Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 14:47   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Finally got time to read this review. great attention to detail.

But still, probably this is the first review from TBHP that I can't rate 5Stars. ONLY because there is no off-roading review. I really had expected that especially for the Thar.

Will be looking forward to something on those line when TBHP gets to drive and review the MTs

About the car...It's so gorgeous! It may be blatant copying, but we get to drive a car that looks as good as a car that's much many times more expensive
Add to it the good marketing that Mahindra does, They have an absolute winner here.
Old 25th November 2020, 17:00   #542
Senior - BHPian

The Official Review summary of the Thar needs a Major update !
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 18:55   #543
BHPian

Mahindra Thar gets a four star rating in latest Global NCAP’s crash tests. The Autocar India report -
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-rating-419266

The highlight - "along with a four-star adult occupant protection rating, the new Mahindra Thar also secured 4 stars and 41.11 points for child occupant protection - the highest score of all cars tested by @GlobalNCAP till date"

Last edited by greenoval : 25th November 2020 at 19:17.
greenoval is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:31   #544
Senior - BHPian

Pawan Goenka has confirmed that the Thar is booked till May 2021. Mahindra to focus on Domestic demand before exporting New Thar

Quote:
Pawan Goenka, the MD and CEO of Mahindra and Mahindra said, "We have to first take care of the waiting list in India. That has to be our priority." The new-gen Mahindra Thar has become a runaway success for the home-grown SUV manufacturer in India. In just the first 20 days of its launch, Mahindra had already received over 20,000 bookings for the SUV.

Goenka said, "So, we are not going to rush into exporting it, once we get the waiting list down to a reasonable level, of let's say a couple of months or something, then only we'll seriously look at exporting. We might send a small batch or something like that, but the serious look will happen only after we have taken care of the waiting list in India."
https://www.carandbike.com/news/mahi...w-thar-2330125
Venkatesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 19:32   #545
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note : All discussions regarding Thar having 4 star GNCAP is here.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 10:54   #546
Senior - BHPian

FE Update for all who want to know the FE of the AT Diesel.

I have driven the car for over 400 Km's and the FE shown is nearly 11.5 km in heavy city traffic with AC on only 50% of the time due to the low temperatures.

I will tank up Again today and let you guys know the exact but it is pretty impressive for an engine and car this size.
vkochar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 11:12   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
FE Update for all who want to know the FE of the AT Diesel.

I have driven the car for over 400 Km's and the FE shown is nearly 11.5 km in heavy city traffic with AC on only 50% of the time due to the low temperatures.

I will tank up Again today and let you guys know the exact but it is pretty impressive for an engine and car this size.
That's pretty good, after you have added more KM and after the 1st service, FE will be healthier.
Old 26th November 2020, 11:26   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Can you please shed some light on the final invoicing and the components of the pricing? The pricing sheet that was shared by my dealer has the following components which I would request your inputs on:
Incidental Charges was 5900 in my case.
2 and 3 did not apply as I did not opt for them.

Compare Insurance from Policybazaar. Dealers might say that you must get insurance from them but ask them to give in writing and raise a complaint with Mahindra, if required. Finally, if the dealer reduces the price you may go with them or outside. My dealer reduced the price by a huge margin but it was still Zero Dep Bumper to Bumper.

I did not opt for any coating from them but I might go for a PPF.
OneLivingLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:16   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Pawan Goenka has confirmed that the Thar is booked till May 2021. Mahindra to focus on Domestic demand before exporting New Thar

https://www.carandbike.com/news/mahi...w-thar-2330125
Regarding ramping up of production, could they not have flexible assembly lines, catering to multiple cars at once (in addition to dedicated lines). In Mahindra's case, they could switch TUV's assembly lines to support Thar for brief period and then use it for TUV / Thar / next gen Scorpio (like one line for various body on frame cars). I do not know if they are doing it now. I do understand the logistics overhead and investment, for such a setup, would be high. But curious to know if it would help in the longer run, for domestic and export production.
Old 26th November 2020, 14:42   #550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstuck View Post
Regarding ramping up of production, could they not have flexible assembly lines, catering to multiple cars at once (in addition to dedicated lines).
Bottleneck will not just be assembly lines.

Almost every single vendor has to ramp up production for Mahindra to have a steady stream of parts to increase their assembly. Flexibility is easier said that done in cases like cars where the product is essential made up of almost 30,000 parts (average as per studies) supplied by ~3 tiers of vendor relationships.

Car makers like Maruti and Hyundai will have a bigger advantage here due to the sheer numbers involved, parts sharing and a lot of absolute bargaining power over their suppliers.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 14:51   #551
Senior - BHPian

Trims, Plastics, rubber, glass besides the casting components / steel parts can all be a big capacity bottleneck from the suppliers point of view. Besides, Europe is on lockdown's and I am thinking that the AT gear box has to be coming from there. It is not easy to ramp up capacity at the suppliers sides, and it is a much bigger task in developing new suppliers for key components, some of them may take months and months.

Till then, I guess its going to be the long wait time.

I am now almost convinced to take the delivery in December, just in case my dealer is able to do something to advance by a few weeks, instead of the last week of Jan 2020 commit. Let's see..
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 15:15   #552

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2020 at 06:19.
WindPacer is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th November 2020, 17:04   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Besides, Europe is on lockdown's and I am thinking that the AT gear box has to be coming from there. It is not easy to ramp up capacity at the suppliers sides, and it is a much bigger task in developing new suppliers for key components, some of them may take months and months.
Transmission is an Aisin warner unit and has to come from Japan.
I used to interact with Aisin engineers during the development of same transmission for Scorpio Pickup AT (sold in Export markets), they take a lot of care during planning and once planned they don't change their plan easily.

So I am guessing that Aisin's supply might be the bottleneck for AT variants.
saikarthik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 19:31   #554

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Bottleneck will not just be assembly lines.

Almost every single vendor has to ramp up production for Mahindra to have a steady stream of parts to increase their assembly. Flexibility is easier said that done in cases like cars where the product is essential made up of almost 30,000 parts (average as per studies) supplied by ~3 tiers of vendor relationships.

Car makers like Maruti and Hyundai will have a bigger advantage here due to the sheer numbers involved, parts sharing and a lot of absolute bargaining power over their suppliers.
I agree and understand the complexities of ramping up vendor supply, in multiple locations. This would be a logistical nightmare as well.

Slightly off-topic. If we look at Jeep wrangler, in US, there would be multiple products. Like 4 door, two door and pick-up version as well. Likewise for a pickup truck model like F-150. I know that sales of F150 or Jeep wrangler is much much more higher. I just wish they have a mini-platform with multitple versions, for Thar.

I know they are exporting. But I just wish Mahindra could tap into more export markets. When there are multiple versions with higher sales then it could translate to flexible assembly lines. Just thinking out loud here
Old 28th November 2020, 11:24   #555
BHPian

Mahindra has not even managed to get all the Thar models updated with the RTO.

Got delivery on the 12th but still not registered because the diesel MT convertible top is not updated in the Madhya Pradesh RTO. Who takes responsibility if there's a problem with the authorities ? The Mahindra executive I spoke to said "sarkari kaam hai, hum bhi kya kar sakte hain"

Extremely irresponsible of Mahindra to not manage such a basic thing that too after a wait of so many months
abhinavsureka is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks