Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 12:54   #811
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
The Bimbra catalogue has been updated and sent by Tarun Bimbra himself. Here is the updated catalogue with roof carrier and a few more additions.

Still unable to upload the Classic Service Point catalogue, suggestions please.

Screenshot for price Azad 4×4 bumper is also attached.
Interestingly the Bimbra brochure still doesn't feature their bumper, which I for one am very keen on ordering.

You can try uploading the Azad brochure using a Google drive link. Else, you can simply try posting the relevant screenshots.
Old 20th December 2020, 16:23   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaky_blinder View Post
Interestingly the Bimbra brochure still doesn't feature their bumper, which I for one am very keen on ordering.

You can try uploading the Azad brochure using a Google drive link. Else, you can simply try posting the relevant screenshots.
Yes, the bumper has not been shown in the brochure. I feel the bumper of Azad 4×4 and Prad, Bengaluru is better shaped and better looking (the corners too are detachable in the Prad one).

Here are the screenshots from the brochure. Tried using the drive link but did not work. Thanks for the screenshot advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201220161636966_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201220161628203_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201220161607899_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201220161623505_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201220161603771_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201220161558828_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg  

pariyadav is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 20:19   #813
Senior - BHPian

The past few days have been confusing. I thought I made a mistake choosing the colour of my Thar while booking. I was suddenly in love with the red colour. Youtube and the numerous social media posts polluted with beautifying filters had done the trick. Liking a particular colour is something thats subjective and varies from people to people. So these are completely my personal views.

With my new found love for the red I started calling up the dealers in Kolkata to see if they have anything in display for me to go and see. The dealer I booked with "Shree Auto" was pretty clear that they have no cars other than the black one I test drove. So I called up the other prominent dealer "Royal Motor" and the sales advisor promptly listed down the colours. He was quite proactive as well. He texted me his name and number and the showroom location. He again followed up with me the next day to check if I was indeed coming. When I visited the showroom I was surprised to see he had all the colours in display except Galaxy Grey.

I was quite happy to see all the colours in flesh. The red was a shocker - well kind of. I did not like it in person. I was so pumped to go ahead and change my booking to red. Never mind. The rocky beige was amazing - no doubt. But it is not a colour for me. They also had copper and the aqua marine. The latter was actually quite good. I could not see the galaxy grey but I decided to stick it.

The only other colour I would have wanted was black but looking at the other colour non-solid colours (aqua marine and rocky beige) I am pretty sure the galaxy grey wont disappoint. Nevertheless, I have decided not to alter my booking and now I am somewhat at peace. The dealer mentioned the wait is around 6 months although M&M is saying its around 9 months. So some positive news.

Some real pictures without filters. the black one if from my test drive a couple of weeks back.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201220-6.09.30-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201220-6.09.29-pm-1.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201220-6.09.29-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201206-8.07.00-pm.jpeg  

Pancham is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 00:53   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
I could actually relate to your outlook on this matter as I had booked a Petrol Auto LX Thar and online reviews for the petrol variants are in fact slim pickings.

If its of any help, as per the latest from my SA in Coimbatore, one petrol MT Thar in Napoli Black has been invoiced and is due for delivery.
That's awesome to know. Sorry couldn't PM you for more details as the option isn't available in your profile yet so could you let me know any more details on the same as I think it'll overall be informative for the thread and forum as there is absolutely zero news about Petrol Manual 2020 Thar anywhere on the internet. BTW, congrats on booking the beast!
Old 21st December 2020, 01:04   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
Yes, the bumper has not been shown in the brochure. I feel the bumper of Azad 4×4 and Prad, Bengaluru is better shaped and better looking (the corners too are detachable in the Prad one).
The one from Azad does look good. The one from Prad looks a bit overdone(but the detachable sides are a unique and useful touch).

The biggest issues I have with those is that they are made of metal which would render the Airbags (and the 4 star safety rating) pretty much infructuous. I spoke to Bimbra and supposedly they have one which ensures proper functioning of the airbags. Let's see what they come up with.

Any idea on the tires though. I am planning on upsizing from stock 31' to 33' tires (in either 15/16/17 inch rims) installed when I get the car but can't seem to find a pair anywhere although I am not even sure they will fit. Can BHP'ians who have gotten their hands on the beast shed some light as to what's tentative margin for upsizing with the steering turned all the way?
Old 21st December 2020, 05:57   #816
Team-BHP Support

Any idea if Bimbra is able to service non NCR customers also? Does he have partner workshops in different cities?

Separately, I saw this Thar test mule running somewhere close to Igatpuri while I was driving to Nashik yesterday. The vehicle seems like the same Thar that is being sold. Any idea why they camouflage it once these cars are being sold in the showroom? I would have thought once a car is released it will attract LESS attention while being tested if you were to run it in normal unconcealed avatar.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-86436405afcf4bd1bd0343ed11335a29.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-3138d20456fa430da9ef9484ea656177.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2e125ee3a46a416fb3caafa62a5e1abe.jpeg  

Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 07:04   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
online reviews for the petrol variants are in fact slim pickings.
I did happen to see one from motoroctane. I’m not able to copy the link here. This petrol Thar YouTube review from them came just last week.
Old 21st December 2020, 08:15   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Some real pictures without filters. the black one if from my test drive a couple of weeks back.
Could you or the dealer SA throw more light on the 2nd last picture of the Red Thar, it's an AX ST variant with steel wheels? Is it new from the factory or what?
Old 21st December 2020, 08:27   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Could you or the dealer SA throw more light on the 2nd last picture of the Red Thar, it's an AX ST variant with steel wheels? Is it new from the factory or what?
Glad you asked. That shade with the white rims looked nice. Yes it is a factory spec with front facing seats and a manual tranny. As far as I know the STD variant has been discontinued so this probably the (top) AX variant. From the outside the interiors looked exactly the same as an LX variant sans the touch screen system. If M&M had the exact same 4x4 features in the AX and LX variants then this one would have been the good choice. The wheels look quite good in my view.

Last edited by Pancham : 21st December 2020 at 08:29.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 09:59   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Any idea if Bimbra is able to service non NCR customers also? Does he have partner workshops in different cities?

Separately, I saw this Thar test mule running somewhere close to Igatpuri while I was driving to Nashik yesterday. The vehicle seems like the same Thar that is being sold. Any idea why they camouflage it once these cars are being sold in the showroom? I would have thought once a car is released it will attract LESS attention while being tested if you were to run it in normal unconcealed avatar.
Looks like someone was probably too lazy to take the camouflaging off and kept driving it.

Possibility is they continue testing it as many cars are told to be driven for a certain km range and they may have upped the range keeping in mind the constant feedback they get after making certain modifications.
Old 21st December 2020, 10:22   #821
Senior - BHPian

I was actually thinking that it could be a new shade that the Thar may be introduced with. But I guess it may be just laziness to remove the camauflage after all.
Old 21st December 2020, 11:08   #822
Senior - BHPian

White AX with grey steel wheels, high profile tyres, AT box and a soft top. I will totally dig such a variant. Make it happen Mahindra!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:09   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
White AX with grey steel wheels, high profile tyres, AT box and a soft top. I will totally dig such a variant. Make it happen Mahindra!
Don't think Mahindra will make it happen. Given the current prices, this spec will be priced extremely close to its LX siblings. Since LX has quite a few additional features and also a BLD, it will probably make more sense to get the LX.

What you can do is get an LX and buy white steel wheels separately. Seeing people spend $$$ on chrome treatments and what not, I think we will see very few Thars in the 'tastefully modded cars' thread. Sadly very few are considering white steel wheels.

For me, as additional accessories, I may only get a rear camera and different wheels (later on).

Last edited by Pancham : 21st December 2020 at 13:11.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:38   #824
Senior - BHPian

On the eve of the 10th anniversary of the introduction of the classic Thar CRDe, proud owners of The Mahindra Classics and The All NewThar took part in the second edition of Timeless Mahindra Drive in Pune.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_133552.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_133555.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_133557.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_133600.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_133609.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_133612.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_133615.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_133617.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 18:17   #825
BHPian

Found these pictures on Instagram and boy' oh boy these got my heart racing!! The size is 35/12.5 R17. I think it looks great but I feel it needed a lift kit or at least a leveling kit.

I also have my doubts about the practical aspect of these with regard to the gearing ratio and the additional weight on the spare tire mount leading to rattles.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_173948.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_174128.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_174056.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201221_174113.jpg  

Peaky_blinder is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed