Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2022, 19:01   #3616
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Petrol is definitely the way to go if its a convertible, the diesel smoke makes its way into the cabin once the top is down (depending on the direction of the wind, vehicle speed etc) and that is not a good experience for most people.
Extremely wrong information. Don't know where you are getting such false experiences from or if it is your car, recommend getting it checked at Mahindra ASS. I have a Thar softop diesel auto, done 9400km in past 4.5 months. This is my first diesel car (earlier cars were all petrol- Elantra, City, Zen, etc). I stay in Hyderabad and regularly put the top down (at least 2 times a week or once a week for sure and put in at least 60-70km each trip with the Thar topless). I have never had such issues as you mentioned. One can never ever smell the diesel smoke nor have I ever seen it emitting too. Engine too is quite refined unless really revved like petrols (which I don't). My wife uses Thar for office, grocery, etc runs and that too with Thar's top off in many instances. She also has never experienced diesel smoke/noise entering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
The numbers I have are through the tankful method. The MID is usually off by 1.5 kmpl. I must mention that I am sedate driver and don’t get much stop start traffic though. My highway numbers are for the Hyderabad Bombay route which has a mix of everything.
Thar's MID fuel economy indicator as well as fuel level indicator is quite inaccurate. I especially ignore the fuel economy readouts. I rely only on the Tankful method. In Hyderabad, I get 10.2-11 kmpl in the city, when driven judicially (I stay on relatively trafffic free nearby ORR areas). Highway I never got more than 12-12.6 kmpl as of yet (speeds @70-110). Mine is Diesel auto softop
AMG1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 19:21   #3617
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Petrol is definitely the way to go if its a convertible, the diesel smoke makes its way into the cabin once the top is down (depending on the direction of the wind, vehicle speed etc) and that is not a good experience for most people. Unlike old Jeeps one cannot open the windshield to counteract this problem in Thar CRDe or 2.O..
This diesel fumes thing used to be a problem in the old Mahindra CL500 and CL550 soft top jeeps as I have myself described somewhere else on this forum basis my experience as a youngster sitting in the back, in the Estate Jeeps my Dad used to use.

Especially in the clean pristine hill air, the diesel fumes and carbon monoxide emissions were unbearable and would give a terrible headache.

However, with the advent of the MM540 and 550 etc even in their soft top avatars, this phenomenon did NOT arise as per my clear memory.

I have driven and sat in a friend’s soft top new Thar - driven quite quickly in the hills. But I haven't experienced this phenomenon in that Thar.

As I remember it, even my Gypsy soft top carb version of the 1980’s and 1990’s used to have the sweet smell of unburnt petrol / gases coming in via the open rear of the soft top. This has been my experience in that Gypsy in the plains and in the hills.

However, I do NOT encounter this at all in my present soft top MPFI Gypsy. I have tried multiple times to replicate this, in the plains and in the hills but to no avail. Possible that the newer engines are basically far more efficient and do not leave much by way of smell, behind.

I am sorely tempted to theorize and speculate now that this phenomenon is possibly caused because with the fast, forward movement of the Jeep while driving it, there is a sort of pocket of air created inside the soft top which is most probably at a lower pressure/ semi vaccuum. So the air which is of a slightly higher pressure outside and behind the jeep, rushes in and brings in these fumes along with it.

But the contrarian facts that I have myself presented above basis my own experience, seemingly destroy my own theory/ speculation!

So we seem to be back to square one and somewhat stumped!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 24th October 2022 at 19:36.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 00:33   #3618
BHPian

I get diesel fumes inside, once in a while in my thar crde 2018
sugathan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 01:03   #3619
Senior - BHPian

No BS6 Diesel is supposed to smell or smoke like BS4 or earlier. If anyone's vehicle does so, please get it checked with your ASS ASAP.

And in my ~40k with a convertible top Thar DSL AT, I've smelt Diesel fumes zero times. Top up or down or completely removed, don't matter.
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 08:09   #3620
BHPian

Diesel AT any day. All future norms are the same for Diesel or Gasoline. There will be no Ban on this basis since the norms are the same. DPF is a non issue, the teething problems are only at launch for some models where calibration is not matured for Indian conditions.

I run 2 BS 6 diesels in Bangalore, mostly city. Never had an DPF issue, it is a non issue.
athalaga is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 08:53   #3621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
I have never had such issues as you mentioned. One can never ever smell the diesel smoke nor have I ever seen it emitting too. Engine too is quite refined unless really revved like petrols (which I don't). My wife uses Thar for office, grocery, etc runs and that too with Thar's top off in many instances. She also has never experienced diesel smoke/noise entering!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Especially in the clean pristine hill air, the diesel fumes and carbon monoxide emissions were unbearable and would give a terrible headache.

*Snip*

I am sorely tempted to theorize and speculate now that this phenomenon is possibly caused because with the fast, forward movement of the Jeep while driving it, there is a sort of pocket of air created inside the soft top which is most probably at a lower pressure/ semi vaccuum. So the air which is of a slightly higher pressure outside and behind the jeep, rushes in and brings in these fumes along with it.

But the contrarian facts that I have myself presented above basis my own experience, seemingly destroy my own theory/ speculation!

So we seem to be back to square one and somewhat stumped!
Happy to hear that it hasn't bothered you guys yet.

You will find out eventually about what I am referring to, it will present itself in those situations.

Just to be clear - This is not a petrol vs diesel debate, I have an all diesel garage now but given a choice , an open top Jeep should be petrol. I don't think given the performance of mStallion there is anything to miss.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 08:54   #3622
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, please don't post fuel-efficiency figures from the MID. Those are always tuned optimistically. The best & only way to really know your car's FE is the full tank-to-full tank method .
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 12:06   #3623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Update: Mahindra ASC had ordered for a replacement under warranty after I showed this to them. Few days back got it replaced.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1.jpeg

One point I noticed is the steering nut has no marking position to align with the inner grooves. The alignment solely depends on the skill of technician. IIRC, Hyundai has proper 90º marking on the nut itself. Steering itself is not perfect material wise. It still has small little holes in it albeit lot less than the previous one.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2.jpeg

Even though I am satisfied with the warranty claim process and their working, I had to take my own torque wrench and then ask them to torque it according to specifications. Initially they were just doing it manually by force.

To other prospective readers IIRC, torque spec is 47Nm for steering nut. You may still confirm it with the technician present there.

While at the service centre asked the advisor if there are any updates/recall for this batch. He checked and said None. So all those service advisories - AC recall, auto tensioner and belt replacement, Turbocharger actuator link replacement etc. are not applicable to mine. He mentioned that if there are any recalls or advisories it shows up on the tab when they enter registration number.

While at it, one electrician who dealt with AV unit updated the firmware through a pen drive. I could not find anything updated apart from the fact that they deleted eco sense altogether.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4.jpeg
Ecosense: 0x00

I hope the updated version has less breaks to Android Auto than the previous ones.

This is the updated version

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-3.jpeg

Another point, I asked the technician about floor heating feature. He mentioned there is heater core near the transmission tunnel, coolant passes through it so it is bound to heat up and is completely normal. Now, it makes sense as whenever the temperature dials are set near middle it heats up earlier than usual.

One last complaint I mentioned to them was roof tak-tak noise after it stands under sun for long, to which they just tightened the already tightened screws. The maximum force they could apply with hand, they applied. Haven't really parked under sun after that so can't comment on it so soon.
batish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 18:00   #3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Update: Mahindra ASC had ordered for a replacement under warranty after I showed this to them. Few days back got it replaced.
=====
One last complaint I mentioned to them was roof tak-tak noise after it stands under sun for long, to which they just tightened the already tightened screws. The maximum force they could apply with hand, they applied. Haven't really parked under sun after that so can't comment on it so soon.
Thanks for the updates batish . Do keep us updated if the android auto and Bluetooth disconnection problems are solved after this update.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th October 2022 at 18:21. Reason: Trimming quoted post, please avoid Quoting entire large post for short replies.
TheRainmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 10:49   #3625
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Going to be a red convertible.
Did you not consider going the used car route?

Right now, I am sitting on the fence (and since long) whether to add this as our third car in the Garage. We already have a Nios and a Seltos.
My son is in absolute love with this (especially in Red). We saw a convoy of Thars on our recent trip to Goa and the itch has increased since then.

Will decide may be in a couple of months time. Heard from the dealership that getting hold of a Red Thar HT (Either in Petrol MT / Diesel MT guise) will not be an issue, in terms of waiting period.

Last edited by MCR : 26th October 2022 at 10:52. Reason: Typo
MCR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 13:29   #3626
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, please don't post fuel-efficiency figures from the MID. Those are always tuned optimistically. The best & only way to really know your car's FE is the full tank-to-full tank method .
Can't agree more, my Feb 2022 Thar D MT CT shows a variance range from approx 2 to 4km/l... Tankfull has ranged from a min of 11.03 to 15.65, in Bangalore B2B traffic to highway runs @80-90kmh. Corresponding MID was somewhere in the range 13+ to 19+. This data is over the last 7625 kms.
dr.dre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 13:40   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dre View Post
Can't agree more, my Feb 2022 Thar D MT CT shows a variance range from approx 2 to 4km/l... Tankfull has ranged from a min of 11.03 to 15.65, in Bangalore B2B traffic to highway runs @80-90kmh. Corresponding MID was somewhere in the range 13+ to 19+. This data is over the last 7625 kms.
Mine is a D MT HT model and have done 17000km so far.
I am getting consistent 10-12 on Tankful method and MID shown is between 12-14.
So mine is pretty consistent in this regard.
techfreak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 05:13   #3628
BHPian

Hi, a light question!
A friend coming over from the US can bring the Super7: Morimoto Bi-LED Universal 7 Inch Sealed Headlight Assembly.
It is a plug and play, no relays needed.

I wanted to know if anyone here has tried it on their thars and what their reviews are like?
Is the light output within legal limits?
Old 31st October 2022, 14:51   #3629
BHPian

Quote:
After two long years of ogling at Thars more than Porsches & Ferraris, I have decided to bite .

Can't wait for a Thar Convertible to come home.

- Although I think the Diesel AT is the superior Thar, I am thinking of getting a Petrol AT. Reason = BS6 exhaust. It's the 5th car of the house and will just be a weekend / night toy. Running will be max 100 - 300 km a month, usage merely once a week, and I have other fast German sedans for highway runs.

Thanks!
Glad you have narrowed it down to the Thar. I have a 2021 Thar petrol automatic. Here are my two cents:

1. Since it's just a fun thing for you why not a petrol manual? The automatic has a mind of its own and not very responsive in the manual shifting mode. It doesn't shift to the highest gears when you are cruising (6th gear after 80kmph)
2. I have driven it for 16k kms now and live in Patna the max mileage I have got in the city is 6.5 km/l and 7.5 km/l on the highway, if that concerns you.
3. I want to use the stock set and then upgrade to the bigger tyres after 30-40k kms. But i can tell that the already heavy steering will be heavier with bigger tyres also impacting turning radius. I would also love to hear which tyre setup you went for and before and after review of the tyre upgrade specifically.
4. Someone suggested AVO suspension upgrade. There are very few ownership reviews on it. ARC is a cheaper alternative but members here say the difference is marginal. I would suggest wait it out for little while longer.
5. Correct me if I am wrong. You live in Mumbai. So rains, traffic jams and some amount of heat and humidity throughout the year will be there. Why would you want to intrude on your peace with a zero noise barrier soft top? Rusting is common in your part of the country and the effectiveness of the ac might be impacted when you have to travel during the day. I like the hard top. Yes open top would be awesome. But I m waiting for someone to make an open able hard top like the wrangler. It will be best of both worlds then.
6. My upgrades included full car damping, then a sheet of mass loaded vinyl and carpeting to keep the outside world and heat outside. I also installed an underseat woofer, 4 x speakers and tweeters and an amp. The sound is sufficient for me. Since the upgrade, I have disconnected the top speakers as it was to shrill for me. Grab handles, dead pedal, left knee cushion, converted both front seats to Innova style with integrated armrests and also increased thigh support (must have) wrangler grill in gloss black (Thar is mystic copper) hummer lights, bumper changed bug deflector (must have) lots of other small upgrades.

Good luck with your new car
13thpsycho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 15:56   #3630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Hi, a light question!
A friend coming over from the US can bring the Super7: Morimoto Bi-LED Universal 7 Inch Sealed Headlight Assembly.
It is a plug and play, no relays needed.

I wanted to know if anyone here has tried it on their thars and what their reviews are like?
Is the light output within legal limits?
The US market is left hand drive, and hence the beam pattern is aligned such that the throw is at a higher height on the right (their kerb side) and lower on the left (facing incoming traffic).

Ours is a right hand drive market, and hence using a LHD headlamp will result in poorer throw on the left (towards our kerb), and glare the oncoming traffic.

If you can get a UK spec headlamp, then you won't have this issue.
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed