Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2021, 18:05   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

After days and weeks of drives, I'm parking my jeep for a couple of weeks - this is my clock, from Nov 21st till yesterday!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210228_2147182.jpg

I'll update my ownership thread soon (hopefully!)...
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 18:48   #1292
BHPian

Re: 2nd-gen Mahindra Thar | Niggles, Problems & Solutions

Finally, I could find an usable solution for carrying extra luggage on my Thar. Although, this can be used on various cars, I was a bit skeptical to use it on my Thar as I was not sure how well the luggage would hold up, specially on bad roads where the Thar bounces more than any regular car. However, I carried 2 medium sized suitcases and a few other luggage and there were no issues at all after driving around 200 kms over mixed roads.
This is how it looks after fitting.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210228_152258.jpg

There are 8 straps to tie down the bag. 4 of them fit onto the door with provided latches. The 2 straps in the front were tied down to the bonnet latches and the 2 at the back were tied to the spare wheel.
I had to purchase a roll of nylon strap for the extensions that would be required for the mounting points on Thar.

Here's a short video on how it was put up. It was completely shot and stitched on my phone. So, pardon me if the audio and cuts are improper.

Before trying this option, I found roof racks by Bimbra as a good option, but I am not sure if installing that would be legal!
OneLivingLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 20:56   #1293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
The 2 straps in the front were tied down to the bonnet latches and the 2 at the back were tied to the spare wheel.
Are you sure it is a good idea to tie the straps to the bonnet latches? The bonnet latches might get pried open due to the tension in the straps (weren't the latches already having some design issues to being with?) and that could be outright dangerous if that happens during driving.

Hope it all stays safe! But I would not recommend adding any tensile forces on those latches.
Dr.AD is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 21:08   #1294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are 8 straps to tie down the bag. 4 of them fit onto the door with provided latches. The 2 straps in the front were tied down to the bonnet latches and the 2 at the back were tied to the spare wheel.
I had to purchase a roll of nylon strap for the extensions that would be required for the mounting points on Thar.
+1 To Dr_AD. The 4 straps on the door and the 2 straps on the spare wheel are definitely fine. But the 2 straps on the bonnet lock are a big no. Imagine what would happen if the bonnet lock unlatches due to the strain and the bonnet opens up while you are on the highway! I would suggest finding some other alternate for the front straps.
graaja is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 23:43   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolambifly View Post
Just came across this video of it installed on the new Thar

https://Youtu.be/Vh0XuwSB5Dw
It is such things which makes an Old School 4WD into a Mom's Mall Vehicle!
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:50   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Are you sure it is a good idea to tie the straps to the bonnet latches? The bonnet latches might get pried open due to the tension in the straps (weren't the latches already having some design issues to being with?) and that could be outright dangerous if that happens during driving.

Hope it all stays safe! But I would not recommend adding any tensile forces on those latches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1 To Dr_AD. The 4 straps on the door and the 2 straps on the spare wheel are definitely fine. But the 2 straps on the bonnet lock are a big no. Imagine what would happen if the bonnet lock unlatches due to the strain and the bonnet opens up while you are on the highway! I would suggest finding some other alternate for the front straps.
That was a cause of concern for me too. That's why, I mentioned in the video that these bonnet latches are not the new stronger ones, which are being replaced during service (ever since a couple of bonnet opening accidents came to light). I am waiting to get those new latches during my next service. They would make this setup safer.
The other option could be to tie it at the center point where the bonnet hood locks but that would be a bit more cumbersome.

Before starting my 200 km drive that day, I put it to a bit of testing around the village paddy fields (harvests have been done and many fields are burnt). I was to drive with my parents and grandfather. So, adjusting the luggage or experiencing any sort of untoward scenario during the journey was out of question. You know how they panic, even on small issues! I would have loved to do this trip and test on the way with a friend by my side. But, in this case I had to be damn sure. Else, leaving some luggage back at my village home wouldn't be an issue.

The car was accelerated hard and braked hard, as I watched from outside. This is what I observed and felt:
1. The acceleration could never be hard enough to put much tension on the front straps.
2. The 4 straps from the 2 doors held it pretty tightly and aided in bearing a bit of tension from the acceleration also.
3. The luggage loaded bag had a better surface grip on this matte finish type of FRP of the hardtop. It would be different with other cars and an anti slip sort of mat would be required.
4. It was rather the hard braking part where much tension was observed on the rear 2 straps, but they were well secured on load bearing frames.

Having noticed the above and after a few rounds of test, I thought I could carry on the journey with the senior folks of my home.

The end result was damn satisfactory as the bag did not seem to move from its place at all. But, I would gain more confidence once I have used this luggage bag on a multiple week trip across the mountains. Wear and tear of the bag also needs to be checked frequently during such trips.

At the end of the day, we own a vehicle with a few well known shortcomings but the love for this car, made me settle for it. Some "jugaads" have to be done.

Last edited by OneLivingLife : 2nd March 2021 at 00:56. Reason: Added more information
Old 2nd March 2021, 06:32   #1297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That was a cause of concern for me too. That's why, I mentioned in the video that these bonnet latches are not the new stronger ones, which are being replaced during service (ever since a couple of bonnet opening accidents came to light). I am waiting to get those new latches during my next service. They would make this setup safer.
The other option could be to tie it at the center point where the bonnet hood locks but that would be a bit more cumbersome....

At the end of the day, we own a vehicle with a few well known shortcomings but the love for this car, made me settle for it. Some "jugaads" have to be done.
Even if you get the better latch, the concept of tying a load to the bonnet latch is not safe. Just my 2 cents.

Also, I don't think the hard top is strong enough to carry loads. It could crack under the load over time. If that happens, the load is going to fall on the passengers inside. The correct load bearing would be the frame of the body which would be the right place to anchor a roof rack. And a proper roof rack will be designed to transfer the load to the frame, not on the hard top.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:28   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

Regardless of hard top or soft top, Please do not carry luggage on it, it's not a Wagon /Sumo. The thing is supposed to take you places in style, this aint it partner.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 09:40   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Justwheels - You’re not alone. I got my call on the 16th of Feb, that my car should get dispatched soon. The first question I asked my dealer was the VIN. He said that he’ll confirm once he gets a formal email from the factory.

It is 23rd today, a full 7 days and I haven’t heard a word yet. And my calls and texts remain unanswered. These days, I feel quite ashamed to even follow up and I’m now mentally prepared to allow the dealer to give me a favour with my money, as and when they manage to deliver mine.

Yes, the delivery date will be a huge favour to me. That’s the state of mind now.
Quoting myself here.

Its been 17 days since I got a call regarding my vehicle being dispatched. 10 days back, verbally, I was given the engine number too, and was also asked to keep funds ready. After that, its been some excuse or the other regarding trailer non-availability, in transit etc..etc..Yesterday, I was told that the dispatch hasn't happened yet from the factory.

Clearly, it doesn't take 17 days from Nashik to Bangalore and no ways will any OEM want to keep finished goods in stock. Clearly, something else is going on.

What I am thinking is this - the car indeed may have got dispatched 2 or even 3 weeks back, but without the infotainment and is probably lying in the Vehicle stock yard waiting for its fitment. This is just my hunch and I may be wrong, because, I had specifically asked if the vehicles are coming with or without the infotainment and I was told by the dealer that M&M had stopped dispatches without.

I have a friend who lives near the stock yard and he claims to have seen many trailers with Thar being unloaded there over the past 10 days and this is where my doubt about the infotainment creeps in.

All said and done, and all the niggles aside, I guess M&M and their dealers are finding innovative ways to keep the customers on tenterhooks.

Does anyone here know what may really be going on?
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:11   #1300

Quote:

What I am thinking is this - the car indeed may have got dispatched 2 or even 3 weeks back, but without the infotainment and is probably lying in the Vehicle stockyard waiting for its fitment.
You're right about these assumptions. I have had an intense conversation with the salesperson and he confirmed that the vehicles have reached Bangalore and they're waiting for the infotainment systems to be installed. And since they're not authorized to mention this to the customers, they're finding all other alternative theories such as delay in transport etc...
darwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:16   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Also, I don't think the hard top is strong enough to carry loads. It could crack under the load over time.
Agreed. That's why I am thinking of carrying light stuffs such at sleeping bags, air mattress, tents, pillows etc in that bag. This setup has its own drawbacks for sure. But, what's the other option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Regardless of hard top or soft top, Please do not carry luggage on it, it's not a Wagon /Sumo. The thing is supposed to take you places in style, this aint it partner.
I understand! But, with 4 people, this car and luggage for a couple of weeks, an alternate solution is needed.
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:16   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Infotainment could be an issue, there is a 2 week delay on vehicles reaching yard and infotainment shipping arriving. And 2 weeks is an optimistic time line. It can stretch.

Also there can be other possibilities.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:46   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
10 days back, verbally, I was given the engine number too, and was also asked to keep funds ready. After that, its been some excuse or the other regarding trailer non-availability, in transit etc..etc..Yesterday, I was told that the dispatch hasn't happened yet from the factory.
Going by the above, looks like a Thar did get allotted to you, or else the dealer would not have been able to share the engine no. but got "re-allotted" to a customer who might have walked in with a suitcase full of (some extra) cash, requesting immediate delivery! Dealers are having a field day with increased demand and limited supply of the Thar. Best way to validate would be to cross-check the engine no. given to you against that of the one that eventually does come to you.

All the best!

Last edited by cool_dube : 2nd March 2021 at 13:48.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:34   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
I mentioned in the video that these bonnet latches are not the new stronger ones, which are being replaced during service (ever since a couple of bonnet opening accidents came to light). I am waiting to get those new latches during my next service.
Please take pictures of the present latches and the new ones.

There seems to be no old and new comparison pics
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:24   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
You're right about these assumptions. I have had an intense conversation with the salesperson and he confirmed that the vehicles have reached Bangalore and they're waiting for the infotainment systems to be installed. And since they're not authorized to mention this to the customers, they're finding all other alternative theories such as delay in transport etc...
So, the friend was right when he spoke about a few dozen Thars getting into the stockyard at Kengeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Infotainment could be an issue, there is a 2 week delay on vehicles reaching yard and infotainment shipping arriving. And 2 weeks is an optimistic time line. It can stretch.

Also there can be other possibilities.
And I sincerely hope its not other possibilities Lurker. I did read your message too. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Going by the above, looks like a Thar did get allotted to you, or else the dealer would not have been able to share the engine no. but got "re-allotted" to a customer who might have walked in with a suitcase full of (some extra) cash, requesting immediate delivery! Dealers are having a field day with increased demand and limited supply of the Thar. Best way to validate would be to cross-check the engine no. given to you against that of the one that eventually does come to you.

All the best!
And yes, that's exactly what I plan to do. I have the number written down. And will calibrate this. And if the numbers don't match, I will wait to hear yet another interesting made up story from the dealer.

I still believe that M&M Supply chain teams messed up on their Chip sourcing strategy, and the Thars are lying in different stockyards across the country that is as good as nothing, because you can't deliver to a waiting customer.

My worry now is how well and how equipped are the dealers in fitting the infotainment. The niggles thread provides zero comfort, with all the electronics related niggles showing up. Having lived with two Safari's in the past and in dealing with the Tata Motors service support, I am mentally getting ready to deal with the Mahindra's now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks