Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 22:44   #3421
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
��
I measured with a scale. It's 14 inch both side.
Oops, there seems to be some confusion from my end. But I think it's best to go for Bosch Clear Advantage wipers. Even 15 inch wipers won't be an issue.

But one issue with the Thar is its almost vertical windshield, its bound to get dirty faster and also to have a lot more debris and bugs stuck to it. So, sadly wiper life will be on the shorter side.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 22:50   #3422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Oops, there seems to be some confusion from my end. But I think it's best to go for Bosch Clear Advantage wipers. Even 15 inch wipers won't be an issue.

But one issue with the Thar is its almost vertical windshield, its bound to get dirty faster and also to have a lot more debris and bugs stuck to it. So, sadly wiper life will be on the shorter side.
Ha ha my expression was because, after confirming in forum I measured to be 100% sure then ordered a pair of 14", hence when you said 16" I felt here goes a grand plus down the drain.
But yes I too feel it can take a size up, quite some gap there.

Regarding wind shield getting dirty, yes it's true. But after getting the Bug Protectors installed bug issue during early morning n evening/night drives are totally sorted. Bug Protector really works well.

Last edited by techfreak : 25th August 2022 at 22:52. Reason: Additional content added.
techfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 19:54   #3423

TL;DR Need roof top rack for hard top thar in Kerala near kodenchery, with minimum alterations to body.

Hey everyone, coming here after sometime..had gotten into the habit of reading this thread daily before buying my Thar. Lately I have been on a solo trip across all over India, travelling very slowly...one month in one place.

Just posting my experience for adventure lovers here, there's a small town in Kerala 1.30 hour away from waynad called kodenchery, and it's a town famous for white water kayaking in the rivers. There's a company called goodwave adventures that runs these 3,5 or 7 days courses I have been here for a month..and have fallen in love. Adding some pictures for your pleasure.

Recently a kayaking festival was also held called the Malabar river festival where kayakers from all over the country participated..and I did too only after 7 days of kayaking.

Now I am almost buying a kayak and need a roof top rack to carry it.

Would love to chat with someone who has a roof top rack on their thar,
What is the cost where you got it?
How much body alterations does the installation took?
What is the weight capacity etc..
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220826_191851.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220717_150451.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220710_190433.jpg  

newbie_thar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 21:35   #3424

Re: New Thar Convertible Top - Accessory Suggestions Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
I was anyways planning a trip to Autostyle for the roofrack from Bimbra. .
Did you end up getting the roof rack? Which model you bought? Cost?
How much weight it can handle.?
Old 26th August 2022, 21:46   #3425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Ha ha my expression was because, after confirming in forum I measured to be 100% sure then ordered a pair of 14", hence when you said 16" I felt here goes a grand plus down the drain.
But yes I too feel it can take a size up, quite some gap there.

Regarding wind shield getting dirty, yes it's true. But after getting the Bug Protectors installed bug issue during early morning n evening/night drives are totally sorted. Bug Protector really works well.
I made a mistake but things turned out well. I installed Bosch Clear Advantage 16 inchers (Yes, I measured them today).
But I am happy to report, it was a good decision after all. No clearance issues whatsoever. Works like a charm.
dr_TJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 22:42   #3426
BHPian

Hey Guys,

This is just a random photo dump of my Thar, loving the car, just love the commanding position and ability to cruise endlessly without worrying about any surprised the road can throw at you.

Some Likes: Amazing Cruiser, The stock tyres are one of the best OEM tyres, will definitely get MAxxis or BF Goodrich when the time comes to change though, cheapest convertible in the market , the auto box is good. My son loves this car to bits so much character. The soft top surprsingly does not allow any water (maybe a drop or so) get in even under heavy rain.

Some Dislikes: The soft-top even though is well designed could have been better finished limiting the flapping sound, the A/C even though a chiller because of the soft top outside air seeps in making it slightly uncomfortable on hot days on the highway, in city it is fine. Getting the soft-top to open can be a little tedious, but once you know how to do it, does make it a but easier. With this price it still misses with any features, no hand-rest - no leather steering - average music system - no side support - no foot rest.

Modifications: Changed the bumper and grill (Bimbra) with sump guard, head lamps G wagon style - hand rest both rear and front, a/c vent - g-wagon style, Rear tail lamps LED, Black treatment, leather wrapped the steering, foot rest, side support, Bimbra ingress holders.

Any suggestions to make it better do let me know - contemplating on a better music system next.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220826-10.22.01-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220826-10.21.30-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220826-10.21.29-pm1.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220826-10.21.29-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220826-10.21.30-pm1.jpeg  

xtremeshock is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 09:49   #3427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
I made a mistake but things turned out well. I installed Bosch Clear Advantage 16 inchers (Yes, I measured them today).
But I am happy to report, it was a good decision after all. No clearance issues whatsoever. Works like a charm.
Ha ha good. My Blaupunkt wipers got delivered yesterday , both 14” & fit perfect. But as evident 16” will cover more area so better if there is no clearance issue.

Cheerio
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 10:59   #3428
Senior - BHPian

Had an interaction with a Mahindra dealership team last week, and also test drove the Thar LX D MT. The car was production serial number 5xx and has clocked 50K+ kms in two years. Not writing much about the test drive as A. the car was a very abused one and B. its too late to write another review.

According to them:
- the two colors were discontinued simply because of a lack of demand, especially for Mystic Copper. Roughly one out of 30 bookings only.

- the soft-top variant receives bookings even less than that of Mystic Copper, but it is very unlikely to be discontinued. This variant is the one that receives the most attention in the showroom. This sometimes include families who come to take delivery of their XUV700 L model.

- although inadvertently it is CEAT that had benefited the most from Thar. The OE CEAT tyres of Thar were well-received and in fact created an excellent brand awareness and visibility for the company. The retail sales of CEAT tyres are now higher than MRF and Apollo, for Alto, 800 and Omni.

- almost no one has bothered to change the Thar alloys, but almost every second person has opted to replace the original grille with an aftermarket one. Despite this, Mahindra will not change the grille design; the company wants an aftermarket ecosystem and cult following for the Thar

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 28th August 2022 at 11:06.
sandeepmdas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 16:44   #3429

After pinging almost every car modifier in instagram finally found a solution. I wanted something strong that can handle at least 100kgs, will be carrying kayaks from Kerala to meghalya on the thar.

Bimbra guys informed me that they have a distributor in banglore, auto style in kormangla.

1- Is the stock hardtop with this carrier strong enough to hold 100kg? I am also planning to use it for roof top tent in future

2- Does anyone have any experience with Auto Style in banglore? How good are they?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220828160142348_com.adobe.reader.jpg  

Old 28th August 2022, 22:12   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_thar View Post
Did you end up getting the roof rack? Which model you bought? Cost?
How much weight it can handle.?
Not yet, thinking of either the Bimbra make-shift one. It is costing 20k with installation. But it cannot carry more than 90 Kilos and I cannot stand on it when trying to load weight because I am 95 kilos (6 feet 3 inch too).

So I am looking for the permanent one's and might also go for a suspension upgrade.

Bimbra - https://www.amazon.in/ADVENTURE-GARA.../dp/B0995QVBW3

This is what I have planned - https://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-thar...rlanding-mods/ (It is going to cost around 40k).
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 23:39   #3431

This is what I have planned - https://www.cartoq.com/mahindra-thar...rlanding-mods/ (It is going to cost around 40k).[/quote]

Yeah I have the same requirements(infact your height and weight is similar to mine) I also need weight carrying capacity to hold atleast 4 kayaks, 25kg each. And when the season's over I'll add a roof top tent maybe.

Will you be going to Noida for this ? If no then How are you planning to do this in Banglore?
Old 29th August 2022, 00:16   #3432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Hey Guys,
Modifications: Changed the bumper and grill (Bimbra) with sump guard, head lamps G wagon style - hand rest both rear and front, a/c vent - g-wagon style, Rear tail lamps LED, Black treatment, leather wrapped the steering, foot rest, side support, Bimbra ingress holders.
Can you provide reference from where you bought Head lamps, Rear tail LED Lamps and brake caliper?
Old 29th August 2022, 10:28   #3433
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
2nd row slider for Mahindra Thar.

Useful to a lot of people: https://bimbra.in/inventory/rear-seat-slider-fold/

This guy has installed it (watch from 8:45)

I was searching for something similar for the Scorpio-N since it has no middle row slider.

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 29th August 2022 at 10:30.
Old 29th August 2022, 11:24   #3434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBagheera View Post
Can you provide reference from where you bought Head lamps, Rear tail LED Lamps and brake caliper?
Bought it and fitted from a place in Chennai called Modern Beauty Cars Mr. Leo, you can pm me in-case you need the number will share same. They are the official dealers of Bimbra as well in Chennai.

Incase you need only the lights to be sent across there is a place in Chennai called MYCAR ADDON - a known person Dushyant deals in these products - he deals in a variety of accessories. You can PM me for the number.
xtremeshock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 12:17   #3435
BHPian

Experts, need your suggestions on tyre's/ rims as I am planning to upgrade the stock set up.
I do lot of off-road trails, but doesn't want to put MT tyre's as I use my Thar on-road as well.
The stock set up is 255/65/R18

Option 1

285/60/R18
Available option is BF Goodrich KO2. Its expensive, but I can use the stock alloys and save the cost of new rims.
Another option is Maxxis Bravo 980 AT

Option 2
275/70/16 Maxxis Bravo 980 AT with 16 X 8J Steel Rims

Considering the warranty aspects as well, is it better to keep the stock alloys and just do the tyre upgrade?

All suggestions are welcome!

Any one here did a suspension lift?
MithunSathianat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks