have a TPMS sensor in spare wheel? I got a low pressure warning recently - picture attached and on checking found it was showing for the spare wheel, else normally it only shows for four wheels.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1140.jpg
VND is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 12:36   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Hmm... I thought the TPMS would display the pressure and temps of all five wheels, but in the picture you atatched I only see "OK" and only four wheels).

Has there been any change that I missed reading about?

Thanks and cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
You have to press the Show All button to display the detailed description about the pressure and temperature of each wheel. IIRC it doesn't show the details of the spare wheel, not sure though will check and let you know.

As said, we have to press Show all and it will display the Pressure and Temperature of 4 wheels. No such information is shown for the Spare wheel. Although I suppose, tiretonics will display an alert if the spare wheel has low pressure
dr_TJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 16:13   #2577
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's how a Mahindra Thar rescued a Land Rover Discovery in a snowy terrain. The author also says that the LR Discovery was stuck due to its driver's inexperience while negotiating the terrain and not due to any fault in the SUV :-

Quote:

It looks like the driver was not able to figure out where the road ended and drove it into the snow. The front of the SUV was in snow. A Toyota Fortuner driver had stopped to help them but, it looks like he did not have enough recovery equipment with him. Luckily, vlogger was prepared for such a situation and he has an electronic winch installed on Thar.

The snow had turned into ice and was wrapped around the the hook. He removed that and the rope was tied to the Land Rover Discovery. Vlogger then started to winch the Discovery out but, it was not an easy job. Land Rover Discovery is a heavy SUV and the surrounding was filled with snow. Vlogger suddenly realised that his Mahindra Thar was starting slip forward as he was trying to winch in the Discovery.

He then asked the Fortuner driver to bring couple of rocks. They found some rocks and put them in front of the tyres and then started to winch the Discovery again. Luckily, the Discovery had just slipped away from the road and had not received any damage. Once the SUV was out, vlogger continued his journey.

The Land Rover Discovery is a brilliant SUV both on and off the road. In this case, the car did not get stuck in the snow because of its own fault. It was actually the driver’s inexperience that lead to this. Driving in snow is very tricky. Specially when there is a fresh fall. The roads can be slippery and one should always stay alert and drive slow on the snow. Braking on snow is also a tricky thing as the chances of loosing grip and control over the vehicle are very high.
The link:-

https://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-thar...stuck-in-snow/

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th November 2021 at 16:14.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 22:36   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Here's how a Mahindra Thar rescued a Land Rover Discovery in a snowy terrain. The author also says that the LR Discovery was stuck due to its driver's inexperience while negotiating the terrain and not due to any fault in the SUV :-

The link:-

https://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-thar...stuck-in-snow/
I have been following Dinesh Chahal's vlogs, DCV Expeditions is the name of the Channel. Like his overlanding setup on his Thar. This Discovery incident was when he was on his way to Tso Moriri. After recovering the Discovery, His Thar also got stuck and somehow he was able to get it right.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 09:23   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
This is an update on my quoted post from few days ago..
Hi Anshuman, I had the opportunity to drive Leela's Thar yesterday for a good amount of time and it is a major difference in the ride quality, composure of the car and precision of the steering control is superb.

The way the car handles and the driving dynamics is a huge improvement, for sure.

I have placed the order for mine

To put it in Rohit's words, consider it as a sunk cost in the overall cost of the car, but one that is going to be appreciated everytime you take the car out!!
getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 16:10   #2580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Anshuman, I had the opportunity to drive Leela's Thar yesterday for a good amount of time and it is a major difference in the ride quality, composure of the car and precision of the steering control is superb.

The way the car handles and the driving dynamics is a huge improvement, for sure.

I have placed the order for mine

To put it in Rohit's words, consider it as a sunk cost in the overall cost of the car, but one that is going to be appreciated everytime you take the car out!!
Did you by any chance ask what was the setting which was being run in that particular thar. Looking forward to different permutations and combinations.

Did a hard run to mussoorie and back today. If this is how well it handles at a soft setting as mine how I wish there were super smooth roads and I would have run it at full stiff setting. Full on rally car...ahem...jeep!

Hahaha. I'm having fun though!
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks