Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2022, 10:34   #3391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
As the key is mapped from the factory like that there is never an alarm issue. I use the keys interchangeably a lot.
According to the user manual snip I'd posted earlier, the alarm should sound if the Thar is locked using the remote, but opened with the key (using either of the keyholes) - see the last (Notice) section of the linked thread for reference please.

But that doesn't happen, which is what we're wondering about.
Old 13th August 2022, 10:50   #3392
BHPian

After enjoying my Thar for over 15000km, it was time to do some improvements and it had to be DIY, as mostly happens with the DIYer inside me waking up on all such thoughts of doing something with the Thar or my Sled.

Did full body damping with DR Artex Iridium with hope to reduce noise inside the cabin to a comfortable level. Yet to test drive it but it already feels good. 🤣

Cost 14000 for the mats (16 sheets) and I got it off Amazon.

Attaching a pic. Looks neat 😉
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-13dbbee28542409fa132fd405d264cd8.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-79c8c8b0f614486ca65cbcc94e6166b5.jpeg  

techfreak is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 13:30   #3393
BHPian

Excellent job, @techfreak.
Did you DIY completely?
What about the doors (front and back) - I am most annoyed by the flapping around of the air escape vent.

Can you link us to the tape you used to seal off the edges of the damping sheets?
Also, can you confirm that the adhesive is self-adhesive via natural properties (as opposed to say, bonding via a think adhesive layer, to indicate it is a butyl mix and not a tar-felt solution?)

Lastly, if I am not incorrect, I spot a rear camera. Can you please post a pic of how it lines up once the rear glass is lowered? Thanks!

Last edited by wooka : 13th August 2022 at 13:32.
Old 13th August 2022, 14:30   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
I am most annoyed by the flapping around of the air escape vent.
Is there any known solution for this? I mean we can't seal it off. It'd defeat its purpose. Is there anything which can be stuck onto this, so that it does not make this flapping sound? I am irritated too with this.

Quote:
Lastly, if I am not incorrect, I spot a rear camera. Can you please post a pic of how it lines up once the rear glass is lowered? Thanks!
Woah! I didn't notice that. But I also don't see rear mounted stop light.Btw, Thank you for mentioning this. Now, this is where my rear dashcam goes.
Old 14th August 2022, 20:03   #3395
BHPian

Had my 1st snag with the Thar today.

Oct 21 Model - Petrol - AT - CT with 12000 KM.

Noticed a drop in AC performance yesterday and same issue resurfaced again plus the RED Light came on for Engine Overheat. Had driven only 5 Km’s from home, so turned the car off called Mahindra RSA.

Mahindra RSA took 10 minutes to take down the information, told me a tow truck will be enroute soon and 60 minutes expected turnaround time. The Mahindra dealership was less than 10 minutes drive from me. I asked if there was an option to call a cab so my co-passengers could be dropped off. Another 5 minutes to get this information. I was told to wait 60 minutes for the cab to arrive! Tow Truck came in 45 minutes and I cancelled the cab since the tow truck arrived before the cab.

So turns out its was the radiator fan that was faulty. They switched out the old one for a new one and did a quick test drive and everything seems fine.

Any other folks had issues with the radiator fan?
Cavityavenger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 11:25   #3396
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent job, @techfreak.
Did you DIY completely?
What about the doors (front and back) - I am most annoyed by the flapping around of the air escape vent.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1db3514d67d44a56943af6a9aafa9f0b.jpeg

Yes i did it completely at home, total DIY.
Yes I have done the doors as well as the tail gate.
Only diff being in shops they use a big sheet to cover the door, I have used precisely cut sheets to cover the doors from inside as well as out side. All holes/ service access cutouts were sealed off with big pieces. Don't have photos of every step but I have tried to paste the damping material everywhere it could be. Like the access holes in red have been closed with big pieces but the areas in green line have been applied with damping material from inside. So all doors have roughly 3 layres, two layres from inside and one on the inner side below the plastic door panel. I also have applied damping sheet to inside of door panels where I felt there could be vibration.

Quote:
Can you link us to the tape you used to seal off the edges of the damping sheets?
Also, can you confirm that the adhesive is self-adhesive via natural properties (as opposed to say, bonding via a think adhesive layer, to indicate it is a butyl mix and not a tar-felt solution?)
I used the silver color self adhesive butyl tape to cover the gaps / seams of the damping sheet but I dont recommend it, as after application I didn't find it is required apart from aesthetics. As such the whole floor/surfaces gets covered with mat. I had bought the tape from Amazon.

Quote:
Yes I have installed a rear looking cam as my rear view mirror and placed the camera where the high stop lamp goes with a custom aluminum bracket. Removed the red light as it used to get reflected badly by the glass impairing visibility. Now planning to put a CPL filter to the camera to reduce glare at night.

As regards alignment, I adjust in such a way that just a little bit of the rear spare tyre top is seen at tje bottom of the screen. At that setting on top edge it still shows far back onto the road. Shall share a pic later.

Overall super happy with the outcome. She is super silent now. Outside noise is just shut off. One gets only the wind noise from top (mine is a hard top model) which will be my next project with Sealing all possible panel gaps with silicon glue for preventing wind noise.

Last edited by techfreak : 15th August 2022 at 11:42.
techfreak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 18:15   #3397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
If someone wants to upgrade the Thar headlights on a budget, look no further than Hella 7" sealed beams. These retro-looking reflectors are a direct fit and the throw from the Austrian-made lens is much better than stock. The best part, it just costs Rs.550 odd a piece............................................. .................................................. .... Have not seen these available online and I bought them from a Hella dealer in Chennai.

Attachment 2341542
Every Bus / Truck electrician will have these in stock. When a truck replaces OE 7" round plastic lamp with these the output improves from about 700 lumens to about 875 lumens with Stock 24V 75/70 bulbs.
Low beam output improves from 450 Lumens to about 575 lumens.
These are actual measures taken on luminosity meter used by RTO when a new vehicle is registered.
You are allowed a max of 750 Lumen in low beam and 1250 lumens in high beam per side.
https://morth.gov.in/sites/default/f...0SS%2015-1.pdf

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 18:27   #3398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Every Bus / Truck electrician will have these in stock.
Or any of the Royal Enfield spares shop. Up until the Classic 350, all RE models came with the 7" headlights. Hella or Lumax- both are good.
Old 16th August 2022, 20:56   #3399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post

As regards alignment, I adjust in such a way that just a little bit of the rear spare tyre top is seen at tje bottom of the screen. At that setting on top edge it still shows far back onto the road. Shall share a pic later.
This is the alignment I keep for the camera. On the bottom edge the spare tyre top edge is just about touching, it's visible in the 2nd snap as a thin line. So from right behind the car to whatever dist farthest as seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-7ee4f1bb15ed4340b4d5cebe0f4543dc.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-796ece61f02d4933a6ae5d8d89e4f918.jpeg  

techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 11:12   #3400
BHPian

Who all have upgraded/ modified their suspension?
If am not wrong we have 2 options that I am aware of, one is AVO by Arka Motorsports and one more (forgetting the name now)

Can the users give feedback on the result? I am seriously contemplating upgrading the suspension as apart from me all in the family feel unsure of Thar over rumble strips n alike. Though good for me as no one else takes her unless forced.
Old 17th August 2022, 14:20   #3401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...one is AVO by Arka Motorsports and one more (forgetting the name now)

Can the users give feedback on the result?
Avo by Arka, and Arc.

You'll find details on the Avo in my ownership thread (don't have the link handy, posting from my phone) - I'll post a detailed update there soon.

For now, here's a snippet -

I've tried adjusting the damping from the default recommendation of 11 in the front and 13 in the back (0 being fully stiff and 16 being fully soft) to 12 / 14 and 13 / 15.

The default tune is stiff - like in Endeavour stiff. Where the stock suspension glides over a single rumble strip, this setup will make you slow down. 13 / 15 is almost equal to the stock setup in this aspect, and with minimal body roll, this is a very liveable city setting.

BUT, anything more than 13 in the back will mean slowing down to a crawl over speed breakers if you have 4 adults in the Thar, else it'll bottom out.

With any of these settings, the body roll is still contained to a large extent compared to the stock. I don't foresee having 4 adults in my Thar, so gonna keep it at 13 / 15 (or switch between 12 / 14 and this) for now, based on my usage.

You should drive a Thar with modded suspension before you take a call - see if you can find someone in your city (or let me know if you're visiting south!)
ph03n!x is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 17:38   #3402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hello Guys, Is the new Thar equipped with Anti Theft Alarm? If yes, how can I check if it really works?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
From the manual -

Attachment 2343710
Quote:
Brochure says the car is equipped with anti theft alarm feature, is it the same as Engine Immobiliser?
Quote:
You missed the last part of that snip - the "Notice" .

It has both alarm and immobilizer.
Quote:
Thanks @ph03n!x, If that is the case, then technically when we lock the car using smart key and after 1 minute if we try to unlock the car using manual key, while opening the door the alarm should start buzzing. However it doesn't happen on my car. Can you also check if this happens with your Thar?

Does this alarm require a specific activation like they do for Maruti cars?
Quote:
You are right! Opening with the key after locking it remotely does not trigger the alarm!

Will get this checked ASAP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
It is the same case for my Thar as well. Not sure if it intentional since we received only one smart key and one normal key with the vehicle in March this year (probably due to chip shortage).
Please keep us posted regarding what you find.

Thanks.
An update on this - have checked with my service center, and they've confirmed that none of the Thars sound an alarm when locked with a remote and opened with a key (or even using the unlock inside the car).

I've sent this screenshot to the team and asked them to check - all this while I was assuming that the vehicle has a basic security alarm if the door is opened in an unauthorised manner, but this is disappointing -

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220817_173832_361.jpg

@All - please have this checked with your respective MASS!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 17th August 2022 at 17:44.
ph03n!x is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 12:57   #3403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
Any other folks had issues with the radiator fan?
I just had the same issue yesterday with my Petrol MT HT, unfortunately it was enroute Leh. The replacement part is not available here and they're asking for minimum of 10-20 days to source the part. Stranded here for now.

Is there any way to source the part and get it flown to Leh?
g_shyam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:11   #3404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_shyam View Post
I just had the same issue yesterday with my Petrol MT HT, unfortunately it was enroute Leh. The replacement part is not available here and they're asking for minimum of 10-20 days to source the part. Stranded here for now.

Is there any way to source the part and get it flown to Leh?
Man, that is such a bummer for you. I swear it’s ridiculous how these service workshops don’t have spare parts for the common niggles. They should be able to have the nearest workshop with the spare ship it out in 24-48 hours. I would suggest calling all the Mahindra service workshops within 500 kms and checking if they have it in stock and offer to pay for expedited shipping.

Here’s the contact for the service head for Harbir Auto in chandigarh - 87250-53119 (Mr. Ved). Check with him, you might have some luck.
Cavityavenger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 14:30   #3405
BHPian

Quote:
Who all have upgraded/ modified their suspension?
If am not wrong we have 2 options that I am aware of, one is AVO by Arka Motorsports.
I have the AVO on my Thar and have test driven the ARC suspension too. AVO is better purely because of how customisable it is. Most people run theirs at 12-14 settings across the shocks. I found that to be too stiff for me and run at a setting of 4 all around. For reference my tyre pressure is usually 30 and now the car rides quite smoothly over bumps and rumble strips. 99% of the time I also do not have any passengers. Body roll is much more acceptable as per ladder frame standards.
Turbolove is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks