Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:09   #631
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
They should have made this hard top as single mould instead of 2 piece.
It is a thermoformed component. Forming it in one piece while theoretically possible is easier said than done. The area where the cantilever roof for the driver meets the rear canopy is a material flow nightmare and will have aesthetic and tolerance issues. Higher rejection rates, tooling cost cannot be absorbed at Thar volumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobarboss View Post
I am ok with as of now.
If the Mahindra service guys hear you say this you will never ever have a sealed hardtop. The only way to get this resolved is to raise hue and cry and escalate matters to the regional Mahindra team. If I were you, I would've left the car with them until they gave me a new roof. This is a typical Indian OEM concept of using early adopters as R&D teams.

Last edited by yd_gli : 2nd December 2020 at 19:23.
yd_gli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:18   #632
BHPian

35-36 waiting period is confusing me to no end. I wanted to buy the Thar (LX, D, MT, CT) in the second half of 2021. It is just a "want" and there is absolutely no "need" of a Thar for me. I have a Crysta and a Baleno which are solving my "need" more than enough. But what is life without these indulgences? So I am all decided to buy the Thar in second half of 2021 after seeing any initial niggles.

But if the 35-36 weeks of waiting period sustains, I have to book the car now and expect it to be delivered in second half of 2021 or should I wait till June/July 2021 for booking assuming that the waiting period will reduce and hope to get the car in a month or two. but if the same waiting period sustains till July of next year, I will get the Thar only in 2022.

I am confused.
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:38   #633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghukodali View Post

I am confused.
Don't worry, you can always wait and watch the trend till March and then decide when to book. My guess by that time production and delivery will stabilise and things would be more predictable. Who knows maybe a lot of nice preowned ones after the initial hype would also have hit the market.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 20:09   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
35-36 waiting period is confusing me to no end.
I am confused.
I think both will be same. Like Jaggu mentioned, things may become streamline in a few months and booking in March might now make much of a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Who knows maybe a lot of nice preowned ones after the initial hype would also have hit the market.
Dont you think the initial set of pre-owned Thars will be extremely overpriced?
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 21:38   #635

Re: 1000 km nearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
So I have almost done 1000 kms ( 950 to be precise )

I am driving this everyday and it is turning out to be an absolute brilliant decision over the Seltos and Creta for my requirements.

Having driven an Innova AT the last nearly 5 years transitioning to this has been very easy. The brute power is similar and the gearbox very very good.

The decision to have taken an AT was superb. The amount of calls and drinking coffee or simply driving in super heavy traffic is a breeze and anyone with a busy on the move lifestyle and thinking of getting this in Manual should rethink.
Despite my roof leak issue I am absolutely in love with how the thar handles. It was a dream to own a capable, no fuss, economic ride like this forever and it has been realised. I sold two out of my 3 bikes to make space for one. Innova AT gave me the confidence to go for the AT and I cancelled manual for it. The gearbox is brilliant on both manual and AT. The innova AT handled steep Darjeeling route like a boss even while fully loaded which gave me the final push to go with AT. I will be honest Thar s is even better. I live in a very crowded town with quite a few opportunities to urban offroad around. And the suspension on this all Indian vehicle might be the best I have ever experienced that too on 18in rims. My parents are above 60 and they enjoy being in it. The kids jump with joy. I travel to workplace in it daily now instead of my xuv300 because of its short wheelbase and not too wide presence. The lazy steering will help develop good forearms over time hehe. I am sure the next big upgrade on this machine will be awe inspiring. If you can hold on to your emotions for now I think you should definitely wait for an upgrade simply because it will be niggle free. The sitting position in this car brings a big smile on my face. The unique feeling of it is just unbeatable. The highway stability is pure class. Waiting to get the first service and take a long fun trip.
gobarboss is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 23:49   #636
BHPian

Does anyone know what is being mentioned on the Thar convertible's registration certificate - soft top/ open / or convertible ?

The reason I ask is that I spoke to someone from the agency and I was told that the registration authority in Chandigarh is writing 'Soft top' for the convertible and soft top alike which is bound to create problems if one wants to drive it with the top down. Can anyone shed some light on this..
Old 3rd December 2020, 01:14   #637

Quote:
35-36 waiting period is confusing me to no end. I wanted to buy the Thar (LX, D, MT, CT) in the second half of 2021. It is just a "want" and there is absolutely no "need" of a Thar for me. I have a Crysta and a Baleno which are solving my "need" more than enough. But what is life without these indulgences? So I am all decided to buy the Thar in second half of 2021 after seeing any initial niggles.

But if the 35-36 weeks of waiting period sustains, I have to book the car now and expect it to be delivered in second half of 2021 or should I wait till June/July 2021 for booking assuming that the waiting period will reduce and hope to get the car in a month or two. but if the same waiting period sustains till July of next year, I will get the Thar only in 2022.

I am confused.
I think the delivery would definitely stabilise as we move forward. Here's some math:

Assumption - Mahindra has 20,000 bookings currently

Capacity for Oct-Nov-Dec : 6000 vehicles

Balance - 14000

Capacity J-F-M-A-M : 15000 vehicles

Ideally Mahindra will be able to deliver these vehicles by May. At least the first 20K bookings. Now one critical factor that has not been factored in are the cancellations. Majority of these purchases are by first time Thar buyers and not hard core enthusiasts. These folks would be prone to cancel as well. I feel the cancellations should start coming in from Jan onwards.

Assume - 30% cancel. 30%*14000 = 4200 cancellations

By Mar end, Mahindra would have delivered this initial rush of 20K bookings if we factor in the cancellations. This would also bring production in line with demand.
rudrakshmahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 03:03   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Congratulations!
BTW, the variant booked by you HT/AT/Diesel is the most popular one and hence the long wait. I was told by a friend who booked one, that convertible tops (in both petrol and diesel) are available much sooner.
You are right, when I spoke to the sales rep today, she told me CT seems to have lesser waiting period. However, she was advising me not to change the booking, HT is more practical etc. I dont have plans to change my mind at this point in time though. She is going to find out more details tomorrow and let me know if it can be earlier than what is indicated currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
So, now I have two bookings and If cancel, they will charge me Rs 2100. Waiting for their chocolates to recover a part, hope the cancellation charges stay Rs 2100 after delivery of chocolates too.
BTW, Delivery is 35-37 week for both locations.
Have you missed the free cancellation within 48 hours! In this case (failed payment - show it to them if you have an evidence of it), it seems to be a fault of payment system (razorpay or whichever it was) that either the system or M&M should own as you are already have another successful booking on the same name.
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:08   #639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Dont you think the initial set of pre-owned Thars will be extremely overpriced?
It will be love it OR hate it relation, and the latter lot are good options to cut a deal with Anyways all this is at this point speculation since the vehicle has to first hit the roads for most lol
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:00   #640
BHPian

I think the potential price hike has been announced early as a means to make future buyers aware of a potential increase before they receive their Thar.

It seems the early announcement was to specifically insulate people who have already booked the Thar, which will be being delivered well in to the summer as things stand. So any price increase announced now or later would only really come into actual effect from May - June, which would be over 7 - 8 months post launch of the Thar. Much better than announcing a hike in March/April and burdening people who have already booked their cars with a higher price when it came time for delivery.

But! I don't see where the scope for an increased price will be once the initial rush of customers has been dealt with. We all expect the Thar to be selling between 1000-2000 units by the time 2022 rolls around. So we will have to wait and see what Mahindra's plan for long term pricing is.
ask99 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:44   #641
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Have you missed the free cancellation within 48 hours.
The same person called me for 2 different bookings. I asked him and he had some scripted information that how cars are allocated for production immediately and blah blah.. I Thanked him and that was end of conversation.

Have kept both bookings open and, depending on the delivery/ dealer experience, will take a call when they are ready.

PS - I haven't even seen the Thar yet in showroom
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:22   #642
BHPian

What would be the journey of a customer who has booked the vehicle online?

My experience so far:

1. I booked online on 30th November by paying 21K (status showed - Order in process)
2. On 1st December I got a verification/confirmation call from M&M (status updated to - Order confirmed)
3. Today, 3rd, my contact at the chosen dealership asked me for a copy of my PAN, Aadhar card and electricity bill.

Is it anytime soon that I can expect my CPD to come through and/or I should follow up with the dealer?

Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:27   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
What would be the journey of a customer who has booked the vehicle online?

My experience so far:
Is it anytime soon that I can expect my CPD to come through and/or I should follow up with the dealer?

Thanks.

It takes 48hours for the CPD to get generated.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:29   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
CPD? What is that?? (pun intended). The word CPD has become a joke.

Didn't you just read a post somewhere up that the waiting periods are in the range of 36 weeks. All you should do now is relax and go through the various ownership experiences of fellow members.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:47   #645
BANNED

Fellow BHPians -

I'm in a deep quandary and need your valuable inputs, would be thankful if you may chime in here.

Being based out of the NCR, I'm looking at a Petrol Manual Thar.

Now, if it has to be a Thar it has to be a convertible.

Here is the problem with the above 2 taken into consideration,

AX Optional has the above 2 criterion met but the LX with just 60K apart has a lot of goodies on offer but the LX does not come with a Convertible Manual Petrol.

Now, what would you guys suggest, go for an LX Hard top and look for soft top options in the open market or get the AX Optional and get the alloys and other stuff from the open market, on the AX I shall miss out on the BLD, ESP and other things that cannot be retrofitted.

I was about to book the AX STD and then came in the news that they are no longer accepting the STD bookings and with all the hooplah doing rounds, don't know if it ever open up.

Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks much.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks