Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 22:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Great review! Thanks for the thread bare of the unsorted ride and handling, poor FE and liveability as a family car. It sure is a deal breaker for most of who haven't driven a Mahindra and booked the Thar on pure "shock and awe" factor alone. It's a pure life style vehicle that's trying to bring in more people into it's fold with being a little refined with some creature comforts thrown in; probably it fares best off road where it truly belongs and not on road. So it will be better to talk of "Off Road Pricing" of the Thar than "On Road Pricing"...
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 22:42   #32
BHPian

Excellent 5-star review, offering a sumptuous spread after all those tasty appetisers

In the 2020 Thar's timeline, the three most important milestones have now been ticked - Official Reveal, Official Launch and Official Review by T-BHP

This is also the much-awaited litmus test review. Post this, unlike the earlier mass of fence-sitters, there will only be two camps - the ones who's heart is already in the driver's seat and those calling out the sour grapes from the other side of the fence.

But then again, that's precisely what a jeep-like vehicle is all about. Those who are mentally prepared for it will see the real beauty of the Thar above all else. The others will be left extolling the virtues of a car.
Old 15th October 2020, 23:16   #33
BHPian

@aditya fantastic review. Rated 5 stars. The point about handling, the second row and overall practicality of a 17L vehicle is very good.

As you have mentioned, Mahindra went for Lifestyle pricing, but they shouldn't have cut corners in OVRM size, reverse camera, wiper for the rear and bit more cushioning or packaging along the protruding wheel arches in the rear. I am sure it wouldn't cost them a bomb to provide better experience for customers!

Personally for me, the ride wouldn't be much of a difference I guess. I have lived with the Scorpio for more than a decade and I wouldn't find much difference if I decide to pick up another vehicle from a similar platform

I am going to take my own sweet time, wait for a year or 2, till the niggles are sorted out while I take test drives to explore further.

I also browsed through the accessories brochure. I did not see any luggage carriers. So it is a given that you cannot put a luggage carrier on the roof. I thought it would be available as an accessory that would have added some value when you try squeeze 3-4 people for road trip.

Overall am impressed with the vehicle, just that I need a clear thought process as this would be another vehicle that would remain with me forever
Old 16th October 2020, 01:12   #34
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2020 at 07:41.
IP_Man is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th October 2020, 08:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
All nice Quotes only..

Only at the cost of some 17.5 Lakhs is the worry part for the fence sitters (I'm one..)
I will not disagree a bit. It is not an easy decision for fence sitter any day and unless the moollah is in abundance, it's an impossible decision.

For me too, it's a leap of faith and honestly a risk I can afford to take now or never. Only thing I have done to help is to keep all near dear ones who matter, know the realities of owning a Jeep and be honest. While I might be overlooking the dislikes, I have tried to be honest about the same with them.

So let's see, if all falls apart or turns into happy memories. My only grudge is the ingress to back seats that I can't do anything about. Rest can be managed.
Best of luck to you too.
justwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 08:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I really don't understand why Mahindra could not have added a bit of length to the Thar. It would have looked more proportional from the side in addition to the extra luggage space
Felt exactly the same when looking at the side profile which looks too boxy. Hope they bring out the extra doors in the next refresh and make it more appealing plus better bang for the buck too.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Mahindra Thar Cons

• Very bumpy ride quality. The Thar is never settled, no matter what the road or speed
• Poor road manners at high speed. Best to cruise at 100 - 110 km/h only
• Impractical due to the 2-doors, 4 seats (not 5) & difficult access to the back seat
• Laughably small boot simply isn’t enough for holiday luggage
• Petrol AT is thirsty due to its hefty weight, 150 BHP & torque-converter AT
• Premium pricing for the higher variants. Lot of money for the Thar's limited usability
• Sad feature list for a 17-lakh car. No reversing cam, auto-dimming IRVM, auto headlamps & wipers, electrically-folding ORVMs, rear wash & wipe…
Loved the review, have been waiting for some time for this. I am already looking forward to the Off-road Review.

Few thoughts to share on the cons:
I feel atleast two of the points (Pt 2 and 3 above) can be solved easily with the 4 Door version which is on the cards. It will not only make it more versatile but also increase the acceptance of the car as a First car in the family and not just second of Third choice.
Who knows, even pt 3 can be resolved in the longer version.

However I wonder on the product placement as it will terribly overlap with a Scorpio let’s say and It will be a challenge to place it properly in the pricing band.
Also Higher variant prices touching above 15L is a bit of a stretch for the target audience.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mahindra Thar Review

Mahindra Thar Pros

• Fun, fun, fun! A loveable car that will bring you loads of laughs & smiles
• Handsome Jeep styling & brute character. Tough build too
• Far more user-friendly than the ol’ Thar due to superior interiors & the amenities
• Very competent, refined turbo-petrol & diesel engine range
• Butter-smooth 6-speed Automatics available with both engines
• 4x4 hardware, offroad capability & 226 mm GC. Get ready for slush, muck, deserts, jungles & the mountains!
• Practical hard-top or fun convertible available in the Thar – take your pick
• Features such as removable doors, ESP, cruise control, hill hold / descent, TPMS…

Mahindra Thar Cons

• Very bumpy ride quality. The Thar is never settled, no matter what the road or speed
• Poor road manners at high speed. Best to cruise at 100 - 110 km/h only
• Impractical due to the 2-doors, 4 seats (not 5) & difficult access to the back seat
• Laughably small boot simply isn’t enough for holiday luggage
• Petrol AT is thirsty due to its hefty weight, 150 BHP & torque-converter AT
• Premium pricing for the higher variants. Lot of money for the Thar's limited usability
• Sad feature list for a 17-lakh car. No reversing cam, auto-dimming IRVM, auto headlamps & wipers, electrically-folding ORVMs, rear wash & wipe…
• Apprehensions of niggles & Mahindra's hit-or-miss after-sales service quality
One will be always happy by reading Pros but when it comes to Cons, one gets really disappointed. In 2020 also we will have to live with basic things like bumpy ride, poor road manners, no boot space, not suited for more than 2 people, and many more? That too after paying more than million bucks? I know people will start saying that its not made for this & that, still i am very disappointed with these crucial things missing in today's world. Can't think of buying one even as a second car at home. I can just have it for show off on road if i have lots of spare money and parking space available.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 11:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:
TPMS displays the exact PSI & temperature of each tyre. System monitors spare tyre too:

Er... the display does not seem to show the pressure and temperature of the spare tyre. Could you please clarify what you meant by "monitor"?

Some questions:

1. Did you have an opportunity to see how easy or difficult it is to make U-turns on city streets? I mean the steering feel as well as the turning circle.

2. Did you have any opportunities to see how much of a vomit-comet this is, while taking curves or changing lanes at highway speeds? I know the old Scorpio was one and the newer Scorpios still were, but not as bad. This one point would be a major make-or-break for our other-halves.

Thanks and cheers
Old 16th October 2020, 11:55   #40
BHPian

Awesome detailed review! My experience in Jeeps is very limited but would love to own this one as a second car to satisfy urges and probably will be a daily driver thanks to off road tracks in Peenya Industrial Town!
Old 16th October 2020, 12:00   #41
BHPian

Quick question for those who have booked the Thar. Did you get any confirmation date of delivery from Mahindra or only a tentative date from dealer?
My dealer Sireesh Auto, is saying Mahindra will send delivery date and I have not got any even after getting an order confirmation on Monday.

Any inputs if the dealers story is correct ?
Old 16th October 2020, 12:10   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review. Thanks for sharing. Honestly after a long time a launch that makes you want to go buy it immediately ignoring all the impracticalities of it. In fact was discussing with a couple of my friends to do a joint buy . Would have seriously considered if it was a little cheaper.

Also noticed the structure of the official review has been changed. Not sure if this was done earlier and I missed this before in other recent reviews.

Liked this structure with the detailed images all bunched up after all the text content.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 12:10   #43
KPR
BANNED

The review is exhaustive as always. MS if you're in T-BHP follow this thread closely for your Jimny. The fence sitters who think 17+ lakhs on road for a Thar is too much, only MS can attract these fence sitters to buy a Jimny at 12L. Forget Thar even Venue-Soneters will come back to MS. Such a decider is Jimny.

Last edited by KPR : 16th October 2020 at 12:33.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:23   #44
BHPian

My unpopular 2 cents - I don't know if its just me, but where did Mahindra spend the money ? Yes, its a decent upgrade from the old Thar, but can you justify 13-17 lakhs ?

Yes, I know heart over common sense, but really ? If the Thar maxed out at 10-12 lakhs, sure. Great toy. But a cut price, less practical, less comfortable wannabe Wrangler for that much money ?

And if you look at it, I mean really look at it, I feel like it follows the guiding principle of most Indian manufacturers - "It doesn't have to be good, just good enough"
NDK286 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 12:27   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Quick question for those who have booked the Thar. Did you get any confirmation date of delivery from Mahindra or only a tentative date from dealer?
My dealer Sireesh Auto, is saying Mahindra will send delivery date and I have not got any even after getting an order confirmation on Monday.

Any inputs if the dealers story is correct ?
No, the dealer has gone silent after taking the payment. He just sent an order number but I am not even able to get a full order confirmation with variant, color etc.

Earlier when I spoke to them, they are not providing any specific dates. They referred to the fact that local government approvals for registering the car etc. needs to happen. My guess is that Mahindra may be have got far more bookings than they anticipated and may be staring at a capacity crunch.
Also, there may be many speculative bookings that get subsequently canceled, so it is probably safer for them to produce variants that are most popular so that even if someone cancels, it is highly likely someone else would pick the same car up. I think they will probably make a lot of Petrol and Diesel AT hard tops and the Diesel MT hard top, all in black color.

Earlier in the year, they had spoken of the parts supply chain getting disrupted due to COVID and I don't believe the industry is fully out of the woods yet on this. I would not be surprised if substantial deliveries do not start till next year.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed