Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 20:24   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Here is the second part of the video from PowerDrift showcasing the off-road capabilities

Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:04   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Where is my ferrero rocher?
That was scary and hope M&M did not open another can of worms now with distributing peanuts (oops.. chocolates) that people now would start worrying of not getting that either.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 21:06   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Pariya - You must have received an email from M&M ? I received one with the details of variants and colour and the delivery date. I’m assuming this is a standard practice.
No, I haven't received any communication whatsoever from Mahindra regarding my booking (except for the chocolates and generic letter today). All communication has been for TD only. All communication has always been initiated by me.
pariyadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 23:26   #424
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2020 at 09:53.
Bhalla is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th November 2020, 05:56   #425

For all the people who have dreams of using the Thar as a family car please take a long test drive minimum 30 mins with your family inside. My cousin and I both decided to buy the new thar and took a TD on Sunday. Initial drive was good and the car passed both spouse’s inspections as well. In fact all kids loved it. However we decided to take long TD’s just in case. So we each took turns to pack the respective kids in the back seat and the wives in the front and went on a long TD. 30 mins and the kids were irritated wifey was shaken and stirred and I was tired. The lack of dead pedal is irritating even in the automatic top model. So if you have a family then don’t assume that it will immediately work as a second or third car. Take a long TD before finalizing.
Ashboyt is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 10:39   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

My delivery date got moved! I know everyone is going through this, but it is really frustrating. I booked with the dealer in October 6th for a Diesel AT HT in Mystic Copper. Was given the order number the very next day. Initially the dealer indicated delivery in November beginning, that then shifted to December 21 as the “system committed date”. I was still OK was I was looking forward to a road trip during Christmas holidays. This week, I am told the system has changed expected delivery date to Jan 2nd! This is really frustrating, as I cannot use the car for the much-anticipated road trip to the Western Ghats.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 10:42   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashboyt View Post
For all the people who have dreams of using the Thar as a family car please take a long test drive minimum 30 mins with your family inside. My cousin and I both decided to buy the new thar and took a TD on Sunday. Initial drive was good and the car passed both spouse’s inspections as well. In fact all kids loved it. However we decided to take long TD’s just in case. So we each took turns to pack the respective kids in the back seat and the wives in the front and went on a long TD. 30 mins and the kids were irritated wifey was shaken and stirred and I was tired. The lack of dead pedal is irritating even in the automatic top model. So if you have a family then don’t assume that it will immediately work as a second or third car. Take a long TD before finalizing.
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I have to replace my old SX4 and was looking for options. I was tempted by the Thar but always knew that this is going to be one uncomfortable ride for anyone in it and your post just confirmed it. By making this statement, I do not claim that I am looking for the most comfortable ride in the universe, it is just that i cannot have a "very" unsettled ride such as the Thar.

Before the Thar fans start beating me, please note that I was a XUV owner for 5 years and was a very happy customer. Almost replaced it with a new XUV before I changed tracks and upgraded to a Beamer. The XUV itself was not the best in ride and comfort but it was absolutely acceptable for me and family members.

I am going to start exploring the smaller hatchbacks, i20, magnite to start with.
shiva75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 11:06   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashboyt View Post
So if you have a family then don’t assume that it will immediately work as a second or third car. Take a long TD before finalizing.
+1
You nailed it for many.
And please do not attempt taking seniors in the family in the Thar (it'll be a circus for them) lest they disown you.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 11:43   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes it is very sweet gesture, 300 bucks worth chocolate box after you paid many thousands as a commitment to purchase.
Purchased with the interest on that booking amount of 21K, no doubt.

Although a lot of people are being patient, going by other forums, a lot of people have started cancelling as well, mostly based on how Mahindra has handled the delivery date updates.

Thankfully, I followed GTO's advice and decided to wait till second half of 2021.
SchrödingersCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:47   #430
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Delivered Thar's. Looking forward to the reviews on how it is to live with it on an everyday basis since it is much improved over the previous generation.
Old 12th November 2020, 13:54   #431
BHPian

Few Thars being dispatched with MRF wanderer tyres instead of Ceat Czar. Would like insight from BHPians comparing or differentiating both.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-124195273_3868985696484805_8022107243655129279_o.jpg
SportsMedicine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:32   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
Few Thars being dispatched with MRF wanderer tyres instead of Ceat Czar. Would like insight from BHPians comparing or differentiating both
MRF as a brand is better than Ceat, in general. Also, I have seen Wanderers as the OE choice for quite a few good cars, including Ford Endeavour.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:43   #433
BHPian

It all started with the enthusiasm behind the Thar launch, and then the wait for prices, during which convincing myself and family if we could keep the Thar and live with it.

Launch happened and I wanted to see it before booking (my bad) and I only ended up doing a TD 10 days later and booking it on 12 Oct, only to get a CPD of 17 March later changed to 8 April.

Why am I giving all these details, well because this delay is causing a lot of angst and the more I read people's comments, the more irrational the decision looks. This delay is not helping and I am doing everything to let the heart win this one.

Now the question is, if not Thar, then what? What car will give a road presence of the Thar, uniqueness of a true SUV, a real 4x4 (not a gimmicky AWD) for those planned trips to Sandakphu, Spiti etc. and the charm of ownership. The only other vehicle that makes me drool is a Ford Endeavour, but that's many many lakhs costlier and even more costly to live with. For those recommending going pre-owned route, I live in Bangalore where depreciation works on a very different formula seems, making it costly for good finds.
Am I being irrational to the core?

What's the nearest alternative to a Thar?

Last edited by justwheels : 12th November 2020 at 15:57.
Old 12th November 2020, 16:19   #434
BHPian

Quote:
What's the nearest alternative to a Thar?
At the risk of earning myself an infraction from the mods for one-word (short) posts, my answer to your question is, Nothing.

So I'd strongly recommend - hang in there
Slipstream11 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:31   #435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I only ended up doing a TD 10 days later and booking it on 12 Oct
9000 bookings were crossed by 6th October. So you would have essentially booked after 12000+ people, or almost 4-5 months of production capacity.

Sounds like the date provided is somewhat similar too. I'd wait.

The people who are really frustrated are the ones who booked on 2nd itself, and the dealerships promised them a closer date - at a time when none really knew how much demand the launch would create.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks