Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2022, 08:31   #3691
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
EVO is being used by Shankar Bhai and he is very happy with it, it costs 1.2L and comes with the complete kit of Coil Spring too.
.Anshuman also vouches for the AVO suspension, along with (IIRC) Navpreet318. When I spoke to Anshuman for advice on the Thar, his first mod recommendation was this suspension.

Because of these testaments from Senior BHPians, this is the first time I've bought a suspension before:

- Testing it

- Seeing my own car

Just came in yesterday!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221116-18.09.04.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221116-18.08.55.jpg

Guys, please also share reviews of the Ironman. End of the day, competition makes things better for us customers . Specifically the "ride quality" and "comfort" factors as that is more important to me in a continuously bumpy Jeep than handling.

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2022 at 08:33.
GTO is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 09:30   #3692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Just came in yesterday!
Good call!

This is 16-step adjustable, dialing it clockwise makes it stiff and anti-clockwise makes it soft.

The recommended settings is 11 at the back and 13 in the front, with 0 being completely stiff and 16 completely soft. This setting handles brilliantly, but you'll feel the road on the steering and seats.

I'm living with 12 and 14, a good enough compromise (for me). But if there are two adults in the back, this will setting will bottom out at speed breakers unless you go over them v-e-r-y slowly - no issues if it's just the driver and the co-driver.

Some of our folks here are with 13 and 15, gives a very cushy feel.

Either way, the body roll will be a lot better than stock - you should drive with the stock for a few 100 clicks, maybe till the first service to understand what you've got
ph03n!x is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 10:21   #3693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.Anshuman also vouches for the AVO suspension, along with (IIRC) Navpreet318. When I spoke to Anshuman for advice on the Thar, his first mod recommendation was this suspension.
Absolutely the first and most important mod to be done to the Thar. I was on the verge of thinking to sell it off since the ride was stiff and my back was hurting from the kick back of the rear suspension from bumps.
Never thought that it would make this much of a difference. It's a day and night difference of you make it cushy.
I'm running it as 13 and 15 rear and it's my daily drive to office and I'm loving it!

Have fun!
navpreet318 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 10:41   #3694
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Good call!

This is 16-step adjustable, dialing it clockwise makes it stiff and anti-clockwise makes it soft.

Some of our folks here are with 13 and 15, gives a very cushy feel.

Either way, the body roll will be a lot better than stock - you should drive with the stock for a few 100 clicks, maybe till the first service to understand what you've got
Yes it is 16 step adjustable.
Ive been varying between 13 and 12 in front and 14 and 13 at the back. The first is a bit firm. The second is more comfortable and no bottoming out ever. I wish to now try 11 in front and 12 at the back for a little more softness. I had done around 6000 kms with my stock suspension before moving to AVO. Largely because on account of the second and third waves and consequent lockdowns, AVO was in very short supply because it has to be imported from England. I therefore had to wait a bit for mine.
But on reflection I must say the difference between the stock and this AVO is like Night and Day. We have driven the Thar all over the place multiple times, with just me and my wife and on a few trips with my Dad too. Chennai, Coimbatore, Madurai, Hassan, Chikmagalur, Kabini, Bheemeshwari, Coorg, Nilgiris and a lot of local loafing too bith on road and off road and some adventure-ish stuff too. They both wholly endorse the quality of this suspension and the significant increase in comfort and enhancement in ride quality. I can clearly see the difference in handling characteristics. To me it is indeed a great investment. As one hits the 50’s one needs some few extra creature comforts in these Jeepy things. Anyway Im taking the Thar tomorrow on the highway for a couple of days trip with my pal and will adjust the suspension now by one more notch as mentioned above and see how it feels on this trip.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th November 2022 at 10:42.
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 10:51   #3695
BHPian

Quote:

Because of these testaments from Senior BHPians, this is the first time I've bought a suspension before:

Guys, please also share reviews of the Ironman. End of the day, competition makes things better for us customers . Specifically the "ride quality" and "comfort" factors as that is more important to me in a continuously bumpy Jeep than handling.
GTO Bhai, "salute to you" and also to our Senior forum members (for the recommendation after testing the Evo Suspension). This is one among the many things which makes this community special. I am more or less inclined towards EVO only but want to check on any Official or unOfficial review on the IronMan Suspension.

Now waiting for your THAR to be delivered. Has Mahindra Dealership given you any ETA for the delivery ?
swunkjyn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 12:09   #3696
Senior - BHPian

Since we are on this topic, want to know how easy is to change settings on this AVO suspension? Can one do it on its own or need to take it garage every time?

Lastly how much is it retailing for as of now?
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 12:35   #3697
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Since we are on this topic, want to know how easy is to change settings on this AVO suspension? Can one do it on its own or need to take it garage every time?

Lastly how much is it retailing for as of now?
Easy to do. Can be done with one’s fingers provided one is willing to get under the car or if one has a slightly raised area for easier access. Best time to do it is when the car is being washed underneath and is sitting on the hydraulic lift.
If the car is regularly going through dirty places and mud and muck encrusts the undersides, then you may need to use a ‘nose plier’ to twist the knobs.
But it is easy to do. Ive done it myself many times. Im just lazy nowadays so I go to the workshop. But then, it is true that the man who runs the Mahindra Adventure setup here and who fitted up the AVO suspension for me is a friendly and knowledgeable person and I basically just like hanging out in car workshops and garages as a pastime.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-de97f65ec7964de68000ef68a78d61ce.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-aa50391f5ffa4727924d9df1e2bdb6e0.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-00723e20b6aa4d85ba816082411bb405.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-56ab0a9ef4db4b9f8dc42bc0fd5f9688.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-22cf08f3ea444100b6ae19a36f4abc93.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-dd1d1d10288147a687ae7c6345a251fe.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e08400f8b30943f19442aa329ca00d47.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-5740bd0cb9ac4df29ec851da7f3a2dac.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-3e8e13f44a4e47e6a2449d4db261c762.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb40cdec99554189bb97d58a0c592aea.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-56852bbbee00414f9c780703ba08ef7d.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 20:20   #3698
BHPian

Folks with underbody protection, do you remove the underbody completely before washing every time you take the Thar off-roading?
Kapany is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 22:12   #3699
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Folks with underbody protection, do you remove the underbody completely before washing every time you take the Thar off-roading?
I don't go off road much. Except sometimes when I visit friends on their estates or if we go to a wildlife sanctuary or similar. But yes, I do remove the under body plates for a thorough washing atleast 2 times a year. And anyway when the vehicle goes for servicing, one has to remove them to change the engine oil and axle oil. One also needs to remove them when doing alignment and balancing for camber and castor adjustment.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 01:01   #3700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Ended up buying the 5th year warranty too.
The way every service has some parts replaced under warranty, I could not ignore the additional warranties! And, talking about the AC vents, they are a joke! Every few months I get a couple of them replaced and the dents that my dashboard has due to the replacements, I am pretty sure the whole dash is awaiting a warranty check soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Today, randomly DPF Clogged error popped up on MID for about a second and then vanished. Came back and checked the previous warnings on MID, found nothing. Why can't Mahindra just show how the levels on MID as to how much is it clogged.
It is indeed a serious pain. But, I got one of those cheap bluetooth OBD readers from Amazon, a year ago and I could clean an OBD error myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
Guys, looks like there has been another silent update from Mahindra on the Thar. I just took delivery of my Thar over the weekend and now even the Automatics have the Auto Engine Start/Stop option with the switch added to the buttons under the Steering.

Initially they had added this feature only for the Manual versions as far as I know and now looks like the Automatic ones have got them too.
Can you post a few images of the same?
Old 18th November 2022, 01:06   #3701
BHPian

Was going through the brochure today to see what all has been changed since its inception. Found out Start Stop has been added and they still mention USB Charging port as a feature in latest one but they have removed Mechanical Locking Differential from Petrol Variants.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20221118-00.58.08.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
It is indeed a serious pain. But, I got one of those cheap bluetooth OBD readers from Amazon, a year ago and I could clean an OBD error myself.
Nope. Nope. Those Chinese knock offs have no reliability. You're risking your ECU while playing with those dongles. One more thing, you'll be risking your warranty if you use this to clear anything as ECU keeps a log when the error popped up, when it was cleared and how many kms the vehicle ran before clearing, everything.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf THAR-Brochure-new.pdf (3.68 MB, 215 views)

Last edited by batish : 18th November 2022 at 01:14.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 03:33   #3702

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
The DPF issue is a pain and i guess we have to live with it, but then again a quick kolaghat or azad hind drive gets it sorted Surprisingly never had any issues with the ac vents till date.
AjitSen6333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 15:02   #3703
BHPian

Quote:
Because of these testaments from Senior BHPians, this is the first time I've bought a suspension before
Welcome to the soft top club! Post living with Softop for the last 5 months! my love for it has grown by leaps and bounds. Every drive in it is like a fun ride in an amusement park. I put the top down religiously every weekend.

A hack- When the top is off, ask someone else to drive and you sit in the second row with the seatback reclined, it's a lovely feeling with no pillars to obstruct and winds all over in the second row. Taking the liberty to post pics of my Red love.

Also, I would like to suggest you, experience the car in its stock form for at least a month and then do the planned suspension upgrades. It will not only help you discover and understand the stock car better but also make you assess the upgraded impacts/results in a more informed way.

Quote:
Was going through the brochure today to see what all has been changed since its inception. Found out Start Stop has been added and they still mention USB Charging port as a feature in latest one but they have removed Mechanical Locking Differential from Petrol Variants
Extremely disheartened to see Mahindra dilute the Thar brand. They are hell-bent on making Thar less unique and more like general crossovers! Mechanical Diff is so important and has helped me in a number of tricky situations! First, they remove those awesome silver bumpers, then so important Lumber supports, then Charging ports, and now Diffs in petrol and ironically, raising the prices every 4 months!! Horrible and greedy on Mahindra's part. At this rate, they might well introduce a 2WD 1.5 diesel/1.2 turbo petrol from XUV300, qualify for <4m rule and make Thar, a poser volume vanilla car!

Adding a video of the Softop removal and backup process I came across on YouTube. This helped me a lot in my initial days. Thanks to the video, I can now put the top down in less than 5 mins and back up in less than 10 mins, of course after a lot of practice throughout the past months. This video is not mine nor am I related to the Content creator, so Kudos to him
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221118-2.19.49-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221118-2.19.50-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221118-2.19.51-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Sheel : 18th November 2022 at 20:34. Reason: Rule # 8. 2 smileys per post. Please go through Forum Rules. Thanks.
AMG1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 17:56   #3704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but they have removed Mechanical Locking Differential from Petrol Variants
Are you sure about this? The text in the brochure can also be interpreted as - standard with mStallion and optional with mHawk
Old 18th November 2022, 18:55   #3705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Are you sure about this? The text in the brochure can also be interpreted as - standard with mStallion and optional with mHawk
This is indeed correct, also posted by cardekho https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ware-29974.htm. Even in diesel models this is kept as option only.
ganeshk4 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed