Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2021, 09:39   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Mahindra to further ramp up new Thar production, steel and semiconductor shortage a worry.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1_485_735_0_70_http___img.haymarketsac.in_autocarpro_978678c48f0846ec806f20d93cf4e5bd.jpg

Quote:
Rajesh Jejurikar, executive director, M&M, said, “We are prioritising production as per the current demand situation. So, while the Thar clearly is the topmost on the list, it is followed by the XUV300, Bolero and Scorpio.”

“Typically, customers do not tend to wait when wait times are long, but that’s not the case with the Thar. We don’t see the demand going down anytime soon, we have a fairly robust order book for the next 4-6 months,” he added.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 14:47   #1172
BHPian

A while ago we discussed about Insurance cover for the Thar. I spent some time researching and learning how it works (since this is my first time purchasing a vehicle in India) and used the tips provided here to hunt for the best policy/premium combo.

I spoke with several guys from a couple insurance portals and about 7-8 local (Pune) peeps, and got over a couple dozen quotes. The best quotes I received were from my local bank relationship managers (RM) (ICICI, HDFC, and Kotak). Neither the dealership nor PolicyBazar could beat the quote provided by my ICICI RM.

My vehicle is at the dealer stock yard (along with a dozen others but missing the radio) which I checked out yesterday and paid for it. Dealer tried to sell me boat loads of extras but I didn't bite. I didnt even purchase the extended warranty (not sure if needed) nor any accessories. The only thing they wont budge about was the "incidental charges" (which sounds stupid) but it was about 5K and I didn't wanna scrape the bottom, so let it slide.

Below is the policy I purchased this morning. I dont know whether I did good, but that's the best I could.
Attached Images

fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 16:27   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
A while ago we discussed about Insurance cover for the Thar. I spent some time researching and learning how it works (since this is my first time purchasing a vehicle in India) and used the tips provided here to hunt for the best policy/premium combo.

Below is the policy I purchased this morning. I dont know whether I did good, but that's the best I could.
Couple of weeks back, for a different vehicle (new)- IDV of 1699999/-, purchased insurance at 40190(GST included) which had Zero Dep, Return to invoice as add on. Even if you add tyre cover, engine protection and consumables, looks like your quote is on the higher side.

Last edited by xotiq : 9th February 2021 at 16:30.
Old 9th February 2021, 18:16   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Couple of weeks back, for a different vehicle (new)- IDV of 1699999/-, purchased insurance at 40190(GST included) which had Zero Dep, Return to invoice as add on. Even if you add tyre cover, engine protection and consumables, looks like your quote is on the higher side.
Your quotation is abnormally low. Rs 55k to 60k seems to be the par quote from what I have seen for the Thar.

Maybe different segment cars?
Old 9th February 2021, 18:18   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
looks like your quote is on the higher side.
Well, looks like I was taken for a ride then. What sucks though is that I wasted several hours and learned nothing [Facepalm]

Old 9th February 2021, 18:38   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke with several guys from a couple insurance portals and about 7-8 local (Pune) peeps, and got over a couple dozen quotes. The best quotes I received were from my local bank relationship managers (RM) (ICICI, HDFC, and Kotak). Neither the dealership nor PolicyBazar could beat the quote provided by my ICICI RM.
This quote is on par with the quotes offered by PolicyBazaar. Please find the quote from PolicyBazaar below.
Please note that the IDV is higher.
Total would be 65k adding 18% GST.
Dealer has quoted 79k

I am planning to get this one from United India Insurance which supports self video claims too.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pb.jpg  

Old 9th February 2021, 18:48   #1177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Typically, customers do not tend to wait when wait times are long, but that’s not the case with the Thar. We don’t see the demand going down anytime soon, we have a fairly robust order book for the next 4-6 months,” he added.
Dream on even dealers agree there has been many cancellations and timelines are coming down due to this, it is the HU mess up that is now the major road block and if M&M does not come with a solution, expect many more to cancel. Nice PR release M&M has done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I am planning to get this one from United India Insurance which supports self video claims too.
IDV is also higher for United India, great deal I think.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 19:18   #1178
BHPian

My solution (or jugaad) to the flying bonnet problem.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-a46471736bee412b90848486431fe55a.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-d299b0697dfc4ddfb7353d8d6c832364.jpeg
Rajiv0909 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 19:28   #1179
BHPian

^^
Is not that quite dangerous. If the bonnet does fly up--the cable may whiplash to the windshield or cause serious damage to other vehicles or people near by. The cable will be subjected to a huge force x really small timeframe.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 19:35   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Your quotation is abnormally low. Rs 55k to 60k seems to be the par quote from what I have seen for the Thar.

Maybe different segment cars?
No longer a quote, policy is issued. This was for a Seltos GTX+ AT Diesel, attached the cost breakup.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-insurance.png  

Old 9th February 2021, 19:47   #1181
Senior - BHPian

Caught this video on youtube of a Thar with busted lower trailing arm at the rear. The play in the arm and the tak tak noise means the rubber bush is no longer there and its hitting against the bolt, the bush probably shredded and fallen somewhere otherwise it won't go like this. The bush to fail like this is not normal for a new vehicle and might be a QC issue at the vendor side.

Watch @02:50

Old 9th February 2021, 20:54   #1182
BHPian

On the recall for Camshaft issue I didn’t get a call but received this letter today. I had a word with my service supervisor couple of days back. On knowing that my vehicle has already run 5000km he mentioned “Sir had there been an issue it would have surfaced by now, you needn’t worry”.
Unsure still to take the vehicle for a check up or just wait n watch. I personally too not finding any issue....No power loss, no abnormal noise nothing. The vehicle behaving normally.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-0f4e04479f0747aa88656d26c29e30f1.jpeg  

techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:05   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
On the recall for Camshaft issue I didn’t get a call but received this letter today. I had a word with my service supervisor couple of days back. On knowing that my vehicle has already run 5000km he mentioned “Sir had there been an issue it would have surfaced by now, you needn’t worry”.
Unsure still to take the vehicle for a check up or just wait n watch. I personally too not finding any issue....No power loss, no abnormal noise nothing. The vehicle behaving normally.
Quoting from the letter:
Quote:
Concern?
There is potential risk to loss of drive to the fuel pump owing to camshaft not meeting required quality parameters.
Putting it bluntly the letter tells you that camshaft can fail and the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) will stop working. The HPFP is usually bolted to the end of the cyl head and is driven by one of the camshafts directly. Now what can cause the hpfp to stop pumping? The camshaft may break (possible due to incorrect tolerances or material quality, have seen that happen), or a less catastrophic situation the end driving the pump fails. Just because nothing has happened in 5000kms does not mean it will not in future. So do not take service advisor's word for it and get it checked as suggested by Mahindra.
Sankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 22:22   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
My solution (or jugaad) to the flying bonnet problem.

Attachment 2120063

Attachment 2120064
Hi, Is this to avoid hood bending backwards while driving as seen in this thread earlier? If yes, how is it going to work exactly? The bungee cord which is stretched in the picture will go back to coiled position when you close the hood and thus losing any tension or strength to hold hood in place.
I am also unnerved by the fact that its hooked onto battery holder arms which aren’t strongest elements under the hood that will support any other tension apart from their intended use.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:09   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
I didn’t even purchase the extended warranty (not sure if needed) nor any accessories.
Congrats on your new Vehicle.

A word of advice though from an existing Tata Vehicle owner, go back to your showroom and purchase that Extended Warranty right now. and I mean right now. I don’t want to be that guys who tells you - look I told you so.
Please understand that with new Mahindra and Tata Vehicles and given their famous QC and reliability, its a worthwhile investment. Ask any other owner and they will tell you more about it. Its like buying Airbags, you pray you don’t need it but when needed, it’s worth the money put in.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks