Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2022, 15:54   #3136
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

This got me curious and I have just called 2 Mahindra dealers in Kochi and their reply was hilarious. The D-AT Thar is closely 20L on road here and the waiting period increased to 8-9 months minimum.

Whereas the XUV700, the top-end version is closely 32L and has a waiting period of 12-13 months.

I'm really impressed that people are willing to wait this long and by the time they would get their vehicle, the cost might be increased by 20-30% from the time they booked the vehicle.

Anything beyond 2-3 months booking for a car is not even an option for me.
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 13:21   #3137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post

By the way,
Question/inputs from other Thar AT owners.
Do you guys also have some amount of vacuum leak, I mean as in, the brake pedal is hard to press after parking the car for 10-12 hours? Provided One doesn't press the pedal with the engine off before parking it overnight.

I got a call from the Mahindra customer manager and they say it is more or less a normal behavior.
Sadly, I don't have access to any Thar AT here to cross check.
Yes, I own the New Thar Diesel AT, August 2021.
The current ODO reading is just nearing 18000kms..

The brake when pressed for the first time everyday has a nullify effect and makes some noise. When researched and discussed with the dealer, they have told me that the ABS system everyday. This is a normal behaviour for the car. Also, I've gone for offroading a couple of times, and the same would come in because the differential lock mechanism and the other electronics of the car would get activated.

This is more of a normal behaviour of the car.
Old 25th April 2022, 20:38   #3138
BHPian

Need input on issue with Bluetooth pairing of the phone:

I have an iphone paired through bluetooth and it used to work well most of the time. 1 out of 10 times it will fail to pair but on restart of the vehicle it used to pair successfully.

On my first service, I mentioned this to the advisor and he updated the s/w after that it became worse. Now 50% of the time it fails to pair.

- Any recommendation on how to solve this problem?
- How do we see software version of the HU?
Old 25th April 2022, 22:34   #3139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBagheera View Post
Need input on issue with Bluetooth pairing of the phone:

I have an iphone paired through bluetooth and it used to work well most of the time. 1 out of 10 times it will fail to pair but on restart of the vehicle it used to pair successfully.

On my first service, I mentioned this to the advisor and he updated the s/w after that it became worse. Now 50% of the time it fails to pair.
+1 on this issue. Android Auto is messed up too now, works intermittently with frequent disconnections.
Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 22:44   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBagheera View Post
- Any recommendation on how to solve this problem?
- How do we see software version of the HU?
1 - complain about it to ASS/ M&M. I have the 1-out-of-10-times problem still, and the way I manage it is to turn on to ACC mode, go to the connectivity menu in ICE to see if my BT connections are listed. If they are, AA or CP will work. If they ain't, take the key out, put it back in after 2 or 3 secs. Repeat. Usually it's always second time lucky when the issue occurs.

2 - It's home + disp off. See this post for details.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 07:41   #3141
BHPian

I have the D/AT with some 28k kms on it, overtime I have observed that shifting from D to N is accompanied with a bit of a jerk. There are times when that reaction/ jerk is delayed. Like 1/2 a second after disengaging the drive.

This wasn’t the case for first few thousand kms however with use the jerk has become more pronounced

Wondering if anyone else has experienced/ observed it?

According to SC and M&M this is apparently expected/ normal behaviour.
Old 26th April 2022, 09:56   #3142
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Since we're on the topic, can you please post the version of your software?
Old 26th April 2022, 17:38   #3143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
2 - It's home + disp off. See this post for details.
Thanks Phoenix for the engineering hidden menu secret! Very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Since we're on the topic, can you please post the version of your software?
Attached. I see that there is an option to update software. Can we do it ourselves?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_4060.jpg  

BlackBagheera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 20:53   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
I have the D/AT with some 28k kms on it, overtime I have observed that shifting from D to N is accompanied with a bit of a jerk. There are times when that reaction/ jerk is delayed. Like 1/2 a second after disengaging the drive.

This wasn’t the case for first few thousand kms however with use the jerk has become more pronounced

Wondering if anyone else has experienced/ observed it?

According to SC and M&M this is apparently expected/ normal behaviour.
My Thar has similar KM on the ODO, and I do not have this jerk.

When you select P in the transmission shifter, you're getting the parking pawl - a metal pin which locks the output shaft of the AT.

As general rule of thumb/ best practice -
  • On flat surfaces shift into neutral, ensure the vehicle is not rolling either direction, and then shift to P
  • On surfaces where the vehicle tends to roll, engage the handbrake first, and then shift to P. When driving out, shift to N (or D/ R), and then release the handbrake while you're still holding the brake
I've noticed a stiffness/ jerk if I engaged P, and the vehicle rolled to rest on the parking pawl. See if this is the case with you. If it's not, it's definitely not normal, and if the ASS is not accepting it, escalate through WYH app.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 26th April 2022 at 20:54.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 05:14   #3145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Thar has similar KM on the ODO, and I do not have this jerk.

When you select P in the transmission shifter, you're getting the parking pawl - a metal pin which locks the output shaft of the AT.

As general rule of thumb/ best practice -
  • On flat surfaces shift into neutral, ensure the vehicle is not rolling either direction, and then shift to P
  • On surfaces where the vehicle tends to roll, engage the handbrake first, and then shift to P. When driving out, shift to N (or D/ R), and then release the handbrake while you're still holding the brake
I've noticed a stiffness/ jerk if I engaged P, and the vehicle rolled to rest on the parking pawl. See if this is the case with you. If it's not, it's definitely not normal, and if the ASS is not accepting it, escalate through WYH app.
Excellent information, not many are aware. I follow the same and the procedure you laid out keeps the small lever of parking pawl happy!!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 13:31   #3146
BHPian

Quote:
See if this is the case with you. If it's not, it's definitely not normal, and if the ASS is not accepting it, escalate through WYH app.
Not the parking pawl but a transmission disengagement shock of sorts. I am already in touch with M&M on this matter, 2 senior guys have already have passed this off as normal / expected behaviour.
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:47   #3147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Does this thread have any posts from the point of view of a lady driver? We are considering Thar Automatic as a daily driver for my Wife. Would like to hear more on how easy/difficult it is to drive in B2B traffic in Bangalore. She currently drives a grand i10 auto.
We have a enthusiast lady driver in our group, following are her observations of owning a Diesel AT:

Pros:

1.The biggest advantage Thar has over other cars is the broad view of the road, which gives a complete glimpse of the surrounding. Initially this might be overwhelming, but once you settle in, other cars feel too low.

2.Thar makes the heads turn & grabs all the attention. Due to the sheer road presence, it tends to get its way lot easier.

3.Driving an auto car or Thar is not going to be any different in terms of driving skills for on road experiences.

Cons:

1.Due to its size it might cause inconvenience in heavy Bumper to bumper traffic

2.As females, tend to carry everything with us, be it laptop, purse, lunch bag and whatever comes along a way, Accommodating all of that in thar is cumbersome as you do not have a rear door to keep everything in the back seat and the boot space is quite limited

3.The height of the car may be an issue for some to get in and out of car especially if dressed traditionally or wearing high heels.

Hope the above helps.
abhikb is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 20:44   #3148
BHPian

Made an interesting observation in my Thar D, you may perhaps find it interesting as well.

Over the years, have developed a habit of giving my ride a quick visual and auditory inspection before my long drives. Was about to venture on a 900km trip with family. Went through my routine the previous evening, pulled out the dip stick and the diesel engine Oil seemed as new as it can get, this after nearly 2000 kms on Odo of mixed city and highway drives.

I have a couple of other diesels, but this one looked nothing like them, more like what I have noticed in my petrol SX4. Was pleasantly surprised to notice the engineering tolerance in this diesel engine.

Last edited by dr.dre : 30th April 2022 at 20:45.
dr.dre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 15:54   #3149
BHPian

Hi Guys ,

I have installed a switch pod system on my thar which can control 6 different accessories from the single switch unit.
Ever since I got installed my new Hella Black Magic 6.2 inch LED Mini bar, the hunt for proper switch system was on. After going through many international Jeep forums, I have conluded that the best way to get it done at an affordable budget is to install this universal 6 gang off or on switch system. The other branded switchpods from US (Mainly for wrangler users) costs a mountain when we import it here including customs and shipping, and hence I decided to move ahead with this system which I got it imported from Hongkong. Following are the few highlights of this system.

1. Control 6 accessories comfortably from your cabin.
2. No wires dangling from here and there. You will get a neat look.
3. I never wanted to put a hole anywhere on my dash. This systems helps a lot in this regard.
4. Whenever I need to add more accessories, I don't need to open up my dash. Switch is already present, all you need to do is connect the positive of the accessory to the switch pod terminal in the engine bay.
5. On the switch panel, green color for off, and a yellow color when the respective switch is on.
6. You get many options on the switch using the changable stickers provided along with the whole unit.

All the installation was done as DIY including hella lights, hope you guys find this post useful for those looking at a centralised switch system for all the planned accessories on this beautiful machine. Some pics for your viewing pleasure !
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220315075353.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220501_133259.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220501_133327.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220501_133257.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220501_133308.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220414_113526__01.jpg  

highwaypatrol is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 16:18   #3150
BHPian

Please suggest a good wireless phone holder for iPhone 11 Pro
I am planning to mount left side of steering so that it can easily be connected to charger.

Most Viewed