Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 08:32   #796
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Here's a better white (courtesy 91wheels), all covered in snow.

One doubt though - Bunny Punia mentions that one benefit BS6 diesel vehicles is that they start without any issues in cold temperatures. Any idea what is the technical reason for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Here is a proper side look of the white modded thar.
And a walk around video -

Last edited by moralfibre : 18th December 2020 at 10:50. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 08:43   #797
BHPian

How to decode the VIN number of Thar?
Any leads please. Just received my Thar VIN details....delivery in next 7 days.

Can't wait to lay my hand on her
techfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 08:49   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post

Put up the VIN on the VIN thread, @a4anurag @wildon the VIN decode experts will do the needful.

ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN)

Congrats on your Thar.

Last edited by Vinod_nair : 18th December 2020 at 09:15.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 09:13   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One doubt though - Bunny Punia mentions that one benefit BS6 diesel vehicles is that they start with any issues in cold temperatures. Any idea what is the technical reason for it?
The recommended diesel type is commercially available vehicular Ultra-low Sulfur Highway Diesel that meets the BIS standard (IS 1460; 2017 BS VI specification or equivalent).

During freezing weather if the fuel is not winterized or is insufficiently winterized, waxing/gelling may take place in the fuel, leading to interruption in fuel supply to the engine. For smooth functioning and reliable operation of the engine during cold weather conditions, use winterized ULSD.

This is what the manual states. Guess, Bunny Punia followed it to the T!!
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 15:26   #800
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar Twitter handle Thanked Team-BHP for the Car of the Year Award.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20201218152238_twitter.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201218_152204.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 01:34   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
Can anybody shed some light on:

1. Gear ratios of the new thar as compared to the older one
and other off-roaders,
3. M-hawk engine performance as compared to the Scorpio's?
Here are the gear ratios for the new Thar and the Thar CRDe -

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-crde-gear-ratio.png
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-gear-ratios.jpg

The Thar sounds and drives smoother than the Scorpio - a hard top will make you doubt if the engine is Petrol or Diesel. The power delivery is linear, and tractability is typical Mahindra - damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post

Look up the 10th and the 12th letter in the VIN - 10th letter is the year and 12th is the month.

Month codes - H= Aug. Skip I, J=Sep, ..., M=Dec
Year codes - L = 2020

All the best for your new addition!
ph03n!x is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 04:44   #802
BHPian

Since the Thar does not have A-Pillar grab handles, would it be an easy fix to get the Wild boar ones fitted?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-wild-boar.jpg

The above picture was taken from Bimbra's Thar#1 mod job.

My query stems from the fact that the above cannot be a bolt on accessory, and might involve a couple of holes being drilled into the A-pillar itself.
Should that be the case, would there be any issues with the door closure clearances and further, is it recommended drilling holes into the A-pillar?
I suppose the same might not affect the structural integrity of the A-pillar as many larger off roaders do come with the same.

Kindly advise, fellow members.
Capt.Arun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 10:39   #803
BHPian

Have received these 2 brochures in a group, one is from Classic Service Point, Noida and the other from Bimbra, Gurgaon. Both contain the mods available and the prices for the mods. The one from Classic Service Point is too large to be uploaded so only sharing the Bimbra one. Please advise how to share to other one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf THAR2020.pdf (7.64 MB, 592 views)
pariyadav is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 18:29   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Here are the gear ratios for the new Thar and the Thar CRDe -

Attachment 2094623
Attachment 2094624

The Thar sounds and drives smoother than the Scorpio - a hard top will make you doubt if the engine is Petrol or Diesel. The power delivery is linear, and tractability is typical Mahindra - damn good.

Look up the 10th and the 12th letter in the VIN - 10th letter is the year and 12th is the month.

Month codes - H= Aug. Skip I, J=Sep, ..., M=Dec
Year codes - L = 2020

All the best for your new addition!
Thanks for sharing, however as someone who has booked a Petrol MT it raises more suspicion whether M&M has any plans to proceed with the production of Petrol Manual or not as so far there aren't any reviews nor any word around and it is just getting a little worrisome. Any one has any info if the Petrol MT LX is scrapped like the base 6 seater or is it going to be further delayed for production ?
Old 19th December 2020, 19:36   #805

Of the colors on the Thar, the popular ones until now seem to have been the Red Rage and Black(courtesy: media coverage of these two color vehicles predominantly). Just like any other susceptible man smitten by the visual appeals of the Rage Red, I walked into the showroom to book a Red Rage Gasoline Automatic Convertible a few days ago at India Garage on Palace Cross Road. I had no second preference for the color before entering the showroom; it was Red and only Red.

Low and behold, it was like showing up for a first date with a girl after chatting online with her for months. Little did I realize that I have been oblivious to the illusion of enhanced beauty that the filters created on her profile photos until I saw the color on the Thar in person. The Rage Red in person wasn't unappealing, but it was just not the beauty it projected on the screens. Since I had never thought that I would go for anything other than the Red, I was in a quandary because the utter joy of booking a vehicle after drooling over it for months was quickly diminishing.

As my luck would have it, in came a Rocky Beige convertible Thar to the parking space, which belonged to a customer. Oh boy, call it contrasting bias or the law of attraction, the Thar looked elegantly spectacular in Rocky Beige. My colleague, who was accompanying me, was equally stunned at how magnificent the Rocky Beige looked on the Thar. After 10-15 mins of glancing back and forth between Red Rage on one side and Rocky Beige on the other, I confirmed the Rocky Beige for booking.

If you are considering colors on Thar, I strongly recommend looking at this color in the flesh before signing the dotted line. The Rocky Beige on this gen Thar is very different from the previous gen. The photos below don't do justice but might help get a feel of what it could be in real.

NB: I had to cancel the booking at India Garage due to the unprofessional and unscrupulous behavior of their sales guy Shravan; escalation of the issue to their manager did nothing to solve the issue. I eventually made the booking at Anant Cars, and they were transparent and professional in their approach.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1885.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1887.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1891.jpg  

antiphyzix is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 20:25   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Thanks for sharing, however as someone who has booked a Petrol MT it raises more suspicion whether M&M has any plans to proceed with the production of Petrol Manual or not as so far there aren't any reviews nor any word around and it is just getting a little worrisome. Any one has any info if the Petrol MT LX is scrapped like the base 6 seater or is it going to be further delayed for production ?
I too have booked a Petrol MT HT in Delhi, and the CPD given is 21.04.2021, booked on 08.10.2020. The Mahindra guys are saying only 2 petrols have been delivered till date in Delhi, including the Thar 1.

I hope the Mahindra guys pay attention to the production of the petrol variants as well.
Old 20th December 2020, 00:01   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
I too have booked a Petrol MT HT in Delhi, and the CPD given is 21.04.2021, booked on 08.10.2020. The Mahindra guys are saying only 2 petrols have been delivered till date in Delhi, including the Thar 1.

I hope the Mahindra guys pay attention to the production of the petrol variants as well.
Well I'd take that claim with a pinch of salt if he's talking about Petrol overall including AT as in my native Patna more than 5 Petrol ATs are delivered so in the national capital including the surrounding areas I'd expect the numbers to be in 100s. However the insecurity is when it comes to "Manual Petrol". I haven't read any reviews or saw and videos regarding the same, no one in my knowledge or as per my research has got one, and adding to that the comprehensive gear ratios shared by ph03n!x there's no mention of the Manual Petrol either. The concoction only adds to the confusion about the certainty of this particular variant
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 02:55   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Well I'd take that claim with a pinch of salt if he's talking about Petrol overall including AT as in my native Patna more than 5 Petrol ATs are delivered so in the national capital including the surrounding areas I'd expect the numbers to be in 100s. However the insecurity is when it comes to "Manual Petrol". I haven't read any reviews or saw and videos regarding the same, no one in my knowledge or as per my research has got one, and adding to that the comprehensive gear ratios shared by ph03n!x there's no mention of the Manual Petrol either. The concoction only adds to the confusion about the certainty of this particular variant
I could actually relate to your outlook on this matter as I had booked a Petrol Auto LX Thar and online reviews for the petrol variants are in fact slim pickings.

If its of any help, as per the latest from my SA in Coimbatore, one petrol MT Thar in Napoli Black has been invoiced and is due for delivery.
Capt.Arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 11:08   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
Have received these 2 brochures in a group, one is from Classic Service Point, Noida and the other from Bimbra, Gurgaon. Both contain the mods available and the prices for the mods. The one from Classic Service Point is too large to be uploaded so only sharing the Bimbra one. Please advise how to share to other one.
The Bimbra catalogue has been updated and sent by Tarun Bimbra himself. Here is the updated catalogue with roof carrier and a few more additions.

Still unable to upload the Classic Service Point catalogue, suggestions please.

Screenshot for price Azad 4×4 bumper is also attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201220105101792_com.whatsapp.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf THAR 2020 Bimbra.pdf (14.59 MB, 369 views)
pariyadav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 11:08   #810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiphyzix View Post
As my luck would have it, in came a Rocky Beige convertible Thar to the parking space, which belonged to a customer. Oh boy, call it contrasting bias or the law of attraction, the Thar looked elegantly spectacular in Rocky Beige..
I had gone from my base in Chennai to Thrissur to complete some land registration work. Never saw a new Thar yet in Chennai or on the road to Thrissur. I was taking an evening walk after completing the work in the Ayyanthole area of Thrissur, and lo and behold, there stands a Thar in Rocky Beige on the side of the road. The colour looked different from your photos. I guess, at different points of the day depending on the lighting, it takes on different appearances.

The one I saw looked shiny and greenish because it was later in the evening, as the day was ending. The car looked magnificent, but I was not still a sure of the colour itself. It looked at a bit too shiny for my taste.I guess the surprise element was because Rocky Beige used to be a dull green matte colour in the Gen1 Thar and now we see it in the greener and much more shiny shade. A couple of photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-b070572e94954cf98d65896c190f64f0.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-37258c14de264cf7ac36e95def97f04a.jpeg  

84.monsoon is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed