Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2021, 18:08   #2581
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Did you by any chance ask what was the setting which was being run in that particular thar. Looking forward to different permutations and combinations.

Did a hard run to mussoorie and back today. If this is how well it handles at a soft setting as mine how I wish there were super smooth roads and I would have run it at full stiff setting. Full on rally car...ahem...jeep!

Hahaha. I'm having fun though!
It is running on 12 in the front and 13 in the rear. Today also was lot of fun throwing around the Thar and it does handle well!!
getsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 09:41   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

We had a great offroading time yesterday with none other than Mr. LeelaKrishnan of Arka Motorsports.

Some hillocks, trail driving, slush, donuts, laps etc. were the order of the day! We couldn't have asked for a better day than this with great weather, amazing experts to guide, awesome food on the farm and an exhilarating experience to take back the memories!!

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-photo_1637553802748.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-photo_1637553763748.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-photo_1637548128821.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211121_213255_642.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-xbftve.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211121_213255_568.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:10   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Made a small change to the front suspension. Went from 11 to 13 towards the softer setup. The difference is very noticeable! The front has gone soft and is gliding over undulations. The sideways rocking which was reduced even earlier is now gone down to nearly unnoticeable levels. Planning to change the rear setting to 15 in a day or so.

This suspension is truly worth its value! Very Happy with it now!

But as the laws of nature goes, when one flaw is removed, the other ones which were previously masked by it are revealed! The seat!
That seat is uncomfortable. Period.
Frankly just headbanging right now as to how to go about changing the seat to a more comfortable one! And that too with an engineered solution and not a "jugaad" using welds and cuts!
navpreet318 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:54   #2584
BHPian

Quote:
Made a small change to the front suspension. Went from 11 to 13 towards the softer setup. The difference is very noticeable! The front has gone soft and is gliding over undulations. The sideways rocking which was reduced even earlier is now gone down to nearly unnoticeable levels. Planning to change the rear setting to 15 in a day or so.

This suspension is truly worth its value! Very Happy with it now!
Thanks for the update and details. How much improvement you see in the constant bobbling in the high way / smooth roads? Thar in the stock form handles the bad roads well but doing poor in the smooth roads.

Also, any reference in Chennai where I can get a drive experience before making the decision?
Old 22nd November 2021, 16:40   #2585
BHPian

Hey Guys,

My Diesel AT Thar, completed a little over 7.5k kms in 3 months exact and I would like to share few experiences:

1. Constant niggles: May it be something related to brakes or the Transmission, I've had the niggles crop up in my car for over 8 times till now, and the car visits the workshop almost every fortnight for repeat order repair.

2. Transmission Issue: My car was just 1k kms done and the 4X4 used to get selected automatically in the electronics, the car was at the workshop for over 4 days and it seemed to be alright post that.

3. Convertible Top Changed: Only when my car was run for <1k kms, the top started to tear off from the left hinge, 25 days later the part arrived and in 2 days it was fixed.

Some +ve's:

1. Exceptional Road Presence
2. Mod it as much as you can/like it: Its a car which can get heavily modded so as per your preference and budget, get the mods rolling.
3. No more bad road nightmares.
4. Catches way more eyeballs than a regular Merc/Audi would.

Some -ve's:

1. Braking is too unpredictable.
2. Mahindra's ASS is a pain.
3. No basic kit (Projectors, LED's, Armrest's, etc.
4. Gets too bouncy at times.

Would consider writing a detailed ownership review soon!
aamishdhingra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 18:31   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Folks,

We had a great offroading time yesterday with none other than Mr. LeelaKrishnan of Arka Motorsports.

Some hillocks, trail driving, slush, donuts, laps etc. were the order of the day! We couldn't have asked for a better day than this with great weather, amazing experts to guide, awesome food on the farm and an exhilarating experience to take back the memories!!

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Lovey pics! Looks like a super day! Just one question, How are the maxxis tires? Worth the upgrade or do you think the stock mrf/ ceat are good enough?
Bfgs have become unicorns in Bangalore. Can’t source them without paying an arm and a leg.
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 22:42   #2587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Lovey pics! Looks like a super day! Just one question, How are the maxxis tires? Worth the upgrade or do you think the stock mrf/ ceat are good enough?
Bfgs have become unicorns in Bangalore. Can’t source them without paying an arm and a leg.
Thank you, it was an amazing day!

I like the Maxxis on my Thar, they hold well and do help in a better drive. I'm totally happy with them. I have BFGs on my Fortuner and love them to the core!!
Old 22nd November 2021, 22:51   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That seat is uncomfortable. Period.
Frankly just headbanging right now as to how to go about changing the seat to a more comfortable one! And that too with an engineered solution and not a "jugaad" using welds and cuts!
I was told by someone who has been associated with Mahindra for long that the XUV 500 seats can be fitted in Thar without much welds and cuts, the way you prefer. Those seats are much better I guess.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:18   #2589
BHPian

I have a rattling issue from the rear of my Thar. Service center guys are not able to locate the point of rattle. I also tried to locate the source but no luck.
The rattle sounds like a clicking sound like something is hitting the rear glass.

With music playing and the Blower setting on 1, at highway speeds, the rattle is not annoying but at city speeds, the rattling sound gets quite annoying.
Anyonelse is having a similar rattling issue, any solution?
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:32   #2590
BHPian

Just came across this article while reading online news.

Mahindra Thar Sent For Boot Repair Found Without Dashboard & Steering

https://www.carblogindia.com/mahindr...oard-steering/
Pulse500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 16:28   #2591
VND
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I have a rattling issue from the rear of my Thar. Service center guys are not able to locate the point of rattle. I also tried to locate the source but no luck.
The rattle sounds like a clicking sound like something is hitting the rear glass.

With music playing and the Blower setting on 1, at highway speeds, the rattle is not annoying but at city speeds, the rattling sound gets quite annoying.
I am also facing the same issue, have a rattling noise from right rear end of the car. I was with the service team when they were trying to figure it out but no luck, we spent close to 3-4 hours finding it. They said they need the car for a full day to figure out what the rattling noise is and from where is it coming.

P.S. This was at my 1000 kms service after that I have driven 2000 kms more and I am of the opinion that it's coming from rear seat or from it's mechanism. Time will tell
VND is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 16:53   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VND View Post
I am also facing the same issue, have a rattling noise from right rear end of the car. I was with the service team when they were trying to figure it out but no luck, we spent close to 3-4 hours finding it. They said they need the car for a full day to figure out what the rattling noise is and from where is it coming.

P.S. This was at my 1000 kms service after that I have driven 2000 kms more and I am of the opinion that it's coming from rear seat or from it's mechanism. Time will tell
Yes, Right rear. I have noticed the rattle since my 1000 km service. It was mostly very mild. Then I did a 500 kms trip on our bad roads. And got my reverse camera installed on my 1000 kms service. Now the rattle is quite annoying.
I think adding some foam between the tailgate and the glass might help to some extend.
Do update if you get any solution.
Old 24th November 2021, 14:44   #2593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post

Hi, I am not an expert but I owned a Honda City and I used to get a rattling sound from the seat wen it was empty as the seats channels got loose but when somone was sitting in the seat there was no noise. I have experienced the same in my Innova as well. I would request you to check if you are getting the same sound when the seat is empty or even when someone is seated on the same.
vinay.makhija is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 15:48   #2594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse500 View Post
Just came across this article while reading online news.

Mahindra Thar Sent For Boot Repair Found Without Dashboard & Steering

https://www.carblogindia.com/mahindr...oard-steering/
I saw this article too. I was planning to book my Thar from Koncept Delhi but now I'm not so sure. Will probably go for the dealers in Gurgaon or Faridabad.
Old 24th November 2021, 18:47   #2595
BHPian

Hey I wanted to check if any of the Thar users have used it as a regular car with a newborn? I have a 2 month old baby and want to buy this car for my wife. But wanted to check if it really is practical with a baby, including using a car seat in the Thar.

Any advice/suggestions would be great.
Thanks guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks