Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2023, 13:00   #4456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

This is what I managed with the heavy brick yesterday. It was a late night drive(09:30-12:00)from Kochi to my home town, 110 kms, empty KL highway - 50% four lane and rest single carriageway. No cruise control used.This also includes 15 mins idling with AC on during a tea break. It's a D AT HT.

Though these are MID values, the real FE should be 19.2 kmpl minimum. I've observed that the MID FE values are optimistic by 0.7 kmpl, and at times 1 kmpl when a tankful to tankful calculations are done. Earlier batch Thars were overly optimistic with 2 kmpl variations observed, as shared by fellow owners. I feel the new batch Thars are giving much more realistic FE.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230603_000707.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 3rd June 2023 at 13:03.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 16:12   #4457
BHPian

Took my thar to dirty drivezy few weeks back. Had a great time trying out their obstacles. There was rain on the previous day and that added to the adventure. The staffs were very informative and guided well.
Attached Images

ak10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 18:55   #4458
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As a contrarian view I love stickering up my Jeepy things a bit. In fact I like stickering up all my vehicles a bit. But with my personal taste in themed stuff only.
Haha! You truly love your badges & stickers.

I like just two for Jeeps:

- The Team-BHP Sticker

- A JEEP badge. Both, my '97 Classic & Thar wear JEEP badges.

Not for the brand Jeep, but for the kind of car that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
This is what I managed with the heavy brick yesterday. It was a late night drive(09:30-12:00)from Kochi to my home town, 110 kms, empty KL highway - 50% four lane and rest single carriageway. No cruise control used.This also includes 15 mins idling with AC on during a tea break. It's a D AT HT.
On the last trip to Pawna, I saw 8 kmpl. Before that, driving a little easier (because of running-in), I saw 9 kmpl. In the city, my Thar turbo-petrol is a 6 kmpl machine. On the highway, 8 kmpl.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 21:13   #4459

Thar; convertible; Goa

When I look back at some of the most memorable moments in life, there is always a vehicle that features prominently. It used to be my bike - a 2003 CBZ (which I bought with my first paycheck), a used second generation Honda City 1.5L (bought when I got married!) or my 2011 Honda City (arrow shot form; loved it to bits).

As luck would have it, I had to go to Goa for a day & a half to complete some formalities. Clearly - a great opportunity to rent a Thar! Called up a local rental self-drive agency and he had a convertible, petrol automatic. Bliss!

I've been thinking about replacing my town hatchback with a Thar automatic. I will get to experience the vehicle first hand and make an informed decision. Double win .

Landed in Goa & there she was!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img1018small.jpg

I've read about Thar Petrol's awesome acceleration. But I felt it was adequate, definitely not as I had imagined. Went round all the usual places, sharing a few highlights!

It is definitely a fantastic experience driving without the canopy. My highlight was driving next to the beach, with the wind in your hair and your kind of music playing.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img1109small.jpg

Or driving down the popular coconut tree sidelined street, jostling for position amongst all the teens.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img1095small.jpg

But, the highlight of all the highlights was the serene time spent looking down at a winding road, with a capable and fun car beckoning you to explore. ज़िन्दगी एक सफ़र है सुहाना.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img1127small.jpg

----

Finally, coming back to the things that the brain focuses on. Would I buy the Thar given the 1.5 day experience? Unfortunately, no! The primary reason is the really poor turning radius. I struggled to park in tight places, parallel parking was difficult and rear view is poor. Definitely cannot replace the hatchback to drive and park in Bangalore.

Nevertheless, a convertible Thar for the next trip to Goa? For sure!
WDYWFM is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 21:52   #4460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10 View Post
Took my thar to dirty drivezy few weeks back.
Few more obstacles that I covered are attached. I got water entering the foot wells during some of the deeper sections of the obstacles. Opended the drain plugs and they were gone, but, one place I missed checking was the jack storage area in the boot. This part has a closing lid and the insides are not visible if you remove the floor mats in the boot. Since I went offroading on a Sunday evening I couldn't get to this that day. Next day there was foul smell coming once I opened the car and upon checking thoroughly found the 'jack well' full of muddy water . Luckily this part also comes with drain plugs and was able to easily clean this out.
Attached Images

ak10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 15:27   #4461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
RWD or 4x4, debadging is the best way to go . I find Mahindra's big 4x4 / RWD badge very hideous & overdone:
Attachment 2458392
Couldn’t agree more. Mahindra goes over the top with their badging.
Am planning to remove the ugly “Adrenox” and “”4XPLOR” badges from my ScorpioN as well.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 07:27   #4462
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Thar; convertible; Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDYWFM View Post
It is definitely a fantastic experience driving without the canopy. My highlight was driving next to the beach, with the wind in your hair and your kind of music playing....
Damn.. I like the Thar with the top down soo much man. I'm amazed at how good the car looks. Let alone the experience it gives.
dhanushs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 16:42   #4463
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for these details, how would you rate this mileage versus what you usually get on your daily drives in the city and highway?
Old 5th June 2023, 16:55   #4464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Thank you for these details, how would you rate this mileage versus what you usually get on your daily drives in the city and highway?
I generally get 11-12 kmpl in moderate city traffic and 15.5 kmpl on highways, provided it's driven in the 75-85 kmph range and not very spiritedly. The 19 kmpl was a one off instance with almost zero traffic on highways.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 16:58   #4465
BHPian

Quote:
I generally get 11-12 kmpl in moderate city traffic and 15.5 kmpl on highways, provided it's driven in the 75-85 kmph range and not very spiritedly. The 19 kmpl was a one off instance with almost zero traffic on highways.
Thank you for your prompt response, this is very useful information to have. The more im researching, i am getting the feeling the diesel makes more sense for my usage. The only con is that being in Delhi NCR, one is not sure what the NGT or Delhi Govt. will come up with next as part of their random rulings. Which do nothing for actually helping the environment.
Old 5th June 2023, 20:05   #4466
BHPian

Quote:

That "kind" is General Purpose... G.P. (a vehicle designation in US military). Jeep was slang for the acronym G.P. Jeeps were made by several contract manufacturers before it became a brand (much later). Then the GPs became the "utility" vehicles of today. And the marketing guys slapped the "sports" on top of it.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 00:33   #4467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
That "kind" is General Purpose... G.P. (a vehicle designation in US military). Jeep was slang for the acronym G.P. Jeeps were made by several contract manufacturers before it became a brand (much later).
"JEEP" apparently is also a class of vehicle.. in India/ Telengana/ Hyderabad -

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20230606_002922_541.jpg

Go figure
ph03n!x is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 01:06   #4468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is just like any normal puncture repair, so that should not be an issue. Only thing I would worry is how big is the damage, if the tyre shop is confident it is just another puncture repair, you are good to use it as normal.
Was travelling last month, so didn't get time to update on this. Surprisingly, Mahindra was generous enough to replace the tyre under warranty. I just asked casually and frankly speaking was not expecting that they will do it in one go. Overall, it was a wonderful experience, all I paid was 1200/- bucks but happy with this goodwill gesture from Mahindra.
vivek_god9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 15:33   #4469
BHPian

Guys, I have completed 45k on my odo and tyres are in urgent need of replacement. I am thinking of upgrading to 265/65 R18 AT and BFG is quoting at 23k per tyre. Is it a worthy upgrade? What are the other options with similar tread patterns in the market? Budget is between 13-17k max. I guess its really hard to find tyres in this specs. Kindly suggest.
Old 6th June 2023, 15:37   #4470
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Guys, I have completed 45k on my odo and tyres are in urgent need of replacement. I am thinking of upgrading to 265/65 R18 AT and BFG is quoting at 23k per tyre. Is it a worthy upgrade?t.

Thats some serious driving you’ve done!

1. 265/60/18 is the correct upsize.
2. Suggest talk to AutoStyle in Koramangala and see Maxxis 980 AT. Tread is really similar to BFG and the tyres are less expensive than BFG.
3. Talk to Madhu’s also and see if they recommend Yoko Geo G016 AT.
4. Honestly no harm looking at MRF cross Drive and Wanderer and Apollo Apterra AT2 as well.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks