Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2022, 13:45   #3661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
2. Also, any reviews of the Bimbra armrest?
They are good and get the job done. The plasticky material was not up to my liking, so got it wrapped when getting the seat covers done. I feel if the top portion was a little shorter, the access to the cup holders below would have been better.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20220701wa0041.jpg

Quote:
Guys, attaching the accessory brochure & pricelist. What all are the "must-have" accessories to get from the dealership? Thanks.
I'd say just mud flaps.
Jaguar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 17:11   #3662
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Here is a small illustration of the ‘usefulness’ or ‘otherwise’ of the 3 door Thar’s rear seat tumble fold modification which I recently did at Azad 4x4 in Hosakote Bangalore.

I am glad I did this modification. It will help when my wife and I go on our travels. Without this modification the only option is to fold the rear seats down once and pile everything up on the seat backs as we have been doing all this time.
With this tumble-fold ability, it is much better.

I shall be testing it thoroughly soon on a journey because my friend and I shall be embarking on two short 3 day trips this month carrying both of our golf bags and our other general luggage. It is absolutely necessary to also have some extra bungee cords, most definitely, to additionally secure these golf bags and other things.

Whatever said and done, one really has to get creative with the packing, when embarking on a journey in the 3 door Thar.

If two golfers are going, then they cannot both carry the full sized golf bags and trolleys and luggage or if they do, it will really be a squeeze. So one had better carry the smaller more compact ‘stand bag’ and hope that one gets either trolleys or caddies at the other end.

Frankly it is not a very well designed vehicle at all in terms of luggage space and overall general space utilisation and storage design.

Mahindra should have invested in a team of proper interior and storage space designers instead of letting that copy-cat design person Kripalakshmi loose alone and unsupervised on this design.

The fact is that even the new Scorpio N is very poorly designed in terms of space utilisation and storage design.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-42429d22f3ee4f2d8bbd603ca7937e8b.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2cbe302fe0414203a415fe2e8f2ca911.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2f5b84d571a241068bdab73437e6a087.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th November 2022 at 17:14.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 22:53   #3663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am glad I did this modification. It will help when my wife and I go on our travels. Without this modification the only option is to fold the rear seats down once and pile everything up on the seat backs as we have been doing all this time.
I wish they did this here too, in/around Delhi. I know the pain without modification. I don't know if you have realised or not but when you put something on rear seats when folded they get pressed and it permanently changes the shape from rear. It becomes like alphabet "C". It makes a recess in the seat although I don't think it changes anything from front view but it looks ugly.

Quote:
With this tumble-fold ability, it is much better.
I asked Bimbra, they told me this process is irreversible as they have to alter the bottom frame of the seats. I believe yours is same too in terms of frame alteration. So, do they paint or do anything to protect bottom frame from rusting?
I don't know the process exactly but I feel they some sort of welding to secure the mounts.

Bimbra told me they do nothing about it, just cover it properly. Also, it takes whole day for them to alter it.

Since Azad is not available here, during your research did you find any other alternate vendors for this or do I just go with Bimbra then?
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 10:08   #3664
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
I asked Bimbra, they told me this process is irreversible as they have to alter the bottom frame of the seats. I believe yours is same too in terms of frame alteration. So, do they paint or do anything to protect bottom frame from rusting?
I don't know the process exactly but I feel they some sort of welding to secure the mounts.

Bimbra told me they do nothing about it, just cover it properly. Also, it takes whole day for them to alter it.

Since Azad is not available here, during your research did you find any other alternate vendors for this or do I just go with Bimbra then?
Azad removes the seat mount fastening clamps and replaces them with hinged ones. There is a minor piece of welding done. Beyond this there is no other finishing done. I live in a relatively rust free environment so am not worried. Also if one really wants to coat that space with paint one can buy a can of black spray paint and DIY.
Azad takes 2 -3 hours for this job to be done. As mentioned earlier there are no retaining support bars like the ones Bimbra puts. I dont like those as they look bulky and eat into the useable space.
Anyway the bulk of the weight of the tumble folded seat rests on the vehicle floor and doesnt put a load on the head rests to which the retaining bungee cords are hooked. The bungee cord stays are merely like mild restraints.
There are other vendors but in this specific requirement I preferred Azad’s solution as I have earlier posted.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 11:02   #3665
Sss

I will recommend the Snack Tray.

This bolts on to the tail gate inner.
Sss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 11:36   #3666
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sss View Post
I will recommend the Snack Tray.

This bolts on to the tail gate inner.
Indeed this is an useful product. Ive put it to use many a time.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ef3a7db0b1dc4790b88dbf5aacfee1c3.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-eebf7c490d8d40809847643de3bac911.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 12:13   #3667
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

2. Also, any reviews of the Bimbra armrest?

*SNIP*
You would need to do contortions to use the handbrake effectively, and forget ever using your cupholders. This is true of any arm-rests for Thar, not just Bimbra.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2022, 14:22   #3668
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to all for the advice on the dealer accessories .

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Get the JK grill. Not the JL. JK is the original grill which was planned by Mahindra as well. I have it on mine with the original Mahindra logo which makes it look perfectly authentic!
Hey Navpreet, can you please share pictures of the JK grille and who to source it from? Thanks.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 15:58   #3669
BHPian

Hey guys, a quick question regarding the first annual service. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much more than 5k kms in a year. The Service Centre coordinator told me that I should wait for 10k to complete for the first service and that there is no rush for the service. However, I am worried if it has any impact on warranty as such (she says there should not be). Can someone please advise what I should do? Thanks in advance.
Old 10th November 2022, 16:08   #3670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav_dave View Post
Hey guys, a quick question regarding the first annual service. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much more than 5k kms in a year. The Service Centre coordinator told me that I should wait for 10k to complete for the first service and that there is no rush for the service. However, I am worried if it has any impact on warranty as such (she says there should not be). Can someone please advise what I should do? Thanks in advance.
Please get it done. See the snippet below from owners' manual - it clearly says that engine oil/oil filter should be replaced at 10,000 km or 1 yr, whichever falls earlier. I got my Thar's second (1 yr) service done last week - having completed 1 year of ownership but only 5,200 km on the odometer - and the person at the reception said exactly the same thing. Once I showed him the owners' manual, he did not have much to say. Not only is delayed engine oil change bad for the vehicle but will impact warranty for sure.

Goes on to show their abysmal levels of knowledge regarding vehicle maintenance
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar_ss.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 10th November 2022 at 16:15.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 16:59   #3671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Please get it done. See the snippet below from owners' manual - it clearly says that engine oil/oil filter should be replaced at 10,000 km or 1 yr, whichever falls earlier. I got my Thar's second (1 yr) service done last week - having completed 1 year of ownership but only 5,200 km on the odometer - and the person at the reception said exactly the same thing. Once I showed him the owners' manual, he did not have much to say. Not only is delayed engine oil change bad for the vehicle but will impact warranty for sure.

Goes on to show their abysmal levels of knowledge regarding vehicle maintenance
Thanks a lot of this quick response. The service centre doesn't have a clue for sure. She was adamant that it won't affect the warranty and wanted me to take the call. Anyway I will schedule it now.
Old 10th November 2022, 21:50   #3672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to all for the advice on the dealer accessories .

Hey Navpreet, can you please share pictures of the JK grille and who to source it from? Thanks.

Here you go.
I think motorgarage in the NCR has grills. Don't get the FRP ones. Get the ABS unit and get a mesh separately if they don't offer it.
Oh and get the stock mahindra Logo from the workshop. Only some 400 bucks.
Looks exactly how mahindra originally intended it to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220914_105354.jpg  

navpreet318 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 23:26   #3673
BHPian

Quote:
Get the JK grill. Not the JL. JK is the original grill which was planned by Mahindra as well. I have it on mine with the original Mahindra logo which makes it look perfectly authentic!
Thank you man! Just when I was about to finalise the Bimbra one your post came in handy.

Mind sharing how much you paid for this grill and how is the paint quality?
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 04:16   #3674
BANNED

Quote:
Here you go.
I think motorgarage in the NCR has grills. Don't get the FRP ones. Get the ABS unit and get a mesh separately if they don't offer it.
Oh and get the stock mahindra Logo from the workshop. Only some 400 bucks.
Looks exactly how mahindra originally intended it to be.
Navpreet this looks so perfect! I love that original Mahinda + Jeep look with the logo and all.
Wonder if one can get this JK Grille down South too.
That Prad off road bumper that you are using. Looks like solid metal. Is there an FRP equivalent too? In todays world I personally would prefer not to use a metal bumper if possible.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th November 2022 at 04:18.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 04:55   #3675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Thank you man! Just when I was about to finalise the Bimbra one your post came in handy.

Mind sharing how much you paid for this grill and how is the paint quality?
I paid some 10K for it. Paint quality was Okish but since this is an ABS unit there won't be much problem in the finish quality since the die itself gives the surface good quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Navpreet this looks so perfect! I love that original Mahinda + Jeep look with the logo and all.
Wonder if one can get this JK Grille down South too.
That Prad off road bumper that you are using. Looks like solid metal. Is there an FRP equivalent too? In todays world I personally would prefer not to use a metal bumper if possible.
The Prad doesn't have an FRP equivalent. The next best bumper I would suggest is the original Jeep ABS bumper fitted on a custom made carrier fitted to the chassis. But it would be an expensive affair.

I would stay away from FRP since they just crack at the slightest touch and even with exposure to changing weather.

Would prefer stock to any of the FRP units sold around.

Prad now sells a non winch model as well which would be lighter and offer a better crumpling effect.

Also I didn't find any airbag sensor behind the stock front bumper or its carrier.

Oh and I actually got mine from a guy in kerala. Some Flywheel accessories guy. That time the people up north had finished off with the stock as they make it in large batches.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 11th November 2022 at 04:59.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks