Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2020, 21:00   #271
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I chose the DVR+Rear-view camera over the OE accessory because even the rear-view during normal driving is also hindered by the spare-wheel, and this give the flexibility of having a IRVM that gives me unhindered view
Oh yes, you have a point there. I think I will also go this way if and when I get the Thar.

Going by the way the expected date is changing I am sure I won't wait and end up getting either the Trailhawk or the likely to be launched D-Max. As such both of them trump the Thar when it comes to comfort and handling. This time wanted an all Indian vehicle but seems that's not going to happen.

Hope Mahindra & Mahindra is really going through Team-BHP. What a fiasco. Even a custom ordered Merc or any such vehicle would get delivered in less than 8 months.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th November 2020 at 18:42. Reason: SMS lingo, non-forum smileys
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 06:36   #272
BHPian

I think only once the deliveries start will the system get streamlined. If it still persists and they are able to deliver only a few variants then the issue is primarily the supply chain.

Lets wait and see. Anyway their commitment was to start deliveries from today.

I am also hoping Isuzu launches the Vcross as we have Road Tax benefit in Andhra Pradesh. I might take that benefit if Vehicle is there before March 2021
Old 1st November 2020, 07:45   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Lets wait and see. Anyway their commitment was to start deliveries from today.
I was at a dealer yesterday (not for Thar) and asked the sales manager on what's up with Thar and will delivery start from Today. He said absolutely not and not sure either when it would start. Sometime in November is what he says. Nether M&M have given a date yet to them.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 08:20   #274

Anyone else with any update on their Thar deliveries for this month? My sales advisor(Mahindra Kochi) says they haven't received any cars yet.
iamjoelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 09:27   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoelj View Post
Anyone else with any update on their Thar deliveries for this month? My sales advisor(Mahindra Kochi) says they haven't received any cars yet.
I spoke with the dealer here in Pune and he confirmed that my delivery date remains unchanged (Jan 21, booking Oct 3rd) and also that they have received no cars yet for delivery. He doesn’t have any idea when they would arrive either. He did mention though they are expecting the diesel auto TD vehicle in about a week.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 11:43   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

I am also hoping Isuzu launches the Vcross as we have Road Tax benefit in Andhra Pradesh. I might take that benefit if Vehicle is there before March 2021
That makes the 2 of us,even i am waiting for the vcross launch now. Mahindra is looking more like a circus now dealers clueless mahindra clueless and customers at their mercy. My CPD is now pushed to march, i told the sales rep am in no rush i want delivery on diwali next year
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 17:29   #277
BHPian

Finally Aakash Minda gets the delivery. Heard that Thar deliveries started in Delhi. No update in Gujarat. Even dealer allotment has not started. Word from SA is the dealer allotment in Gujarat begins post 7th November. Poor management by Mahindra i guess so can't faulth dealers.

Below is the link to the tweet. Also attached pictures.

https://twitter.com/Mahindra_Thar/st...396103168?s=20

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-elu_4mhvkaakcsb.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-elu_4mmu8aaexzc.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-elu_4mdu8aegg33.jpeg
SportsMedicine is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 19:07   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Thar #1 has been picked up by the owner Mr. Aakash Minda. A Copper coloured Convertible Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-5f6583359fd14245ba456bc86e6fe746.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f431234f390e47f6b4dda173df920049.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-3f64a51312134083b9f2ab40d45ec6dd.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-41ed704d56be47c5b2af8769230da156.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-a0875e60523e4c09b1902f13e4f20be5.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fa9941d69a0949458af40d031e2f6b52.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-dbf6756a420248de9fb6384780e9bca8.jpeg  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 1st November 2020 at 19:10.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 20:54   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Thar #1 has been picked up by the owner Mr. Aakash Minda. A Copper coloured Convertible Thar.
Feel good for those expecting early deliveries- Mr Minda waited for a month after paying 1.1Cr.
Rajiv0909 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 21:16   #280
BHPian

I am already developing cold feet with my booking. So far, no sign of the test drives of Diesel-Automatic variant in Bangalore. The dealer promised delivery date is 15-Jan. One good thing is that it gives me enough time to really make up my mind. So, it’s not bad at all.
Wife is completely at odds with me for buying the Thar.
Meanwhile, I have now set my sights on the Harrier now. A final decision will be made in Jan though.

The rationale for considering the Thar is well, just my heart and the way it looks and the feeling that you get owning a proper 4x4 SUV; a once in a lifetime kind of feeling, which is also coming at an affordable price tag.
I am not sure how much of those off-roading abilities I will be utilizing. I have this feeling that the “kick” will eventually wear out as Thar is just too rudimentary.

Wife is extremely happy with Harrier and my 10 year old daughter was straight in heaven experiencing the panoramic sunroof.

Thar would only remain in my dreams and I guess it’s not going to be that bad after all.

Anybody else in a similar boat?
hellraizer is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:05   #281
Senior - BHPian

ok so a quick review from a short test drive of maybe 10 kms.

1. I drove the Thar purposely over bad roads to get a feedback. There is negligible bounciness as far as I am concerned atleast in the front seats. The suspension is stiff & hard and tuned for offroad so there is going to be some transmission of road undularity into the front seats, but it is well below what my punto with 14in stock wheels transmit. And the punto is pretty good over rough roads. I know it is a chalk and cheese comparison but presently that is my context.

The rear seats are exactly above the rear tyres and the bounciness over bad patches can be felt more over there. But it is far diminished on rough roads, broken roads and over potholes than what you would get sitting in a car with 14 inch wheels.

2. The tyres These tyres are huuge. They are even bigger than fortuner tyres. On small narrow roads you could even hit a small dog or cat and this huge tyre will just eat everything up like a tank and driver may not even notice it. The additional factor of the front bumper being taller and higher up in the Thar than other SUVs is what needs consideration by the driver. One needs to be very careful and alert esp with small children walking on roads. They have a tendency to dart across from one side to another. This thing can gulp anything under it esp since and the driver may not even come to know about it.

3. The brakes The brakes have some initial play to them before they start to bite. My test drive Thar had run just 3500 kms. So reports of brakes being spongy may be true on some higher mileage models. Service due lamp was lit on in this vehicle as well. So maybe brakes due to be serviced.

4. The seats They are narrow. No two ways about it. But the saving grace is the lumbar support on both the driver and the passenger seat. That is what will save the day for most. I had to push the driver seat back quite a bit just like in the punto to get a comfortable driving position. I feel most people will be able to get a comfortable position. The shortest of drivers like 5'5 and below may just find the Thar to be a bit claustrophobic with the high dashboard and black interiors all around. For the rest it will be ok once the beast gets moving.

5. The engine Quiet. What a quiet and refined engine it is. Hardly diesel like. Very smooth and very good acceleration, pick up, power etc. Can overtake anything, one just needs to be mindful of the size of this thing.

6. Visibility Visibility from drivers seat is very good. Both corners of front bonnet are visible. Flared out fenders need to be kept in mind while navigating tight traffic. Rear is somewhat visible and taking a reverse is a hit or miss game without a reverse camera.

7. Airconditioning This is a chiller and fan speed 1 is more than enough for most conditions. A seperate rear vent is not required because the rear seats are pretty well located with a large gap between driver & passenger seats.

Some other observations

For placing more than 2 large suitcases the rear seats may have to be removed all together. Because even when folded up putting luggage on the seats is going to be risky because of the soft materials used behind rear seats, those can easily tear while taking luggage in and out.

The manual gearshift. I kept slotting into 1st gear instead of 3rd, and it may take getting used to. Didn't get a chance to engage the fifth or sixth gear. The Thar may be bouncier at those speeds owing to the stiff suspension set up.

The fuel tank manual opener. Apparently is a safety feature given on pure offroaders because the spring loaded opener that remote unlocks the fuel hatch can come loose during a sharp shock during offroad trails and leave the lid open. Maybe mahindra should give a remote unlock as accessory esp in these covid ridden times. The fuel lid manual lock can be used in pure offroaf conditions and as a backuo to the manual key unlock. Another accessory opportunity for Mahindra.

Rear seats are not just for kids unlike old Thar, they are also for any adult that can manage the acrobatics across to the rear from the front passenger seat after climbing the side step. It's not an easy task and anybody over 60 is bound to curse the driver if they have to do this task repeatedly. So please do not sell your primary family carriers for the Thar. They have their place just as the Thar has its.

Once you haul yourself into the front seats the view is commanding. Everything else is a midget and even state road transport corporation bus drivers give you respect as you look them in the eye and auto drivers just swing out of your way at just a rev of the engine. For most normal car drivers this one feature is going to be an ultimate power trip and ego booster. But just remember to keep that high bumper and huge tyres in mind lest one rolls over some small cat or dog or even a child playing on road sides.

Last edited by lurker : 2nd November 2020 at 11:15.
lurker is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:58   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
I am already developing cold feet with
Meanwhile, I have now set my sights on the Harrier now. A final decision will be made in Jan though.

I am not sure how much of those off-roading abilities I will be utilizing. I have this feeling that the “kick” will eventually wear out as Thar is just too rudimentary.

Hi HellRaiser - My delivery date is towards end Jan too. The dealer told me that he’ll be expecting 15-20% cancellations and the date can be advanced. I didn’t believe so many bookings will be cancelled, but after reading your post , I guess there may be a lot thinking the way you did.

I was in your exact thinking 10 years back and bought a Tata safari then. It still didn’t satiate then.

My wife and I both used to look at the Thar each time we spot one on the roads. It’s only now that I’m very clearly and eagerly decided to buy and waiting to own one.

Congrats for the Harrier. I’m sure the Thar will continue to lure you.

(Ps: I won’t complain of Bangalore bookings being cancelled. Selfishly, it helps with my early delivery. )
jkrishnakj is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:11   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi HellRaiser - My delivery date is towards end Jan too. The dealer told me that he’ll be expecting 15-20% cancellations and the date can be advanced. I didn’t believe so many bookings will be cancelled, but after reading your post , I guess there may be a lot thinking the way you did.

(Ps: I won’t complain of Bangalore bookings being cancelled. Selfishly, it helps with my early delivery. )
Ha ha Even my dealer says there will be a quite a few cancellations due to the undue and unexplained delay from Mahindra.

My EDD has moved away by almost 5 months from mid-December to early May. Had tweeted at various places and today got a call from Mahindra explaining about the 22-28 week wait for the HT variant and some more stories. I vented out all my disgust and am feeling a little better now.

But at the end of the day, it all gives adequate time to the heart to settle down and the mind takes over. Have gone and test driven the Compass and a friend's V-Cross. Liked the V Cross (less for the size though).

I am sure a lot of us would be in the same boat here and out of the Team-BHP fraternity. Mahindra surely has got it all wrong and going to earn a bad reputation and loss of business after this episode.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th November 2020 at 19:34. Reason: SMS lingo, grammar
techfreak is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:37   #284
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Reading about May deliveries sure makes those of us on a self-imposed 1 - 2 year waiting period feel a tad better! But guys, seriously. That's probably a blessing in disguise. If history has taught us 2 things, they are:

1. India can kick the British out without using violence.

2. A matured Mahindra / Tata product is better than a fresh one. The more you wait, the better the car gets.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:15   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
Wife is extremely happy with Harrier and my 10 year old daughter was straight in heaven experiencing the panoramic sunroof.

Thar would only remain in my dreams and I guess it’s not going to be that bad after all.

+1

I am sure the boat is going to fill up very soon with the delivery fiasco that Mahindra has created with Thar.

Although, i have kept on hanging to my conviction for now, the delay in delivery rubs off the heart over mind victory. Just yesterday I was watching the endeavour review and my wife was like... "this is wow" and I was "yes, but OTR 44 lacs". Lucky for me. But true, the panaromic sunroof and much lesser compromise on creature comforts on other vehicles makes many question the Thar purchase.
And then many posts oozing rationality on this thread itself (no offence, they are genuine).

The issue is, for many like me, this might be the closest you get to owning a Thar and putting it to use for its worth. Some of us are at the juncture in life where every month's delay counts.

With this delay, I will be eager to check the VCross once it's launched. As quirky as it gets to own a pick up truck, it might be closest to satiate the desires.

I agree to what GTO says about Tata and Mahindra cars, as the product gets older, the better it gets. Heck, they should start making wine rather than automobiles.

Last edited by justwheels : 2nd November 2020 at 14:22. Reason: Added vcross context
justwheels is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks