Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2022, 23:54   #3466
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
..Please update us if you face any rattles or squeaks after this.

On a separate note, I see a red wire loose just behind where the glove box is. Do you have any accessories/mods installed? Also, how easily did they give in for this replacement?
Hey bud,

1. No rattles thus far. I had things done as per my spec. They did good up the plastic of the A pillar LF.
2. A few accessories - a sub, my bushranger LED bar, a dr nano winch, dual alt horns, LED vents and footwell LEDs. And a window-up-on-lock module by RD.

I control most of these via a switch panel near my left knee.
It helps when I want to ensure that the amp is off when the car goes for service, as is the auto-window-up. Also helps with randoms driving the car or when I want the stereo on for >5 minutes (the amp can drain the battery fast.)

3. Wasn't a nightmare - you can have the parts arranged citing my service circular. They will look it up on the ismart tool (idumb, really.)

4. The AC replacement STILL LEAKS AIR! Esp on direction= footwell side.
Why am I upset? I had to race the Rajdhani and catch it at Delhi Cantt. instead of NDLS for the wife to get on the train since they took all day and this is the second time they've opened up the dash to get this rectified. They had no thread locker so I now worry that down the road, there will be dash rattles. There is no SOP for thread locker here at Mahindra outside the factory even though Loctite is a listed supplier for the part!

I'm going to use a towel. I'll be damned if I have to get the whole dash torn apart. They've also put a hole in the boot of the gear shifter.
wooka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 00:39   #3467
BHPian

Re: Thar 2022 P-MT-HT-Grey - Initial Review, Unknown features, Mods & Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Congratulations ravishankr89 on the new addition to the family! I have the identical model, August '21 (including the colour - Aquamarine) and agree with most of your observations.
I have a couple of queries. The headlights on my car are the stock halogens that it came with and I find them to be inadequate. Do you face the same issue? After some reading up I decided that the best option would be to upgrade to a better/brighter halogen bulb. What would you suggest?

The bumpers have safety impact sensors and I too want to fit proximity sensors as you have done. But decided against this as suggestions came from neighbours that it may void some part of the warranty. Had you faced any issues regarding this?

Your 1000 km coverage in 10 days is great going. For various reasons, we have done very little driving with the Thar so far. Mainly because the car is in Kolkata & we are stuck in Mumbai for the duration. But hopefully this issue (being stuck in Mumbai) will be resolved soon. We used our earlier Scorpio for touring the country for 14 years and hopefully the Thar too should prove its mettle soon in the North East hills.
Hi Shashanka. Thank you! Mine is not aquamarine. Its grey though. Haha.. Are you enjoying the manual petrol? I'd love to know!
To be really honest, I haven't driven my thar in a super dark or dimly lit place yet. It's mostly been within city limits during the night. I've read other owners complaining about the not so bright lights though. Most people seem to be changing their head lights to LED onee which are super bright and dangerous too. The other option is to put HIDs but this requires some wiring to be done so not sure of warranty. I am considering just changing the bulb to Philips H4 extreme vision G force halogen bulbs (55W 12V). The Philips will be brighter than the stock bulbs. Also, I may change my fog lights to projectors. I want to use the stock lights in dark conditions to see how bad it is first. I will keep you posted about the same.

The parking sensors I have put is an official accessory from Mahindra so no warranty issues what so ever. I am really glad I got it fixed. It really helps me with the corners, specially while parking.

My usage is also quite less. The 1st 1000kms were fast coz i drove down from Goa to Mumbai after delivery. Now my usage will slow down. I am in Mumbai too, if you want to meet up while you are here
ravishankr89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 01:29   #3468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
The AC replacement STILL LEAKS AIR! Esp on direction= footwell side.
They took all day and this is the second time they've opened up the dash to get this rectified. They had no thread locker so I now worry that down the road, there will be dash rattles. There is no SOP for thread locker here at Mahindra outside the factory even though Loctite is a listed supplier for the part!

I'm going to use a towel. I'll be damned if I have to get the whole dash torn apart.
This is what I am afraid of the most. Workers breaking the dashboard while installing/removing is what horrifies me.

Even after opening it twice, they could not fix it. Damn. So problem is back to square 1. All efforts in vain.

Mahindra's PR Team, have a look here. This is a Tier-1 city where the task assigned to rectify the OEM fault has been successfully failed. I wonder what happens in Tier-3 cities.

Quote:
They've also put a hole in the boot of the gear shifter.
I did expect them to do something on these lines but I also expect them to rectify this asap. Any promise or timeline for its replacement?
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 06:40   #3469
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
The headlights on my car are the stock halogens that it came with and I find them to be inadequate. Do you face the same issue? After some reading up I decided that the best option would be to upgrade to a better/brighter halogen bulb.

The bumpers have safety impact sensors and I too want to fit proximity sensors as you have done. But decided against this as suggestions came from neighbours that it may void some part of the warranty. Had you faced any issues regarding this?

hopefully the Thar too should prove its mettle soon in the North East hills.
As an owner of the new Thar since Feb 2021, I have indeed posted on this thread and elsewhere about the functional upgrades that I have done to my vehicle.

1. Yes absolutely it makes sense to go the Philips Extreme vision G Force stock wattage replacement route for your headlamps. They work superbly as per my experience. See pic attached taken in the hills in Coorg in the dark one night last December.

2. The front proximity sensors in my case were fitted by Mahindra’s dealer’s accessories people. So no worries about voiding warranty and all. This definitely helps if you are parking in tight places. It has both a sound and light indicator, but the sound is shrill so I’ve switched it off and rely on the lights alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-634b127ee73949d2b6bc12ee7749a4df.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-cbfa21f165c34e2ca1291079074a9422.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 15:22   #3470
BHPian

Quote:
The headlights on my car are the stock halogens that it came with and I find them to be inadequate. Do you face the same issue? After some reading up I decided that the best option would be to upgrade to a better/brighter halogen bulb. What would you suggest?
Try the Philips 100/90 Halogens with a relay - they are serving me very well. I personally dislike white light, hence have stuck with yellow halogens.
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 16:01   #3471
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankr89 View Post
Hi Shashanka. Thank you! Mine is not aquamarine. Its grey though. Haha.. Are you enjoying the manual petrol? I'd love to know!
To be really honest, I haven't driven my thar in a super dark or dimly lit place yet. It's mostly been within city limits during the night. I've read other owners complaining about the not so bright lights though. Most people seem to be changing their head lights to LED onee which are super bright and dangerous too. The other option is to put HIDs but this requires some wiring to be done so not sure of warranty. I am considering just changing the bulb to Philips H4 extreme vision G force halogen bulbs (55W 12V). The Philips will be brighter than the stock bulbs. Also, I may change my fog lights to projectors. I want to use the stock lights in dark conditions to see how bad it is first. I will keep you posted about the same.

The parking sensors I have put is an official accessory from Mahindra so no warranty issues what so ever. I am really glad I got it fixed. It really helps me with the corners, specially while parking.

My usage is also quite less. The 1st 1000kms were fast coz i drove down from Goa to Mumbai after delivery. Now my usage will slow down. I am in Mumbai too, if you want to meet up while you are here
Hello ravishankr89 and thanks for your reply! Yes, I have now decided to upgrade to the G force bulbs as you and shanker.balan have both made the same suggestion. In fact, shanker.balan's photos show a very encouraging increase in brightness! And thanks for the parking sensors suggestion too. If they are a Mahindra accessory that should take care of worries. Despite using the Scorpio for quite a while, I have been using a Maruti Eeco subsequently for the past few years in Mumbai, and became complacent with it. So now, while driving the Thar in Kolkata's nightmare traffic, I feel that the front sensors would be a big help, specially at the corners (as you mentioned). Meeting up in Mumbai sounds a good idea. At the moment some family members are facing health issues & our presence is often needed. Let us see how things go.
Regards,
Shashanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As an owner of the new Thar since Feb 2021, I have indeed posted on this thread and elsewhere about the functional upgrades that I have done to my vehicle.

1. Yes absolutely it makes sense to go the Philips Extreme vision G Force stock wattage replacement route for your headlamps. They work superbly as per my experience. See pic attached taken in the hills in Coorg in the dark one night last December.

2. The front proximity sensors in my case were fitted by Mahindra’s dealer’s accessories people. So no worries about voiding warranty and all. This definitely helps if you are parking in tight places. It has both a sound and light indicator, but the sound is shrill so I’ve switched it off and rely on the lights alone.

Hello shanker.balan, thanks for the suggestion about upgrading to the G Force bulbs. Your photos too illustrate the point and I plan to fit the G Force bulbs at the earliest.
Regards,
Shashanka

Last edited by shashanka : 4th September 2022 at 16:04.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 16:18   #3472
BHPian

Quote:
Hello ravishankr89 and thanks for your reply! Yes, I have now decided to upgrade to the G force bulbs as you and shanker.balan have both made the same suggestion. In fact, shanker.balan's photos show a very encouraging increase in brightness! And thanks for the parking sensors suggestion too. If they are a Mahindra accessory that should take care of worries. Despite using the Scorpio for quite a while, I have been using a Maruti Eeco subsequently for the past few years in Mumbai, and became complacent with it. So now, while driving the Thar in Kolkata's nightmare traffic, I feel that the front sensors would be a big help, specially at the corners (as you mentioned). Meeting up in Mumbai sounds a good idea. At the moment some family members are facing health issues & our presence is often needed. Let us see how things go.
Regards,
Shashanka
Let me know what you think about the gforce bulbs!
Yes! Shanker.balan's photos are very encouraging! I'm tempted too.
Just make sure you keep the beeping sound of the sensors switched off in traffic or you'll go nuts! They're quite loud haha
Sure. I understand. We can meet up anytime. Just send me a private message whenever. Hope everyone in the fam recovers soon!
ravishankr89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 09:35   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Try the Philips 100/90 Halogens with a relay - they are serving me very well. I personally dislike white light, hence have stuck with yellow halogens.
Are you using the 100/90 in stock housing or changed the housing n holder too?
Old 5th September 2022, 09:42   #3474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Are you using the 100/90 in stock housing or changed the housing n holder too?
All stock apart from the bulbs and the relay wire. All done under 1500/- including fitting charges. Running this setup for over a year now - no heating issues.
Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 09:47   #3475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
All stock apart from the bulbs and the relay wire. All done under 1500/- including fitting charges. Running this setup for over a year now - no heating issues.
Thanks a lot for the input.
I have changed my stock bulbs to Osram Night Breakers from day one but was holding on to changing to 100/90 because wasn't sure how the stock reflectors & holder will hold up. I think i will change the holders too to Ceramic once along with bulls & wiring kit.

Thanks again, this mod happening this weekend only.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 09:48   #3476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
Here’s the contact for the service head for Harbir Auto in chandigarh - 87250-53119 (Mr. Ved). Check with him, you might have some luck.
Thank you so much, turns out there was a replacement part available at Kargil and it was transported to Leh the same day. The part was replaced the next day. Mentokling Motors, Leh were quite proactive to get the part immediately from Kargil.

On an other note, failure of the radiator fan does seem to be a common issue as another Thar had got it replaced a day before I went, resulting in shortage of the part. I also met an owner of a Thar P AT at Leh who had come for 10k service. He had been driving from Pune and faced failure of the radiator fan at Manali at around 8k on the ODO, he was able to get it replaced at Manali.

Does driving in the mountains cause undue strain on the fan? Will running the AC cause this failure? The engine RPM while driving in the mountains was mostly around 1.5-2.2k RPM, AC was ON for the most part at midway to the coldest temperature and at fan speed 1/2. My radiator fan failed at 15.8k kms in the ODO. I had started my Ladakh trip from Vizag at 12k kms on the ODO.
Old 5th September 2022, 09:48   #3477
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I have now decided to upgrade to the G force bulbs as you and shanker.balan have both made the same suggestion. In fact, shanker.balan's photos show a very encouraging increase in brightness!
Hello shanker.balan, thanks for the suggestion about upgrading to the G Force bulbs. Your photos too illustrate the point and I plan to fit the G Force bulbs at the earliest.
Regards,
Shashanka

Let me now give you a few more photos which were taken in Ooty last year in September, October and November and which go to further illustrate the point that I made about Philips Extreme Vision G Force stock direct replacement 55 wattage bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e12ed49ef0724db2b80fdf8c01ed59c0.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-23ebdde4fcb0401db559fa6f63fd6448.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-d1e9ffe5c2184c4e90f195cb79c6b1ce.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-0741512da15a49b8b35ceb18ba5232c0.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ea341d31453246b0a3283f52a239fbbc.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-0e6320662a54471a879ca09cadcb3d31.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-15937c67c50c475282a4d56f7fc1acee.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-415bdb01752a447e869fbd349c8995a2.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-5f6a1562c3864bcc9c1df6fcc77db3e8.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 10:45   #3478
BHPian

Quote:
Let me now give you a few more photos which were taken in Ooty last year in September, October and November and which go to further illustrate the point that I made about Philips Extreme Vision G Force stock direct replacement 55 wattage bulbs.
Wow! Some very cinematic shot you've taken there.
Did you also research/consider the Philips racing vision 60/55W H4 or H7? Any idea?
Old 5th September 2022, 13:07   #3479
BANNED

Quote:
Just make sure you keep the beeping sound of the sensors switched off in traffic or you'll go nuts! They're quite loud haha
Sure. I understand. We can meet up anytime. Just send me a private message whenever. Hope everyone in the fam recovers soon!
Right, I'll remember to turn off the beeper! And will update you about the G force bulbs after I fit them. Regarding health issues, we too are keeping our fingers crossed.

Quote:
Thanks again shanker.balan - the bulbs are certainly very effective. Will update you too after fitment.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 13:57   #3480
BANNED

Quote:
Did you also research/consider the Philips racing vision 60/55W H4 or H7? Any idea?
My good friend and fellow member here Cool_dube was the person who first recommended the Philips Extreme Vision G Force 55W H4. This is a perfect plug-and-play replacement bulb for the OEM factory-fitted ones. Hence I just went with his recommendation. Didn't bother checking any other brands/ types of lamps at all.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th September 2022 at 15:16. Reason: A couple of typos, thank you!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks