Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2021, 19:47   #1021
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Side note - one needs to put those wired grills for the front windshield, on the onward journey at about 60-70 kmph we heard a small tak sound, I knew it was a stone chip. But no cracks were visible. When we stopped at Chitradurga for refreshment I noticed a long crack. That grew to about 7-8 inches by the time we reached Hospet at night. Looked like this.
Attachment 2107037
Today morning the same crack has moved sideways and looked like this.
Attachment 2107040
Good news is it is a reasonable job at 7500 INR.
I test drove the Thar today & even the Test drive vehicle had a crack on the windshield. I guess after the leaking roof & flying bonnet this is something that Mahindra would have to take care off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I am a happy customer if they are selling them at a premium
Is the wind noise in the Convertible manageable at 100kmph?
I test drove it along with my brother, who has a great sense regarding car audio. He suggested this car would need two layers of damping sheets everywhere possible to reduce the outside noise. Mind you the car was a Hardtop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I have been offered twice now to sell my 2 month old Thar Diesel AT for nearly 1.5 Lacs over the OTR Price.
My Car dealer contacted me and said they are checking with the current few owners if anyone is bored or has grown out of the initial excitement.

The TATA SAFARI could not have been launched at a better time even though it is a vastly different vehicle.
Regarding the offer made by your dealer, I remember the same happening to a lot of BHPians when Baleno & Brezza were launched.

No doubt Safari, if aggressively priced would eat up a lot of sales.
CA Dhruv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 19:49   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the companies like Bharati AXA, ICICI Lombard, Tata AIG, HDFC Ergo, etc. are ok. Don't even look at fly by night recent companies. Also get a quote from these online insurance websites which have options from a number of companies. Will give you a ball park figure for the expected cost.
Take the add-ons like Zero Dep., RTI(Return To Invoice, search for its meaning), Engine Cover, Key Cover, Tire Cover. insurance companies offer these as packages or separate items. These are good to have.
The contact some local offices of the above listed companies and ask them for quotes. Armed with these quotes negotiate with your dealer. He will give you the best possible offer. Take it even if it slightly above the quotes you have got. This will give you good cashless options in case something happens. Also ensure that the insurance company is one of the above of a reputed government company.
Thanks much! That's some really valuable input there! I was asked to get quotes off of insurance marketplace policybazar but I couldnt get the portal to include these suggested add-ons to the policy package besides the Zero Dep. Or I may be doing something wrong. Anyways, I will try and get them on the phone to help build the coverage package. Thanks again for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelkumar View Post
That official reverse camera misses out on adaptive guidelines and the clarity is also said to be bad. If I were you, I would skip this until those are fixed or a better plug-n-play solution(with camera feed coming into the HUD and no cutting of wires) comes into the market.

As suggested above, front parking sensors would be a good addition as it is difficult to judge the corners in tight spaces.
Thanks for the input. I shall follow your guidance on the reverse camera and wait it out for a while as you suggest. Also, good call on the front parking sensors, not sure how I missed those; shall go ahead and add those to the list as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I am just wondering if I should convert my HT booking to a Convertible one.
Is the wind noise in the Convertible manageable at 100kmph?
Dont quote me on this but I believe if you make changes to your existing booking, they cancel it and enter a new order into the system, effectively making it a new booking altogether. I am not aware of your original booking date, but considering the recently announced price increases, you may end up paying more for the convertible top (new booking) than the HT (your existing booking).

If you have booked the HT before December 1, 2020, I believe you will be saving enough money by not cancelling the HT to just purchase an extra CT (just the top) at the time of deliver and still come out even. You can then switch between the CT/HT tops seasonally.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th January 2021 at 21:20. Reason: back to back posts
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 08:54   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar City wise waiting period update

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210114_085256.jpg

Source : Rushlane

Last edited by Venkatesh : 14th January 2021 at 09:01.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 09:53   #1024
Team-BHP Support

The best mod, yet, with the stock grille design?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-sirishchandranphoto2021_01_14_09_43.jpg

Source
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 11:06   #1025
BHPian

I am sure many who think the current Thar isn't practical are waiting for something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210114wa0027.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210114wa0026.jpg  

VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 12:38   #1026
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
I test drove the Thar today & even the Test drive vehicle had a crack on the windshield. I guess after the leaking roof & flying bonnet this is something that Mahindra would have to take care off.
I feel it is due to the flat surface and not being very tall causing these chips to become cracks. Unless there is a way to toughen them and make them absorb the stress/flex, may not be a solvable one. Recently saw this mentioned in the new Defender review also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
New Thar Interior Modified. Pictures with quotation.
Forgot to update in the highway report, those front seats seriously need a mod like this. The side bolster is horrible to sit on and you virtually sit on em if you have waste size wider than some 30". There is plenty of space to accommodate a wider seat base and Mahindra should seriously considering adding a wider base for the front seats to make it livable.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 13:41   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I am sure many who think the current Thar isn't practical are waiting for something like this.
I feel the 4-door would be a flop.

For off-road purpose it'd have a clear disadvantage with its inferior breakover angle and for touring purpose there's going to be serious competition as its going to cost a few lakhs more and that's where the competition starts looking lucrative.

While I could consider the 4-door but its not going to be no Wrangler, power figures I'm assuming would be the same so I'd rather continue to consider 2-door Thar as the second vehicle in my garage for occasional touring, mostly for weekend off-roading and a good bully (meaning comfortable) for city drives.

I currently have a Fortuner & Celerio as my primary drives and I think I'd rather swap it with Celerio than Fortuner.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 14:38   #1028

hi Friends,

Been reading and hearing a lot about long waiting periods, delayed deliveries etc.

I am however confronted with a different problem.

I booked a HT, Diesel, Auto, copper color on November 11, Mumbai. Was told that delivery dates to be firmed up in May 2021.

I have just been intimated that car is ready to be billed at the factory and delivery to be made within 2 weeks.

I am not just surprised but shocked. I am no VIP nor have tried getting vehicle that way.

Trying to figure what is the catch here. Could be that its a slow moving colour and someone cancelled OR cancellation due to defect in car but since it supposed to be at factory that's not possible. Dealer not sharing what is the real reason for the super fast delivery.

Either ways trying to get the PDI first before releasing the payments.

Regards

Last edited by Aditya : 14th January 2021 at 19:52. Reason: SMS lingo
Jacko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 15:22   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Lucky you Jacko.

If you’re sceptical about an older one being alloted or the dealer trying to push off something, I wouldn’t imagine that to be the case, since the HT / AT versions were indeed delayed. Please do the PDI very carefully though.

I’m guessing that the advanced delivery may be due to the colour.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 16:41   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got door delivery of the Thar (LX Diesel AT Hard top in Mystic Copper) on Tuesday evening this week. All the lease paperwork completed on Monday and the dealership (India Garage) was able to arrange delivery on Tuesday, which was an auspicious day. Wednesday was a busy day at work, so no chance for a long drive. Finally got a chance to take a 40 km long drive around Chennai in light traffic this morning, being Pongal holiday.

The car had less than a quarter of a tank of diesel on delivery and I saw a couple of low fuel warnings on the instrument panel. So, decided to fill her up at the local fuel station the same evening followed by a Puja at the local temple. The fuel tank gulped a full 35 L of diesel and showed a range of 670 kilometers.

Some observations:
  • It’s quite a big step up to get on to the driver seat. As for older people trying to get on to the passenger seat, the footboard actually may not help much due to the fact it comes in the way and there is no convenient grab handle near the inside roof. The one on the left side dashboard isn't really ergonomic to hold on to and haul oneself in.
  • It was easy enough for me to get into the driver seat given my height. The range of adjustments for the driver seat is very good and I was able to find a comfortable seating position quickly. I prefer to use the rake adjustment to set the steering wheel to the highest angle because this provides a full display of the instrument cluster and also avoids the bottom of the wheel coming in the way of your knees as you get in.
  • As soon as I cranked the engine, the car started without any vibrations felt on the body or the pedals or the steering wheel. The automatic transmission has a very short amount of movement between the Park and the drive position. This makes it easier to slot into Park or Neutral during long waits at traffic lights.
  • The Diesel motor is really relaxed and quiet to drive in the city! As long as you are easy on the gas pedal, the vehicle picks up speed smartly, with no stress or noise at all. At low speeds when the auto gearbox is probably using the second or third gear, an urgent stomp on the accelerator is not appreciated by the box. It gets noisy and the shifts down a second or so later, and then you get the surge. Best to drive in a relaxed way under such conditions.
  • The Thar's brake is a little less confidence inspiring than the Ecosport's. It are not "spongy" as some of the initial media drives described - it has decent feel, however, the bite point is further down than what I am used to. This causes the need to keep applying some pressure on the brake pedal if you are at a traffic light in "D" mode with the brake engaged. This can be a bit of a pain if you have a lot of traffic lights and long waits in your commute. Also at such times the brake is at the same level as the accelerator so you might inadvertently be applying some pressure there was well if you have large feet! Best to shift to neutral during some times.
  • The crawl speed was perfect from my perspective. It is not too fast unlike what we heard from some of the reviews. Maybe this is because traffic was light today and I may feel different during a busy bumper-to-bumper commute.
  • I found the steering to be reasonably accurate, although well short of the precise one on the EcoSport. I did not sense too much play as some reviewers have commented - perhaps this is an area where Mahindra has improved between the initial batch of test drive vehicles and the final customer delivery vehicles.
  • I had to do a U-turn in a road that was not too broad it was certainly possible to feel the higher turning radius of 5.75 m compare to about 5.3 m on my Ecosport. I just about made the turn without having to reverse again.
  • Once you are in the driver seat and onto the roads, you can feel really royal sitting so high up above all the other cars and bikes on the road. The new Thar especially in the Mystic Copper color got quite a lot of s during my drive. The dealer tells me it is the first Thar in this color to be delivered in Chennai!
  • Although the footwell is narrow, in my AT variant, I did not feel too uncomfortable (as I did on the MT in my test drive). I found the best thing was to extend my left leg all the way into the foot well, with my calf resting against the wall of the central console. Although I wished the footwell had been broader, unlike in the Harrier the knee-bone area does not touch any hard surfaces so the Thar is far less painful from a leg/knee fouling issue in the Automatic Avtar.
  • I sorely missed the center armrest - there is just no good place for your left elbow and also the right elbow is resting on the hard plastic surface of the door, which is another pain point compare to the Ecosport. This is one of the first areas where I will be looking for some after-market solutions .
  • The cabin is reasonably quiet and the engine thrum term is heard much less than in the Diesel Ecosport- the engine is really quiet. Other road noises do creep into the cabin even with the hard top - it is a bit more than most cars I have had However this is not obtrusive. The horn pad is easy to reach and I ended up using the horn a lot more than I liked today, given how wide the That is and the fact that I am not fully used to that yet.
  • Overall the vehicle offered a very relaxing drive. I felt more relaxed than in the Ecosport driving around the city mainly because of the stress-free engine and that high driving position. Road imperfections are felt a whole lot more for sure, but you do not need to hesitate to take them and drive right through on if you are ok with being a bit shaken and stirred. One does needs to slow down for the bigger speed breakers or else the car is going to take off and land with a thud.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pic17.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pic18.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pic19.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pic21.jpg  

84.monsoon is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 17:55   #1031
Senior - BHPian

So was strolling in my driveway today and noticed a small Oil / Fluid Spill mark no bigger than a POST IT where the Thar is usually parked. It was parked outside at that moment. I got a bit alarmed and informed my driver who went underneath the thar and said yes there seems to be a small leak.

Now I am not technical so I had a few pics clicked and sent it to my dealer who immediately had there technical head call me and said if it is possible to bring the car which they would look at immediately and give it back within 30 minutes tops.

So since the dealership is on my daily route of work I went there after around two hours. Immediate entry - no job card or anything. Quickly got it on a lift and 5-6 people look into it.

Culprit seemed to be the AT Transmission Fluid which has 4 drain plugs and one of them was not tight enough or got loose so this was fixed within no time. Pictures taken and a few phone calls made. Lost probably no more than 25 ml.

The Senior Tech Advisor and driver went for a 15-20 km ride and came back and there was no further leak. I was gone by then and called for the car where I was.

I will watch out the driveway for next few days but I know the problem is not major. As long as it is a loose wire / plug / joint etc I am ok. it is only the internals which scare me.

But overall very impressed with M&M for its friendly service and quick speedy efficiency.

So there you go life with a Thar. A little bit of drama.

Last edited by vkochar : 14th January 2021 at 17:57.
vkochar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 20:18   #1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
hi Friends,

I booked a HT, Diesel, Auto, copper color on November 11, Mumbai. Was told that delivery dates to be firmed up in May 2021.

I have just been intimated that car is ready to be billed at the factory and delivery to be made within 2 weeks.

I am not just surprised but shocked. I am no VIP nor have tried getting vehicle that way.
Well, you should consider yourself lucky. And as someone rightly mentioned, you should perform a thorough PDI.

I have booked a Thar HT MT on October 10th from Anant cars Bangalore. The initial delivery date was January but then I had to change the color somewhere in the mid November. Though the salesperson is confident the delivery would happen earlier, right now, my CPD has been moved to July
darwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 20:49   #1033
BHPian

A little bit of oil here and there in a Mahindra garage is a thing which we all are quiet used to over the past couple of decades. In the previous era, if we could see a bit of oil in a garage, its the sign of a mahindra vehicle's garage. And the legacy continues

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 14th January 2021 at 20:50.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 22:42   #1034
BHPian

GT tunerz posted on the IG that they’ve managed to crack the new Thar diesel. Figures after tuning at 160 bhp and 360 nm!
Karan_n8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 22:48   #1035
BHPian

Upcoming 2021 Mahindra Thar 180 mStallion Pro.

Source

https://www.indiacarnews.com/news/up...r-speed-43873/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks