Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:48   #2716
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Hey, I am in the same wait as you, but diesel. Please contact Futurz India 4x4 they are the official dealer / distributor for Bimbra accessories. you can Whats app them and they will send you the catalogue along with rates including fitment charges. The number for them is +91 99305 43533.
Thanks jayeshdamle for sharing the above details. I'm glad to know that Bimbra has a dealer in Mumbai. We should totally catch up once we both have our respective Thar's. Cheers

Last edited by Nair.V8 : 22nd December 2021 at 11:53.
Old 22nd December 2021, 13:40   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Thanks jayeshdamle for sharing the above details. I'm glad to know that Bimbra has a dealer in Mumbai. We should totally catch up once we both have our respective Thar's. Cheers
Enjoy the ride! Thar is so much fun to drive. I have never been so much eager to drive. If you have Thar in your garage, you will find yourself itching to get behind the wheels!!
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 15:26   #2718
BHPian

In a very spontaneous purchase, booked last week and got this beauty delivered yesterday.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar.jpeg
the pony is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 20:19   #2719
Distinguished - BHPian

Does Pratap Bose’s Christmas themed Mahindra Thar render hints at minor tweaks in the offing?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 15:20   #2720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
In a very spontaneous purchase, booked last week and got this beauty delivered yesterday.

Attachment 2248407
You got it delivered within a week? How?
Old 25th December 2021, 17:23   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
Congrats! Wish you a niggle free experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
You got it delivered within a week? How?
It seems to be a petrol one.

P.S: When will MY '22 start reaching dealerships? Any idea?

Last edited by batish : 25th December 2021 at 17:28.
Old 26th December 2021, 14:11   #2722
BHPian

I booked Thar 4WD DSL AT HT almost a month and half back. Yesterday M&M called and confirmed that they received the payment! Wow! I asked casually about the delivery time and I was told 40 to 48 weeks!

I did a test drive of Soft Top Petrol AT. Thumbs down on various aspects. Soft top makes flapping noise once it cross 100 or so kmph. It is very annoying. It has a disturbing bumpy high speed ride but a pliant low speed ride (40 kmph or less). This is a wide and tall car but short length is a bit awkward. Seating is very tight. My knees and big feet are cramped like hell. My feet with chappals are struggling to move between break pedal and gas pedal. I was so careful not to get caught in between. FYI, I drive a 2019 Wrangler 4 door as well, so, Wrangler feels luxurious when it comes to space. Ride is no way pliant compared to Innova, Prado or Jeep Wrangler (all I own). I might be cancelling my booking. I yet to drive a Diesel Auto Hard Top. But I am not optimistic about the space and ride quality. I really wonder what kind of brains in M&M designed the ergonomics and safety in this car. M&M wasted a great opportunity here.
This is a value buy if it is priced around 12 lakhs on road. 18 lakhs is no way worth with so much deficiencies. I really wonder how these video reviews show the ride so smooth and pliant. It is unbearable once we cross a respectable speed even in the flat surface. I did not have time to check the air in the tires. Did others feel same way? I need to confirm this before I cancel the booking.

I will look for Fortuner, that is what I have decided now. Please test drive and make the call. How the older Thars (which crossed at least 20,000 kms) behave with the suspension need to be seen. Mahindra's ride quality issues continues still. Not interested in XUV 700 though.

Last edited by sgmuser : 26th December 2021 at 14:13.
sgmuser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 09:07   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
I booked Thar 4WD DSL AT HT almost a month and half back. Yesterday M&M called and confirmed that they received the payment! Wow! I asked casually about the delivery time and I was told 40 to 48 weeks!
With so much of negative vibes about the Thar, I am still wondering why you are not cancelling your booking immediately. I feel the Jeep Wrangler would be a better option for your here.

Meanwhile, I have completed 7K Kms of fuss free ownership with my HT D AT and had a great time with this well built machine. My wife and I had a great time exploring the ghats, beaches, mountains and plains and a trip to Jaisalmer is already in the plans by mid of Jan.

Thanks

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th December 2021 at 16:02. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please quote the content selectively as a long quoted post inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
highwaypatrol is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 10:57   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
With so much of negative vibes about the Thar, I am still wondering why you are not cancelling your booking immediately. I feel the Jeep Wrangler would be a better option for your here. Thanks
These are all my observations as a prospective owner. As I mentioned I need to test drive a HT DSL Auto yet. I will make a call once it is done. But for now, I am not expecting a miracle. These ride quality issues and space constraints are mentioned in TBHP initial observations as well and I wondered why a new product is written off so quickly. But I realize those feedbacks are spot on. Please do not get offended as you own it. People have different preferences. For me, the ride quality and space are of at most priority in a vehicle especially when we pay equivalent to a Innova price! Please mention a bit about the ride quality of your vehicle which can help us all prospective buyers.

Last edited by sgmuser : 27th December 2021 at 10:58. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 11:40   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
Please mention a bit about the ride quality of your vehicle which can help us all prospective buyers.
I own a Petrol HT AT. Ride quality is sorted on good roads till 80-100 Kmph. On bad roads, ride is unsettled. If you get damping done along with good quality audio system upgrade, NVH at higher speeds is taken care of.

If you have read the original reviews from GTO, he was spot on when he mentioned that people moving from Scorpio and equivalent will not find any issues. Same here. I own a Scorpio and for me it was not an issue. However, if you start comparing with Innova, Wrangler, Fortuner, Prado!!; you will be disappointed. Anyone who can afford Wrangler need not look at Thar in my opinion.

Also, not sure how did you arrive at the conclusion that this new product is written off. There are multiple review from owners in this thread and elsewhere in this forum. Please go through them and you will get to know good, bad and ugly aspects of this vehicle.

Last edited by alokk0912 : 27th December 2021 at 11:45.
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 12:28   #2726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For me, the ride quality and space are of at most priority in a vehicle especially when we pay equivalent to a Innova price! Please mention a bit about the ride quality of your vehicle which can help us all prospective buyers.
You are going to end up with the wrong vehicle if you compare this way. If you want the best ride quality while having offroad capability, try to find a less used Ford Endeavor. A Wrangler would cost as much as a luxury car or more, what would you rather have? Remember, Wrangler will not ride as well in India as you have experienced abroad.

Thar is something you buy because you want it, because you can handle it and the attention it brings. Yes it wont ride well like an Innova but if you can learn to drive it without causing discomfort to yourself or to your passengers , Thar will be THE vehicle you would pick up to drive regardless of how many more expensive vehicles you have in your garage.

Test drive the petrol AT, hard core diesel fans are happily burning a hole in their wallet for the love of driving it.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 13:41   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are all my observations as a prospective owner.
Hey mate! I'm writing this as I'm watching my Thar getting serviced for the 20,000 KM 3rd service - I also have a ownership thread, that has a bunch of updates pending though. I'm saying all of this to give you a context.

From what you're experiencing, I'd say Thar is not the right vehicle for you. If you still want a jeep-ish vehicle, maybe test drive the Force Gurkha to see if the negatives you've felt about the Thar gets offset there.

The ride is not compliant, yes - but Arka Motorsports/ AVO UK has a brilliant aftermarket strut and spring replacement that has worked very well for me and a few others in controlling the body roll across the speedo range - I've run about 2000 KM with this suspension so far.

The space is not as much as the other cars you've listed - but that's precisely the point. This is a more livable/ usable CJ3B/ MM5x0/ Classic. This is not comparable to an Innova or Endy or Wrangler - all of them are a couple of sizes bigger. Again, if you desire a SUV like the Thar but need more space, check out the Gurkha - BHPian Manuuj has a brilliant ownership thread too.

But over 20k KM and one year, I've had nothing but smiles plastered on my face over all my travels - on and off-road - with the Thar. Mine is a convertible top, Diesel auto - and I'll have had no other, that's the only model/ variant I wanted. The Thar for me is exactly what the Gurkha is not - an open top SWB, comparatively narrow-bodied jeep, that has creature comforts and reliability for daily use. The other cars in my garage can take care of the creature comforts, but my daily drive pick is invariably my Thar.

If the Thar is not what you want, then don't try to accommodate it - it's not an easy car to adjust with if you don't love it head over heels

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th December 2021 at 13:44.
ph03n!x is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 14:06   #2728
Senior - BHPian

I'll just chime in with the ride and handling point.
I've now moved the front to 13 and rear to 15 on the softer side on the AVO Suspension and my Jeep is almost like a car now. Very comfortable. Handles amazing as well! I'm just shocked what a good well tuned suspension can do for something like the Thar!
I consider the Suspension cost as the vehicle cost now. If anyone wants to buy a Thar or a Fortuner or a Jeep, money has to be kept aside for a suspension upgrade. It makes life so much easier!
It is my daily drive. I have done a number of mods to personalize it to my style and use and I'm frankly loving it.

For the kind of money I've spend to fulfill my jeep ownership dream, I'm a happy man!
I have test driver the Jeep wrangler as well and frankly I'll be happier in the over priced Fortuner at 46L than that 70L rupee Jeep!
navpreet318 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 15:33   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The ride is not compliant, yes - but Arka Motorsports/ AVO UK has a brilliant aftermarket strut and spring replacement that has worked very well for me and a few others in controlling the body roll across the speedo range - I've run about 2000 KM with this suspension so
Thanks for reminding about AVO suspension. I called them up but never followed up to get it. Will get this to closure this time.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 15:34   #2730
BHPian

Hi friends, I also went for a spontaneous purchase of Thar. Got the petrol auto top end version. As someone who has almost exclusively driven luxury diesel sedans (Audi/Jaguar), this was a pleasant surprise!

I got the car delivered in about 48 hours of placing the order.

Till date I have covered about 400km and am surprised with the sheer grunt in the engine. There are plenty of niggles but I think this will be a great 3/4th car in any stable

The FE is nothing great to write about. Body roll is significant. Front lights are mediocre. Brakes will take some getting used to.

BUT

the road presence gives all pseudo SUVs (hatches on steroids) and most real SUVs a run for their money! The driving stance is undeniably aggressive. Drove the car at decent speeds on bad Gurgaon roads with zero issues. Apple CarPlay meets my base tech requirement.

Cant wait to test the car's off-road limits. As of I think, this car is great value for money at this price point!

PS: Am new to Gurgaon/NCR, would request for recommendations on trusted shops for getting some practical modifications installed (headlamp upgrade, armrest, seat bags, front sensors, mild speak upgrade, undercarriage protection)

Happy driving!
Rohan
rohan.xj is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks