Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2021, 11:51   #1321
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhushanrulz View Post

I guess if I cancel within 48hrs I get the full refund, which otherwise would attract a refund charge of Rs.2100 post 48hrs.
I was in a similar dilemma, but didnt want to delay the booking.

Hence made two bookings, one Convertible and one Hard Top and then started listing the pros and cons of each.

Finally decided on the convertible. The dealer adjusted the entire booking amount without any cancellation charges against the new car.
Old 4th March 2021, 14:46   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This behavior is typical of part-time 4WD vehicles if driven on tarmac in 4WD mode (4H or 4L), wherein the driver experiences significant understeer! Are these "reports" coming with regards to tarmac driving or trail driving?
Thank you for clarifying. It was reported in both cases.
Does it behave similarly on off-road situations too when the vehicle is completely steered to either side?
Old 4th March 2021, 17:57   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Thank you for clarifying. It was reported in both cases.
That sounds odd!

Quote:
Does it behave similarly on off-road situations too when the vehicle is completely steered to either side?
No, it should not. Steering behavior does change to an extent on dirt tracks too in 4wd mode for a part-time 4wd vehicle, but there should not be any loss of power for sure.

On a different note, question to all - if I were to go for a petrol Thar with convertible top, I can either buy an LX with AT or AX(O) with MT. There is no LX Petrol variant which provides me with convertible top AND MT, whereas this combination (LX/CT/MT) is available in diesel. What could be the rationale behind skipping this combination in petrol? Beats me!
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 08:46   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Few owners are facing the below problem (got the info from WhatsApp group):

Loss of power in 4H mode on sharp bends, especially on the inclines when the car is steered completely to any one of the side.

Does some one here faced this issue? Request the owners to check this issue.
To me this sounds like ESP performing it’s duties
Rajiv0909 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 21:23   #1325

Came across a youtube video today, where the Youtuber has got his Diesel Thar delivered in 35 days time. He has also shown his booking receipt dated Jan 2021.

And Iam sitting with my booking recipet from Oct 2020 with no signs of delivery even in April.

Amazing job my Mahindra
Kolambifly is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 22:41   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Frustrating isn’t it. There is a lot that Mahindra has to do on their communications and they have a huge gap to address their transparency.

There was once on a call that I had asked them to define what a VIP is and what does it take for me to be a VIP in their eyes, for a faster delivery. The sarcasm was lost where they started giving answers of film and tv stars and politicians etc .. anyways, this is the story of those who booked their Thar in October and still waiting.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 00:44   #1327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That sounds odd!

No, it should not. Steering behavior does change to an extent on dirt tracks too in 4wd mode for a part-time 4wd vehicle, but there should not be any loss of power for sure.
Perhaps they have a power cutoff designed to prevent transmission windup if the wheels have traction and the steering is fully locked to either side. It could be possible, especially if it's an automatic.

Many modern cars have such features to prevent engine and/ or transmission failures. As an example Jeep Compass 4x4 AT will cut engine power if the obstacle is impossible to go over to prevent damage to the transmission. Basically they try to make the car idiot proof.
Old 6th March 2021, 02:03   #1328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Perhaps they have a power cutoff designed to prevent transmission windup if the wheels have traction and the steering is fully locked to either side. It could be possible, especially if it's an automatic.

Many modern cars have such features to prevent engine and/ or transmission failures. As an example Jeep Compass 4x4 AT will cut engine power if the obstacle is impossible to go over to prevent damage to the transmission. Basically they try to make the car idiot proof.
Jeep compass uses active drive AWD system, it's a FWD that can send some power to rear end when there is a slip. It uses a clutch and cannot lock the axles together like a traditional 4x4 transfer case, to prevent overheating the clutch it will go back to front wheel drive when it gets overloaded.

Traditional 4x4s have no electronic nannies to prevent damage, if you use it incorrectly, it will break. If you want to use it correctly it will let you do this and go back home in the same vehicle.

Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 06:30   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolambifly View Post
Came across a Youtube video today, where the Youtuber has got his Diesel Thar delivered in 35 days time. He has also shown his booking receipt dated Jan 2021.

And Iam sitting with my booking recipet from Oct 2020 with no signs of delivery even in April.

Amazing job my Mahindra
Mahindra is not a Toyota or a Maruti, they are an unprofessionaly run company, which is exposed on a daily basis by their sham booking procedures, who somehow hit paydirt with a concept based on vision of an outlier like Behram Dhabhar and then in their own silly ways going on to profit from that vision.

The main issue with their booking system is that though the vehicle is dispatched from the factory in the name of the customer, it is entirely upto the dealer to deliver it to the customer. The company doesn't hold the dealer responsible once they raise the invoice and the vehicle is out of their yard.

And now with their self-developed Infotainment unit crisis, it takes an additional two weeks after the vehicle has reached the dealers yard for the infotainment unit to the installed. As per company policy the vehicle shall be sold to customer only with infotainment installed. This gives the dealer two additional weeks for hanky-panky.

If not for Thar wouldn't have touched Mahindra with a bargepole.
lurker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 11:02   #1330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Frustrating isn’t it. There is a lot that Mahindra has to do on their communications and they have a huge gap to address their transparency.

There was once on a call that I had asked them to define what a VIP is and what does it take for me to be a VIP in their eyes, for a faster delivery. The sarcasm was lost where they started giving answers of film and tv stars and politicians etc .. anyways, this is the story of those who booked their Thar in October and still waiting.
I have a booking of 10th Oct (8 days from the day booking started) and not yet delivered. If Mahindra is not able to clear 10 days booking then the waiting period should be 2 years, not 6 months (sarcasm alert). Dealer says my Thar is not yet allocated, presumably not yet produced, so who is planning their production.

Mind it, by 10th Oct, bookings were only accepted from 10 cities. Post that 100 cities bookings were open. So those guys should be waiting for delivery in 2022 then I guess. It's just frustrating. Clearly they got bookings way way beyond their expectations, may be 10 times more and their supply contracts, anciliaries have been caught by surprise including Mahindra themselves. Whatever, this is super frustrating.
Old 6th March 2021, 11:06   #1331
Senior - BHPian

Justwheels - I wont be surprised if you get your car in a week/two weeks.

Reliable news is that there are 100’s of Thar’s lying with dealer stockyards at Bangalore that’s waiting for Infotainment for the last 10 days.

I am told that the a) Infotainment has to reach the dealer and b) The mahindra technicians have to reach and fix

Though my dealer is denying that my car is dispatched, I reliably know that it’s reached Bangalore since end Feb.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 11:59   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Justwheels - I wont be surprised if you get your car in a week/two weeks.

Reliable news is that there are 100’s of Thar’s lying with dealer stockyards at Bangalore that’s waiting for Infotainment for the last 10 days.

I am told that the a) Infotainment has to reach the dealer and b) The mahindra technicians have to reach and fix

Though my dealer is denying that my car is dispatched, I reliably know that it’s reached Bangalore since end Feb.
I am trying to proble them about the same. I have told my SA I need full details of when the car left the plant and landed in the stock yard. It is so much crazy, had it not been Thar, I would have canceled long back.
I can empathize with covid issues, supply chain constraints etc. But not lack of transparency and communication. Moreso for a product that is showing so many niggles in the first batch.
Huh, I just tweeted to Anand Mahindra and Pawan Goenka.
Old 6th March 2021, 23:27   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I know the delivery scene is nowhere close to ideal - the delays, lack of communications and transparency, and seemingly endless wait.

But while you are at it, let me also ask you to prepare yourself to be a bit more patient after you take delivery - you may encounter what I went through in one form or other, and there are enough examples of issues arising due to wiring niggles right here in the forum.

But trust me, your patience will be rewarded handsomely by the sheer pleasure of ownership once you cross that hurdle - I recently posted my 8800k update in my ownership thread - I am actually taking a break from my addiction, parked the Thar for a couple of weeks and driving something else :-D
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 02:07   #1334
BHPian

What do you guys make of the following news on Rushlane -

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-th...-12395557.html
Old 7th March 2021, 09:55   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.U View Post
What do you guys make of the following news on Rushlane -

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-th...-12395557.html
If what's being tested is indeed a convertible hardtop, why would they need to have emission testing equipment? This is probably a newer engine tune - and that doesn't mean a newer engine for the Thar, the new Scorpio and XUV5Oo are getting the same engine in a higher state of tune too.

Your guess is as good as mine, but the article is typical rush lane job
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks