Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2020, 21:40   #571
udy
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Right on both counts. This is indeed Thar #1 modified by Bimbra 4*4. Here is a detailed video from 91 wheels -

https://Youtu.be/k8IQo-Sfcho
Did anyone notice the higher profile tires touching the wheel well?. If you watch the video closely at around 3.50 when they are explaining the new bumper, you can clearly make out the difference in the front wheels where the left wheel is completely turned, the right wheel look disproportionate which may be due to the wider tire fouling the wheel well. Looks somewhat clear that this is the issue. FYI, the upgraded tires are of 285/65 profile on the original alloys if I am not wrong.
udy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 23:11   #572
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar gets a traditional welcome at Prince of Udaipur’s Palace

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20201129231638_twitter.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th November 2020 at 23:28.
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 00:56   #573
DSY

Came across these pictures of The New Mahindra Thar with some serious Audio System updates.
The work seems to be professionally done with and the enclosures are also neatly placed. Attaching the images below:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.35.37-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.36.01-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.36.14-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.36.23-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.36.35-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.36.46-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.36.57-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.37.06-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.37.18-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.35.46-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.38.04-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.38.13-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20201130-12.38.22-am.png  

DSY is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 01:55   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurav_Nair View Post
I can't imagine the ride quality with those wheels!
IMHO, those wheels don't suit the Thar. But again, it's the owner's choice, I'm happy if they are happy.

For me, an off-roader like the Thar should have small rims + beefy tires.
Just received the below image from a friend, it's the 2020 Thar modified by Bimra4x4. Apparently, this is the Thar Serial No.1

Attachment 2087131
Attachment 2087151
Agreed. If given a choice I would go in for 33 inch wheels (in contrast to the 31s which come factory fitted) by downsizing the 18 inch alloys and fitting 16/17 inch negative off set steel rims. Does anyone know if anyone has tried installing 33 inch tire in the new Thar and whether that would entail bringing about any changes to the 1) gearing ratio 2) requirement of leveling /lift kit and 3) the stock spare tire mount to support the extra weight?

The new Thar modified by Bimbra looks stunning but I feel that the original grill continues to be an eye sore and that could have been replaced. Any information if this bumper is Airbag Compatible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Holistically speaking what are the mods that you would classify as a Must have for the A.N.T ?

This would be my list in order of priority:

1) Front Arm Rest with Storage. Robustness is a must and access to Cup Holders and Handbrake shouldn't be a compromise.

2) Utility Storage space with Armrest and Bottle Holder for rear seat. The prototype design shared by Bimbra 4x4 looks great. The storage space needs to be more deep with much better fit and finish.

3) Front Grill with a metal Mesh Background to avoid the Silver radiator from making its ugly presence felt.

4) Limb Risers with minimal drilling on body

Pls keep adding based on your Requirement.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7844...3837756157835/

I hope the 4x4 garage owners are listening 🎧
I think that the Thar convertible could really use a Cargo net which would vastly help in making it more practical from safety point of view for someone who has small children or a pet to ferry around in the Thar. It would also help act as a deterrent for snatchers/ thieves in parking lots / traffic lights at bay. The added militaristic Arnold Schwarzenegger 'feel' would be a bonus! I was thinking of ordering one from Amazon USA but from videos that I watched on Youtube I found out that the Cargo nets available for the Wrangle would not ipso facto be compatible with the new Thar for lack of hooks in the right places. Maybe some Indian jugaad would be able to solve the problem.

In addition, the Thar could really use something like the Freedom Hard top of the Wrangler as that would greatly add to the appeal of the new Thar. My observation from the videos on Youtube are that it could probably be fitted to the Convertible model as it comes with hooks on the front side. I found the following video of a Freedom Hard top Wrangler being fixed with a convertible roof and it makes me wonder if the vice versa would be possible on the new Thar convertible.

Peaky_blinder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 07:52   #575
BHPian

Some nicely done neat interiors on this Thar. The armrest and the cup holders do make a lot of sense and take away the crudeness from the rear part of the cabin.
Something Mahindra should consider for the facelift.

Old_Salt is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 08:34   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

2020 Mahindra Thar Price Increased – Hike WEF From 1st Dec.
Quote:
Mahindra now has planned to increase the pricing of the 2020 Mahindra Thar. Existing customers who have already booked their Thars or other customers who have shown interest in buying a Thar are getting pre-recorded messages via phone calls; SMS or even emails from Mahindra stating that the prices of the Thar are going to go up from 1st December, 2020.

New Prices shall be updated shortly

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th November 2020 at 08:36.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 08:44   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
I just received a phone call (a pre recorded robo call) apparently from Mahindra informing that about the upcoming price increase on the Thar starting December 1st. It also said that this won’t affect those who already booked. Anyone else get a similar call?
Seems odd, there have been no reports of this in our over-active auto-social-media. However, if true, I would not be surprised. Such a strategy has multiple advantages for Mahindra:

Prevention/Reduction in cancellations - Existing booked customers would hesitate to cancel, knowing they will not get a good deal if they postpone their purchases to next year or beyond. M&M gets to retain its order book and dealers get to retain the deposit amounts and continue with to earn interest on those.

Discourage variant and color changes and get a firmer demand profile - Again, existing booked customers would make these changes less often, knowing they will have to pay a price as the changes would translate to a new booking ID.

Higher realisation and profit margin on new bookings- M&M do not have a demand problem, it is a supply problem. So, the price increase would help M&M to improve profitability. Although the pricing seems to be on par with the market offerings, please remember the Thar is very content rich with no excise benefits at all. For a Diesel Auto Thar that sells at 13.75 lakhs, roughly a third goes towards GST. M&M is deriving a net realisation of only around 9 lakhs for a large 2.2 litre turbo charged Diesel engine, and expensive imported automatic transmission from Aisin, and full 4X4 gear including low range transfer case, hill descent, hill hold, etc. Comapre that to a Creta with an 1.5 NA petrol engine and CVT only, with a few gizmos thrown in like sunroof, air-purifier and Big touchscreen, which qualifies for lower excise duties, yet demands lakhs more on pricing. M&M will eventually have to raise prices to make margins consistent with their other products, so why not implement a price hike when the order book is strong and there is no worries of immediate demand drop as prices are raised?

I know this sucks for new customers, but it is a reasonable strategy for M&M.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 30th November 2020 at 08:47.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 09:04   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
They sure look good.

Here I was thinking to downgrade from 18' alloys to 16" steel wheels with better rubber. Different priorities
There are Owners who concur with you.

18" alloys to 16" offroad rims with 275/70R16 BF Goodrich.

Image courtsey: Chakra.India IG page.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201130_090230.jpg  

BANDHAV is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 09:35   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
folks, do you know what all is included in this ₹50k worth style pack which is mandatorily included in total package.
There are no accessories or styling packages mandated by Mahindra. I guess that it's a trick played by the dealer. I received my vehicle about 2 weeks ago and picked accessories just what I wanted.
Old 30th November 2020, 10:58   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2020 Mahindra Thar Price Increased – Hike WEF From 1st Dec.
Any member taking this bait?

I personally did not want to book the vehicle this year given how bad it has been all round. However, if this news is to be believed, even a "soft correction" will have a domino effect on the registration cost, taxes and insurance. And the "softness" of the correction has not yet been quantified.

As if this was not enough, today is the only day available to make the decision.

Any expert advice from the members?

EDIT (UPDATE):

I was checking the Mahindra website for online booking modalities. On registration I got an almost immediate call from Mahindra. I checked with them on the possibility of a price hike effective tomorrow, to which I was told that they don't have any formal update on this as yet.

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 30th November 2020 at 11:23. Reason: Update
Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 11:32   #581
BHPian

Finally, I got my Diesel MT HT Thar delivered last Wednesday (25/11/2020) after booking on 3rd Oct. It was delivered before the CPD of 3rd December.
The Odo during delivery was 266 kms which was clarified by Mahindra themselves before delivery.
Posting a few pics here -
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-_psd11601024x768.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-_psd11671024x768.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-_psd11891024x768.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-_psd12151024x768.jpg

I made a delivery vlog too -

Surprisingly, the average fuel economy shows > 15 in city (Kolkata). I will do a tank to tank and check the actual mileage. Since then, I drove around 500 kms till now and my experience was good. Big potholes aren't a concern anymore but the steering feedback feels too harsh.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201129_162822.jpg

Planning to get the first service done this weekend just before 1000 kms.
OneLivingLife is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 14:09   #582
BHPian

Went ahead and have booked the car. Have not TD'ed it yet, but pretty sure I want one. Besides if the hike is even 10k, would be very disappointed for not booking with a small amount and paying more money for the same thing.
Old 30th November 2020, 15:59   #583
BHPian

I am interested in a Thar TD. Since I am based out of Bangalore, I called up the 2 prominent dealerships here for a TD. It was interesting to learn the following from them.

Each of them have 3-4 dealerships in the city and they circulate the same TD vehicles spread across the week between these dealerships. This means, one would have to wait for the TD Thar to arrive at the dealership closest to your location for a test drive. Alternatively, I could drive down to the dealership where the TD vehicles are present. There is absolutely no option of getting the TD vehicle to one's residence

As I have already read on this forum, the sales person informed me that the prices are going to increase across Thar models by end of December, therefore he kept urging me to book now and avail the advantage rather than wait for a price hike which seems to be imperative.

I have owned a XUV for 5 years and have always known Mahindra to be fairly customer centric as opposed to Hyundai dealers who come across as plain arrogant. This almost tells me that Mahindra is asking their potential customers to slow down, not come to the dealerships for a Thar and make their decisions to buy one until they are out of the red from a production perspective.

I understand the demand is high but these tactics do put me off. Good luck to those who have booked
shiva75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:14   #584

Finally got my car. Shifted from MT to AT at the last moment due to my latest Innova AT ride exeperience to Darjeeling. The Aisin gearbox is fabulous. The 4x4 gearing too works without a hassle. Had to read the manual mutiple times to get a hang of it. When I got it the tyres were filled at around 60psi (crazy!!!) on all 4 and the thar was wobbling around like crazy. Now it drives like it should after adjustment. All was good until.

THE ROOF LEAKED (Hardtop variant) after the first car wash at home, the roof unit is divided. And there is a gap in the middle from where the water seeped inside and while the car did some turns it trickled onto my hand, happened twice during a 20 min ride (shocking!!!).

There is only one youtube video where the host talks about this issue and no one else has made a comment on it. I NEED advice on this embarrassing issue. Any help/suggestion/advice from members would be highly appreciated. Meanwhile I have sent the Thar back for the servive guys to take a look. I hope they have a solution for it. But I am doubtful as the whole thing is at a very early period plus I think mine is the second or third car in this small town :-(.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th November 2020 at 19:15. Reason: Removing excessive .....
gobarboss is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 16:18   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Folks, do you know what all is included in this ₹50k worth style pack which is mandatorily included in total package.
I have not taken a single rupee worth of accessory. Nothing. Nothing is mandatory. This is all at dealer level. My dealer has not argued even once. I told him I will plonk in a few things at my own sweet time and when I want. He politely agreed. I have ordered camouflage seat covers and carpet mats which have not arrived yet.

So kindly do a double check.

Most Viewed