Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:57   #1471

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I am not based in Bangalore. You would have to enquire with a body shop or your dealer itself.
Thanks for the reply. Can you give me the contact details of the workshop you got it done in? Will coordinate with them.
Old 4th April 2021, 21:34   #1472
BHPian

Nice color for the Thar.
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 08:48   #1473
Senior - BHPian

I’m 590 km on the ODO ever since I got my Thar. Thankfully, no rattles yet. I did manage a small off-road trail on Sunday.

One small niggle tough:

This morning, the DTE showed 68Km. I had to drop my son and the to and fro distance is about 20. When I reached his place of drop, the DTE was 28 and half way home, the fuel bar had vanished and the fill fuel warning lit up. Thankfully, it was very close to the place where I normally tank up. I need to figure out what’s with the DTE.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb9d63942bf04413823d5c348e8ac904.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-31012c1d54a141b58892803f520222b4.jpeg  

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 5th April 2021 at 08:48. Reason: Spelling
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 10:23   #1474
Senior - BHPian

If you are offroading like in the photo it seems you climbed up a rock upon a small hill then FE drops rapidly. That is what I got from a gentleman who uses his Thar in offroad mode often.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 13:13   #1475
BHPian

Finally received my Grey Thar LX Diesel AT HT on April 1st.
Delivery was really smooth and happy with Vayalat Motors where the GM and SM handed over the key.
There were no delays during the delivery process as all the documents were neatly arranged, accessories were pre-installed.
Special thanks to Mahindra Area Sales Manager, Mr.Nikhil for his constant support.

I have driven around 300kms and no niggles till now, touchwood.

* Transmission is smooth even though not very quick
* Riding stance and visibility - You are above all
* Suspension (I was expecting this to mention it in dislikes, but Mahindra is tuned it to give maximum comfort to passengers. That said, there is constant movement in the cabin which is very normal for a ladder frame SUV)

Dislikes:
* Horn is laggy. It takes its own sweet time to honk after pressing the button.
* Headlight throw and visibility is poor.

Immediate accessories done/ planned:
* 3M Noodle mats - Done
* Ordered grill and leg pad cushions from Azad 4X4. Yet to arrive
* 70MAI A800S: DUAL-VISION 4K DASH CAM. Ordered from nexdigitron.
* Steering cover
* Front and Rear Armrests: Searching for options as available options does not seem to be of great quality
* Fog Lamp upgrade to HID/ LED - Mostly would get the FE Retrofit ones
MithunSathianat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 19:02   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Awesome! Many congratulations and wish you hundreds of thousands of happy & safe miles.

When did you book it? Also, please share some pics of the jeep.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 00:18   #1477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Do they also have any kind of membership or lets say groups for off-roading? I somehow though that post delivery, I may be told about groups interested in off-roading etc, but none so far. When I bought my first safari, Tata had a program of safari drives with other safari owners. Name of that was SOUL if I remember.

I also read in some places where the Club Mahindra stay vouchers were given along with That delivery. I didn’t get that as well. I’m not complaining about this though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
They have discontinued giving club mahindra voucher since December '20.
Mahindra Topgear Club is what they call it (www.mahindratopgearclub.com), and I got a SMS text within a week of buying my Thar giving me my membership ID.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20210405_234726.jpg

I logged in with that and booked my three-night Club Mahindra stay (chose Yercaud, @jkrishnakj, you probably read about it in my ownership thread )

The Topgear Club site also had a list of upcoming events - the same ones that get listed in the Adventure Connect part of the ICE (Page 4 in my ownership thread). But then, this is what I see now -

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20210405_234508.jpg

Maybe we can write asking about the Club Mahindra vouchers and the events. Also, there were more features in the membership like personal accident insurance, discount on Zoomcar, etc. - am attaching the PDF.

Quote:
I’m 590 km on the ODO ever since I got my Thar. Thankfully, no rattles yet. I did manage a small off-road trail on Sunday.

One small niggle tough:

This morning, the DTE showed 68Km. I had to drop my son and the to and fro distance is about 20. When I reached his place of drop, the DTE was 28 and half way home, the fuel bar had vanished and the fill fuel warning lit up. Thankfully, it was very close to the place where I normally tank up. I need to figure out what’s with the DTE.
Not sure how I missed all this while, CONGRATS ON FINALLY TAKING DELIVERY!! If you didn't find a niggle after the OTR, then you are good

Don't worry much about the DTE, let it learn with a few tank-fulls. Do note that the mileage the MID shows is at least 1.5 KMPL higher than actuals. It's better to top up if DTE drops below 100KM unless you're in city & have a fuel station at every corner.

I'll reach out when I plan a Bangalore trip, you do the same if you're coming to Coimbatore! I'm also interested in some of the mods you've planned!

Quote:
* Fog Lamp upgrade to HID/ LED - Mostly would get the FE Retrofit ones
Congrats bro! I'll definitely update you on my hardwiring of the 70mai later this week!

Also, curious about the Fog Lamp - I am ordering some 4300K LEDs for the headlight from DHGate, and am looking around for H16 LEDs too - in 4300K. While LEDs seem cost-effective (both headlights and fog will be 10k or so), the result is still a ??? - I'll wait for the order to get delivered (only headlights now, haven't found a 4300K fogs yet - and thanks to aliexpress ban, it's pretty difficult too)...

I'll look forward to your experience with the fog mod!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TopGear(1).pdf (4.16 MB, 213 views)
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 10:08   #1478
DSY

FINALLY!!

After a never ending wait of 5months got the delivery of my Mahindra Thar Diesel LX(HT) in Napoli Black yesterday.

The vehicle had arrived at the dealership on 24th march but was waiting for the infotainment system.

Got the vehicle delivered with just 8Kms on the odometer.

Just 100kms done since yesterday and no issues faced till now.

Will be sharing detailed pictures after the headlight and front grill upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_4983.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_4987.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screen-shot-20210406-10.02.55-am.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screen-shot-20210406-10.03.21-am.png  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th April 2021 at 10:16. Reason: spacing for improved readability
DSY is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 13:31   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dislikes:
* Horn is laggy. It takes its own sweet time to honk after pressing the button.
* Headlight throw and visibility is poor.
Hearty Contratulations Mithun and wishing you several miles of smiles on your Grey one.

Horn : Yes, I had this in my 'dislike' too. It takes effort to press. The reach for the thumb to the horn pad isn't easy either.

Headlights : I find the low beam quite decent/ok. Its the high beam that throws way upwards for me. Thinking of adjusting in the first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Mahindra Topgear Club is what they call it (www.mahindratopgearclub.com), and I got a SMS text within a week of buying my Thar giving me my membership ID.

Thank you ph03n!x. I'll check this portal.

I logged in with that and booked my three-night Club Mahindra stay (chose Yercaud, @jkrishnakj, you probably read about it in my ownership thread )

Exactly right. Now I remember that I indeed read this on the 'Freedom' ownership thread of yours.

Not sure how I missed all this while, CONGRATS ON FINALLY TAKING DELIVERY!! If you didn't find a niggle after the OTR, then you are good

Don't worry much about the DTE, let it learn with a few tank-fulls. Do note that the mileage the MID shows is at least 1.5 KMPL higher than actuals. It's better to top up if DTE drops below 100KM unless you're in city & have a fuel station at every corner.

I'll reach out when I plan a Bangalore trip, you do the same if you're coming to Coimbatore! I'm also interested in some of the mods you've planned!

Congrats bro! I'll definitely update you on my hardwiring of the 70mai later this week!
Thank you very much. And yes, definitely look forward to catching up either at CBE or at Blr. I haven't been to Cbe in a while, thanks to the elections and also the different rules of inter-state travels. I mostly am planning something around the Tamil New Year.

And I look forward to the 70mai installation too. Need one for my Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY View Post
FINALLY!!

After a never ending wait of 5months got the delivery of my Mahindra Thar Diesel LX(HT) in Napoli Black yesterday.

The vehicle had arrived at the dealership on 24th march but was waiting for the infotainment system.

Got the vehicle delivered with just 8Kms on the odometer.

Just 100kms done since yesterday and no issues faced till now.

Will be sharing detailed pictures after the headlight and front grill upgrade.
Superb and hearty congrats DSY. The bests to you. The Black is definitely no less than a gangster.

Updates to my Thar

a. I got the Registration number details on Monday. I should be getting the plate fixed tomorrow.
b. The dealer had taken my Thar for the Hard Top water leak test. Whilst there is no leakage, they still removed the Top for a re-fix, to fix the wind noise that was quite high even in speeds of 70/80. I now hear the wind noise or Roar only at speeds of 110 or so.
c. My Thar had a good spa treatment at 3M last week. I fixed the PPF for the bonnet. I mostly shall do this for the doors next month. Conscious that the wifey is noticing the amount of care going to the Thar and didn't want to make things too obvious with big expenses.
d. During delivery, I opted for the mud flaps and the foot mats and radiator protector guard. No other accessories taken
e. I got the Beige colour noodle mats from 3M. Only for the Driver and passenger sides. Didn't go for the mats behind yet. Still unsure if I need to
f. Just today, I paid a visit to vin4x4 and got my Dead Pedal fixed. They did a good job. The drive back home via NICE road was so much more comfortable after fixing the dead pedal

I am in touch with Vin4X4 for the front arm rest and the Rear arm rest+cup holders. They do have the Black coloured ones in stock, but I am looking for something in contrast. The car anyways is so dark inside and didn't want more black objects inside. They also have a variety of grilles, but I saved this change for later.

So, the upcoming mods will be
a) 70mai dash cam
b) The front arm rest
c) Rear arm rests
d) Grille

I did the second full tank today and post that, I did about 45KM drive. The DTE seems to be learning now. Will track this through this full tank cycle.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 16:00   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Can you please upload snaps of the dead pedal? And can you share vin4x4 contact and email id, as I also need one for my new Thar as also the front seat centre armrest, On their website I cant find it. Thanks.

Last edited by scooby05 : 6th April 2021 at 16:01. Reason: made a mistake in attaching the quote
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 16:37   #1481
Senior - BHPian

I totally missed attaching the picture in the previous post. Thanks Scooby for nudging me there.

I have to do two things - both involve cutting. The first one is to see if I can cut the contours of the rubber floor mat and the second one is easy, cutting the 3M mats to match the shape. Something for the weekend indeed.

I’m sure the 3M mats in Black would have looked
Lovely, but like I said earlier, it’s too dark inside.

Vin4X4 contact is: 88845 58659. WA is the same number too

I didn’t know about them till I got the Thar. I’ll be going back next week for the Arm rests.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f76a0756dece496784e18c5a9294301c.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-707b278d1e904a3dbac5935622340335.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-0806f4f98cc745d89d388e202a56c713.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 16:51   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I totally missed attaching the picture in the previous post. Thanks Scooby for nudging me there.

I have to do two things - both involve cutting. The first one is to see if I can cut the contours of the rubber floor mat and the second one is easy.

Vin4X4 contact is: 88845 58659. WA is the same number too

I didn’t know about them till I got the Thar. I’ll be going back next week for the Arm rests.
The rubber mat is meant to be cut to the contours of the footwell.
The Dead pedal also seems like a work in progress. One, Its a little too big for the thar. Two, its too upright, should ideally be more inclined for comfort. A 3"x9" pedal at 45/50 degrees positioned in line with the depressed brake pedal would be more comfortable. This one seems like 65 degrees.
scooby05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 16:59   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, I shall cut both the mats to match the contours.

As for the size, I really didn't measure or anything. Good to know about the size and the positioning degree and thanks for that.

For the moment, I am going to be driving and will alter if I face any dis-comfort. I did a 20 KM + that had almost 80% on the NICE road today, after fitting this, and I found it comfortable.
Old 6th April 2021, 21:11   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I totally missed attaching the picture in the previous post. ..
Hey, looks like your 4x4 lever is different from mine - for the AT variants, M&M were giving 4x4 shifters without the chrome ring, at least in the initial batches.

Is everyone taking delivery of AT Thars now getting chrome-ringed 4x4 shift levers?
Old 6th April 2021, 22:02   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ph03n!x - The topic of 4x4 lever with/without chrome actually got discussed here some months back. I did try to go back several pages to see if I can locate those posts, but could not.

From what I know, it’s now coming with the chrome ring, just not sure from which month/batch onwards.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed