Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2022, 11:09   #3721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Do not exceed 110-120kmph at the very maximum. If you value peace of mind, comfort, handling and overall safety, (and less wind/ slipstream noise) all of these driven by pure, un-adulterated common-sense, then, this is the absolute max-speed-rule with the new Thar.

Anyone tells you any different, simply don't listen.
Not trying to encourage irresponsible driving but as an information - Thar 2.0 is designed for future expressway speeds in mind, it will do those speeds safely!

A stock Thar will retain perfect steering control, braking, emergency lane changes etc. It is designed to do it and those who drive it regularly on roads like what we see in TN maintain much higher speeds than what you have mentioned.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 12:06   #3722
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Not trying to encourage irresponsible driving but as an information - Thar 2.0 is designed for future expressway speeds in mind, it will do those speeds safely!

A stock Thar will retain perfect steering control, braking, emergency lane changes etc. It is designed to do it and those who drive it regularly on roads like what we see in TN maintain much higher speeds than what you have mentioned.
In Indian conditions whether on highways or byways, in TN or KA or J&K or anywhere at all, one drives at higher speeds than what I have mentioned, only at serious risk to one’s self, one’s passengers abd other road users and stray animals.

The danger is further accentuated in a Jeepy thing.

Perhaps you didn't see what I wrote earlier. If one uses common-sense, values safety, peace of mind, reduced wind noise, controlled handling, driver and passenger comfort, controllable braking etc, then one will not exceed the speeds I have mentioned.

Do also consider that the new Thar is 1700-1800 kilos heavy, puts out 130-150bhp, has front discs and rear drums, the aerodynamics of a brick, is basically a Jeepy thing and not a sports car. You cannot stop in a reasonable distance within a reasonable time, from those super speeds. Nor can you switch lanes or make sudden directional moves and changes at such high speeds.

Without putting too fine a point on it and without wishing to boast, I think I can safely say that I know what Im about in this case having owned and driven many different vehicles across multiple types of terrain, in many parts of the globe. And specifically having owned and lived with and amongst Jeepy things most of my life.

So end of the day, its whether one wants to conform to the laws of physics and use the appropriate horse for the appropriate course, or not.
shankar.balan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 13:41   #3723
BHPian

TD'ed the Thar yesterday. Showroom did not have manual test drive vehicle, so test drove automatic thar.

Vehicle feels good enough.
SA let me take anywhere, was not guiding me which route or how much time should I take, sat silently as shotgun.
SA was not aware about MLD deletion. Have asked him to confirm it.
In the mean time also enquired about waiting period of vehicles, scorpio (2 years), xuv700 (10-11 months), and Thar is now around 2 months. So yes, for thar waiting period is reduced.

Here's the quote I received,
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221121-13.31.17.jpeg
Insurance needs some negotiation, I guess. Insurance they quoted me was for 1 year comprehensive and 3 year third party. Can somebody clarify how is it in your case?
ganeshk4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 14:04   #3724
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshk4 View Post
TD'ed the Thar yesterday. and Thar is now around 2 months. So yes, for thar waiting period is reduced.

Insurance needs some negotiation, I guess. Insurance they quoted me was for 1 year comprehensive and 3 year third party. Can somebody clarify how is it in your case?
Good to hear the wait period is reduced.
Ref Insurance they can’t force you to take it from them.

You can contact any insurer(s) of your choice and ask for a competitive quote with all the add ons you want. You also don’t have to pay any handling charfes as per the Supreme Court ruling. You can even get a fastag from any provider of your choice of you wish. This has to be done before the dealer sends the car for registration.

Its a good vehicle the Thar. Most people who’ve bought it, like it for what it is.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 15:27   #3725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Insurance they quoted me was for 1 year comprehensive and 3 year third party. Can somebody clarify how is it in your case?
I took the insurance quote from outside and the mahindra folks matched it +-2-300 INR so I was okay going ahead with the showroom price. I remember paying ~62K with 0 dep, transmission damage and fluids coverage as an add on. This was from Digit. Hope it helps.

I have a Petrol automatic hard top and have done 15.5 K Kms in just over a year and I love it to bits. Be sure of what you want and you will too.

Last edited by sammyboy : 22nd November 2022 at 15:29.
sammyboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 16:59   #3726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I took the insurance quote from outside and the mahindra folks matched it +-2-300 INR so I was okay going ahead with the showroom price. I remember paying ~62K with 0 dep
Can you confirm regarding 1 year comprehensive and 3 year third party clause? Even online quotes shows similar arrangement. That means damage to own vehicle wont be covered a year after. Did you go with 1 year comprehensive or did you buy it separately.

Here's the quick online check which I did,Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221122-16.56.15.jpeg
ganeshk4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 18:27   #3727
BHPian

Quote:
Can you confirm regarding 1 year comprehensive and 3 year third party clause? Even online quotes shows similar arrangement. That means damage to own vehicle wont be covered a year after.
That is how it is. 1 year for own damage & 3 years for 3rd party.

You will have to renew the own damage insurance part after 1 year.
Knightrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 20:59   #3728
Senior - BHPian

So my P AT Thar did something weird.
I was accelerating rapidly to overtake another car. It started jerking and went into Limp mode with the Engine icon flashing.
Went down to 1500rpm and 20kmph and didn't go above it.
Parked it where I found it to be safe.
The car was vibrating strongly.

Turned it off. Switched it on after some time and it is back to normal.

I can drive it around normally all day.

As soon as I accelerate it again jerks and goes into limp mode.
I have been asked to take it to the Mahindra service station to get it scanned.
I normally avoid the local service center. Will probably take it to my friends dealership in Meerut next week.
Some sensor seems to be amiss. That too on rapid acceleration. When you stomp the throttle down harder than normal.

Oh and it's a year and a half old and 21k at the odo.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 23rd November 2022 at 21:00.
navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 21:12   #3729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Went down to 1500rpm and 20kmph and didn't go above it....

As soon as I accelerate it again jerks and goes into limp mode..
It seems there might be an issue with the CKP sensor. An OBD scan can pin-point the root cause better.
Blooming Flower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 09:59   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Yes. Two more colors expected.
Hi, any further news/updates when the new colours are expected. I am holding my booking of Thar P Red CT. Hope they bring it soon as I am in no mood to wait any longer. Thanks in anticipation
Old 24th November 2022, 11:50   #3731
BHPian

Have been facing some issues with the lights on my Thar, have upgraded to the G wagan style lights, they are ok for most occasions, but on the highways where there is no street lights at all we need something better, any suggestions for add-on lights which will help on the highways and also add a little bling factor.
Old 24th November 2022, 13:25   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So my P AT Thar did something weird
Sounds like a throttle body issues to me
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 13:47   #3733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some sensor seems to be amiss. That too on rapid acceleration. When you stomp the throttle down harder than normal.

Oh and it's a year and a half old and 21k at the odo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Sounds like a throttle body issues to me
Something to do with throttle, actual throttle sensor or one of the throttle body related sensors seems to be not right. Or a fuelling related error that is throwing vehicle into limp mode. Connect to a scanner and check for error code that is the only way to figure this right.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 14:52   #3734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Have been facing some issues with the lights on my Thar, have upgraded to the G wagan style lights, they are ok for most occasions, but on the highways where there is no street lights at all we need something better, any suggestions for add-on lights which will help on the highways and also add a little bling factor.
I have the same Gwagon headlights and knew they are just for show. Hence i got LED 3" projector lights in Fog which acts like my main lights. They are 3 color LED lights (white, semi white and yellow colors) from IPH M617.
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 18:03   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
SA was not aware about MLD deletion.
Received a call from SA. According to him MLD is provided on thar by default and is not required to added later.
After I sent him the brochure from website, he said he will confirm about it with the mahindra person visiting today.

Again received a call from him ~2hrs later, saying it's optional on petrol but on diesel it's factory fitted, whereas brochure says otherwise, according to him it's wording mistake.

Is there any way one can distinguish MLD from BLD? I think they are fitting BLD on rear as well.

Last edited by ganeshk4 : 24th November 2022 at 18:12.
ganeshk4 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed